Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

elperello wrote: »
    No they wouldn't have , the figures quoted were for 2019.

We might even slip a point or two next year but that's only speculation.

I think corruption is measured by the amount of it sloshing around in the body politic not the by who is the perpetrator.

It's a perception index. I think many many people's perceptions would have changed with Golf gate, Leo's leak, Seamus Woulfe and now the appointment to SIPO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

The continuing rumbling on of this and the cabinet agreement on the SIPO figure on the day of the VoC does not bode well for FG attempts to draw a line. Essentially the onslaught on SF yesterday has achieved nothing; in fact given the revelation re the "researcher" role today it may well backfire. And here we are with the SIPO attack on SF ( a propaganda stunt) actually ricocheting back to sender. This govt. is hapless and tomorrow it faces into the FG generated constitutional crisis of The Woulfster. There has to be a sense of battle fatigue in FG after 9 years of govt and calamity after calamity. The slug fest continues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's a perception index. I think many many people's perceptions would have changed with Golf gate, Leo's leak, Seamus Woulfe and now the appointment to SIPO.

I think you may be right about the "man on the street" perception being changed by golf gate and Seamus Woulfe. Leo's leak is a bit complicated so maybe not so much and the appointment to SIPO a bit early to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Floppybits wrote: »
    Even better is not appointing party supporters to the Supreme Court.

Or not appointing people who have never been on the bench.

Better still reform the system of appointment altogether.

We need to be careful we may find ourselves in bed with Shane Ross :)

Anyway that's another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Indeed, or Cullinanes support for ‘the Ra’ and the 4mill swilling about from pillar to post..

Not to mention the ‘lads’ snuggling g up to the AK 47s with Michelle.

Certainly moved the perception needle there.

Look up the word 'corruption' Brendi.

• Advertisement

Irish Times reporting that Govt was not informed of other applicants for job now occupied by The Woulfester. FG Minister for Justice refusing to comment ............................. citing ..............
    cabinet confidentiality! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

gadarnol wrote: »
    Irish Times reporting that Govt was not informed of other applicants for job now occupied by The Woulfester. FG Minister for Justice refusing to comment ............................. citing ..............

Canny politician isn't she!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It should be an interesting Micheal Martin meets with all the leaders of the opposition parties today. I wonder will Leo be there as well or if anyone will make a remark about leaks. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Cabinet not told judges applied for post filled by Séamus Woulfe (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cabinet-not-told-judges-applied-for-post-filled-by-s%C3%A9amus-woulfe-1.4407946

I mean, this is categorically more of it.

Canny politician isn't she!

I assumed the FG people would see it as a master stroke. Again revealing their view of confidentiality as a plastic concept to be deployed at their whim for their advantage. :D Thanks to the canny McEntee and your lordship for taking the bait. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

s1ippy wrote: »
    Cabinet not told judges applied for post filled by Séamus Woulfe (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cabinet-not-told-judges-applied-for-post-filled-by-s%C3%A9amus-woulfe-1.4407946

I mean, this is categorically more of it.

There really is no separation of judiciary and politics. The only time it is invoked is to use as an excuse for inaction. Bananastan.

I assumed the FG people would see it as a master stroke. Again revealing their view of confidentiality as a plastic concept to be deployed at their whim for their advantage. :D Thanks to the canny McEntee and your lordship for taking the bait. :D

You're welcome.
    It's not me taking the bait it's you.
    The Minister on local radio there a, few mins, ago said the Woulfe name was the only one received from the jaab, they weren't informed of any other candidates so his nomination was secured.
    Going on her version this morning if there were other judges interested the Minister or cabinet weren't aware of them.
    Only half listening as I was on a call but that's what I took from what I heard.

She seemed to be pushing his a nomination back to Peter Clarke.

You're welcome.
    The Minister on local radio there a, few mins, ago said the Woulfe name was the only one received from the jaab, they weren't informed of any other candidates so his nomination was secured.
    Going on her version this morning if there were other judges interested the Minister or cabinet weren't aware of them.
    Only half listening as I was on a call but that's what I took from what I heard.

LOL. So much for cabinet confidentiality! Utterly shambolic and cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You're welcome.

Looks dodgy tbh. Try again bish.

IMG-20201113-100617.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

McMurphy wrote: »
    Looks dodgy tbh. Try again bish.
    What's the "dodgy" bit?

Genuine question.

Edit: Actually, never mind. I see Woulfe has never actually been a judge before being appointed to the Supreme Court.

That doesn't mean he's unqualified, but it's certainly irregular. I suspect McEntee made a balls of this appointment and put his name forward because of the JAAB recommendation, without realising that this didn't make him a better candidate.

seamus wrote: »
    What's the "dodgy" bit?

Genuine question.

Bishops post/her account of what took place.

The issue of confidentiality is back.

Bishops post/her account of what took place.

I can't link the radio interview Mc, but just seen this in the Indo.
    It's a quote from a spokesman for the Minister.

"JAAB decided to recommend one candidate, Séamus Woulfe, whom it considered suitable for appointment to the Supreme Court,” he said."

Now I didn't fully take in the interview as I said, just the gist, nó need to shoot me, I was just relaying what I heard.

I can't link the radio interview Mc, but just seen this in the Indo.
    It's a quote from a spokesman for the Minister.

"JAAB decided to recommend one candidate, Séamus Woulfe, whom it considered suitable for appointment to the Supreme Court,” he said."

Now I didn't fully take in the interview as I said, just the gist, nó need to shoot me, I was just relaying what I heard.

Not shooting anyone - simply said that post containing her account of things looked dodgy in comparison with the times article.

Not shooting anyone - simply said that post containing her account of things looked dodgy in comparison with the times article.

Well you told me try again as if you were implying I was making it up.
    Now from what I gather from reading it the Minister was aware of other candidates but woulfe was jaab's recommendation and that's, what she brought to cabinet.

• Advertisement

Speculation in the Law Library that the Chief Justice will resign if The Woulfster remains. Quoted from Brian McMahon of Times in Ireland. Constitutional crisis is too small a description. Cue the hand waving brigade.

Speculation in the Law Library that the Chief Justice will resign if The Woulfster remains. Quoted from Brian McMahon of Times in Ireland. Constitutional crisis is too small a description. Cue the hand waving brigade.

What's the constitutional crisis if the chief justice resigns or not.
    The Constitution is the Constitution.
    The crisis is purely a judicial and political one and constitutional rights of all sides have to be considered.
    That's not a crisis imo, just ensuring that no one acts outside of the Constitution on whether Woulfe can be sacked or not.

What's the constitutional crisis if the chief justice resigns or not.
    The Constitution is the Constitution.
    The crisis is purely a judicial and political one and constitutional rights of all sides have to be considered.
    That's not a crisis imo, just ensuring that no one acts outside of the Constitution on whether Woulfe can be sacked or not.

Hand waving.

Well you told me try again as if you were implying I was making it up.

Sorry that was in reference to your post saying she was a canny politician.

Not canny enough.

Hand waving.

I thought that's what you were at alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Thought confidentiality didn't mean anything anymore,

I thought that's what you were at alright.

No you didn’t. You don’t like anyone posting about the shambles of a govt we have and the crises that Varadkar and FG have dragged the country into. We have a constitutional crisis with Woulfe and the bench of the SC and impeachment. Wrapped up with it is Varadkar’s confession of abuse of confidentiality. You will never admit that because of party loyalty. Which is of course another indictment of party politics. Handwave all you want. Treat yourself to a nothing you see here gif.

Thought confidentiality didn't mean anything anymore,

When it suits seems to be the FG dogma.

No you didn’t. You don’t like anyone posting about the shambles of a govt we have and the crises that Varadkar and FG have dragged the country into. We have a constitutional crisis with Woulfe and the bench of the SC and impeachment. Wrapped up with it is Varadkar’s confession of abuse of confidentiality. You will never admit that because of party loyalty. Which is of course another indictment of party politics. Handwave all you want. Treat yourself to a nothing you see here gif.

So what's the constitutional crisis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Did someone say gif? Use with caution they are as addictive as leaking and have been known to lead to constitutional crisis’.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement