Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

is that true?
    No.

Regards...jmcc

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That copy Varadkar had was a reference copy he kept . By the time he "leaked" it, it was already in the public domain. The only thing someone is actually guilty of in this whole hill of beans, is poor document control.
    Varadkar claimed to have binned the original copy and requested another copy.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jmcc wrote: »
    Varadkar claimed to have binned the original copy and requested another copy.

Regards...jmcc

Yes, that is what he said. He was asked to get it and he specifically requested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Bluebots?

Jesus that's embarrassing, nearly as bad as shinnerbots which isn't allows be used around here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's beyond credible that Leo Varadkar and MO'T were not close friends. I think Varadkar's credibility is completely gone now in light of everything that's come out. I wonder what other information was confidentially leaked to MOT?

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1329119009116139520?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

thevillage magazine messed this up, you put elements of your story to the subject to give them a chance to respond, he night not have answered but you can say you asked, if he did respond to each question about his whereabouts you can then triple check it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Larbre34 wrote: »
    By the time he "leaked" it, it was already in the public domain.

IT WAS NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN WHEN HE LEAKED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    IT WAS NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN WHEN HE LEAKED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's basic Terri the witch spinning, try and confuse the time when it happened, Tuam babies being famine victims, Leo giving copy of report to buddy to save him ink toner , McEntee making actual decisions instead of signing off on someone else's recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

thevillage magazine messed this up, you put elements of your story to the subject to give them a chance to respond, he night not have answered but you can say you asked, if he did respond to each question about his whereabouts you can then triple check it yourself.

Pretty sure in the initial article the village put out they said they contacted Leo but he refused to answer their questions or made no comment etc.

Think it's even in this thread and someone commented that he knew it was coming hence why he had been so quiet in the weeks beforehand.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Pretty sure in the initial article the village put out they said they contacted Leo but he refused to answer their questions or made no comment etc.

Think it's even in this thread and someone commented that he knew it was coming hence why he had been so quiet in the weeks beforehand.

scanning through the article I don't see where they say that

https://villagemagazine.ie/varadkar-leaks-confidential-document/

I was more referring to the second article about the meeting

https://villagemagazine.ie/at-least-10-times-not-2-or-3/

again I don't see where they said they put each meeting to Varadkar

• Advertisement

timmyntc wrote: »
    They contacted Leo Varadkar in advance of publishing the article but he did not respond.
    It's even mentioned in the article. Did you read it?
    where is it mentioned in the articles https://villagemagazine.ie/varadkar-leaks-confidential-document/ https://villagemagazine.ie/at-least-10-times-not-2-or-3/

smurgen wrote: »
    It's beyond credible that Leo Varadkar and MO'T were not close friends. I think Varadkar's credibility is completely gone now in light of everything that's come out. I wonder what other information was confidentially leaked to MOT?

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1329119009116139520?s=19

Jeez, they’re getting desperate! Are they suggesting that they were in a relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The very first day they broke with this news they stated that they had gave LV right of reply and that they gave him notice of allegations.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The very first day they broke with this news they stated that they had gave LV right of reply and that they gave him notice of allegations.
    where? https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3AVillageMagIRE%20until%3A2020-11-02%20since%3A2020-10-31&src=typed_query&f=live
    any such statement should be in the article

where?

Look, I'm not trawling through Twitter or the village for the past 3 weeks but ye can either believe me and others here that said Village Magazine contacted LV prior to publication or you needn't bother. But the fact is they stated they did.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Look, I'm not trawling through Twitter or the village for the past 3 weeks but ye can either believe me and others here that said Village Magazine contacted LV prior to publication or you needn't bother. But the fact is they stated they did.

you don't need to trawl there advanced search tools https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3AVillageMagIRE%20until%3A2020-11-02%20since%3A2020-10-31&src=typed_query&f=live

if a tweets exist you can link to it thats a fact.

you don't need to trawl there advanced search tools https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3AVillageMagIRE%20until%3A2020-11-02%20since%3A2020-10-31&src=typed_query&f=live

if a tweet exist you can link to it thats fact.

Can't be arsed, too much rugby, horse racing and
    GAA on today to be worried about LeotheLeak

There's a bit of a backseat driver element in your approach to the story.

With a story of this magnitude, the Village Magazine had to get the facts about the leak right. It also commented on putting the allegations to Varadkar. This may have been on Twitter as the story broke. Varadkar even mentioned the contact on the Dail record.

There's quite a difference between investigative journalism and press release recycling. In Ireland, the legal system is used to bully attempts at investigative journalism. Varadkar was caught leaking a document marked CONFIDENTIAL and NOT FOR CIRCULATION to his friend.

The Village Magazine had Varadkar bang to rights. Two criminal complaints have been filed with the Gardai over Varadkar's activities. This means that there may be a Garda investigation underway and there may be a SIPO investigation.

SIPO is also an issue due to the attempt to appoint a lobbyist for NAGP to SIPO. SIPO would, theoretically, be investigating Varadkar's actions in leaking the CONFIDENTIAL document to his friend. This is way beyond GUBU.

Regards...jmcc

There's a bit of a backseat driver element in your approach to the story.

With a story of this magnitude, the Village Magazine had to get the facts about the leak right. It also commented on putting the allagations to Varadkar. This may have been on Twitter as the story broke. Varadkar even mentioned the contact on the Dail record.

There's quite a difference between investigative journalism and press release recycling. In Ireland, the legal system is used to bully attempts at investigative journalism. Varadkar was caught leaking a document marked CONFIDENTIAL and NOT FOR CIRCULATION to his friend.

The Village Magazine had Varadkar bang to rights. Two criminal complaints have been filed with the Gardai over Varadkar's activities. This means that there may be a Garda investigation underway and there may be a SIPO investigation.

the village have spent the past 2 weeks going on about how Varadkar hasn't been answering their questions, they should have put to them to him before they printed the article (and then they can triple check his response again themselves), that's how proper investigating journalism works as far as I know.

the village have spent the past 2 weeks going on about how Varadkar hasn't been answering their questions, they should have put to them to him before they printed the article (and then they can triple check his response again themselves), that's how proper investigating journalism works as far as I know.
    The Village Magazine put the questions to Varadkar before publication and Varadkar did not reply. He said so in the Dail.

Investigative journalism is quite different to a lot of the stuff you see on TV. It involves a lot more hard work, fact checking and getting confirmations. In Ireland, investigative journalism is even more risky due to the way that the legal system is used to intimidate journalists and publications. That's before the PR shills and their flunkies in the "media" get involved. Emerson's quote about when one strikes at the king is quite apt for Irish investigative journalism. The risks if one gets it wrong are much higher than in other countries. The Village Magazine got the story and got Varadkar bang to rights on leaking a document marked CONFIDENTIAL to his friend.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

smurgen's threadban has been lifted after discussion with user.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

That quote is from Village Magazine saying "presumably after days of legal advice". So they are presuming, not quoting Varadkar there.

My memory of the dail questions session was that he only became aware of the story the night before it issued. An email had been received to his office but apparently it wasnt overly coherent and was not passed from staff to him.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    That quote is from Village Magazine saying "presumably after days of legal advice". So they are presuming, not quoting Varadkar there.

My memory of the dail questions session was that he only became aware of the story the night before it issued. An email had been received to his office but apparently it wasnt overly coherent and was not passed from staff to him.

I'm almost 110% certain the village magazine either had in one of their articles or tweeted that they gave Leo an opportunity/right of reply and he declined.

When I've time in the evening I'll dig it out, I'm also nearly certain the screenshot of same in this very thread. Again, when I've the dinner over me and sports are over on the TV if no-one has done so before me I'll dig it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'm almost 110% certain the village magazine either had in one of their articles or tweeted that they gave Leo an opportunity/right of reply and he declined.

When I've time in the evening I'll dig it out, I'm also nearly certain the screenshot of same in this very thread. Again, when I've the dinner over me and sports are over on the TV if no-one has done so before me I'll dig it out.

Well I'm just going by what was said in the Dail. An incoherent one liner email was received to his office, which was not forwarded to him (suppose that ticks the box for Village as "asked for comment with no response") and that he found out the evening before. Don't think there has been anything or anyone that has refuted that.

Regardless, the tweet you linked is simply Village making a presumption, it says it in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

This was all covered in this thread already
    It is the case that vradakar said in the debate that their email went to his office and wasn't specific enough to merit them replying
    I do remember that
    That tweet is misinformation unless the village publishes the exact email and when it was sent
    They haven't, and why is that?

The reason IMO is because they have been shown up as being all over the place on everything they've said
    A crowd of amateurs
    They had ONE piece of information, ONE,that could have been used during an election campaign for maximum effect and they blew it

The Village Magazine put the questions to Varadkar before publication and Varadkar did not reply. He said so in the Dail.

Investigative journalism is quite different to a lot of the stuff you see on TV. It involves a lot more hard work, fact checking and getting confirmations. In Ireland, investigative journalism is even more risky due to the way that the legal system is used to intimidate journalists and publications. That's before the PR shills and their flunkies in the "media" get involved. Emerson's quote about when one strikes at the king is quite apt for Irish investigative journalism. The risks if one gets it wrong are much higher than in other countries. The Village Magazine got the story and got Varadkar bang to rights on leaking a document marked CONFIDENTIAL to his friend.

Regards...jmcc

the situation re defamation in Ireland doesn't justify not putting questions to the subject of the story, thats part of the work of which you refer to, look at the Sunday Times putting the story to Delaney, they knew he was notorious for legal threats and actions but they still put the story to him, and had to deal with what came from that, Michael Smith doesn't come across to me as someone who is afraid of or unfamiliar with the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Hope dinner was nice Johnny. No sign of that was there?

Hope dinner was nice Johnny.

Dinner was grand Paddy, meatballs in a Moroccan style sauce with couscous and Pitta, with some ice cold Cooper's sparkling ale. Yourself?
    No sign of that was there?

What's this then........... A ham sandwich?

Thank you and goodnight.
    They approached Varadkar for comment apparently. https://twitter.com/Bryan_Wall/status/1322504394429075458

https://twitter.com/Bryan_Wall/status/1322504394429075458?s=19

• Advertisement

Dinner was grand Paddy, meatballs in a Moroccan style sauce with couscous and Pitta, with some ice cold Cooper's sparkling ale. Yourself?

What's this then........... A ham sandwich?

Thank you and goodnight.

https://twitter.com/Bryan_Wall/status/1322504394429075458?s=19

They’re still flogging the dead horse. Almost as embarrassing as Trumps tweets!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement