Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

markodaly wrote: »
    Oh, I thought you knew exactly what was going on here.... but instead, you have no idea.... funny that!
    :D

As I said, Its the Irish Clinton email scandal.

FFS! :D:D

i find it quite telling that you make statements you cant prove about one party and then deny whats obvious to the rest of us when it comes to another

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Oh, I thought you knew exactly what was going on here.... but instead, you have no idea.... funny that!

Only one problem is that there's hard evidence and admission;).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

seamus wrote: »
    Bemused, is the word.

That so many intelligent adults would even think that Village post has any substance at all.

"He said two or three times a year, but we have some texts from one guy's phone that indicate it could have been as high as ten times in 2019! Ha! Check mate!"

:confused:

I'll have to reread it, but from memory it was ten times at least that could be verified?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

maccored wrote: »
    i find it quite telling that you make statements you cant prove about one party and then deny whats obvious to the rest of us when it comes to another

Oh you get it now? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mark doing the FG Fandango of twisting and turning what is being said.

I know exactly what was done (everyone does) I don't know exaclty what was gained by doing it.

We have now been shown that Varadkar was lying to the Dáil, so potentially he has lied about other things.

A full inquiry required.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'll have to reread it, but from memory it was ten times at least that could be verified?

It was ten times, as claimed by one person.
    To verify you need a second source or a third party, which in this case does not exist.

I would expect Leo to address these spurious claims somewhat tomorrow, with more detail, which will leave the Village with its arse hanging in the wind.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Is he gone yet. He's hiding behind the flag.

It was ten times, as claimed by one person.
    To verify you need a second source or a third party, which in this case does not exist.

Who verified the 2 or 3 times a year claim for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This is pathetic.

One of the messages is that he met Leo after a rugby match. That could be as much as two hours over dinner or two minutes passing in the street. I've plenty of times told friends I met such and such when I was out, and all it was was a passing hello.

"I'm meeting Leo later". Again, could be a face to face or as part of a conference. Or it may not have happened in the end.

There's so much gap filling needed to get this to an actual story that it's embarrassing. Take the emotion or pre-existing opinion of Leo out of this and objectively, there's barely anything here.

I know exactly what was done

A full inquiry required.

If you know exactly what was done, why do you need a full inquiry? You can just tell us all!

Or maybe, just maybe.... you have no idea and are just fishing, coming up with all sorts of theories and counterfactual narratives.

As I said, this is the Irish Clinton email scandal. A whole lot of noise by the Trumpers, but in the end... nothing!

• Advertisement

If you know exactly what was done, why do you need a full inquiry? You can just tell us all!

Or maybe, just maybe.... you have no idea and are just fishing, coming up with all sorts of theories and counterfactual narratives.

As I said, this is the Irish Clinton email scandal. A whole lot of noise by the Trumpers, but in the end... nothing!

He shared a confidential document with a friend who was not entitled to it. In contravention of the Act.

That's EXACTLY what he did.

This is pathetic.

One of the messages is that he met Leo after a rugby match. That could be as much as two hours over dinner or two minutes passing in the street. I've plenty of times told friends I met such and such when I was out, and all it was was a passing hello.

"I'm meeting Leo later". Again, could be a face to face or as part of a conference. Or it may not have happened in the end.

There's so much gap filling needed to get this to an actual story that it's embarrassing. Take the emotion or pre-existing opinion of Leo out of this and objectively, there's barely anything here.

Id imagine that Leo can check his diary and say, oh on that date I was abroad, or on that date I was here on these hours... thus weakening the case even further.

Of course, as everyone is missing, just because MoT said he is going to meet Leo, doesn't mean he actually did!

He shared a confidential document with a friend who was not entitled to it. In contravention of the Act.

That's EXACTLY what he did.

What act?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

He gave a confidential contract in confidence to somebody whom he claimed was a friend he only seen 2 to 3 times a year.

That has now been completely undermined too as is any fall back excuse that he didn't know what he was doing. He knew exactly what he was doing and with whom he was doing it.

Saw,Francie ,saw.

Letting yourself down there,a chara.

You seem very distressed that the whole thing was just a puffball.

Looks like you were banking on the Big Bang here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Id imagine that Leo can check his diary and say, oh on that date I was abroad, or on that date I was here on these hours... thus weakening the case even further.

Of course, as everyone is missing, just because MoT said he is going to meet Leo, doesn't mean he actually did!

Maybe Leo shares the same magical ability Enda has and he can be in two places at the same time. (For expenses). ;)

McMurphy wrote: »
    Maybe Leo shares the same magical ability Enda has and he can be in two places at the same time. (For expenses). ;)

Maybe he has 'deleted' his diary too though.

Official Secrets Act, does not apply to TD's or Senators

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/what-does-the-law-say-on-passing-on-information-1.4396975
    At the very outset the Act states that the definition of “public office” does not include membership of either House of the Oireachtas, meaning it does not apply to TDs or senators.

:)

Council for The Village agreeing with what The Village says? Wowsers.

I know right!

You pay a lawyer and he/she gets to argue in your favour! It is their job, that doesn't mean of course they are right. That is why lawyers lose cases!! :D:D

• Advertisement

Saw,Francie ,saw.

Letting yourself down there,a chara.

You seem very distressed that the whole thing was just a puffball.

Looks like you were banking on the Big Bang here.

Fixed that for you brendi, your spacing after and before punctuation is terrible. Letting yourself down, especially when coming the grammar Nazi with others.

Saw, Francie, saw.

Letting yourself down there, a chara.

This is pathetic.

Why would he pass a confidential document to someone he met two minutes passing in the street? We've seen from other messages he's turned down helping others citing cabinet confidentiality.

I think you could do us the respect of matching a legal opinion with a legal opinion on that Mark.

A Legal Affairs journalist is kinda trumped by a barrister doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nobotty wrote: »
    That was disappointing
    For a start half the supposed meetings mightnt have happened at all
    Seamus's point on how literal 2 or 3 times a year meant also is valid
    MoT seems to have been bigging up the relationship for Chad

The Dáil cannot be misled and telling an out and out lie is misleading the Dail but describing a friendship as casual without all the details couldn't be that
    Otherwise there'd be sanctions in there every other day
    2 gay lads mixing in Dublin circle's are going to be bumping into each other often anyway without being besties

Oliver Callan will have right fun with it though, I can't wait until Fridays episode

The central issue now aside from the gossip is the garda investigation and you can bet your bottom dollar the government big wigs wouldn't be defending Vradakar so much if they thought that was going anywhere

This whole episode is a grenade that tactically would have been better thrown in the middle of an election campaign
    Its an opportunity wasted
    Wake me up if Pearse has something better than this,way better than this tomorrow

Why in gods name did a politician of Varadkars standing, he was Taoiseach and leader of FG, get himself caught up in this load of nonsense, surely to jaysus he should have just sent this MOT lad to one of his staff to take care of him?

I think this is why this story is dragging out and it is because Varadkars version is just not believable.

I am sure if the document was in the public domain all Varadkar had to do was call in one of his aides and say you know that IMO agreement that has been published will ya send it out to MOT or else just tell MOT where he can go and get simple as that, there was no need for the Taoiseach at the time to get involved is this at all and this is what is raising the questions over Varadkars story?

What was released today by The Village wouldn't really bother me as I am sure politicians meet people every day trying to sell something to the government so they can make a buck, most of these probably end with the said politician saying I will pass it on and that's the end of it. The only trouble that it can caused for Varadkar is that it shoots down his story of MOT being a casual acquaintance when he has met him at least 10 times in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

What a damp squib.

The opposition should have ran a mile from it once Paddy Cosgrave was seen to be involved. Dealing with an increasingly volatile and unstable individual there. Not good.

I think you could do us the respect of matching a legal opinion with a legal opinion on that Mark.

A Legal Affairs journalist is kinda trumped by a barrister doing his job.

Do you mean a legal affairs journalist by the Irish Times, who don't have skin in the game, versus a barrister who has been paid to write a legal opinion that gives backing to a political hit-piece?

If I pay a barrister enough, they will write me sonnets all day long! :D:D

smurgen wrote: »
    Why would he pass a confidential document to someone he met two minutes passing in the street? We've seen from other messages he's turned down helping others citing cabinet confidentiality.

Didn’t he give it to the head of a GPs Union rather than a personal friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fixed that for you brendi, your spacing after and before punctuation is terrible. Letting yourself down, especially when coming the grammar Nazi with others.

Saw, Francie, saw.

Letting yourself down there, a chara.

Always good to know what you are dealing with Francie, just helping out.

Shure didn’t even the €500,000 man D’Arcy come out with a ‘done’ today.

Don’t feel too bad....

Now back on topic, which of the three threads are you concentrating on today, I’m kinda busy.

Didn’t he give it to the head of a GPs Union rather than a personal friend?

Nope. That's not what he said in the Dail.

• Advertisement

The new dump not really biting on Twitter. This will be forgotten about next week. The Village blew their load too early.
    SF will be looking rather foolish tomorrow now, or are they going to be like Matlock, trying to ask Leo questions about his personal life in the Dail?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement