Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I see Chay Bowes is using the publicity to promote his new business venture.

Paddy Cosgrave retweeted it also, wonder is he involved.

https://twitter.com/BowesChay/status/1326241921887571968?s=19

Disfunctional, I would have thought............

Pull up the ones about

"The village have more to come...Varadkar will be gone by Friday...The government will fall on this..."

They were funnier. I was more or less right. This issue is done now. Ended with an overwhelming endorsement of confidence in Leo and SF have made themselves look like tits once again.

Correct and right Paddy, wasting govt time, wasting taxpayers money, all, like what’s going on here on on this excellent platform just to try to embarrass the Govt.

These lads turning the place into the poor mans Twitter

Not good for the site in my opinion, I wouldn’t like to see it metamorphose into Twitter 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Youve got go be kidding me. Vote for murderous, money laundering thugs.. Even if they now wear suits.... Not a hope

I’m in the same quandary. We’ve literally no one decent to vote for in this country. FFG are one and the same and corrupt as fcuk. The Greens and Labour are absolutely useless. SF are SF, economically illiterate and dodgy as fcuk.

And I can’t see any change any time soon. Look at this thread as an example. People willing to completely overlook corruption because Leo is on their “team”. Pathetic, but we get the govt we deserve.

I know the feeling.....everybody ‘corrupt’ except me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I’m in the same quandary. We’ve literally no one decent to vote for in this country. FFG are one and the same and corrupt as fcuk. The Greens and Labour are absolutely useless. SF are SF, economically illiterate and dodgy as fcuk.

And I can’t see any change any time soon. Look at this thread as an example. People willing to completely overlook corruption because Leo is on their “team”. Pathetic, but we get the govt we deserve.

To an extent we get the government we deserve. But as you say there is absolutely no one to vote for bar Sinn Fein, which is far from ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Am I missing something or did the government vote confidence in itself and everyone else except 3 independents voted no confidence?

It doesn't exactly instill ME with confidence.

I know the feeling.....everybody ‘corrupt’ except me.

I’m not a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

sabat wrote: »
    But have Fine Gael foolishly played the all-out attack on Sinn Féin card when it was probably unnecessary? That's now gone from their armoury when they'll really need to use it and it's still very early in the life of the dáil. They're generating a lot of negative feedback on sm from their approach and any attempt to use it again will just help SF.

It is funny to see seasoned FGers here play the politically naive game and claim a victory for FG.

The reality is that the image FG have built so tenaciously to distinguish themselves from FF is finally demolished.

One and the same now. And that as this government progresses is the serious below the water line damage to their USP.

As I said at the start, I would nearly prefer Varadkar surviving. Long term it s more damaging.

It is funny to see seasoned FGers here play the politically naive game and claim a victory for FG.

The reality is that the image FG have built so tenaciously to distinguish themselves from FF is finally demolished.

One and the same now. And that as this government progresses is the serious below the water line damage to their USP.

As I said at the start, I would nearly prefer Varadkar surviving. Long term it s more damaging.

They are literally indistinguishable now. Time to rebrand as FFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

They are literally indistinguishable now. Time to rebrand as FFG.

Two cheeks of the same arse :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

s1ippy wrote: »

Aww, shïte, not Loki De Búrca as well? Once Loki has gone rogue then you know it’s time for Michael to head up to the Áras and call an election. It’s over. The Government has lost the will of the Twitter people.

Lot of long faces and anger here this morning John, .........lads are very subdued.

Not even one Twitter grab inserted, and I’m up and working for the last two hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Séamus Woulfe could be removed from office by votes in Dáil and Seanad (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/s%C3%A9amus-woulfe-could-be-removed-from-office-by-votes-in-d%C3%A1il-and-seanad-1.4405891

As a result of yesterday's back-patting, they're not going to be in a very strong position now during this vote.

Lot of long faces and anger here this morning John, .........lads are very subdued.

Not even one Twitter grab inserted, and I’m up and working for the last two hours.

Watching this one and laughing through my cornflakes Brendi.

877 comments! - you'll get the gist of it after the first 30 or so. We have seen FG's high moral grounding backfire before. This looks like it will be monumental. It's best summed up as , FG seem to have nowhere to turn but to bile and attack politics.
    https://twitter.com/FineGael/status/1326274488921690112

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

No gloating lads. A former Taoiseach and current tánaiste caught slipping documents to friends in an underhand way is nothing to celebrate nó matter how it came about.
    A major embarrassment for him and very humbling I'd say to have to face a no confidence motion.
    Hope he learns from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No gloating lads. A former Taoiseach and current tánaiste caught slipping documents to friends in an underhand way is nothing to celebrate nó matter how it came about.
    A major embarrassment for him and very humbling I'd say to have to face a no confidence motion.
    Hope he learns from it.
    Think that happened when he was forced to apologise to the Dail. SF tabling motions of no-confidence are far too frequent to be taken anyway seriously.

Hope he learns from it.

Bish, when you are out in the real world, moving and shaking things, getting things done, moving the country along for the benefit of the taxpayer with better healthservices, slip ups are bound to occur.

Lookit up North.... still roaring and shouting over the ‘lockdown’ same a down south with the same coterie, roaring and shouting, wasting taxpayers money and achieving what..........apart from big wedges for themselves.........zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

877 comments! - you'll get the gist of it after the first 30 or so. We have seen FG's high moral grounding backfire before. This looks like it will be monumental. It's best summed up as , FG seem to have nowhere to turn but to bile and attack politics.

Any of the FG posts of TD's posts I've seen have been ratios. Christ FG are crashing and burning. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Bish, when you are out in the real world, moving and shaking things, getting things done, moving the country along for the benefit of the taxpayer with better healthservices, slip ups are bound to occur.

Lookit up North.... still roaring and shouting over the ‘lockdown’ same a down south with the same coterie, roaring and shouting, wasting taxpayers money and achieving what..........apart from big wedges for themselves.........zero.

No, the governing and political world Brendan.
    It's different i know.
    But if that lad worked for me and a lot of other private individuals and small companies he'd be shown the door for it in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

A governing party releasing misleading public statements, and after a day of them dropping Trump's name everywhere as a style of politics we need to keep out of Ireland.

This was a motion of confidence tabled by the government themselves, and that they themselves demanded be heard last night at the extra cost. I'm glad to see they're being called on it under the tweet.

I'm no great fan of Leo Varadkar, Fine Gael or any of the big political parties in Ireland. In saying that, I don't think he should have to resign over this; he apologised and explained he made an error of judgment. The way he went about things was inappropriate, but there was no real, material end result from it. If that's all there is to it, then I think things have gone far enough. I am, however, appalled by the fact that our public representatives aren't mature enough to explain their confidence in their Tánaiste on his merits, and not by trying to score points off Sinn Féin.

What does a funeral that took place in Northern Ireland months ago have to do with the level of confidence they have in someone who wasn't there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

are those lyrics lifted from "Put em under pressure"?

Do the rest of us chime in with Olé Olé Olé Olé, Olé Olé now?

For the benefit of the non-tax payer really, as the big money makers don't pay tax.

And our social welfare system is woeful, it is a trap that people can't get out of, rather than a conspiracy of entitled people. And anyone who thinks everyone on the dole is a scrounger is ill informed.

And our health system leaks money, our education system gives money to the wrong things, etc etc.. I could go on and in from the micro to the macro in this country of mismanagement of funding.

My point being which tax payers are benefiting exactly? I just see an exhausted squeezed middle getting more and more exhausted with fewer and fewer services and it's just going to get worse under this government as their economic model crashes after Covid.

I don't vote sinn fein before you accuse me of anything - I don't think they are ready to be in full government. And I'm confused as what relevance they have to Leo's actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

zanador wrote: »
    For the benefit of the non-tax payer really, as the big money makers don't pay tax.

And our social welfare system is woeful, it is a trap that people can't get out of, rather than a conspiracy of entitled people. And anyone who thinks everyone on the dole is a scrounger is ill informed.

And our health system leaks money, our education system gives money to the wrong things, etc etc.. I could go on and in from the micro to the macro in this country of mismanagement of funding.

My point being which tax payers are benefiting exactly? I just see an exhausted squeezed middle getting more and more exhausted with fewer and fewer services and it's just going to get worse under this government as their economic model crashes after Covid.

I don't vote sinn fein before you accuse me of anything - I don't think they are ready to be in full government. And I'm confused as what relevance they have to Leo's actions?

Which big money makers don't pay tax?

Which big money makers don't pay tax?

Anyone who can afford advice on any loopholes which allow them not to. Individuals or corporations.

No, the governing and political world Brendan.
    It's different i know.
    But if that lad worked for me and a lot of other private individuals and small companies he'd be shown the door for it in fairness.

Bish, all well and fine to say that, but the salient point is ‘ CONTEXT’.

This has been thrashed out, apologies been made, context has been taken into account, past record examined, questions asked and answered in public,under the brightest of spotlights, vote of confidence gotten....

I think it’s time to put this one to bed.........:D

Bish, all well and fine to say that, but the salient point is ‘ CONTEXT’.

This has been thrashed out, apologies been made, context has been taken into account, past record examined, questions asked and answered in public,under the brightest of spotlights, vote of confidence gotten....

I think it’s time to put this one to bed.........:D

That I agree with.
    It's the political wagon and it rolls on.
    There needs to be concentration on the future.
    Lots to do and all in all with the election we had, the best of it leading on i feel.

This article says it all. It’s over. The village idiots lost.

“Miriam Lord: Coalition rows in behind Leo as Sinn Féin battered from pillar to post
    Party’s meaningless buzzwords, soundbites and rehashed arguments fail to find traction”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-coalition-rows-in-behind-leo-as-sinn-f%C3%A9in-battered-from-pillar-to-post-1.4405906

That I agree with.
    It's the political wagon and it rolls on.
    There needs to be concentration on the future.
    Lots to do and all in all with the election we had, the best of it leading on i feel.

A 'future' where the precedent is now set. As a Taoiseach you can do whatever you like as long as you say it was in 'the best interests of the state'.

To all the opposition who stood up and were counted on this, I say, well done. You could not walk away from it, regardless of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

“Miriam Lord: Coalition rows in behind Leo as Sinn Féin battered from pillar to post
    Party’s meaningless buzzwords, soundbites and rehashed arguments fail to find traction”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-coalition-rows-in-behind-leo-as-sinn-f%C3%A9in-battered-from-pillar-to-post-1.4405906

Would you think this whole episode has done any damage to Varadkar?

• Advertisement

Rather than 'failed to find traction' I would say that yesterday 'they failed to find a backbone, because the backbones have now fused together to protect the power base/swap'. Not as redtoppy as Miriam's article but you get the drift.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement