Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    He put out a video so its all on him then rather than the Minister for Health that would have actually brought it to cabinet?

I get the impression sometimes that people on here think we have a one man Government and all decisions are made by Varadkar.

Obsessed.

He must be doing something right to really upset the SF supporters so much.

They literally spend their days hating on him every minute.

I find it amusing, sure he does too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Obsessed.

Yeah if only the general population wasn't dying en masse as a result of his decision making I might find it amusing also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Obsessed.

It's literally a Varadkar thread. But you go on about the shinners, who's obsessed?
    The fact that you imagine it's all SF supporters says a lot about your thinking. It's almost as if he's not a langer putting his foot in his mouth and making a gilly of himself on an almost daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Vradakar has minions to read tweet replies,so those things he tweets,he probably doesnt even bother with most replies or see them at all
    Its the same in all governments
    This story hasnt changed has it since I was last here,I still expect it to have its life support turned off when theres no official secrets act charges brought
    My opinion on it hasnt changed,it should have been saved for the next election for max effect
    Utterly maddening opposition incompetence IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nobotty wrote: »
    Vradakar has minions to read tweet replies,so those things he tweets,he probably doesnt even bother with most replies or see them at all
    This story hasnt changed has it since I was last here,I still expect it to have its life support turned off when theres no official secrets act charges brought
    My opinion on it hasnt changed,it should have been saved for the next election for max effect

The village magazine, and the whistleblower Chay Bowes aren't members of the opposition though. They broke the story, not an opposition party.

I do agree though, releasing that stuff during an election campaign would've been Sean Gallagher tweet stuff alright.

And welcome back btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Would you not be better placed directing that worry at the Minister for Health, and maybe the Taoiseach as well, rather than the Minister for Jobs? Not sure why you would see Varadkar as the champion of that decision when he wouldn't have been the one making it.

You mean Fianna Fail, sure Leo is Taoiseach in all but name.

Has Simon Harris realised he's not minister for health anymore. There was 6 months there where he spoke more about the pandemic than higher education.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Obsessed.

It is a mad obsession, sure people thought he’d be doing jail time after this story broke. We had posters adopting usernames linked to him, we had others parroting Holohan, others referencing that racist unionist, the obsession runs very deep among posters on here.

At best, it is unhealthy, at worst it is coming from deep nasty prejudices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is a mad obsession, sure people thought he’d be doing jail time after this story broke. We had posters adopting usernames linked to him, we had others parroting Holohan, others referencing that racist unionist, the obsession runs very deep among posters on here.

Quotes?
    Are you just making up stuff full time now? Sign of a poor argument when you need invent stuff.
    Was Varadkar's party making pals with a racist unionist, while he was using race to score points, much like yourself.
    Finish with using minorities to try silence pointed criticism...classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

others referencing that racist unionist

I'm not sure what that reference relates to, but Leo is obviously leading the pro union (reunion) party, from John Bruton's greatest moment of his life meeting Charlie and telling Charlie that he represented everything we aspire to, to Richmond wanting to rejoin the commonwealth, to Flanagan's commemoration of the black and tans.

That would have been clever.

This will peter out when the Gardai announce no crime and no charges. In an election campaign, the opposition could have thrown the mud and there wouldn't have been time to clear things up.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

This will peter out when the Gardai announce no crime and no charges. In an election campaign, the opposition could have thrown the mud and there wouldn't have been time to clear things up.

The Mud has stuck, the nation are aware that the leader of the country leaked a confidental document to some chap he met once or twice but not friend and the rest of the Govt decided this was ok.

Leo won't be getting elected again anyway so the damage is done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Speaking of racism will you ever explain why you described Varadkar's family as 'very traditional' when excusing Varadkar's opposition to equal rights for homosexuals?

Speaking of racism will you ever explain why you described Varadkar's family as 'very traditional' when excusing Varadkar's opposition to equal rights for homosexuals?

The reference was clear and needed no further explanation.

The Mud has stuck, the nation are aware that the leader of the country leaked a confidental document to some chap he met once or twice but not friend and the rest of the Govt decided this was ok.

If you think that issue is serious enough to have an effect on the next election in four years time, you need to look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Oh,I'd expect Vradakar wont be losing his seat
    The people most exercised by this arent Fine Gael voters
    9 months of chaotic government and FG are still circa 30% in the polls,a whole 6 points above their GE performance
    And do you know the reason for that? Centre right voters only have one home in Ireland and theres a lot of them
    That home isnt Sinn Féin
    The cold hard reality is,they're more likely to be in the next govermnent than not and possibly with SF IMO
    The mad thing about that is,a whole lot of people on here will need a whole new narrative(including Blanch) when that happens and I'm convinced it will

9 months of chaotic government and FG are still circa 30% in the polls,a whole 6 points above their GE performance
    And do you know the reason for that? Centre right voters only have one home in Ireland and theres a lot of them
    That home isnt Sinn Féin
    The cold hard reality is,they're more likely to be in the next govermnent than not and possibly with SF IMO
    The mad thing about that is,a whole lot of people on here will need a whole new narrative(including Blanch) when that happens and I'm convinced it will

I would be amazed if FG ever went in with SF.

The next government is either FF/SF or the current government returned in a similar fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

That home isnt Sinn Féin

There will be some sort of agreement between FF and FG where one won't run a candidate where the sitting FF/FG TD is shaky, Varadkar was 5th or 6th count the last time , next time they'll be no other centre right candidates running against him

There will be some sort of agreement between FF and FG where one won't run a candidate where the sitting FF/FG TD is shaky, Varadkar was 5th or 6th count the last time , next time they'll be no other centre right candidates running against him

Really?

Do you know anything about Dublin West?

Three government TDs, Chambers, O'Gorman and Varadkar. And a Shinner.

It is not likely to change next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Dublin West is an interesting constituency. Out of the 4 sitting TD's you are probably looking a Donnelly and Varadkar being elected and the other 2 seats will be up for grabs. Chambers and O'Gorman are the holders of the remaining 2 seats you would have to say that O'Gorman is going to lose his seat and depending on what happens to FF on whether Chambers will keep his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Pretty bizzare statement. There is no risk of him losing that seat.

He was only 250 off quota last time around with a running mate. If they had any concerns at all they would simply drop the running mate in the constituency, have him claim all the FG vote, and have him clear quota in the first count.

There's a better chance of Martians landing in Finglas than FG not having a seat in Dublin West.

• Advertisement

He won't be re-elected as he either

A. Won't Run
    B. Already be off to the EU

Floppybits wrote: »
    Dublin West is an interesting constituency. Out of the 4 sitting TD's you are probably looking a Donnelly and Varadkar being elected and the other 2 seats will be up for grabs. Chambers and O'Gorman are the holders of the remaining 2 seats you would have to say that O'Gorman is going to lose his seat and depending on what happens to FF on whether Chambers will keep his.

There has been a lot of annoyance locally about the way O'Gorman has been treated. Wouldn't write him off.

There has been a lot of annoyance locally about the way O'Gorman has been treated. Wouldn't write him off.

Alot of anger about his handling of the mother and baby homes scandal aswell

That wont ever be forgot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

He won't be re-elected as he either

A. Won't Run
    B. Already be off to the EU

Not being able to hold his water will be a disadvantage in him getting an EU position now and the EU are still sore about him not backing Hogan, Makey up position in America or Brian Hayes job

That wont ever be forgot

Tbf ogorman has been left carry the can,to coverup decades of ffg "families" involvement in mother and baby homes

The implication of the rush to destroy records,isnt lost on anyone,everyone knows,whats gone on here.....they play dumb and deny everything,noone is buying it though

That wont ever be forgot

He isn't running for national election, he is running in the Dublin West constituency where an awful lot of people are annoyed at the way he has been targetted not just for the M&B issue, but also the homophobic attacks on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Floppybits wrote: »

It sure is an interesting constituency, with fairly extreme demography, very difficult to see Varadkar, Chambers & O'Gorman all holding their seats, Sinn Fein would almost certainly have taken a second seat in 2020 if they had a second strategically located credible candidate. Varadkar is the safest of the 3 at risk, so I'd be expecting one of Chambers & O'Gorman to lose out, they were both elected on the last count in 2020, O'Gorman without reaching the quota, Chambers was always going to get there last time round and would be favourite to do so again.

A week is a long time in politics but as things stand now 1 FG, 1 SF, 1 FF, and 1 from Sinn Fein/Greens/PBP/Labour and the SDs might even be in with a shout.

Edit: When I think about it again I think Chambers is in serious trouble here, where is he going to be getting his vote from, FG won't have enough transfers to bring him in and he won't be picking up transfers from anybody else obviously. So 1 FG, 1 SF, and 2 from Sinn Fein/Greens/PBP/Labour/SD/FF.

He isn't running for national election, he is running in the Dublin West constituency where an awful lot of people are annoyed at the way he has been targetted not just for the M&B issue, but also the homophobic attacks on social media.

Hahaha you keep bringing up these fantasy homophobic attacks. Nobody cares who he has sex with, its his actions they have issues with unless the people of Dublin West like our Ministers doing what they like when they like

Hahaha you keep bringing up these fantasy homophobic attacks. Nobody cares who he has sex with, its his actions they have issues with unless the people of Dublin West like our Ministers doing what they like when they like

Nothing fantasy about it.

https://gcn.ie/gay-minister-children-roderic-ogorman-homophobia/

"On Sunday, Fathers Rights Ireland – a group for single fathers – posted a picture on their Facebook page of the moment when O’Gorman was elected and kissed his male partner. It was accompanied by the statement, “The new minister for children Roderic O’Gorman.

Homophobic comments doubting his abilities for the role were posted underneath, and were subsequently ‘liked’ by Fathers Rights Ireland. A user also posted a photo of the previous Minister for Children, Katherine Zappone, with her late wife Ann Louise Gilligan, implying that LGBT+ people are unsuitable for the role.

Fathers Rights Ireland founder, Joseph Egan, apologised for the homophobic comments, but did not address the fact the post was only removed from their page on Wednesday. Egan stated, “Unfortunately, when you deal with people who are in a crisis situation they tend to lash out and I think that’s what has happened here."

Denying the existence of homophobic attacks on politicians is another shameful attempt to downplay the reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That would have been typical power swap sleeveen politics though.

The issue was current and needed dealing with, with Brexit ongoing the lord only knows what this guy would have thought was 'for the good of the country' and gone and done. He needed curtailing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement