Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,850 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Again, the hypocrisy on display tonight gets nailed. Heart tugger Simon perpetually in search of the viral comment just managed to make himself look silly.

https://twitter.com/FCTwenteBenson/status/1326236760024690693

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

WicklaWolf wrote: »
    This is it. A terrible precedent is set and standards publicly lowered.

And there's still a strong case this leak was illegal...

It will probably come back to bite them on ass when someone leaks a document that shouldn't have been leaked and FFG won't be able to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

/\/ollog wrote: »
    92 people have confidence that any public servant can now share details of a deal if they want to.

I wonder if a civil servant was to repeat what Leo did, and was fired...Could they argue to sacking to be unlawful and use Leo keeping his job as precedent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Absolutely the right decision made tonight.

The headline of “Taoiseach leaks confidential document to friend” does sound like a juicy scandal. However when you dig into the story and gather all the facts and bring them into context I see nothing but an error of judgment. I do honestly believe it was done in good faith to get this vital deal over the line. The result is we have a deal that GP’s were able to individually accept or not and they did overwhelmingly as well as an improvement in GP care for the public. On the flip side the so called beneficiaries of this leak are now defunct as an organisation so it’s clear there was no true benefit.

I do think we are beginning to see a real divide in politics here with people picking sides and sticking. Am I guilty? Perhaps but the environment of populist politics from various sides is encouraging this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

FF left exposed as the party that supports the old boys club yet again. Some thing never change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

Adli should be jumping on this, Leo the leek to go along with Kevin the Carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Adli should be jumping on this, Leo the leek to go along with Kevin the Carrot.

If the leeks are Irish grown too, it would be a poisoned chalice to for the government to kick up a fuss:D

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

s1ippy wrote: »
    Varadkar is actually claiming fake news and saying that the Village is damaging to democracy.

In fairness, the Village made that rod for their own back with the latest release that was as weak as water, and contained numerous "facts" that were debunked within hours of publication.

Overplayed their hand and weakened the whole story.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Love how these threads attract the recently registered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

smurgen wrote: »

She's generally very good IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Gatling wrote: »
    Love how these threads attract the recently registered

How dare you.

The Village looks like idiots now! What a waste of time and energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WicklaWolf

IngazZagni wrote: »

The headline of “Taoiseach leaks confidential document to friend” does sound like a juicy scandal. However when you dig into the story and gather all the facts and bring them into context I see nothing but an error of judgment. I do honestly believe it was done in good faith to get this vital deal over the line. The result is we have a deal that GP’s were able to individually accept or not and they did overwhelmingly as well as an improvement in GP care for the public. On the flip side the so called beneficiaries of this leak are now defunct as an organisation so it’s clear there was no true benefit.

I do think we are beginning to see a real divide in politics here with people picking sides and sticking. Am I guilty? Perhaps but the environment of populist politics from various sides is encouraging this.

I disagree wholeheartedly on your first point - standards are now lowered. Something may come of legal case yet.

But yes the polarisation in Irish politics is growing. The divisiveness and attacks tonight by FG were insane. SF are no angels in this regard.

You can see clearly , it's FG vs SF going forward. Right vs left and it's going to be pretty nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Way too many wet themselves with excitement over LVs imminent downfall. Rightly or wrongly judgements were clouded by personal feelings rather than the facts at hand.

You thought that when the story broke in fairness. You never believed a word of it, even when Leo admitted to it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

We owe them gratitude for breaking the story, (on how LV leaked a confidential document regarding the IMO, to a rival organisation because his friend asked him to) in the first place.

Not really the story about Leo's wrongdoing was true.

They were right to publish it.

They should have just left it with what they published first instead of putting out more stuff that meant nothing. Yesterdays release was a joke, they built it up and there was nothing in it. If anything comes there way again no one will pay attention.

Floppybits wrote: »
    They should have just left it with what they published first instead of putting out more stuff that meant nothing. Yesterdays release was a joke, they built it up and there was nothing in it. If anything comes there way again no one will pay attention.

I agree yesterday's release was pointless.

I agree yesterday's release was pointless.

I actually thought they killed the story yesterday. I was almost asking myself did they get a call to kill the story in return for some "Favours" such was the pointlessness of yesterdays release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

True but i thought they had something more juicy in the pipeline with their teasing after the initial article

They should have been wise enough to realise that they were being played like a fiddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

IngazZagni wrote: »

As a civil servant, if I did what he did I'd be in court for breaking the official secrets act. These parties will never again get my vote.

As a civil servant, if I did what he did I'd be in court for breaking the official secrets act. These parties will never again get my vote.

Not anymore, now the Leo defense can be used. This is going to come back to bite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A fcukin jokeshop of a setup.

Democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Village idiots you couldn't make that up .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Floppybits wrote: »
    Not anymore, now the Leo defense can be used. This is going to come back to bite them.

Ministers can decide when to release.
    A civil servant can’t.

It’s why this was never going to be big.

Gatling wrote: »
    Village idiots you couldn't make that up .

Feigning political naivety does you no favours.

The reality is that this call to account has done serious reputational damage to Varadkar and to his party. It has also copperfastened the public image that FG and FF are now one and the same.

The Greens...well the Greens have proved themselves capable of destroying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ministers can decide when to release.
    A civil servant can’t.

That's the key issue.

As Taoiseach he was allowed release this.

It's all there in black and white, rightly or wrongly.

• Advertisement

That's the key issue.

As Taoiseach he was allowed release this.

It's all their in black and white, rightly or wrongly.

I think we will have to wait for SIPO to decide that issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement