Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

First point is just sour grapes.

No argument from me on that last point

The OSA states “benefit” but does not define it. In many ways from a legal point of view it is a pity if the case doesn’t make it to court. A ruling on what benefit means would be useful in the future.

The PR management being undertaken by FG after the vote (and it’s very obvious here) shows they’re anxious to close this off. But the damage is done. And FF will have the knives out for MM now. The consequences of Varadkar’s leak and being caught will run and run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Yes there was a vote and it has been accepted, but the damage to Leo and brand FG is done. You'll see the payoff for that in an election. Which IMO Leo won't be leading FG into if they have any sense.

Idle talk Francie. Take stock of reality for a change.

For starters Leo will be going into the next election as Taoiseach, that will benefit both him and Fine Gael. So I cannot see any payoff arising here.

Fine Gael voters don't defect anywhere else either. Unlike the future pattern of more hardline republican voters jumping ship depending on what FF or SF policy they are fond of. All Sinn Féin gains arrive as a result of a dissent from FF voters who are looking for change, they don't come from Fine Gael voters, deep down there is no alignment there.

Fianna Fáíl election strategists are well aware of this and you can be sure that are isolating vulnerable Sinn Féin seats. As I said Fine Gael don't lose voters to FF or SF. But SF can and do lose votes to FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

First point is just sour grapes.

No argument from me on that last point

The first point is a fact.

You are guessing that there was no gain. From a biased position too let me add.

If you aren't just guessing then you can prove it.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Idle talk Francie. Take stock of reality for a change.

For starters Leo will be going into the next election as Taoiseach, that will benefit both him and Fine Gael. So I cannot see any payoff arising here.

Fine Gael voters don't defect anywhere else either. Unlike the future pattern of more hardline republican voters jumping ship depending on what FF or SF policy they are fond of. All Sinn Féin gains arrive as a result of a dissent from FF voters who are looking for change, they don't come from Fine Gael voters, deep down there is no alignment there.

Fianna Fáíl election strategists are well aware of this and you can be sure that are isolating vulnerable Sinn Féin seats. As I said Fine Gael don't lose voters to FF or SF. But SF can and do lose votes to FF.

FG can depend on 21% of the vote...that's it. Anything above that will be votes gained, votes that have clearly demonstrated they are not owned by anyone.

I'll say it now, only a party fond of self immolation would go into an election with goods damaged this badly and I would not doubt that there is another document awaiting in the long grass to maximise damage during an election campaign. One more sniff of anything like this and it's curtains for Leo and FG's election hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Garda being suspended for corruption

What do you seem to expect , a Fcuking promotion and a bonus.

In the 90's faking a few explosive finds would get you up to superintendent

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/golden-handshake-for-dismissed-garda-officer-25891822.html

• Advertisement

FG can depend on 21% of the vote...that's it. Anything above that will be votes gained, votes that have clearly demonstrated they are not owned by anyone.

I'll say it now, only a party fond of self immolation would go into an election with goods damaged this badly and I would not doubt that there is another document awaiting in the long grass to maximise damage during an election campaign. One more sniff of anything like this and it's curtains for Leo and FG's election hopes.

Quite a few FG TDs won't be standing again and the one up here will be replaced by an Independant who is blatantly corrupt next time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

That was a quarter of a century ago, dude. A different country for all intents and purposes.

Have you any more recent examples?
    The Siteserv investigation hasn't reported yet. It was meant to report earlier this year but it was put off for a while.

Regards...jmcc

Quite a few FG TDs won't be standing again and the one up here will be replaced by an Independant who is blatantly corrupt next time

What constituency are you in RV?

Locally Heather's outburst isn't going down well. SF are popular here across parties and are known as hard workers in the community. Could be a struggle for FG to hold their vote if the onslaught continues.

What constituency are you in RV?

Locally Heather's outburst isn't going down well. SF are popular here across parties and are known as hard workers in the community. Could be a struggle for FG to hold their vote if the onslaught continues.

Donegal, Mc Hugh will be facing off against John O'Donnell (that one)

They are currently 37% in the polls.

But as I said before, Sinn Féin do not benefit from a fall in popularity for Fine Gael. Fine Gael voters switch to an independent or maybe labour. There is no swing vote between SF/ FF and FG, it does not work that way. The swing votes happen between FF and SF. As it stands Sinn Féin have the most to lose if Fianna Fáil support rallies, which looks likely.

• Advertisement

But as I said before, Sinn Féin do not benefit from a fall in popularity for Fine Gael. Fine Gael voters switch to an independent or maybe labour. There is no swing vote between SF/ FF and FG, it does not work that way. The swing votes happen between FF and SF. As it stands Sinn Féin have the most to lose if Fianna Fáil support rallies, which looks likely.

MM is so unpopular there's no way they are gaining and replacing him with droning Calaghan would lose them even more rural votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

Actually there’s another thread to this that will come back at FG: the SIPO complaint.

gadarnol wrote: »
    Actually there’s another thread to this that will come back at FG: the SIPO complaint.

Could be 2030 before its heard, FG probably demand the case be heard in Klingon just to delay it. We had a few councillors who managed a full term after being reported and then just didn't stand the next time

MM is so unpopular there's no way they are gaining and replacing him with droning Calaghan would lose them even more rural votes

He hasn't done much wrong and in all fairness Sinn Féin have not covered themselves in glory the last few weeks? The next polls should be interesting, but I can see FF gains at the expense of SF, that is not a wind up btw.

Opinion polls != Votes.

Regards...jmcc

Polls don't fill seats.

FG have 21% of the vote. That's all we know.

Everything they gain will be a vote that cannot be taken for granted, it will go elsewhere if FG are not up to muster. That's the change in Irish politics. FG FF down to 46% vote share from the dizzying heights of 84%.

My advice would be choose your leader for next time out with care. The one who went into the last election had similar expectations from the polls and look what he delivered. One of the worst FG performances of all time.

Donegal, Mc Hugh will be facing off against John O'Donnell (that one)

Is that the guy that was caught along with McElvaney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

jmcc wrote: »
    Long time listener, first time caller, eh?

Regards...jmcc

Long time follower of yours on politics.ie anyway!

Regards ....... ss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Nobody can take votes for granted
    Last election especially
    Nobody's position is set in stone either
    Neither is nobotty's :D

Long time follower of yours on politics.ie anyway!

Regards ....... ss
    FG would be in a far better position with Coveney as leader like the FG grassroots wanted. The danger is that Leo The Leak may damage FG's main selling point in that it is not FF. Having had to admit leaking that document in the Dail has almost guaranteed a leadership challenge.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

The Siteserv investigation hasn't reported yet. It was meant to report earlier this year but it was put off for a while.

Regards...jmcc

It would help if the stammering Soc Dem ninny was wiling to assist the Investigation by repeating the allegations that she made under Dail privilege and were one of the main things that led Enda Kenny to set up the tribunal in the first place.

FG would be in a far better position with Coveney as leader like the FG grassroots wanted. The danger is that Leo The Leak may damage FG's main selling point in that it is not FF. Having had to admit leaking that document in the Dail has almost guaranteed a leadership challenge.

Regards...jmcc

Happily, Leo the Leaker won't be on my ballot paper. Although the dreadful choice of third rate candidates that I'll have down here would drive a fellow to drink, if he wasn't already an enthusiastic fan of West Cork Whiskey!

Cordially .... ss

Polls don't fill seats.
    The other problem with the polls is that they are misleading. The telephone/online polls favour FG and have FF at a disadvantage. When face to face polling resumed, FF's support when back towards 20%. This is because of the demographics that support FF are less likely to be active Internet users. Leo The Leak also had a lot of unchallenged airtime during the Summer. As with FG's attempt at commemorating the Black and Tans/RIC, there will always be some FGer who will screw things up for FG just when they are likely to win. As someone once said, if it was raining soup, FG would be out with a fork.

Regards...jmcc

Would the kind of weird cult thing built up around him,not make a leadership challenge unlikely as it would split the party..
    The opposite, I think. Verona Murphy was always going to win a seat in Wexford but Leo The Leak in an attempt to keep onside with the roight-on types in the Dublin media decided to remove her as an FG candidate. She won and FG lost a seat. Leo The Leak is all about Leo. He's a completely liability as a leader in that he thinks that he's some kind of president rather than a leader who has to work to get TDs elected.
    While likely covoney is a better vote-getter,(id vote for him.anyway), is he popular enough to force a victory??
    Coveney comes across as sincere even if he's not. That's a valuable attribute for a politician and he would be much better for FG. Leo The Leak always appears smarmy. If FG is to take on SF, then it needs someone like Coveney leading it rather than Varadkar.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

Leo leaked a confidential document.

He got caught.

There was no consequence for Leo.

Quelle surprise?

The consequence will be for the rest of us.

Future leaks will be harder to prevent and nearly impossible to sanction.

Some here think SF were wasting time and money, playing politics.

They were not. They were preparing the ground.

Successfully, as it turns out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Leo leaked a confidential document.

He got caught.

There was no consequence for Leo.

Quelle surprise?

The consequence will be for the rest of us.

Future leaks will be harder to prevent and nearly impossible to sanction.

Some here think SF were wasting time and money, playing politics.

They were not. They were preparing the ground.

Successfully, as it turns out.

Somebody had to call him out. I'm quite sure there are some people in the Green party who were biting their lip but alas they went along like FF. Anything goes and don't expect any government negotiation is above board because there's no accountability so who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

So the parliament of Ireland states they have condidence in a Tanaiste that leaked official government documents ? And there is no sanction against such an action. So any government minister can leak confidential government papers now with impunity.
    What is going on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

So every one of the opposition bar 3 independents voted in favour of the VONC? That's hardly any surprise and a damning statement about the issue. It'll be interesting to see how much support FG lose after this and their ongoing media suicide. This FFG government have certainly been entertaining, there's a new scandal every week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

The first point is a fact.

You are guessing that there was no gain. From a biased position too let me add.

If you aren't just guessing then you can prove it.

That's an awsome call on fact.
    Hope, you have more to back it up than village had!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So every one of the opposition bar 3 independents voted in favour of the VONC? That's hardly any surprise and a damning statement about the issue. It'll be interesting to see how much support FG lose after this and their ongoing media suicide.

Simon Harris, Sunday morning past.

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1325351243615756289?s=19

FG main page since Sunday.......

https://twitter.com/FineGael?s=09

I'm not joking here, I think we're literally seeing a political party imploding in front of our eyes with nothing left in them at all except "attack Sinn Fein, Sinn Fein, Sinn Fein."

They're stumbling from one PR disaster to the other on Twitter, it's actually cringeworthy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement