Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

You might as well be talking to the wall, Paddy. We live in a world where some unemployed scammer with a twitter account and a couple of thousand followers is somehow seen by the health minister and leaky leader of society as being a voice of reason, research, and respectability.

It's the type of world we now live in. Grim enough.

Fixed for posterity to reflect that Simon and Leo Care2much.

Justice Woulfe is another symptom of this corrupt system.

That we rolled over on this shows that Democracy in this country as bad if not worse than America. We're taken for fools and we 100% deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

s1ippy wrote: »

That we rolled over on this shows that Democracy in this country as bad if not worse than America. We're taken for fools and we 100% deserve it.

‘Fixing’ a post - the last refuge of a lad who has completely ran out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

‘Fixing’ a post - the last refuge of a lad who has completely ran out of ideas.

He is repeatedly trying to tie both Varadkar and Harris to Danny Boy's alleged scandal which they clearly would have had no involvement in. I think that was the point the ideas ran out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    He is repeatedly trying to tie both Varadkar and Harris to Danny Boy's alleged scandal which they clearly would have had no involvement in. I think that was the point the ideas ran out.

Not too sure there were too many ideas present to begin with if I’m being completely honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

s1ippy wrote: »

Seamus Woulfe and 'dannyboy' @care2much18 are in no way equivalent.

Seamus Woulfe should not have been 'nodded in' to the Supreme Court.

He will probably never sit on the Supreme Court; but there is no doubt that he could do the job in terms of his intellect, knowledge and especially workrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

Floppybits wrote: »
    As Trump said before he could shoot someone on the street and he would get away with it, its the same here for FG. Nothing they have done, are doing or will do would make their supporters think enough is enough.

I agree that no controversy will sway their hard-core supporters, these forums seem to get a lot of these supporters.

However they have lost significant support continually for nearly 10 years now due to scandals and harmful policies. This is despite getting very supportive coverage from msm and having possibly the most media savvy politician in the dail as their leader. If they didn't have these advantages, they'd probably be a fringe party by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Like the Shinners do you mean, bunch of useless operators who as can be seen up North can’t achieve anything worth talking about, in this day and age.

Real politicians get things done, not sit around talking for months and months.

So forget about your “fringe party” humbug, dude.

Can you give couple examples of these "things" that got done by real politicians?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

Like the Shinners do you mean

Huh, do you mean 'the opposite to sinn fein?

Sinn Fein's support has continually rose in the last 10 years, bar a blip in 2019. So it's opposite with the shinners.

I'm not a sinn fein supporter BTW, although I get impression you think I am from your post. Admittedly I've been given them a higher preference than fg of late. Before fg went into government in 2011 I would have given fg a higher preference than sinn fein. I've never given either party my first preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

jd1983 wrote: »
    I agree that no controversy will sway their hard-core supporters, these forums seem to get a lot of these supporters.

However they have lost significant support continually for nearly 10 years now due to scandals and harmful policies. This is despite getting very supportive coverage from msm and having possibly the most media savvy politician in the dail as their leader. If they didn't have these advantages, they'd probably be a fringe party by now.

They were humiliated at the last election and it has really rattled their view of themselves that people voted for SF and FF more than them. Their view of themselves is actually detached from how the country sees them. Varadkar clawed back some kudos with his initial response to Covid but his real views came out in the NPHET attack. When he was finally nailed for leaking a confidential document and called to account in the Dail FG TDs were describing his treatment as "inhumane". When homeless were still dying in the streets.

The only problem with the tsunami of scandal and incompetence we have seen since this govt took office is that people are shellshocked. We have the constitutional crisis between the SC and the Oireachtas over a strange appointment to the SC, Golfgate dragging on, the Cabinet confidentiality issue raised by Shane Ross where leaks were coming from Cabinet while it was still in session, the LC cases drag that saga on, the SIPO investigation of Varadkar, Bowes statement to the Garda re the NAGP leak yet to be determined.

Its very like Trump: once the bar is repeatedly lowered people shrug at the next bout of incompetence, double standards and narcissistic posturing. The strength of the parliamentary system is that they can be called to account much more than the US. We should be grateful that there are parties in opposition who do that. Of them Sf have their own issues re double standards and the Soc Dems seem the more incisive. Kelly is flogging a dead horse in Labour. Nonetheless the govt knows its cards have been marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You might as well be talking to the wall, Paddy. We live in a world where some unemployed malcontent with a twitter account and a couple of thousand followers is somehow seen by a portion of society as being a voice of reason, research, and respectability.

It's the type of world we now live in. Grim enough.

This is what it is all about. The world we live in today!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sinn Fein's support has continually rose in the last 10 years, bar a blip in 2019. So it's opposite with the shinners.

I'm not a sinn fein supporter BTW, although I get impression you think I am from your post. Admittedly I've been given them a higher preference than fg of late. Before fg went into government in 2011 I would have given fg a higher preference than sinn fein. I've never given either party my first preference.

Their vote rate has risen..

But they have done next to nothing but create division and scupper..

They have never actually been in charge of doing anything..

Until they get in and actually start governing, they are simply the party that are anti everything a government does.

They appeal to populism and they appeal to a cohort in society who want everyone else to take responsibility to make things “right” and “better.”

Exactly like that rent a mob crowd, PBP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭golfball37

It annoys me that any criticism of FG is equated with support of SF. It’s another rock they will perish on. They are obsessed with them and it’s all out attack on SF regardless of who is criticizing.
    Deflections like that are only effective for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

SmokyMo wrote: »
    Can you give couple examples of these "things" that got done by real politicians?

So now I’m working for Google....... eh.

Way too experienced to go down that rabbit hole,a chara.

golfball37 wrote: »
    It annoys me that any criticism of FG is equated with support of SF. It’s another rock they will perish on. They are obsessed with them and it’s all out attack on SF regardless of who is criticizing.
    Deflections like that are only effective for so long

Nail on the head. SF are as legitimately in Dail Eireann as FG. This endless trawling over the dead when anyone with an ounce of sense knows that FF and FG have roots in the same soil is totally out of date. FG are on thin ice attacking the legitimacy of parties elected to the Dail having ended a conflict with massive democratic support in 1998 referenda. They tried all this in the run up to the last election and it backfired. It seems that they don't learn very much as they go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Closed for review

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I've just deleted a tonne of personalised posts that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic being dicussed.

I'm going to reopen this thread on the basis you discuss the topic at hand and not direct attacks onto individual posters.

We are all adults I *think* so can we behave like adults maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Are the Village hinting that this story may not be going away?

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1327670851098042378

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Are the Village hinting that this story may not be going away?

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1327670851098042378

Hinting me hoop . When they had nothing they were promising more to come . The story is as good as gone away

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

walshb wrote: »
    Their vote rate has risen..

But they have done next to nothing but create division and scupper..

They have never actually been in charge of doing anything..

Until they get in and actually start governing, they are simply the party that are anti everything a government does.

They appeal to populism and they appeal to a cohort in society who want everyone else to take responsibility to make things “right” and “better.”

Exactly like that rent a mob crowd, PBP!

Populism like Varadkar wanting to hunt down welfare cheats?

Yet FFFG have overseen a system that lets TDs dodge investigations in to them filling their boots at the expense of the taxpayer by simply walking away from the job.

And by allowing TDs to dodge their bar tab when they leave their jobs.

There's nothing quite like the hypocrisy of FFFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bullocks wrote: »
    Hinting me hoop . When they had nothing they were promising more to come . The story is as good as gone away

:D:D Given what we have found out and what that unleashed I think it is just bitter handwaving to say they had 'nothing'.

Not gonna argue with you on that aspect, but I do think they are hinting at the idea that a Sunday paper is going to run with something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I see a fair few posts saying this has backfired on SF, can someone explain to me how this will have cost them support?
    I wouldn't vote FG and generally support SF but I did put FF 2nd or 3rd last election and seeing FF defending FGs leader so hard is a terrible look.
    FG core voters won't be effected by this but swing voters and FF voters are going to be put off.

I see a fair few posts saying this has backfired on SF, can someone explain to me how this will have cost them support?
    I wouldn't vote FG and generally support SF but I did put FF 2nd or 3rd last election and seeing FF defending FGs leader so hard is a terrible look.
    FG core voters won't be effected by this but swing voters and FF voters are going to be put off.
    “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie

Imo,this is whats going on

A party,which styles itself as 'law and order' party is telling a big lie with years and has been exposed with their backing to the hilt of varadkar here

Their trying to perpetuate the lie,to.the support,that it has back fired,when in reality,only one side has caught up in wrong doing.....kinda fasinating to watch it action

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

#BlockFineGael is trending on Twitter and it's largely to do with this Leo story from what I can see.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlockFineGael?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

McMurphy wrote: »
    #BlockFineGael is trending on Twitter and it's largely to do with this Leo story from what I can see.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlockFineGael?s=09

God, censorship now, great idea.
    Is someone getting scared of Fine Gael out there?

Its a bad idea,if they are free to propagate unopposed nonsense (remember their rubbish shinner video,full of lies?)......people will believe it

Block.them at the ballot box....they sneer at anyone with an accent on twitter,toxic party,toxic support.base

,they arent fit,nor welcome to rule over us anymore....sooner an election,the better

(Though imo.any business seen to like/support their tweets,should be boycotted)

I see you deleted your vote for the nationalist party post there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

God, censorship now, great idea.
    Is someone getting scared of Fine Gael out there?

I don't think you have a very good grasp of the internet/twitter bish, blocking an account is literally the polar opposite of censoring them.

Id sooner vote the national party than FG...they sneer and mock people who.have accents on twitter

At least we wont have people ruling over us,who sneer and laugh at us for way we talk

Why you delete it?

McMurphy wrote: »
    I don't think you have a very good grasp of the internet/twitter bish, blocking an account is literally the polar opposite of censoring them.

I don't do twitter much Tbf Mc.
    If you block them does that not mean you don't get their tweets?

I delete 1 in 3....this is an old old imternet thing,probably reveling my age there :O

Fair enough.

• Advertisement

It has been written here several times about the ongoing saga of Varadkar confessing to leaking a confidential document and the remaining steps before the process dealing with that comes to a conclusion. We can all see the repeated attempts to deny that reality here. It’s a Trumpist tactic of repeated denials of reality simply to muddy the waters.

Even when the process ends (SIPO case, Garda complaint) the facts will stand as an indictment of a Taoiseach who leaked a confidential document. A coalition that excused him from the standards he imposed on Phil Hogan saying the standards that applied to one applied to all are exposed as hypocrites. And Varadkar’s cavalier disregard for confidentiality seen also in Shane Ross’s account of Cabinet is going to tarnish him and trust in dealing with him. Even more, the triggered backlash from FG in the Dáil revealing their inverted values when they described the questioning of Varadkar by the people’s representatives as inhumane while the homeless continued to die in the streets will be seen as an affront to decency.

The media focus may well move on. The facts are very clear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement