Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,876 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

glasso wrote: »
    This story has less traction than Bambi on ice at this point.

Will get plenty of traction tomorrow. Carte blanche for the opposition to damage credibility.
    As tomorrow was designed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

People wonder why infrastructure projects in this country come in at multiples of the tendering process cost and there's never the political will for accountability. Would all make you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Will get plenty of traction tomorrow. Carte blanche for the opposition to damage credibility.
    As tomorrow was designed to do.

I think today's, revelations have actually damaged MOTs texts to Bowes and strengthened Leo's description of him.

I think today's, revelations have actually damaged MOTs texts to Bowes and strengthened Leo's description of him.

One meeting is disputed.

I think this friendship was more significant than Leo outlined originally.

I am not really bothered by the personal traits of the 3 involved here. The MoNC was warranted regardless of what the Village have left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

He is a punchline, a lame duck. He won't get the heave ho but he will become the exact equivalent to what his FG backers do here - the obvious deflection from awkward questions akin to Sf and the Northern Bank.

Just because the media said it doesn't make it so - Leo was popular before he took up roles of responsibility. Did nothing in health, nothing as taoiseach other than divide his party into rural and Dublin, is seen as arrogant and aloof by the public, and is now to be seen to be unprofessional and actually a liability now.

FG will back him, then he will swan off to Europe. He won't be given any more big national roles for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'm a tax payer, have been since the late 1970s.
    I think letting a govt know they have to account for the action of all it's members, and plus their collective actions is never a waste of money.

Many many advisors plus professional spin doctors - now that's a waste of money.

No , a waste of money is renting out the convention centre tomorrow for a meaningless vote that has no chance of being carried.

With all due respect the country has better things to be doing at this moment, both with its' money and with its' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

One thing Varadkar said in his Dail statements is that he took legal counsel on lodging a defamation case and was advised that suing The Village would be like suing someone on Twitter, todays 'revelations' didn't rebuff that claim.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    No , a waste of money is renting out the convention centre tomorrow for a meaningless vote that has no chance of being carried.

With all due respect the country has better things to be doing at this moment, both with its' money and with its' time.

You cannot be serious, deciding what is 'value' for the public purse after the FG C&S government?

It's the hollow call of a party faithful ****ting themselves to go down the 'think of the cost' line. :)

Just after the 'we're in the middle of a pandemic' line was trotted out.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

smurgen wrote: »
    Varadkar could always publish his txt messages to MOT and all of his correspondence with the NAGP if he wanted to take the wind out of their sails. He could also finally go for that defamation case against those accusing him of law breaking. According to some of the big city lawyers in here it should be simple for him to clear his name of LEGAL wrong doing.

The way things are going Varadkar could just do nothing and they'll take the wind out of their own sails.

The latest big scoop is incredibly amateurish stuff. It's like something you'd read on boards.

One thing Varadkar said in his Dail statements is that he took legal counsel on lodging a defamation case and was advised that suing The Village would be like suing someone on Twitter, todays 'revelations' didn't rebuff that claim.

It was quite a revealing moment, I thought - it wasn't about his 'good name' it was about how much money he might get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I said it from the start , the entire debacle is a non-story. People are not stupid and nor do they deserve to be patronised. Everyone knows politics is a dirty game. The biggest crime here was Leo underestimating the loyalty and responsibility he awarded to Matt Tool.

The next polls will be hilarious when they come out. I guarantee you Leo's popularity will have risen. This entire fiasco will have turned out to be a PR disaster for the opposition front bench. Heads should really roll in the PR department.

I think we deserve better quality in government. After generations of cronyism I can understand the apathy, but it shouldn't be used to dismiss more of it.

I can't say were he'll be poll wise but we need government called out regardless of the agenda or perceived biases. 'not as bad as' isn't good enough. Hopefully those days are fading.

It was quite a revealing moment, I thought - it wasn't about his 'good name' it was about how much money he might get.

No. It was about the futility of suing someone when there was no chance of a deterrent, ie the only way to hurt the Village is to hit it in its pocket. Said pocket is empty bar the fluff in the seams. They couldn’t even pay their own legal fees, let alone Leo’s.

No. It was about the futility of suing someone when there was no chance of a deterrent, ie the only way to hurt the Village is to hit it in its pocket. Said pocket is empty bar the fluff in the seams. They couldn’t even pay their own legal fees, let alone Leo’s.

It was about money, not about his good name. Exactly what I said Maryanne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Woulfe under pressure now,

Varadkar could always publish his txt messages to MOT and all of his correspondence with the NAGP if he wanted to take the wind out of their sails. He could also finally go for that defamation case against those accusing him of law breaking. According to some of the big city lawyers in here it should be simple for him to clear his name of LEGAL wrong doing.

I get that you're two different people entitled to different opinions, but you're obviously staunchly on the same side of this debate and I can't help but think that no matter what happens next you'll argue that Leo Varadkar is only digging himself a bigger hole.

I get that you're two different people entitled to different opinions, but you're obviously staunchly on the same side of this debate and I can't help but think that no matter what happens next you'll argue that Leo Varadkar is only digging himself a bigger hole.

Well yes, he will dig a bigger hole if there are any more 'fairy tales'.

Remember that is why he is facing tomorrow and that hasn't gone away.

People wonder why infrastructure projects in this country come in at multiples of the tendering process cost and there's never the political will for accountability. Would all make you wonder.

This is it. We've FG and FF engaging in one bad deal for the tax payer after another. Crony behaviour and 'looking after our own' and some people don't see a problem with Leo Varadkar leaking a confidential document to a pal behind the back of ministers. They can't seem to grasp the connection and how it plays into the accepted and allowed behaviour of politicians.

Well yes, he will dig a bigger hole if there are any more 'fairy tales'.

Remember that is why he is facing tomorrow and that hasn't gone away.

Tomorrow is about the leak, that hasn't gone away despite the best intentions of his opponents, focusing on this 'how many meetings constitutes a friend' business.

The latter is what the fairy tale is, the former is the serious part. I remember that. Leo Varadkar will do well if others don't.

awec wrote: »
    The way things are going Varadkar could just do nothing and they'll take the wind out of their own sails.

The latest big scoop is incredibly amateurish stuff. It's like something you'd read on boards.

And yet you're a moderator on several boards.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

And yet you're a moderator on several boards.

Yes I am, you are very observant. Village Magazine may be interested in talking to someone with your investigative abilities. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

awec wrote: »
    Yes I am, you are very observant. Village Magazine may be interested in talking to someone with your investigative abilities. :)

When they lose a debate, they will have a cut at you!

It was about money, not about his good name. Exactly what I said Maryanne.

I feel your pain, Frankie. Today’s “revelations” were just pitiful, sad attempts at the Villages sources to be relevant. Unfortunately for them, it failed miserably. Soz.

I feel your pain, Frankie. Today’s “revelations” were just pitiful, sad attempts at the Villages sources to be relevant. Unfortunately for them, it failed miserably. Soz.

Psst Maryanne...MoNC in the Tanaiste supported by the major opposition parties tomorrow.

I am not politically naive enough to trumpet (as some have) that the only purpose of a MoNC is to remove the TD.

It is designed to damage all 3 parties in the government and this controversy already has.

The government of Chaos continues...Judge Woulfe supplying the next installment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,979 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Leo's timing is to be fair exquisite, now his supreme court Judge nominee has been told to resign by the chief justice, further distractions from this story expected, albeit I suspect this latest development from Golf Gate will leave more stains on the reputation of FG and that's perfectly fine by me

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

2nd last item on the news. Just before the 'and finally' section involving some young lad from Offaly selling timber reindeer.

This is becoming highly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

2nd last item on the news. Just before the 'and finally' section involving some young lad from Offaly selling timber reindeer.

This is becoming highly amusing.

Stocious Seamy was first so 2 FG impropriety stories in 25minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Stocious Seamy was first so 2 FG impropriety stories in 25minutes

The Irish Constitution establishes and describes the main institutions of the State. The power to run the State is divided into 3 separate branches:
    • The legislature (or legislative branch)
    • The executive (or executive branch)
    • The judiciary (or judicial branch)

You learn this sort of stuff for the Junior Cert.

The Irish Constitution establishes and describes the main institutions of the State. The power to run the State is divided into 3 separate branches:
    • The legislature (or legislative branch)
    • The executive (or executive branch)
    • The judiciary (or judicial branch)

You learn this sort of stuff for the Junior Cert.

FG appointment arrogantly gives two fingers to us all. Not a good look at the moment to be honest is it?

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Leo's timing is to be fair exquisite, now his supreme court Judge nominee has been told to resign by the chief justice, further distractions from this story expected, albeit I suspect this latest development from Golf Gate will leave more stains on the reputation of FG and that's perfectly fine by me

Not at Varadkar's political appointee has cheapened the judiciary and that appointee's superior has asked him to resign. It's shows further Varadkar's own lack of judgement.

• Advertisement

With his man Woulfe in the news and well Varadkar being Varadkar I'd say decent FG'ers want rid of the chancer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement