Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

markodaly wrote: »
    Ive seen this crap brought up a lot lately, as if Leo orchestrated/paid the coffee lady or some **** like that.

Honestly, when it comes to Leo, people are just bat **** crazy and lose all rational thought. They really really hate him and as I mentioned before, him not being of 100% 'Irish' stock and being gay, really grates on many people here.

We have plenty of examples of unconscious homophobia and xenophobia here.

They're 2 of the things he has going on in his favour. Nothing wrong with a bit of diversity.
    It's his apparent loose lips and narcissistic behaviour to be the centre of everything is the issue. Sure, we'd all love to meet Kylie or leak a potentially juicy tidbit to a friend but not all of us orchestrate it to be front page news.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ive seen this crap brought up a lot lately, as if Leo orchestrated/paid the coffee lady or some **** like that.

Honestly, when it comes to Leo, people are just bat **** crazy and lose all rational thought. They really really hate him and as I mentioned before, him not being of 100% 'Irish' stock and being gay, really grates on many people here.

I've disliked Leo since he stood in the Dáil to deny adoptin rights for same sex partners. I didn't know he was gay then...it has noting to do with my political opinion of him.
    Seems to weigh heavy on you and others here as you cannot separate his private life from his political behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You played that card before, didn’t work then, work work now.

It is not a card, its obvious that people hate him for more than what he does, and more so for who and what he is.

He is THE most talked about person bar Trump in CA. No Irish person comes close to the hatred he gets and one has to wonder if there is more to it, which the evidence supports.

Boards.ie is the thin edge of the wedge. Just go on Twitter, FB and you will see the type of blatant racist, homophobic and racist remarks he gets.

Remember that SF Facebook group that was caught spouting racist and homophobic stuff?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1340212625955799040

Some regular posters here are just obsessed with him and I could name names here but won't out of respecting for the mods.

It is always the same 5-6 posters day after day after day, digging this stuff up, posting tweets, defending SF policy, attacking the government and especially FG/Leo. It is relentless.

I go away for a few weeks because you know, I have a life outside boards.ie, but I can come back after a few weeks and it's the same small few posters still going at it, day after day, relentless stuff.

Like, you know I don't like SF, but I am not THAT motivated to be online 18 hours a day attacking them, day after day. What is the point really? I am not going to change anyone minds and visa versa.

There is other nefarious stuff going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You can't handle the truth when it's laid out bare in front of you Mark.

Analyse that.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It is not a card, its obvious that people hate him for more than what he does, and more so for who and what he is.

He is THE most talked about person bar Trump in CA. No Irish person comes close to the hatred he gets and one has to wonder if there is more to it, which the evidence supports.

Boards.ie is the thin edge of the wedge. Just go on Twitter, FB and you will see the type of blatant racist, homophobic and racist remarks he gets.

Remember that SF Facebook group that was caught spouting racist and homophobic stuff?

Some regular posters here are just obsessed with him and I could name names here but won't out of respecting for the mods.

It is always the same 5-6 posters day after day after day, digging this stuff up, posting tweets, defending SF policy, attacking the government and especially FG/Leo. It is relentless.

I go away for a few weeks because you know, I have a life outside boards.ie, but I can come back after a few weeks and it's the same small few posters still going at it, day after day, relentless stuff.

Like, you know I don't like SF, but I am not THAT motivated to be online 18 hours a day attacking them, day after day. What is the point really? I am not going to change anyone minds and visa versa.

Why do people hate trump? Why’s he so talked about? If you can answer that you’ll know the reason why Leo is hated also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It doesn't matter what I post, because you won't believe it regardless.
    Let us not pretend you are actually debating honestly here.

You have repeatedly been asked to quote directly from the Charleton report, what it says specifically about "exonerating" Frances Fitzgerald for misleading the Dail?

You repeatedly refuse (read as you're unable) to do so, because it doesn't do so.

The reason it doesn't do so, is very simple, the Charleton report didn't touch on Fitzgerald misleading, and forcing Leo to mislead the Dail, that's not what the report was set up to establish, it wasn't even in the terms of reference, so she has not been exonerated for it, nor will she ever be, right up until the day she draws her dying breath.

There is certainly dishonesty on display here -its even against the charter to post in the way you're posting but that's for another days discussion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I completely disagree with most of franciebradys opinions andbelieve SF are spouting unrealistic populist pie in the sky ****e most of the time, bit the reason people don't like Leo is nothing to do with xenophobia and homophobia.

He's a spoofer and always has been. Always looking at the next rung on the ladder. Not in it for the greater good, and never has been. Always looking for the photo op

I think he deserves some credit for managing a **** storm for the first while last year, because none of us expected us to still be where we are, but he's a careerist, always has been, always will be.

Most politicians are false , for every Joe Higgins who have their convictions and stick them, theres 100 Leo's, but Leos veneer has always been fairly transparent and shallow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He’s most talked about because he’s our most high profile politician and constantly makes gaffes. He’s the worst type of slime bag politician that will literally say or do anything if he believes it’s the “in” thing to do. He puts himself in these situations and that’s AFTER spending hundreds of thousands of the taxpayers money on PR firms.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I completely disagree with most of franciebradys opinions andbelieve SF are spouting unrealistic populist pie in the sky ****e most of the time, bit the reason people don't like Leo is nothing to do with xenophobia and homophobia.

He's a spoofer and always has been. Always looking at the next rung on the ladder. Not in it for the greater good, and never has been. Always looking for the photo op

I think he deserves some credit for managing a **** storm for the first while last year, because none of us expected us to still be where we are, but he's a careerist, always has been, always will be.

Most politicians are false , for every Joe Higgins who have their convictions and stick them, theres 100 Leo's, but Leos veneer has always been fairly transparent and shallow

Some people are of course like that, no problem from me, but there are other's whos intentions and motivations are different. Again, just look at the stuff that gets directed at him on Social Media.

Sure, we had a SF councillor give an interview where he expressed homophobic and xenophobic messages, who then SF locals in Tallaght put forward for Mayor!

This stuff does exist, and you will be foolish to ignore that side of it.

Some people are just obsessed, they need someone to direct their hate and cover up their own failings in life.

McMurphy wrote: »
    because it doesn't do so.

It does, even MM and FF after the fact conceded as much in their own way.

But go ahead and spread lies and falsehoods.
    It is funny though you have a thing for FG female TD's.

Frances Fitzgerald, Josepha Maddigan, Helen McEntee and who can forget the man-hours you put into the Maria Baily incident.

Personally, I think you have an issue with FG female TD's and see them as a soft touch, sure its all bantz?:rolleyes:
    There is another word to describe that behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Frances Fitzgerald, Josepha Maddigan, Helen McEntee and who can forget the man-hours you put into the Maria Baily incident.

Personally, I think you have an issue with FG female TD's and see them as a soft touch, sure its all bantz?:rolleyes:
    You reek of desperation, struggling to agree with any faults of a political party or person, and would rather start blaming homophobia, xenophobia, misogyny and God knows what else could crop up if/when it suits you.
    You are a danger to anything I would consider relevant to any civilised type of conversation or debate, and much worse than that.

It's almost as if you are some sort of spoiled brat, used to getting your way and when somebody disagrees you start accusing them of all sorts of other things.
    I am struggling to think if there was any person in recent history that was like that, and if they ever got to a position of power, for example a leader of a nation. It would be interesting, and if so I would love to know how they were perceived globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

If you believe anyone has misogynistic views and is posting as such, Report it, don't make veiled insinuations on thread.

It does
    WHERE THOUGH, WHY CANT YOU QUOTE IT:confused:
    , even MM and FF after the fact conceded as much in their own way.

They did? Ok, let's play a game, - I'll quote FF absolutely sticking to their opinion that the report vindicated her for her role in the Maurice McCabe saga, but didn't and won't ever exonerate her for misleading, and in return forcing Leo to mislead the Dail.
    However, in a statement, Fianna Fáil said Ms Fitzgerald had to resign because it and "the majority of the Dáil had lost confidence" in her.

The party said that this followed "a trail of mishaps, including forcing the Taoiseach to mislead the House on numerous occasions.

"No finding of Mr Justice Charleton disturbs that fact and every Government Minister is accountable to Dáil Éireann.
    "

Now, you quote them "conceding" that the report exonerated her from misleading the Dail "in their own way"

You reached the gutter now mark, well done, the above is what you've resorted to because it's all you've left to cling to. **Slow clap**

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He’s most talked about because he’s our most high profile politician and constantly makes gaffes. He’s the worst type of slime bag politician that will literally say or do anything if he believes it’s the “in” thing to do. He puts himself in these situations and that’s AFTER spending hundreds of thousands of the taxpayers money on PR firms.

Lets not forget that Leo stood up in the Dail as a gay man and literally spoke against giving rights to the gay community. And then an opinion poll came out to show that the public overwhelmingly backed the gay marriage referendum and go tobann Leo changed his mind ar nós na gaoithe. He even brought Enda Kenny and a phalanx of photographers and a TV camera crew along to Pantibar to prove it icon14.png

And lets also not forget the hundreds of gay activists who worked for over a decade to get that referendum passed. Many of them suffered homophobic abuse and threats but they carried on the fight undeterred and with dignity. Many of them watched Leo in the Dail fighting against their cause. Only for them then to see the same hypocrite at Dublin Castle claiming the credit for it all. There were hundreds of unsung heroes behind that fight and then there is Leo. Its a bit like that time when Rosanna Davidson claimed she ran the marathon for charity but then it turned out that she emerged from the crowd and hopped the barrier to run the final hundred metres so she could pose for photographers at the finish line.

Leo is not a leader, he is a coward. And the worst kind of coward, he is gay man who tried to prevent rights for other gay men and then just like Rosanna he showed up in the final hundred metres for the photographers. And yet he has his daily defenders on here, a collective of apologists for cowardice under the banner of @CampaignForLeo. Sad!

Speaking of spreading lies and falsehoods marko have you managed to find that line in the Charleton Tribunal Report that said Francis Fitzgerald was exonerated for misleading the Dail yet? I seem to remember that blanch gave those same lies and falsehoods a crack for a couple of days on here back in November and when called out on it he gave up because he couldnt provide the quote. Maybe you can do better? Or is it just the case that you swallowed Leos spin hook, line and sinker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lets not forget that Leo stood up in the Dail as a gay man and literally spoke against giving rights to the gay community. And then an opinion poll came out to show that the public overwhelmingly backed the gay marriage referendum and go tobann Leo changed his mind ar nós na gaoithe. He even brought Enda Kenny and a phalanx of photographers and a TV camera crew along to Pantibar to prove it icon14.png

And lets also not forget the hundreds of gay activists who worked for over a decade to get that referendum passed. Many of them suffered homophobic abuse and threats but they carried on the fight undeterred and with dignity. Many of them watched Leo in the Dail fighting against their cause. Only for them then to see the same hypocrite at Dublin Castle claiming the credit for it all. There were hundreds of unsung heroes behind that fight and then there is Leo. Its a bit like that time when Rosanna Davidson claimed she ran the marathon for charity but then it turned out that she emerged from the crowd and hopped the barrier to run the final hundred metres so she could pose for photographers at the finish line.

Leo is not a leader, he is a coward. And the worst kind of coward, he is gay man who tried to prevent rights for other gay men and then just like Rosanna he showed up in the final hundred metres for the photographers. And yet he has his daily defenders on here, a collective of apologists for cowardice under the banner of @CampaignForLeo. Sad!

Speaking of spreading lies and falsehoods marko have you managed to find that line in the Charleton Tribunal Report that said Francis Fitzgerald was exonerated for misleading the Dail yet? I seem to remember that blanch gave those same lies and falsehoods a crack for a couple of days on here back in November and when called out on it he gave up because he couldnt provide the quote. Maybe you can do better? Or is it just the case that you swallowed Leos spin hook, line and sinker?

Brendan Courtney was highly critical of Leo around that time.

Leo held a party in Dublin Castle I think but didn't invite him or many other activists.

https://goss.ie/showbiz/brendan-courtney-calls-leo-varadakar-lack-invite-commemoration-decriminalisation-homosexuality-140089

https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-features/i-was-called-a-fat-every-single-day-and-society-agreed-with-them-brendan-courtney-on-growing-up-in-an-ireland-where-being-gay-was-a-crime-37059296.html

So, with Michaél demanding Fitzgerald's resignation for misleading the Dail, doesn't anyone find it odd he's been eerily quiet on Varadkar/Harris misleading the Dail too :confused:

I can't get my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So, with Michaél demanding Fitzgerald's resignation for misleading the Dail, doesn't anyone find it odd he's been eerily quiet on Varadkar/Harris misleading the Dail too :confused:

I can’t sleep worrying about those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I don't know why you can't either , sure Micheàl couldn't afford to rock the boat now .They are keeping his government afloat ,who would he replace them with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

Its all shadow boxing, they snipe at each other in public or the dail and share jokes in the corridor. We are the bigger fools for voting the same old in.

The sooner we have a model of specialists for government portfolios and not just Teachers or someones son/daughter who was co-oped to the council at 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Weepsie wrote: »

You say all this like it’s a bad thing.

Populist and lacking in conviction are great traits in politicians. They represent the popular will or the people not their own authoritarian view. Save the strong conviction for campaign groups.

I’m a big fan of boring politicians, look where the American love of a ‘strong’ authority figure in charge has got them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

flatface wrote: »

Populist and lacking in conviction are great traits in politicians. They represent the popular will or the people not their own authoritarian view. Save the strong conviction for campaign groups.

I’m a big fan of boring politicians, look where the American love of a ‘strong’ authority figure in charge has got them.

I think if they follow, "what's the best deal for the tax payer?" in all things, they'll not go far wrong. Too often they follow the myth that the more wealth the top tier earn the better it is for everyone, which is never the case.

flatface wrote: »

Problem with these ‘populists’ is they love spending everyone else’s money.

I’m a big fan of ‘you work hard ,you get paid well’

You support those who genuinely need help, but you don’t work to support scrotes and chancers.

Problem with these ‘populists’ is they love spending everyone else’s money.

I’m a big fan of ‘you work hard ,you get paid well’

You support those who genuinely need help, but you don’t work to support scrotes and chancers.

What? The government are supporting 'scotes and chancers'? That's terrible, they have to go!

What? The government are supporting 'scotes and chancers'? That's terrible, they have to go!

Like the middle east gig promoter one man company got 14 mill for ordering not fit for purpose medical equipment from China :rolleyes:

Like the middle east gig promoter one man company got 14 mill for ordering not fit for purpose medical equipment from China :rolleyes:

There's good 'scotes and chancers' and there's bad 'scotes and chancers' James! :)

There's good 'scotes and chancers' and there's bad 'scotes and chancers' James! :)

Nah Francie.... there’s only scrotes and chancers.

Cullinane backpedaling on the Derry funeral...... O’hEadhra didn’t press too hard.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I can’t sleep worrying about those issues.

I lie awake at night counting versions of the draft document trying to figure out which version Harris had that Leo didn't and which version that Harris didn't have that Leo gave to O'Tuathail and why it is so important to figure out.

You would think that we only had little things to worry about.

The main thing is the fact that Leo Varadkar slipped a confidential negotiation document between the government and a union to his pal, the head of a rival union.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I lie awake at night counting versions of the draft document trying to figure out which version Harris had that Leo didn't and which version that Harris didn't have that Leo gave to O'Tuathail and why it is so important to figure out.

You would think that we only had little things to worry about.

Good leaking and bad leaking...so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So it looks like this story is far from over.

Harris has given a statement and Gardai will be speaking with Varadkar in the coming days/weeks. Excellent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement