Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

atticu wrote: »
    Remind me, who had to face a no confidence motion because of these ‘messages’.

He didn't have to face a vote of confidence because of the messages, he faced it because he admitted to leaking the documents, as was suggested by the messages.

You can read more here
    The Varadkar story emanated from documents supplied by a healthcare entrepreneur and corporate troubleshooter called Chay Bowes – mostly screengrabs of text conversations purportedly involving Mr Bowes, former president of the National Association of General Practitioners (NAGP) Maitiú Ó Tuathail and other senior members of that group.

These text conversations included images of the leaked document, and of messages apparently between Mr Ó Tuathail and the Tánaiste, as well as messages from Mr Ó Tuathail characterising his relationship with the Fine Gael leader.

Now - correct me if I'm wrong here, but never once have I seen MOT, or Leo claim the screenshots were "faked" or "photoshopped", which if true would have Bowes in very hot water and kill the story dead.

You're not living in reality tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

costacorta wrote: »
    SF an anti corruption party ?? They wouldn’t know truth if it hit them in the face ..

Would any of the parties? FF and FG are no saints either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Floppybits wrote: »
    Would any of the parties? FF and FG are no saints either.

Goes for all parties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But you're implying he did or must have, if you're saying now you can't prove he did or its not fact you're bull****ting.
    Disagreeing with someone's version of a story and implying they're lying is an accusation against that person. If he happens to not be proven wrong then his story is taken as fact.
    In other words he is innocent of that charge until proven guilty.
    So unless you can prove otherwise as I said, you're bull****ting.

1. NAGP threathen to actively canvass against FG.
    2. Leo slips confidential document to Matt.
    3. Photo's of Matt in Vote for Leo t-shirt.

No benefit to Leo at all, at all. All coincidence i'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

McMurphy wrote: »
    He didn't have to face a vote of confidence because of the messages, he faced it because he admitted to leaking the documents, as was suggested by the messages.

You can read more here

Now - correct me if I'm wrong here, but never once have I seen MOT, or Leo claim the screenshots were "faked" or "photoshopped", which if true would have Bowes in very hot water and kill the story dead.

You're not living in reality tbh.

OK, we now know that these ‘messages’ had nothing to do with a no confidence vote, even though you tried to link them to the no confidence motion.

Why would anyone be concerned about these ‘messages’ if they are not going to have any effect on them?
    They would not.

This story is dead because there is no more proof or evidence against anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Paddy Cosgrave hasn’t sent a tweet in almost a day. Wonder is he ok? He was on about fake news and ranting about the Irish Times yesterday. Get the feeling he doesn’t do well if his enormous ego isn’t being sufficiently massaged.

atticu wrote: »
    OK, we now know that these ‘messages’ had nothing to do with a no confidence vote, even though you tried to link them to the no confidence motion.

Do you know what the word "emanated" means? You cling to the belief the screenshots are faked if you like. I think it's Tinfoil hat lunacy myself, but whatever floats your boat.
    Why would anyone be concerned about these ‘messages’ if they are not going to have any effect on them?
    They would not.

This story is dead because there is no more proof or evidence against anyone.

This story isn't dead. It's still being talked about both here and in both digital, social and mainstream media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://twitter.com/Bryan_Wall/status/1326683496207822849?s=20

"If I'm guilty of anything it's being Care2much"

Fine Gael asked research candidates how to attack Sinn Féin

this is “type of negative campaigning Fine Gael are known for”. “This is a desperate attempt to distract from failed policies on health, housing and childcare,” he said. “They are also trying to get research on the cheap which is disappointing,”.

I don't especially like Sinn Féin either but what a waste of time, resources, money, personnel and energy. No wonder everything is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

s1ippy wrote: »

Summary?

• Advertisement

Paddy Cosgrave hasn’t sent a tweet in almost a day. Wonder is he ok? He was on about fake news and ranting about the Irish Times yesterday. Get the feeling he doesn’t do well if his enormous ego isn’t being sufficiently massaged.

Leo disappeared for 4 whole days without sending a tweet after this story broke - just for comparison like.

I wouldn't be dispatching the search party for Cosgrave just yet.

IMG-20201112-103645.jpg

this is “type of negative campaigning Fine Gael are known for”. “This is a desperate attempt to distract from failed policies on health, housing and childcare,” he said. “They are also trying to get research on the cheap which is disappointing,”.

I don't especially like Sinn Féin either but what a waste of time, resources, money, personnel and energy. No wonder everything is awful.

It’s simply a screening test for candidates for a job. Nothing unusual in testing prospective employees abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

awec wrote: »
    I don't know why people continually feign surprise when other parties go on the offensive against Sinn Fein. They are an easy target. Arguably they are the easiest target. They'll get hit now on the multi million donation, again another easy issue to bring up, easy points to be scored, easy to highlight inconsistent behaviours.

As I said before, this message was fairly wishy washy, but the messenger was completely wrong and helped soften any blow for Varadkar.

Speaking for myself I'm not even slightly surprised.
    It's been the top tactic in the FG playbook for years - invoking the name of a murdered woman in the Dáil was Teesh Enda's go to when being questioned.

What I am is disgusted about is that a government cannot defend themselves by focussing on their own record, that a political party is so utter devoid of ideas that all they can do is attack their rivals - do they think SF is in govt and they are the Opposition?

And what I think is horrific is the number of people who will shrug off the leader of the government slipping a confidential document to a friend - an admitted 'not best practice'- and the lack of sanctions with no concern for the precedent that sets because their side 'won'.

Won what exactly - the biggest we will scream about others when we are caught competition?
    The Feck it, sure this only accountability who cares Oscar?
    The Tribalism Award 2020?
    The Wayhay - we can never complain if SF do likewise in the future Rubber Bladder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'm not seeing the relevance to this thread? Probably warrants a separate one. Never heard of that guy but he appears to be a creep based on the stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What has this to do with the topic at hand?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    And what I think is horrific is the number of people who will shrug off the leader of the government slipping a conventional document to a friend - an admitted 'not best practice'- and the lack of sanctions with no concern for the precedent that sets because their side 'won'.

This is the thing for me about the whole #Leotheleak controversy, what is to stop any other TD now passing confidential government documents to their mates. Lets say a SF TD comes into possession of a confidential government document and then sends it onto to a mate via "Back Channels" what can FG and FF or the Greens say about that now they have backed Varadkar. As far as I am concerned now it is open season on TD's giving confidential documents to who they like.

markodaly wrote: »
    What has this to do with the topic at hand?

What did sinn féin have to do with Leo's transgressions and yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What did sinn féin have to do with Leo's transgressions and yet here we are.

Well SF did bring up a MoNC....

So what does some random twitter user have to do with the topic?

markodaly wrote: »
    Well SF did bring up a MoNC....

So what does some random twitter user have to do with the topic?

Well if a minister is found leaking confidential documents to his mates and then gets caught and gives a fairytale excuse then yes I would expect the opposition no matter who they are to have a motion of no confidence in that person. Are you saying that if the shoe was on the other foot FG wouldn't do the same?

Leo and Simon regularly tweet that account and it's suspected to be either one of them, Concannon or a friend of theirs. They keep great company.

https://twitter.com/PTHosford/status/1326869278272970752?s=20

On the topic at hand.

• Advertisement

532650.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I think FF may do well.there next time.charlie mcconalogue is v.popular and any type of half decent CAP for small farmers will benefit them

There's a split, McConnellogues supporters like telling porkies about other FFers

Any truth in this claim being made by Pearse Doherty of Sinn Fein?

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1326887860335730689?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McMurphy wrote: »
    Why truth in this claim being made by Pearse Doherty of Sinn Fein?

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1326887860335730689?s=09

Jeepers. It will be fascinating to see if there is any truth in that.

Jeepers. It will be fascinating to see if there is any truth in that.

If true, it's not exactly the correct way to extinguish the story. What are they playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even if it is true, it's disingenuous from Doherty.

The last time Feeney lobbied for the NAGP in relation to GP contracts was two years before this leak and a year before MOT was involved.

The nature of that lobbying was to introduce the former CEO of the NAGP to government ministers.

This role hasn't been ignored since February. As Doherty well knows, it would be highly inappropriate for a caretaker government to appoint new members to these positions. So there hasn't been some sudden "mad rush" to put a friendly face into SIPO.

I see an odd coincidence here alright, some egg on the face maybe.

But I don't see any real link between the two. Feeney hasn't been involved near the NAGP for more than two years, and she's a former FF politician, not FG.

Be interesting to know when this recommendation was made.

What I suspect has happened here is that Doherty has uncovered a complete coincidence, but a(nother) absolute rookie mistake from the government. McGrath probably recommended her on the back of, "Ah yeah, she's good people, a loyal party member", and nobody had the good sense to look into what she's been doing and see, "Oh, NAGP....no, that's not a good look right now".

I expect the nomination - if it was made after 1st November - will be rescinded, but it'll be a serious blow to Martin's leadership that they can't get this basic stuff right. Just like Cowen's drink-driving antics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

That nomination to SIPO of a former lobbyist is intolerable. FFGG are heading this country back down the old road. The usual suspects will Pooh Pooh and wave the hands dismissively but this nomination reveals the insider culture again. Appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I see Leo giving out the tough love, based on his telly viewing and musings to try turn the page on his leaking a confidential document to a pal.
    While I don't think folk should be traveling to Ireland for Christmas Leo mumbling on his feelings based on Reeling in the Years is not very clear. Also he has no clue if he thinks November is too soon to be buying flights to Ireland.
    He's basically thinking out loud.

As with the SIPO appointment, if true, the stink of corruption and Haughey era cronyism is shrugged off by FF/FG/Greens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seamus wrote: »
    Even if it is true, it's disingenuous from Doherty.

The last time Feeney lobbied for the NAGP in relation to GP contracts was two years before this leak and a year before MOT was involved.

The nature of that lobbying was to introduce the former CEO of the NAGP to government ministers.

This role hasn't been ignored since February. As Doherty well knows, it would be highly inappropriate for a caretaker government to appoint new members to these positions. So there hasn't been some sudden "mad rush" to put a friendly face into SIPO.

I see an odd coincidence here alright, some egg on the face maybe.

But I don't see any real link between the two. Feeney hasn't been involved near the NAGP for more than two years, and she's a former FF politician, not FG.

Be interesting to know when this recommendation was made.

What I suspect has happened here is that Doherty has uncovered a complete coincidence, but a(nother) absolute rookie mistake from the government. McGrath probably recommended her on the back of, "Ah yeah, she's good people, a loyal party member", and nobody had the good sense to look into what she's been doing and see, "Oh, NAGP....no, that's not a good look right now".

I expect the nomination - if it was made after 1st November - will be rescinded, but it'll be a serious blow to Martin's leadership that they can't get this basic stuff right. Just like Cowen's drink-driving antics.

According to Gavin Reilly on Twitter - nominated by Cabinet on the day of the confidence motion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement