Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Another issue that no one really gives a shïte about.

People care about Covid and having some semblance of a normal Christmas.

You can have that nugget of info for nothing.

And that right there explains the shoite state of affairs in this country.
    Poeple care more about getting their hands on a PS5 for Christmas then the appointment of inept perjurers to the highest decision making court in the land because: 'jobs for the boys that covered our ass', or a taoiseach that gives 'reports to the boys' because that's how government is supposed to operated aparently.
    Truly we get the representation we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

conorhal wrote: »
    Poeple care more about getting their hands on a PS5 for Christmas then the appointment of inept perjurers to the highest decision making court in the land because: 'jobs for the boys that covered our ass', or a taoiseach that gives 'reports to the boys' because that's how government is supposed to operated aparently.

:confused:

What was that about...."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

conorhal wrote: »

Don’t shoot the messenger, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Village taking a broadside at our media. Not unjustified IMO.

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Lads you can place this whole silly saga on to this list of things that the Pintman got right.

Despite the bluster and grand predictions of governments falling and Leo being gone within days, it was a total damp squib.

A lot of egg on posters of this thread's face. Embarassed themselves in a frenzied excitement reading tweets by that tool Cosgrave and that dodgy squealer Chat Bowes.

Should've listened to the Pintman.

All I've issue with is Leo Varadkar leaking, upon request, a confidential IMO negotiation document to a pal, then head of a rival organisation.
    All the rest is merely people tripping up and FF/FG/Greens excusing and shoulder shrugging what LV did.
    All the character assassinations and smears from the FG lobby won't bury that and make FG come off worse IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I thought Varadkars references to Village as 'an unregulated fringe publication' were appalling but not unsurprising for someone who purports to be a democrat but really only likes the fourth estate when they are in his pocket. We're a free country with a free press, and Leo the sook best get used to it.

If he's in a strop about what was published, he should sh*t or get off the pot and take a case against them, not make veiled threats about a publication in a free society. Smith (the editor) is an experienced barrister so would have likely weighed up the consequences of publishing this material.

Yurt! wrote: »
    I thought Varadkars references to Village as 'an unregulated fringe publication' were appalling but not unsurprising for someone who purports to be a democrat but really only likes the fourth estate when they are in his pocket. We're a free country with a free press, and Leo the sook best get used to it.

If he's in a strop about what was published, he should sh*t or get off the pot and take a case against them, not make veiled threats about a publication in a free society. Smith (the editor) is an experienced barrister so would have likely weighed up the consequences of publishing this material.

The track record he mentions regarding defamation cases (I have no resaon to disbelieve him) speaks for itself.

The Village has done some investigative work into all parties in this country, time some of our much vaunted journalists came out in support here, regardless of what they think of the claims, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The fix is in, and the assassins are at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

IF The Village do another story on another politician from another party not in government similar to the one they did on Leo Varadkar you can bet all the folks now calling The Village a load of Tripe or they wouldn't wipe their arse with it would be singing its praises from the roof tops and I include Leo Varadkar in this.

It is the hypocrisy that is the sickening part in all this because if the same document was leaked by one of the opposition do you think that FG wouldn't be shouting about it or their supporters. It is just a joke what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Floppybits wrote: »
    IF The Village do another story on another politician from another party not in government similar to the one they did on Leo Varadkar you can bet all the folks now calling The Village a load of Tripe or they wouldn't wipe their arse with it would be singing its praises from the roof tops and I include Leo Varadkar in this.

It is the hypocrisy that is the sickening part in all this because if the same document was leaked by one of the opposition do you think that FG wouldn't be shouting about it or their supporters. It is just a joke what is going on.

Based on this episode, The Village is the pits. I don't care who they're writing about I won't be reading their tripe again.

• Advertisement

God love them. It didn’t turn out how they expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Based on this episode, The Village is the pits. I don't care who they're writing about I won't be reading their tripe again.

Oh I don't disagree with you on that. Infact the behavior of the The Village after the initial story about Varadkar leaking the document was unprofessional. The Village actually killed their own story with the other crap they published. I think that if they had of just published the story they did at the start and then left it at that it would have been harder for Varadkar but the other messages the published were just a bunch of posh schoolboys having a tiff with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder if they will have anything to say about the senad vote on a certain 4 million donation

The Tanaiste admitting to wrongdoing while he was Taoiseach? I'd say that was a fairly spectacular result myself.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Oh I don't disagree with you on that. Infact the behavior of the The Village after the initial story about Varadkar leaking the document was unprofessional. The Village actually killed their own story with the other crap they published. I think that if they had of just published the story they did at the start and then left it at that it would have been harder for Varadkar but the other messages the published were just a bunch of posh schoolboys having a tiff with each other.

I would have agreed with the idea that the publication of the second tranche of Whatapps was unwise, but what Smith says about that 'publishing all they had' makes sense now.

Gatling wrote: »
    Wonder if they will have anything to say about the senad vote on a certain 4 million donation

Why wouldn't they if there is something to reveal. Somebody just quoted the Village in another thread in a reveal of SF members who were in the IRA.

Having read it over the years I never discerned any favourtism to any party if there was a story to be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Bowie wrote: »
    All I've issue with is Leo Varadkar leaking, upon request, a confidential IMO negotiation document to a pal, then head of a rival organisation.
    All the rest is merely people tripping up and FF/FG/Greens excusing and shoulder shrugging what LV did.
    All the character assassinations and smears from the FG lobby won't bury that and make FG come off worse IMO.

Not really, SF came off looking bad for swallowing the reasoning behind the story and the motivation of it.
    They were played like a fiddle by a vested interest in a game.
    The tweeting of the time to move on by Bowes and Cosgrave when the vote was lost is testament to that.
    A political party that easily manipulated are a dangerous entity.

Not really, SF came off looking bad for swallowing the reasoning behind the story and the motivation of it.
    The tweeting of the time to move on by Bowes and Cosgrave when the vote was lost is testament to that.

So an opposition party having found out that a Tanaiste while Taoiseach did what he did should just have backed off? :):)

Is that what you are saying here? They shouldn't have looked for a sanction of some sort?

Leaving aside the political opportunity what 'opposition' party would have emerged with a shred of credibility if they backed away from that?

So an opposition party having found out that a Tanaiste while Taoiseach did what he did should just have backed off? :):)

Is that what you are saying here? They shouldn't have looked for a sanction of some sort?

Leaving aside the political opportunity what 'opposition' party would have emerged with a shred of credibility of they backed away from that?

Yes perhaps, waited till the got the full gist of the revelations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No, I covered that under "All the character assassinations and smears from the FG lobby won't bury that and make FG come off worse IMO." That's how I see it.
    What FG need to learn is when people from many parties and walks want questions asked on the latest FG screw up, the answers should really be to the questions. The whole 'you're only asking this because' doesn't work on Boards and even less so in the public domain IMO. It's limp and well worn.
    Your comment here is a prime example. I post on what Leo did and you come back with shinners and character attacks.
    Imagine you are not a shinner and you've issue with what Varadkar did. Would you be satisfied with FG's performance, (which is all it was)?

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    No, I covered that under "All the character assassinations and smears from the FG lobby won't bury that and make FG come off worse IMO." That's how I see it.
    What FG need to learn is when people from many parties and walks want questions asked on the latest FG screw up, the answers should really be to the questions. The whole 'you're only asking this because' doesn't work on Boards and even less so in the public domain IMO. It's limp and well worn.
    Your comment here is a prime example. I post on what Leo did and you come back with shinners and character attacks.
    Imagine you are not a shinner and you've issue with what Varadkar did. Would you be satisfied with FG's performance, (which is all it was)?

Looks like a failed smear to me, not too many believe Leo broke the law.
    SF had egg on their face after a not even close vote last night.
    There was more time in the debate criticising them than Leo, a lot of their old mistakes thrown back in their faces.
    A backfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They did have the full gist, Leo even admitted to it.

Once Varadkar confessed, there was no need for anymore. I was delighted SF didn't even mention the further Whatsapps last night.

Flabberghasted that anyone would think an opposition would back off the core revelation here. What planet are you on? :)

Looks like a failed smear to me, not too many believe Leo broke the law.
    SF had egg on their face after a not even close vote last night.
    There was more time in the debate criticising them than Leo, a lot of their old mistakes thrown back in their faces.
    A backfire.

Speaking for the electorate again.

When will FG realise that standing up with the tired old rant about SF something something is not connecting with people? I suppose it is going to take another rap in an election to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Once Varadkar confessed, there was no need for anymore. I was delighted SF didn't even mention the further Whatsapps last night.

Flabberghasted that anyone would think an opposition would back off the core revelation here. What planet are you on? :)

‘Confessed’ ..? very calculated use of hyperbolic language Francie.

Implication there is that some kind of crime was committed.

Noticed...... I say again....noticed.

Lads the vote last night was a disaster for SF.
    There motion was hopeless, even if it was well intentioned, which I doubt.
    They were made look like pawns and were heavily defeated by what was made to look like a very united govt not going to be swayed by muckraking.
    Because Leo's reasoning sounded credible and it looks like SF were played into this by outside rich boys. The very type of boys they were claiming to be trying to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Whom does LV suggest "regulates" the press?
    How does LV define "regulation"?
    Are the courts where one may sue them not good enough for LV or does he wish to see some govt appointed editor regulator 'overseeing' licencing who can publish ?

How very Oliver Cromwell.

Lads the vote last night was a disaster for SF.
    There motion was hopeless, even if it was well intentioned, which I doubt.
    They were made look like pawns and were heavily defeated by what was made to look like a very united govt not going to be swayed by muckraking.
    Because Leo's reasoning sounded credible and it looks like SF were played into this by outside rich boys. The very type of boys they were claiming to be trying to stop.

Bish...reality calling again...we know that FF were holding their noses. Stop pretending about the political realities. 'United' :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

I see from the Village article that Varadkar seems to be abandoning his interest in suing for defamation. So the legal angle of the leak being decided depends if the Gardai decide to pursue an investigation and onto DPP etc.

FG are getting ahead of themselves winning a predictable vote. Their next turn in the spotlight is the constitutional crisis brought about by their man Woulfe. He hasn’t gone away.... yet.

• Advertisement

gadarnol wrote: »
    FG are getting ahead of themselves winning a predictable vote. Their next turn in the spotlight is the constitutional crisis brought about by their man Woulfe. He hasn’t gone away.... yet.

Ireland's Own Wee Trump :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement