Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Can see unions refusing to deal with the government if this isn't shown to be punished, Harris and Varadkar heading for the back benches with Josepha holding court till they can return,

They better not trip, fall and injure themselves on their way to the back benches while that ambulance chaser is still in their company.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It means not to be shared with your mates. It was so confidential that the Health minister was turned down when he requested a copy.

And again, do you think that some clerical officer in the Department of health can decide that something is confidential and keep it from the Taoiseach?

Can see unions refusing to deal with the government if this isn't shown to be punished, Harris and Varadkar heading for the back benches with Josepha holding court till they can return,

Very funny indeed, the hyperbole goes on and on.

Unions are dealing with the government, just look at the teacher unions walking in and out of discussions on the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭golfball37

The defence has now moved onto he broke no law. Whether he did or not what he did was unacceptable for the Taoiseach at the time and his explanation in the dail was full of inaccuracies. The latter would only pertain if he knew himself he was wrong.
    I can’t understand how people defend him or blame it on shinners. Only one person is responsible for this mess and that Leo. One person is more responsible than anyone else too for the shinners being electable- also Leo.
    Defending him at all costs whilst shouting about Shinners is laughable, his behavior and now existence almost is why the shinners are strong.
    FG people cannot see the big picture, they’ve always been about short termism. A phyric victory on this issue will damage them long term, the fight and defence of this damaged person is already doing it.

Why did he apologise if nothing 'wrong' was done?
    The Gardai are investigating we will see if they agree with Leo and it was 'wrong'.

There will be 'radio' silence on this until they pass judgement. Which is normal.

You are the one who said that if there was nothing illegal, there was nothing wrong.

When the garda investigation concludes with such a finding, are you ready to exonerate Leo from on high?

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »
    The defence has now moved onto he broke no law. Whether he did or not what he did was unacceptable for the Taoiseach at the time and his explanation in the dail was full of inaccuracies. The latter would only pertain if he knew himself he was wrong.
    I can’t understand how people defend him or blame it on shinners. Only one person is responsible for this mess and that Leo. One person is more responsible than anyone else too for the shinners being electable- also Leo.
    Defending him at all costs whilst shouting about Shinners is laughable, his behavior and now existence almost is why the shinners are strong.
    FG people cannot see the big picture, they’ve always been about short termism. A phyric victory on this issue will damage them long term, the fight and defence of this damaged person is already doing it.

Three months ago, those against him were saying that....If he didn't contravene the legislation then it WASN'T wrong. So how could people be moving to it now?

If he didn't contravene the legislation then it WASN'T wrong.

The leading prosecutor has said that if he didn't contravene the legislation, then it wasn't wrong.

blanch152 wrote: »
    And again, do you think that some clerical officer in the Department of health can decide that something is confidential and keep it from the Taoiseach?

Looks like they should have in this case....he cant be trusted with any confidential documents in future imo

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You are the one who said that if there was nothing illegal, there was nothing wrong.

When the garda investigation concludes with such a finding, are you ready to exonerate Leo from on high?

Leo has already confessed to wrongdoing blanch...did you miss that?

I asked the question: If he didn't contravene the legislation why did he confess to doing wrong?

The Gardai will find out.

I cannot exonerate Leo if he has confessed himself...sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Are you saying it wasn't a confidential document?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd say that the parties negotiating would decide that it is confidential and for the eyes of those negotiating only. Where did Leo get his copy? His office didn't make a request for it, and he didn't get it from Simon Harris, who had been turned down in his request for a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I'd say that the parties negotiating would decide that it is confidential and for the eyes of those negotiating only. Where did Leo get his copy? His office didn't make a request for it, and he didn't get it from Simon Harris, who had been turned down in his request for a copy.

Oh yeah, because the Taoiseach wouldn't have access to whatever piece of government business he wanted?

This is getting comical.

The next thing some Civi in the department of health is going to get dragged down to Pearse st and locked in an interview room for 6 hours.... ?

Utterly witless. Talk about grasping at straws.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Oh yeah, because the Taoiseach wouldn't have access to whatever piece of government business he wanted?

This is getting comical.

The next thing some Civi in the department of health is going to get dragged down to Pearse st and locked in an interview room for 6 hours.... ?

Literally no-one has said that, they were asking about the lack of paperwork/records of Leo formally requesting same.

This doesn't need to be as difficult as you want to try and make it you know.

This is getting comical.

It is comical really. Here is the private sector equivalent

Micheal O'Leary: Give me the passenger number details for yesterday
    Ryanair Clerical Officer: Sorry, no can do, they are marked confidential.
    Michael O'Leary: Say what?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Literally no-one has said that, they were asking about the lack of paperwork/records of Leo formally requesting same.

This doesn't need to be as difficult as you want to try and make it you know.

We're arresting civil servants for bad office etiquette now?

How embarrassing.

How embarrassing.

Can you quote in the thread who said that too?

It's easier to argue against some made up, spur of the moment BS - than the actual points in the thread I suppose.

How embarrassing.

Yeah, don't you know that the real reason there is criminality involved is that Leo didn't fill out paper Form S16F in triplicate with seven days notice and copy it to the correct authorising officer so therefore he wasn't entitled to the document.

It's easier to argue against some made up, spur of the moment BS - than the actual points in the thread I suppose.

Strawmanning is word your looking for

Yanno ffg are rattled,when they need to resort to it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I find it side splitting that the only people who are so adamant about this being Leo's howler are Sinn Féin supporters. Creaming themselves over a complete non story.

The Gards are just following SOP and they will send a file to the AG who will put an elastic band around it and phuck it in the corner.

Get over yourselves, it is a total non-story and only the haters are trying to escalate it.

Exactly, been packing their panties in panic when Meehawl scuppered their months of bile pumping exercise after withdrawing from the WH trip.

RTE and the media incandescent with the loss of at least 45to 55huge lucrative jollies.

No wonder they rounded on the Govt .lashing around them in rage.

#cleankoround1

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Objectively look at the scenario and put whatever FG v SF notion you have to the side. It is is a huge problem in Irish politics that people cannot put alliances to the side and support at all costs. It's is very petty and immature actually and doesn't reflect well on the nation.

Do you agree what Varadkar did was wholly and inconceivably wrong?

Its an invention for the most part. FG or FF mess up, they spin it as a biased shinner attack. Of course it consists of opposition but it also includes unhappy FF and FG voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah, don't you know that the real reason there is criminality involved is that Leo didn't fill out paper Form S16F in triplicate with seven days notice and copy it to the correct authorising officer so therefore he wasn't entitled to the document.

His office didn't fill out any paperwork at all. So where did he get the report from, it wasn't from Simon's office as he claimed.

• Advertisement

Sloppy Stuff.

I would say his executive will have to be reassigned.

He snook it to a pal. A confidential negotiation document between the government and a union. He passed it to a pal, the then head of a rival union so he could get them on side for votes.
    Trying to make it sound like he simply didn't follow some clerical imaginings is a lie.

I am struggling to find anything to argue about here to be honest.

He snook it to a pal. A confidential negotiation document between the government and a union. He passed it to a pal, the then head of a rival union so he could get them on side for votes.
    Trying to make it sound like he simply didn't follow some clerical imaginings is a lie.

have to laugh really.....if it wasnt confidential,why was donnolly looking for it a fortnight later

Why was it sent to his mates house and not the nagp HQ across the road from leinster house?

Whole thing looks extremtly dodgy as fcuk

,trying to.claim it as a cerical error is the usual government tactic of blame someone else,once their lies and bullshyte runs out of road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This is getting comical.

So why did he apologise?

I can tell the other thing that will happen now, is that some busy Gard is going to be assigned to look into the affairs of that complete nobody who brought this non story to light last year? Not for whistleblowing necessarily, there is no law against that.

But I would be worried about the way he persisted in pretending that he was stringing a story along, whilst trying to keep his no story going. Releasing Tweets during Leo's Public Witch Trial and generally being a pain in the bollocks.

I guarantee you some ambitious cop is going to get around to picking something illegal up there... and riding that whistleblower up the hole with it, only a matter of time.

It is the biggest tragedy in the entire story for me. That dude sacrificed an entire business and career in health service Human Resources, in exchange for a few slaps on the back and winks and nudges from a gang of witless flutes who don't even care about him? Very very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The first clue is nonsense, because I have seen thousands of documents with CONFIDENTIAL emblazoned across each page, very easy to watermark using Microsoft Word. Nothing illegal in that.

What does the confidentiality of that document mean in a legal context?
    Hi Blanch you never answered my question about why you described Varadkar as being from what you called a 'traditional' family when we were discussing Varadkar's homophobia.

Was it a racist dogwhistle or is there some other context?

Hi Blanch you never answered my question about why you described Varadkar as being from what you called a 'traditional' family when we were discussing Varadkar's homophobia.

Some other context, based on personal knowledge of the family, that I am not willing to disclose here.

It is comical really. Here is the private sector equivalent

Micheal O'Leary: Give me the passenger number details for yesterday
    Ryanair Clerical Officer: Sorry, no can do, they are marked confidential.
    Michael O'Leary: Say what?

That is baloney though. LV isn't the CEO or founder of the Irish state and its not fully an entity run by private companies yet.
    Your comment here is desperate spin and embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Tripped up on stereotyping to cover for Leo basically.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement