Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

SIPO nomination approved by cabinet same day as Varadkar VoC. Some FF livid again. More to run with Varadkar and the leak. And we have the LC cases, Woulfe and Brexit to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

God, all you can do is laugh. It's one ridiculous mistake after another.

I'd say Doherty's eyes lit up when he heard about the background check into Feeney.

I'd say Martin and Varadkar are separately going mental right now. Martin at his staff for missing it, and Varadkar at FF for the nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seamus wrote: »
    God, all you can do is laugh. It's one ridiculous mistake after another.

I'd say Doherty's eyes lit up when he heard about the background check into Feeney.

I'd say Martin and Varadkar are separately going mental right now. Martin at his staff for missing it, and Varadkar at FF for the nomination.

Assuming that they missed it at all. Seems inconceivable to me that nobody picked up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Assuming that they missed it at all. Seems inconceivable to me that nobody picked up on it.
    It might have come up weeks previously when the NAGP involvement wouldn't have raised any eyebrows, but the appointment made it onto the cabinet agenda at a really unfortunate time.

The smart thing to do now would be to say that the recommendation was made weeks ago, but in light of this new information it would not be appropriate to appoint Ms. Feeney to SIPO. Rescind the nomination and move on.

I suspect though that they might try and push past it because Ms. Feeney has been promised this position, and because FF seem to not undertand PR at all at all.

FG were sitting at Cabibet for this nomination. Collective responsibility and all that. Maybe Varadkar had a “mental reservation”. Hard to know what he’s thinking but guidance available. :D

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    It might have come up weeks previously when the NAGP involvement wouldn't have raised any eyebrows, but the appointment made it onto the cabinet agenda at a really unfortunate time.

So McGrath sat there on the day that NAGP was on the minds of almost everyone in the country and said nothing?

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

So McGrath sat there on the day that NAGP was on the minds of almost everyone in the country and said nothing?

Hmmm.

The pedigree of this government suggests he wouldn't have known or bothered to look
    So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one
    Its very amusing
    I'm undecided as to whether its the late Collins or Develara thats put this hex on the marriage to have so many misfortunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Nobotty wrote: »
    The pedigree of this government suggests he wouldn't have known or bothered to look
    So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one
    Its very amusing
    I'm undecided as to whether its the late Collins or Develara thats put this hex on the marriage to have so many misfortunes

I still don't buy the 'bumbling idiot' defence.
    It always seems to pan out in their favour, up until the pesky opposition or media point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

McMurphy wrote: »

Jesus FF don't have an ounce of cop on. They just can't help but kick a sleeping dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭golfball37

SIPO are maneuvering to relieve SF of the money left to them in a will of some English lad. The senate are passing a resolution to allow them follow up.
    The nomination was intentional

golfball37 wrote: »
    SIPO are maneuvering to relieve SF of the money left to them in a will of some English lad. The senate are passing a resolution to allow them follow up.
    The nomination was intentional

SIPO have already given a verdict on that.

Feeney only ever lobbied for NAGP. McGrath was well aware of Paul Murphy’s request to SIPO for them to investigate if anything came of the leak in terms of benefit.
    Appointing someone who worked for NAGP at that time is beyond belief in terms of transparency. She will be investigating herself

SIPO have already given a verdict on that.

It only passed the Seanad this week. FFG want Sipo to revisit

SIPO has no jurisdiction in NI.

Even if they change the rules, I doubt they can backdate.

SIPO recommended that the situation be looked at to see if the rules governing parties in the two regulatory jurisdictions are advantaged or disadvantaged by them. Could backfire on them too.

Even if they change the rules, I doubt they can backdate.

SIPO recommended that the situation be looked at to see if the rules governing parties in the two regulatory jurisdictions are advantaged or disadvantaged by them. Could backfire on them too.

All FF and FG need to do then is set up in another jurisdiction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Floppybits wrote: »
    All FF and FG need to do then is set up in another jurisdiction. :)

An end to partition?

An end to partition?

Not really but the can't really complain if SF are in 2 jurisdictions and they are in one when they could set up in the other jurisdiction.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Not really but the can't really complain if SF are in 2 jurisdictions and they are in one when they could set up in the other jurisdiction.

They took advantage of the majority in the Seanad for an excercise in optics. As cynical as it gets. The British and Irish governments came up with the rules in NI under the GFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

An end to partition?

FG would have to declare as unionist, Johnny B might get his knighthood

FG would have to declare as unionist, Johnny B might get his knighthood

He would love that. :)

elperello wrote: »

This is not corruption

This is "senior hurling" and anyone who dare suggest this is wrong is a terrorist :rolleyes:

Nothing will ever change in this dump of a country

The idea that nobody around the cabinet table didn't make the connection on that specific day and what was in front of them gets flimsier and flimsier tbh.

https://twitter.com/PTHosford/status/1326868294381473796

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

This is not corruption

This is "senior hurling" and anyone who dare suggest this is wrong is a terrorist :rolleyes:

How are you getting on in it?
    I can't for the life of me figure out why your still in it.
    This dump of a country. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This is not corruption

Just for the sake of clarity it's only fair to point out that according to Transparency International who are the experts in ferreting out corruption we are not so bad.

18th out of 198 countries in fact.

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2019/results/irl

That's not to say that we should stand for any political corruption. In fact we should aim for the top ten.

Stopping handing out positions in oversight bodies to former lobbyists might be a good place to start.

Stopping handing out positions in oversight bodies to former lobbyists might be a good place to start.

Even better is not appointing party supporters to the Supreme Court.

Just for the sake of clarity it's only fair to point out that according to Transparency International who are the experts in ferreting out corruption we are not so bad.

18th out of 198 countries in fact.

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2019/results/irl

That's not to say that we should stand for any political corruption. In fact we should aim for the top ten.

Transparency International, like all the rest of us, didn't know about Leo's wrongdoing though.

Has the perception of corruption gone up in this country now we have discovered FG are just like FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Lowry to rejoin FG officially and appointed Minster for ethics in public life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Transparency International, like all the rest of us, didn't know about Leo's wrongdoing though.

Has the perception of corruption gone up in this country now we have discovered FG are just like FF?

No they wouldn't have , the figures quoted were for 2019.

We might even slip a point or two next year but that's only speculation.

I think corruption is measured by the amount of it sloshing around in the body politic not the by who is the perpetrator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement