Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Very true. However there is a professional way to break it and then theres the way Village Magazine go about their news pieces. It's hurting their cause, not sure why they behave the way they do. Calling people that have a different opinion to them on Twitter "silly trolls" via their official social media account is just unprofessional, no matter how you look at it.

Bubba have you looked at the official FG Twitter account recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,486 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is on Tik Tok, rejoice not

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He is on Tik Tok, rejoice not

So are the piss take ones.

https://twitter.com/sonofedge/status/1329765394178060289?s=08

Making a video that was so easily manipulated will be something his handlers will surely regret.

FG and social media don't mix well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

McMurphy wrote: »
    Bubba have you looked at the official FG Twitter account recently?

Can't say I have. Don't follow their social media or vote for them. Not sure what that has to do with my post, however.

Can't say I have. Don't follow their social media or vote for them. Not sure what that has to do with my post, however.

Let's get this straight. You typed out a long winded post about the "unprofessional conduct" of a media outlet on their official twitter account in their tweets about Leo Varadkar, who is the leader of Fine Gael, and "you aren't sure" what me asking if you've ever had a look at the "official Fine Gael twitter account" had to do with your post:confused:

I strongly suspect that to be a fib bubba

As for voting for them, I couldn't care less whether you do or not, and am unsure why you would volunteer that information unprompted tbh.

• Advertisement

Let's get this straight. You typed out a long winded post about the "unprofessional conduct" of a media outlet on their official twitter account in their tweets about Leo Varadkar, who is the leader of Fine Gael, and "you aren't sure" what me asking if you've ever had a look at the "official Fine Gael twitter account" had to do with your post:confused:

I strongly suspect that to be a fib bubba

As for voting for them, I couldn't care less whether you do or not, and am unsure why you would volunteer that information unprompted tbh.

What long winded post? I think you may be mixing me up with another poster.

I just commented on how unprofessional it looks for Village Magazine to:
    1: to tweet something that is factually incorrect about Section 38
    2. Subsequently accuse an individual of being a "silly troll" who did nothing other than point out the inaccuracy.

If you want to bring up something else that I havent seen, then feel free to post about that yourself. I can't exactly make a post about something I havent seen. I only follow news sources on Twitter.

What long winded post? I think you may be mixing me up with another poster.

I just commented on how unprofessional it looks for Village Magazine to:
    1: to tweet something that is factually incorrect about Section 38
    2. Subsequently accuse an individual of being a "silly troll" who did nothing other than point out the inaccuracy.

If you want to bring up something else that I havent seen, then feel free to post about that yourself. I can't exactly make a post about something I havent seen. I only follow news sources on Twitter.

Ok well if you want to see unprofessionalism and trolling, I strongly recommend having a look at the official Fine Gael twitter account.

Same page now yeah?

Ok well if you want to see unprofessionalism and trolling, I strongly recommend having a look at the official Fine Gael twitter account.

Same page now yeah?

I definitely feel you have confused my posts with someone else's though, given I was on about their tweets about the new cycle lane and you jumped in with "yeah but what about FG" and wondered why I am confused about the relevance of your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Scoondal wrote: »

Leo caught. Stuttering and wide eyed. That's a bad liar. He should be demoted to the back bench for 6 months.

I definitely feel you have confused my posts with someone else's though, given I was on about their tweets about the new cycle lane and you jumped in with "yeah but what about FG" and wondered why I am confused about the relevance of your reply.

Not confused at all, the only reason you are mentioning The Village Magazine, and the "unprofessionalism of their official twitter account" is because they're tweeting about Leo Varadkar who is the leader of Fine Gael and this thread is about the village magazine and their story about Leo Varadkar broke largely via Twitter

Hence why you were asked if you had ever seen the official Fine Gael twitter account?

How you believe I'm confusing you is another strongly suspected fib I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Very true. However there is a professional way to break it and then theres the way Village Magazine go about their news pieces. It's hurting their cause, not sure why they behave the way they do. Calling people that have a different opinion to them on Twitter "silly trolls" via their official social media account is just unprofessional, no matter how you look at it.

Yes, and that is a fair point.
    Equally having 'reporters'/'journalists' who are champions of one particular party is also unprofessional yet rarely seen as an issue.

I am of the opinion that those who seek to expose the story (what ever it may be) but act the langer on social media are infinitely preferable to those who seek to bury the story (what ever it may be) and cast themselves as unbiased and impartial.

But whatever one's view of the media - the fact remains, the story itself is factual. Leo did it.

Not confused at all, the only reason you are mentioning The Village Magazine, and the "unprofessionalism of their official twitter account" is because they're tweeting about Leo Varadkar who is the leader of Fine Gael and this thread is about the village magazine and their story about Leo Varadkar broke largely via Twitter

Hence why you were asked if you had ever seen the official Fine Gael twitter account?

How you believe I'm confusing you is another strongly suspected fib I'm afraid.

I've no time for whataboutery sorry. I was replying to a post on this thread regarding their cycle lane tweet and only that. If you want to comment on other separate things then go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps the Village Magazine is doing something new in Irish Journalism: telling the truth about FG and FGers? Naturally, there are some who are not used to it.

As for the Village Magazine being unprofessional, they are journalists rather than government press release recyclers. Perhaps the Bluebot trolls aren't used to that?

Regards...jmcc

I've no time for whataboutery sorry. I was replying to a post on this thread regarding their cycle lane tweet and only that. If you want to comment on other separate things then go ahead.

It's not whataboutery bubba, you literally replied to a post about the village breaking the story about Leo (who is the leader of the fine gael party) to bannashide - here it is here.
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    If the story is true it doesn't matter who breaks it

Just thought that deserved to be repeated and highlighted.

You brought up their "unprofessionalism via their tweets on their official twitter account" about something else apparently. (Now that's whataboutery alright)

Which led me to ask you if you ever looked at the official Fine Gael twitter account.

I'll leave it there though as it's slightly (but only slightly) off topic.

jmcc wrote: »
    Perhaps the Village Magazine is doing something new in Irish Journalism: telling the truth about FG and FGers? Naturally, there are some who are not used to it.

As for the Village Magazine being unprofessional, they are journalists rather than government press release recyclers. Perhaps the Bluebot trolls aren't used to that?

Regards...jmcc

Not sure they have shown much journalism expertise to be honest. They were handed a relatively juicy story on a plate by Paddy Cosgrave, and completely messed up the delivery. And now they are calling people "silly trolls" on twitter in an argument over a bike lane where they are the ones misquoting law. There also appears to be some confusion ongoing over a GoFundMe page and whether it was a fake fund set up by someone pretending to be the magazine or just pulled.

It's not whataboutery bubba, you literally replied to a post about the village breaking the story about Leo (who is the leader of the fine gael party) to bannashide - here it is here.

You brought up their "unprofessionalism via their tweets on their official twitter account" about something else apparently. (Now that's whataboutery alright)

Which led me to ask you if you ever looked at the official Fine Gael twitter account.

I'll leave it there though as it's slightly (but only slightly) off topic.

Those posts appeared to be in direct response to my post about the bike lane immediately prior, see this post below again for your reference. If I picked them up wrong and they weren't actually reacting to my post then fair enough.
    Their official twitter account calling people that respond with reasonable tweets as "silly trolls" is not a great look for something that is trying to claim itself as a respectable news source.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1329488075848900609?s=19

The document that Mr Varadkar shared was "NOT FOR CIRCULATION".
    No sanction, no nothing. He can freely do as he pleases. Irish politics is disgusting.

Not sure they have shown much journalism expertise to be honest.
    They got the story, checked it out and they ran it. The government press release recyclers didn't and FG is upset.

FG's online activists (Bluebots) are doing the exact same thing as when the neo-Unionist Charlie Flanagan attempted to commemorate the Black and Tans/RIC. With the collapse of the easily subverted print newspaper business due to Covid, the propaganda battle has shifted online where FG is less able to control it.

Regards...jmcc

Varadker lied to parliament when answering Peadar Tobin's question.
    He should resign as a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,700 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Varadker lied to parliament when answering Peadar Tobin's question.
    He should resign as a TD.

What lie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

They got the story, checked it out and they ran it.

they didn't ask the person in question what he did and where he was at the time he is said to have been meeting MOT

they didn't ask the person in question what he did and where he was at the time he is said to have been meeting MOT
    The story was the leak of a confidential document by the tainiste to a friend. Not only did it turn out to be true, Leo The Leak admitted it on the Dail record. There's been an obvious campaign to muddy the waters by FG and the Bluebots but the fact remains that Varadkar leaked a a document that was marked as being confidential and not for circulation. The PR flacks and shills are trying to distract attention from this action by shifting it to meetings and timings. The one thing that FG cannot discredit is that Varadkar leaked a document that was marked confidential and not for circulation and admitted to doing so. If there was an Irish Pulitzer Prize, the Village Magazine would have won it easily.

Regards...jmcc

The story was the leak of a confidential document by the tainiste to a friend. Not only did it turn out to be true, Leo The Leak admitted it on the Dail record. There's been an obvious campaign to muddy the waters by FG and the Bluebots but the fact remains that Varadkar leaked a a document that was marked as being confidential and not for circulation. The PR flacks and shills are trying to distract attention from this action by shifting it to meetings and timings. The one thing that FG cannot discredit is that Varadkar leaked a document that was marked confidential and not for circulation and admitted to doing so. If there was an Irish Pulitzer Prize, the Village Magazine would have won it easily.

Regards...jmcc

its the village magwzine that shifted it to being about meeting and timings, they introduced all that.

walshb wrote: »
    What lie?

He was asked "did you ever leak confidential cabinet information "
    he responded "no"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/varadkar-apologises-over-leak-of-confidential-gp-contract-to-rival-group-1.4398960

There you go.

walshb wrote: »
    What lie?

Hello ?

No response. Leo Liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

He was asked "did you ever leak confidential cabinet information "
    he responded "no"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/varadkar-apologises-over-leak-of-confidential-gp-contract-to-rival-group-1.4398960

There you go.

The document wasn't cabinet confidential information. It was for negotiations between the government and the IMO, which had concluded prior to being shared. Subsequently, it was published.

You're trying to conflate the issue by tieing the words confidential and cabinet together to create a false narrative. Had this been a confidential document that was for Government eyes only and not shared with the IMO you might have been on to something.

Good try but null pointe.

its the village magwzine that shifted it to being about meeting and timings, they introduced all that.
    The FGers and the Bluebots piled in on the meetings and timings but they did not discredit the story. Varadkar leaked the confidential document to a friend and admitted doing so on the Dail record. Varadkar claimed that MOT was not a "friend" friend and that he had only met him a few times. The Village Magazine then published details of texts/messages. Vardkar's not a friend" friend story began to fall apart.

Regards...jmcc

The document wasn't cabinet confidential information.
    The confidential, not for distribution notice on each page wasn't a clue? Varadkar leaked a confidential document to his friend.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The confidential, not for distribution notice on each page wasn't a clue? Varadkar leaked a confidential document to his friend.

Regards...jmcc

That copy Varadkar had was a reference copy he kept . By the time he "leaked" it, it was already in the public domain. The only thing someone is actually guilty of in this whole hill of beans, is poor document control.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    By the time he "leaked" it, it was already in the public domain.
    is that true?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement