Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This article says it all. It’s over. The village idiots lost.

“Miriam Lord: Coalition rows in behind Leo as Sinn Féin battered from pillar to post
    Party’s meaningless buzzwords, soundbites and rehashed arguments fail to find traction”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-coalition-rows-in-behind-leo-as-sinn-f%C3%A9in-battered-from-pillar-to-post-1.4405906

Behind a paywall, but is this first paragraph not parody:confused:
    The perpetually affronted tried to topple the Tánaiste again on Tuesday. Different arena, same tired rhetoric. It was their second attempt in a week. The omens were bad. Sinn Féin decided to go after Leo Varadkar on November 10th, the Feast Day of St Leo the Great. If we didn’t know this before the Dáil vote of confidence in the Fine Gael leader we knew it afterwards because Leo’s Coalition cheerleaders canonised him on the spot during the debate.

Anyone any of the rest of the article, because so far as I'm reading that's a piss take, and a piss take at Leo's expense.

"Saint Leo the Great"

"Coalition cheerleaders"

"Canonised"

I can't help get the feeling you may be missing a very obvious piece of sarcasm Maryanne.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Would you think this whole episode has done any damage to Varadkar?

Overall, I don’t think so. Most people can read between the lines. Someone with a grudge against Leo used others as pawns to damage his reputation. It backfired. Leo fessed up. He’d acted in good faith. Maybe a bit naive but well meant. It didn’t change the basic content of the agreement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Change Please 21

Of course not, according to the FFG fan club, Leo done nothing wrong, only trying to do good by his country.

As for Fine Gael trying to make out that it was Sinn Feins fault they had to move from the Dail is quite amazing really. What did simple Simon say, Trump politics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

“Miriam Lord: Coalition rows in behind Leo as Sinn Féin battered from pillar to post
    Party’s meaningless buzzwords, soundbites and rehashed arguments fail to find traction”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-coalition-rows-in-behind-leo-as-sinn-f%C3%A9in-battered-from-pillar-to-post-1.4405906

They need to sack the strategist that came up with this entire fiasco. It was really desperate stuff. Paddy Cosgrave, Twitter morons, WhatsApp messages, some glorified blog, Permanently Outraged Pearse, Aodhán ‘Perry Mason’ Ó Ríordáin.

Absolute laughingstock. Lot of time and emotional effort wasted around here as well tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

They need to sack the strategist that came up with this entire fiasco. It was really desperate stuff. Paddy Cosgrave, Twitter morons, WhatsApp messages, some glorified blog, Permanently Outraged Pearse, Aodhán ‘Perry Mason’ Ó Ríordáin.

Absolute laughingstock. Lot of time and emotional effort wasted around here as well tbh.

You know all of those people are separate entities and not at all related?

• Advertisement

You're right some older woman has called it. Everyone now feels the same as her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

As always, the national treasure that is Miriam Lord sums it all up.
    All that glisters is not gold and Lord is certainly no treasure. She's a stupid person's idea of someone witty in a newspaper that is rapidly declining in terms of readership and relevance.
    Pay for journalism, folks.
    That isn't journalism. It is just an exhibition of bias catering for the intellectually challenged. The rest of it is typical of the dead trees media: yesterday's news tomorrow! No wonder the supporters of FFG, yesterday's parties, love it.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Tanaiste admitted to wrongdoing as Taoiseach. He probably won't be Taoiseach again as a result.

His nickname will stick to him like the proverbial **** to a blanket. Everytime it is mentioned it will remind people of this interlude.

jmcc wrote: »
    All that glisters is not gold and Lord is certainly no treasure. She's a stupid person's idea of someone witty in a newspaper that is rapidly declining in terms of readership and relevance.

That isn't journalism. It is just an exhibition of bias catering for the intellectually challenged. The rest of it is typical of the dead trees media: yesterday's news tomorrow! No wonder the supporters of FFG, yesterday's parties, love it.

Regards...jmcc

Nothing worse than a failed hack being nasty about people who made a career out of journalism.

Regards,

Flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I've never voted for SF but it feels like Jennifer MacNeill is almost daring me to do so every time I have the misfortune of hearing her speak. The worst kind of FG Tory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Genuinely, no.

Outside of the usual crew on Twitter who spend their days comparing Varadkar to Thatcher, anyone I've spoken to on this topic thinks it's a pointless waste of time and energy from SF. A cynical smear campaign over a minor misstep.

The only people making a deal out of this are people who would never have sent a vote within 1,000km of the current government anyway.

Even on this thread, all of the people claiming Varadkar's reputation is in the bin are SF or PBP voters.

That's what I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The government need some kind of win soon to erase it from the minds of the electorate.

If this Seamus Woulfe issue isn't handled with some skill the damage might not only be lasting but compounded.

The government need some kind of win soon to erase it from the minds of the electorate.

If this Seamus Woulfe issue isn't handled with some skill the damage might not only be lasting but compounded.

Another issue that no one really gives a shïte about.

People care about Covid and having some semblance of a normal Christmas.

You can have that nugget of info for nothing.

Nothing worse than a failed hack being nasty about people who made a career out of journalism.
    Obviously you are a member of the target audience for Lord's wibblings. The criticism is of the unthinking and fanatical FFGers. Lord is merely what you think passes for "journalism".

Evidently, you are not bright enough to understand that Lord's efforts are part of a declining newspaper putting the boot in on anyone who is not FFG and trying to sell a political disaster as a triumph. Varadkar is damaged goods. He has been leaking for years and now the leak of the contract is on the Dail record.

The Irish Times stopped being a newspaper decades ago and switched to being a viewspaper. But at least your FFG vote is assured. However, with FF on 11% according to some of the most recent polls and the support for the Greens also declining, this Leo The Leak fiasco is something that only benefits SF.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

seamus wrote: »
    Genuinely, no.

Outside of the usual crew on Twitter who spend their days comparing Varadkar to Thatcher, anyone I've spoken to on this topic thinks it's a pointless waste of time and energy from SF. A cynical smear campaign over a minor misstep.

The only people making a deal out of this are people who would never have sent a vote within 1,000km of the current government anyway.

Even on this thread, all of the people claiming Varadkar's reputation is in the bin are SF or PBP voters.

That's what I see.

And in my opinion you usually see it correctly.

Evidently, you are not bright enough to understand that Lord's efforts are part of a declining newspaper putting the boot in on anyone who is not SF and trying to sell a political disaster as a triumph. Varadkar is damaged goods. He has been leaking for years and now the leak of the contract is on the Dail record.

I'm bright enough to realise you are contradicting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Overall, I don’t think so. Most people can read between the lines. Someone with a grudge against Leo used others as pawns to damage his reputation. It backfired. Leo fessed up. He’d acted in good faith. Maybe a bit naive but well meant. It didn’t change the basic content of the agreement.

I can well see how it mightn't have an impact among the diehard Shirts, nothing probably would, but most ordinary decent neutral folk with an interest in politics and political corruption will see Varadkar as damaged goods, winning a vote of no-confidence that he was guaranteed to win based on the numbers game won't change that. I wouldn't now trust Varadkar as far as I'd throw him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Another issue that no one really gives a shïte about.

People care about Covid and having some semblance of a normal Christmas.

You can have that nugget of info for nothing.

Its very much a recurring headline issue and it will be a tricky needle to thread if the government are going to avoid further challenges to their credibility.

Obviously you are w member of the target audience for Lord's wibblings. The criticism is of the unthinking and fanatical FFGers. Lord is merely what you think passes for "journalism".

Evidently, you are not bright enough to understand that Lord's efforts are part of a declining newspaper putting the boot in on anyone who is not SF and trying to sell a political disaster as a triumph. Varadkar is damaged goods. He has been leaking for years and now the leak of the contract is on the Dail record.

Regards...jmcc

so you've just said that Lord is pro-SF

who is bright and who is not :pac: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Genuinely, no.

That's what I see.

I see Leo will always be 'The Leak'.

That FF going to bat for FG has further blurred the lines between the two parties making one of them irrelevant - all that lies between them now is old tribalism. Speaking of which - you can be sure the FF backbench knives are being sharpened.
    The Irish Left managed to unite. Inconceivable!
    For the first time in the history of the State we have a genuine govt/opposition situation rather than the rota system we previously 'enjoyed'.

That's what I see.
    But without the need to have a dig at other posters political affiliations.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »

Need more coffee. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

glasso wrote: »

I think the point was lord was putting the boot into many including those not sfers, but assuming they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I can well see how it mightn't have an impact among the diehard Shirts, nothing probably would, but most ordinary decent neutral folk with an interest in politics and political corruption will see Varadkar as damaged goods, winning a vote of no-confidence that he was guaranteed to win based on the numbers game won't change that. I wouldn't now trust Varadkar as far as I'd throw him.

Have to say and fair play to ye, I have never read so many righteous and honest and trustworthy folk as I have this morning.

There must be a gorse fire up in the windswept hills :cool:

Genuinely, no.

That's what I see.

Anyone I've spoken to on this didn't see it as 'a minor misstep', they see it as the wilful leaking of a 'Confidential/not for publication' document to a buddy, at best a breach of confidentiality, at worst well we'll have to see if the Gardai come up with anything, nobody I've spoken to believes the fairytale altruistic motive of advancing the IMO agreement. We obviously speak with a different set of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Obviously you are w member of the target audience for Lord's wibblings. The criticism is of the unthinking and fanatical FFGers. Lord is merely what you think passes for "journalism".

Evidently, you are not bright enough to understand that Lord's efforts are part of a declining newspaper putting the boot in on anyone who is not FFG and trying to sell a political disaster as a triumph. Varadkar is damaged goods. He has been leaking for years and now the leak of the contract is on the Dail record.

The Irish Times stopped being a newspaper decades ago and switched to being a viewspaper. But at least your FFG vote is assured. However, with FF on 11% according to some of the most recent polls and the support for the Greens also declining, this Leo The Leak fiasco is something that only benefits SF.

Regards...jmcc

Lord would describe herself as an 'opinion' writer not a journalist. I think it is even filed under 'opinion' in the newspaper. A quick google will show you she will lambast FG on any given day too.

That the FG boys and gals are holding an opinion piece up here as some sort of win is funny.

I have never read so many righteous and honest and trustworthy folk as I have this morning.

You appear to have an issue with righteous, honest and trustworthy.

There's two things now certain after this saga. FFG are the one entity and Leo Varadkar is a leaker of commercially sensitive documents.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McMurphy wrote: »
    Behind a paywall, but is this first paragraph not parody:confused:

Anyone any of the rest of the article, because so far as I'm reading that's a piss take, and a piss take at Leo's expense.

"Saint Leo the Great"

"Coalition cheerleaders"

"Canonised"

I can't help get the feeling you may be missing a very obvious piece of sarcasm Maryanne.

Lord is taking the piss out of the entire charade.

She is taking the piss out of FG and FF for eulogizing Varadkar, and she is taking the piss out of SF for their swing and a miss, which ended up in them getting battered.

It was all fart and no **** in the end. The smoking gun never emerged, as more details were released, the dafter the story became and the less credibility it had. Basic facts incorrect, claims of Varadkar meeting the whistleblower when Varadkar was in Brussels. I don't really understand how they could possibly have got that one wrong, the only explanation is there was not even a basic investigation of allegations to figure out the truth from the fiction.

It looked more and more like sheer opportunism, people who don't like Varadkar (and there are many) thinking they had their chance to bring him down, but ultimately blowing their load too early over something so wishy washy.

I think in hindsight, SF would not go for the no confidence vote again, at least not yet, because they'd see that Village Magazine wasn't going to deliver anything they needed.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I see Leo will always be 'The Leak'.
    That's a major problem for FFG and for Varadkar personally. While it is expected that all politicians leak to the media, this is a PR disaster for the Varadkar and FFG. It is like the time that all the promotion of Noonan's economic genius was destroyed when SF pointed out that he got the whole Fiscal Space thing wrong. Varadkar did worse than leak to the media. He leaked to his friend. The victory for SF was in having FFG defend such activity and to do it as part of a motion of no confidence. This leak by Varadkar raises the question of whether there were other leaks.
    That FF going to bat for FG has further blurred the lines between the two parties making one of them irrelevant - all that lies between them now is old tribalism. Speaking of which - you can be sure the FF backbench knives are being sharpened.
    It will be interesting to see what happens if FF support goes below 10% in the next opinion poll. The problem, at the moment, is that FF's support appears to be lower than it really is in the opinion polls that use telephone/online polling. Face to face polling generally shows that they have a higher level of support. The psychological effect of FF going below 10% in an opinion poll will probably set Martin's demise in motion. McSharry seems to be a stalking horse but O'Callaghan is probably waiting for the right time.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nice to see Coveney referring to Leo been the only one in 2014 who came out and supported Maurice McCabe and kept the story going when it broke.

I've seen the SF posters here bringing up Maurice McCabe a few times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement