Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Lads... You're like a dog with a bone. This one is over. SIPO won't do jack ****. The gardaí hate the shinners more than anyone in this country, with the exception of maybe the Defence Forces. Not a hope they'll investigate this in any meaningful way.

I'd say they had a right good laugh a Chay Bowes and the editor of the Village ringing up making complaints. :D

It's so over, that you pop in every hour or so to reassure us that it's over. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lads... You're like a dog with a bone. This one is over. SIPO won't do jack ****. The gardaí hate the shinners more than anyone in this country, with the exception of maybe the Defence Forces. Not a hope they'll investigate this in any meaningful way.

I'd say they had a right good laugh a Chay Bowes and the editor of the Village ringing up making complaints. :D

The impartial police force in the state won't investigate allegations of wrongdoing because "they hate" the main opposition party:confused:

Would that be considered political policing if true?

One would hope we live in a democratic Republic where wrongdoing is investigated regardless of who is in power or opposition. I don't think you realise the stupidity of what you just posted.

I don't think you thought that reply out before posting it pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

It's so over, that you pop in every hour or so to reassure us that it's over. :rolleyes:

I'm embarrassed for the people who won't let this go.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CarProblem

I'm embarrassed for the people who won't let this go.

Such as you?

To be fair I don't know if you're a troll or serious but people in glass houses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Gardai are making political decisions about what suspected crimes to investigate?
    Interesting perception to have for a FG supporter.

SIPO don't have a lot of power, you are correct, but it is critically important that they investigate this too.

The power swap have seen to it that even if found to be in breach of the rules and regs, accountability is extremely difficult to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The reason Leo (seems to) have gotten away with this is because it didnt gain enough traction with the great unwashed.

Joe Soap only has eyes for covid at the moment.

Also the offence is not all that relatable to Joe Soap - he gave a document to someone that he shouldnt have but the contents of the document were already out there..wha? It's not enough to fire folk up. The Maria Bailey compo thing was far more relatable to the man on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The reason Leo (seems to) have gotten away with this is because it didnt gain enough traction with the great unwashed.

Joe Soap only has eyes for covid at the moment.

Also the offence is not all that relatable to Joe Soap - he gave a document to someone that he shouldnt have but the contents of the document were already out there..wha? It's not enough to fire folk up. The Maria Bailey compo thing was far more relatable to the man on the street.

You are correct in that it didn't get the public traction it needed. It didn't help that the Village magazine all but killed the story themselves with there building up of more to come and then producing nothing. They should have just left it with what they released initially. Still doesn't excuse what he did nor does it excuse the government for not sanctioning him?

McMurphy wrote: »
    The impartial police force in the state won't investigate allegations of wrongdoing because "they hate" the main opposition party:confused:

One would hope we live in a democratic Republic where wrongdoing is investigated regardless of who is in power or opposition. I don't think you realise the stupidity of what you just posted.

So if the say Labour or the Soc Dems logged the complaint it would treated more seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Floppybits wrote: »
    So if the say Labour or the Soc Dems logged the complaint it would treated more seriously?

The Garda complaint wasn't 'logged' by a political party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

McMurphy wrote: »

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me
    There is a lag in respect by a lot of Gardai IMO caused in the main by their experiences with dissident thugs
    Imagine like, stopping a lad with no tax or insurance who tells you he doesn't recognise the guards authority or the state they represent?
    This goes on
    Add to that, the unfortunate 'we've broke the state' video from David Cullinane's election night celebrations and the image a lot of gardai get is not good of Republicans
    But that aside,resources are so stretched burglary investigations often can't go far
    So it won't be surprising that this won't go far
    Plus there's too big a case there to state that the Taoiseach of the time could legally do this
    It'll be held up though ,the non prosecution, as a stick by FG to wave at anyone that mentions it next election

This is why I've thought from the start of this thread that this was a wholesale waste of a weapon that should have been saved for a few days into a general election

• Advertisement

The Garda complaint wasn't 'logged' by a political party.

Oops sorry I meant SIPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You are correct in that it didn't get the public traction it needed. It didn't help that the Village magazine all but killed the story themselves with there building up of more to come and then producing nothing. They should have just left it with what they released initially. Still doesn't excuse what he did nor does it excuse the government for not sanctioning him?

Oh i'm not excusing it at all it's just that, as a political grenade, the timing was sub optimal as was the execution. "Leo" is a household name and he is fairly well liked for some reason so i cant see this being enough to take him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Leo did nothing wrong. The document was already discussed, voted on and in the public domain. The contributors to the village article came across as bitter losers.

Come on Maryanne, it's time that you began to stop and think and sigh not spin about how this began.

'Leo' stood up in Dáil Éireann and admitted he sent a copy of a confidential document to a person he claims was a casual friend.

If you live in a world where that is not wrong then well... you can't complain if another Taoiseach from a party you dislike ever do anything that is not 'best practice'. You have declared it isn't wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You are accusing the Garda of being a political tool for parties they like against those they don't. So do you think they tried to hang Clare Daly while letting Cowen off lightly, until he got mouthy? Do you think the fix was in on Maurice McCabe and the Tulsa error a set up? Do you think Fitzgerald knew or was involved? Major claim there Paddy. Calling the Garda corrupt for playing politics, have you any proof?

Do you think it's healthy or bodes well for any future FF or SF government that high level ministers can leak confidential documents to friends and expect absolutely no comeback? Would you be happy to have PBP, SF, FF act in a similar manner and not be held to account?

Bowie wrote: »
    You are accusing the Garda of being a political tool for parties they like against those they don't. So do you think they tried to hang Clare Daly while letting Cowen off lightly, until he got mouthy? Do you think the fix was in on Maurice McCabe and the Tulsa error a set up? Do you think Fitzgerald knew or was involved? Major claim there Paddy. Calling the Garda corrupt for playing politics, have you any proof?

Do you think it's healthy or bodes well for any future FF or SF government that high level ministers can leak confidential documents to friends and expect absolutely no comeback? Would you be happy to have PBP, SF, FF act in a similar manner and not be held to account?

Oh no no. Of course not. Believing that sort of stuff is for conspiracy theory nutbags.

No, I have the utmost respect for An Garda Síocháná and don't believe they are in any way political. I just worded that post badly.

What I meant was that there doesn't seem to be much for the gardaí to investigate on this and I don't think they'll be taking detailed statements from spoofers like Chay Bowes or the 'journalists' that work for the Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I don't think they'll be taking detailed statements from spoofers like Chay Bowes

I obviously haven't been paying close enough attention to this but I was under the impression that the complaint was made by Chay Bowes, maybe I'm wrong. The Gardai will obviously be taking a detailed statement from the complainant (whoever that was)

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I obviously haven't been paying close enough attention to this but I was under the impression that the complaint was made by Chay Bowes, maybe I'm wrong. The Gardai will obviously be taking a detailed statement from the complainant (whoever that was)

I'd say it'll go something like this.

533191.gif

Oh no no. Of course not. Believing that sort of stuff is for conspiracy theory nutbags.

No, I have the utmost respect for An Garda Síocháná and don't believe they are in any way political. I just worded that post badly.

Fair enough but...
    The gardaí hate the shinners more than anyone in this country, with the exception of maybe the Defence Forces. Not a hope they'll investigate this in any meaningful way.

... says pretty clearly that you believe the upholders of the law play favourites when it comes to carrying out their duties.
    What I meant was that there doesn't seem to be much for the gardaí to investigate on this and I don't think they'll be taking detailed statements from spoofers like Chay Bowes or the 'journalists' that work for the Village.

That's a completely different line or comment Paddy. Hardly a rewording. A complete change of opinion.

Any road; Do you think it's healthy or bodes well for any future FF or SF government that high level ministers can leak confidential documents to friends and expect absolutely no comeback? Would you be happy to have PBP, SF, FF act in a similar manner and not be held to account?

I'd say it'll go something like this.

533191.gif

Seems you are again suggesting the Garda only carry out their duties if they approve of the person/party making the complaint. Not a very good view of the Garda Paddy. I assume you've proof of this claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

Maurice McCabe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Bowie wrote: »

Morris tribunal sort of sums up the Gardai , don't think much has changed since, them sticking Dinnys aerials on the stations in the mid 90s didn't help their image much either,

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Come on Maryanne, it's time that you began to stop and think and sigh not spin about how this began.

'Leo' stood up in Dáil Éireann and admitted he sent a copy of a confidential document to a person he claims was a casual friend.

If you live in a world where that is not wrong then well... you can't complain if another Taoiseach from a party you dislike ever do anything that is not 'best practice'. You have declared it isn't wrong.

If this document was in public domain.....why was stephen donnolly on record in the dail,the day after leos mate received it,wanting it published??

Reminds me of the primary school rhyme....What wicked webs we weave,when we practice to decieve

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If this document was in public domain.....why was stephen donnolly on record in the dail,the day after leos mate received it,wanting it published??

Reminds me of the primary school rhyme....What wicked webs we weave,when we practice to decieve

And if the document was in the public domain why did Dr. Zero Craic want a copy?

Really is too easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I think you are talking about the wrong party there.
    Jmcc put it fairly right. FG are a fiscally responsible party, FF and SF are populist party's that promise the sun moon and stars, but fiscal rules won't allow for the type of spending needed to allow for their policies to work.
    In a coalition arrangement there are compromises made that offset that somewhat.
    SF going forward may well end up in coalition with either FF or FG, so will be tempered somewhat in that arrangement if its FG.
    But a SF leftist alliance or even with FF, might well be a dangerous combination for the country's economic future.
    If you boom an economy that can help a generation by giving too much away, and easing access to credit is included in that, that fcuks up the economy again for the next couple of generations, what good is that?

F**k it I will requote this. FGers, explain this as it is on their watch.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/children-s-hospital-contractor-submits-claims-for-hundreds-of-millions-of-euro-extra-1.4412440

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Whoever is running the Village Twitter account should step away from a computer.
    They are getting very Trollish.

Getting their arse handed to them about cycle lanes.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1329378731668987906

Can even get the basics right, while using their Twitter account as a personal platform.

Schoolboy stuff. Leo is right, suing them is like suing someone on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

markodaly wrote: »
    Whoever is running the Village Twitter account should step away from a computer.
    They are getting very Trollish.

Getting their arse handed to them about cycle lanes.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1329378731668987906

Can even get the basics right, while using their Twitter account as a personal platform.

Schoolboy stuff. Leo is right, suing them is like suing someone on Twitter.

Their official twitter account calling people that respond with reasonable tweets as "silly trolls" is not a great look for something that is trying to claim itself as a respectable news source.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1329488075848900609?s=19

There's a distinct whiff of "the media organisation that broke the story about the Taoiseach (at the time) slipping a confidential document to a friend on the sly is not of the standard of The Washington Post ergo the story has no merit"

It doesn't matter if the story was broken by a luddite printing a fanzine as a lithograph - LV did indeed slip a confidential document to a friend.
    He admitted it.
    Attacking the Village won't change that. It does keep the story alive in people's mind tho so carry on.

There's a distinct whiff of "the media organisation that broke the story about the Taoiseach (at the time) slipping a confidential document to a friend on the sly is not of the standard of The Washington Post ergo the story has no merit"

It doesn't matter if the story was broken by a luddite printing a fanzine as a lithograph - LV did indeed slip a confidential document to a friend.
    He admitted it.
    Attacking the Village won't change that. It does keep the story alive in people's mind tho so carry on.

This standard practice amongst certain party supporters, sure you had one on here admit that they only media they use is RTE, The Irish Times and Indo and that any other media are just a load of cranks.

If the story is true it doesn't matter who breaks it.

If the story is true it doesn't matter who breaks it.

If the story is true it doesn't matter who breaks it

Just thought that deserved to be repeated and highlighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If the story is true it doesn't matter who breaks it

Just thought that deserved to be repeated and highlighted.

Very true. However there is a professional way to break it and then theres the way Village Magazine go about their news pieces. It's hurting their cause, not sure why they behave the way they do. Calling people that have a different opinion to them on Twitter "silly trolls" via their official social media account is just unprofessional, no matter how you look at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement