Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

He's being inappropriate again. He shouldn't be talking about an ongoing case in such a manner. "Believes it will be thrown out"....is that an instruction for one of his installed judges?

https://twitter.com/Elaine_Loughlin/status/1367187070079406081?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Here he is talking out of school again dismissing a coalition party member exercising his rights.
    He's always got to be seen and heard. He behaves like a bratty child.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Here he is talking out of school again dismissing a coalition party member exercising his rights.

Is he not entitled to give his views on issues?

Or is he like the Army Council...... pulling the strings but not seen or heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

markodaly wrote: »
    Imagine having the need to have a Leo thread. Wasnt that what the FG thread was about?

Lads, its ok to be obsessed, but I always question the motivation behind it.

Just having a look at the front page of the forum, there's the need for a Gordon Elliott thread, a Joe Biden thread, Greta Thunberg thread, Dee Forbes thread, Donald Trump and a Sil Fox, Gemma O'Doherty and Maria Bailey thread.

This is the current affairs forum, people say and do things that warrant discussion, hence the dedicated threads.

I'm not the op of the thread, but the man leaked confidential information to a 3rd party while serving as Taoiseach, was caught, supposedly subject to a Garda criminal investigation.

Quite frankly I'd find it bizzare if that series of events wasn't being discussed In a current affair forum.

Is he not entitled to give his views on issues?

Or is he like the Army Council...... pulling the strings but not seen or heard?

No. He shouldn't be commenting on ongoing court cases but then again I suppose he never did know proper legal protocol and is a liability. Really should have been made step aside but then again it's FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,503 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Whether he is right or wrong to voice an opinion here is debatable

One thing is correct: This Green TD is some messer.....attention seeking messer!

The party seems to attract these pretentious know-alls.

Imagine having the likes of Costello on your team....do yeh more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

McMurphy wrote: »
    Quite frankly I'd find it bizzare if that series of events wasn't being discussed In a current affair forum.

It seems to be the way on these discussion threads that the people supporting said person or the party look to shut down the threads. You can see it in each of the threads the same trend over and over again. It starts with nothing to see here, then we get no one is interested, then you get the arguments like when Iis confidential really confidential, then you get the changing of the story they didn't say that or that's not what they meant and it's only political point scoring, etc etc. I haven't even mentioned the hypocrisy when asked the question on here if this was done by a Taoiseach from the opposition would those same people be waving it off and simple yes or no and we got those posters jumping through hoops so they didn't have to answer the questions. You would wonder are they party zealots or are they being paid to do this?

Floppybits wrote: »
    It seems to be the way on these discussion threads that the people supporting said person or the party look to shut down the threads. You can see it in each of the threads the same trend over and over again. It starts with nothing to see here, then we get no one is interested, then you get the arguments like when Iis confidential really confidential, then you get the changing of the story they didn't say that or that's not what they meant and it's only political point scoring, etc etc. I haven't even mentioned the hypocrisy when asked the question on here if this was done by a Taoiseach from the opposition would those same people be waving it off and simple yes or no and we got those posters jumping through hoops so they didn't have to answer the questions. You would wonder are they party zealots or are they being paid to do this?

Couldn't agree more floppy, I thought Vicki Pollard had registered on the site with all the yeah-but-no-but-yeahs that was taking place in here.

Odd post. Are you only noticing the thread now?

BTW, the thread is about the story about Leo in the Village, now the subject of a Garda investigation. Will be 'current' for a while yet, so better get used to it.

When was the investigation launched?

“Gardaí regularly receive complaints alleging criminality by politicians and public officials. Most disappear because they are simply untrue, or just nonsense.
    Some do not go any further because there is zero chance of an investigation resulting in a criminal charge. Just a few go beyond the stage of preliminary inquiry. For now, the Garda inquiry into accusations against Tánaiste Leo Varadkar that he illegally leaked a confidential contract when he was taoiseach remains a preliminary inquiry.“ Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

You would wonder are they party zealots or are they being paid to do this?

I hope they are not being paid, although for perseverance they would probably be entitled to something, but it appears to me that it is emanating from Mount St, there is always one available (take it in turns?), and it is the same inane repetitive drivel style from all of them, bore the topic to death. I presume they or their colleagues are all over other political topics as well. It's funny but I guess it's a sign of the times we're living in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I hope they are not being paid, although for perseverance they would probably be entitled to something, but it appears to me that it is emanating from Mount St, there is always one available (take it in turns?), and it is the same inane repetitive drivel style from all of them, bore the topic to death. I presume they or their colleagues are all over other political topics as well. It's funny but I guess it's a sign of the times we're living in.

You noticed that as well? You can see who has the early shift and then around lunchtime you notice that they ease out and another takes up the the running and the baton gets passed and yes it is the same drivel, as you say, that is repeated over and over again.

I know there are people out there that put the party above all else but what you see on here you would have to question that and that is why I said maybe they are being paid because some of the stuff you see on here would make you think they have to be paid to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

When was the investigation launched?

“Gardaí regularly receive complaints alleging criminality by politicians and public officials. Most disappear because they are simply untrue, or just nonsense.
    Some do not go any further because there is zero chance of an investigation resulting in a criminal charge. Just a few go beyond the stage of preliminary inquiry. For now, the Garda inquiry into accusations against Tánaiste Leo Varadkar that he illegally leaked a confidential contract when he was taoiseach remains a preliminary inquiry.“ Irish Times.

The answer you are looking for is in your own post Maryanne...I highlighted it for you

The answer you are looking for is in your own post Maryanne...I highlighted it for you

A preliminary inquiry isn’t a full blown investigation. The Gardai haven’t yet decided if there’s anything to investigate.

A preliminary inquiry isn’t a full blown investigation. The Gardai haven’t yet decided if there’s anything to investigate.

Definition of inquiry
    1: a request for information
    2: a systematic investigation often of a matter of public interest
    3: examination into facts or principles : RESEARCH

From that we can conclude the following:

Definition of a preliminary inquiry;
    1: a preliminary request for information
    2: a systematic preliminary investigation often of a matter of public interest
    3: preliminary examination into facts or principles : RESEARCH

Anything else to say Maryanne?

Definition of inquiry
    1: a request for information
    2: a systematic investigation often of a matter of public interest
    3: examination into facts or principles : RESEARCH

From that we can conclude the following:

Definition of a preliminary inquiry;
    1: a preliminary request for information
    2: a systematic preliminary investigation often of a matter of public interest
    3: preliminary examination into facts or principles : RESEARCH

Anything else to say Maryanne?

Fact remains that there’s no investigation been launched. I know that you’re unhappy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That doesn't mention the word investigation. The Gardai only launch an investigation when it has been confirmed that a crime has been committed.

From all I have read, the gardai are making preliminary inquiries as to whether a crime has been committed and that they need to complete these inquiries before deciding whether to launch an investigation. The gardai are required to make these preliminary inquiries once a complaint has been made, whether or not the complaint is frivilous or malicious.

You have been over-hyping this issue since the start.

Fact remains that there’s no investigation been launched. I know that you’re unhappy with that.

He is being 'investigated' whether that be a preliminary investigation or a full blown one..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

blanch152 wrote: »
    That doesn't mention the word investigation. The Gardai only launch an investigation when it has been confirmed that a crime has been committed.

From all I have read, the gardai are making preliminary inquiries as to whether a crime has been committed and that they need to complete these inquiries before deciding whether to launch an investigation. The gardai are required to make these preliminary inquiries once a complaint has been made, whether or not the complaint is frivilous or malicious.

Nothing new there Mr B.

Some of the posting is way off the mark.

Not surprised that somebody who routinely convicts on foot of an investigation/allegation would be off that opinion.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You noticed that as well? You can see who has the early shift and then around lunchtime you notice that they ease out and another takes up the the running and the baton gets passed and yes it is the same drivel, as you say, that is repeated over and over again.

I know there are people out there that put the party above all else but what you see on here you would have to question that and that is why I said maybe they are being paid because some of the stuff you see on here would make you think they have to be paid to say that.

Stick to the topic, which is not other users

• Advertisement

Can Varadkar be taken seriously at all while he is under criminal investigation? Law adherence and appropriate behavior is not he forte

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1367404401942536192?s=19

walshb wrote: »
    Whether he is right or wrong to voice an opinion here is debatable

One thing is correct: This Green TD is some messer.....attention seeking messer!

The party seems to attract these pretentious know-alls.

Imagine having the likes of Costello on your team....do yeh more harm than good.

I don't even know what Costello you are talking about. Labour? I've not been a card carrying, (still have the card mind) member of Labour in many years.
    I don't see the relevance other than deflection and whatabout. We've actually got a regular crew take turns coming into this thread to try shut down talk of Varadkar in his own thread. You seem to be doing same.
    The Green might be an attention seeker or a know-it-all, but that's irrelevant to him seeking a legal decision on policy affects the country. Whatever about you speaking out on such things the leader of Fine Gael, in coalition with the Greens, should not, but can't help himself, be getting all mouthy about the man doing something he's allowed do.

So the 'nothing to see here' has found new depths. We've literally covered every angle on why we should ignore, dismiss or forget Leo Varadkar leaked a confidential negotiation document between the Dept. of Health and the IMO, to his pal, the then head of a rival union.
    Varadkar is known to the Garda and there is an investigation on going. The results of which will not change the fact that Leo Varadkar leaked a confidential negotiation document between the Dept. of Health and the IMO, to his pal, the then head of a rival union.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

SF will have to come to the realization at some point that FG voters care as much about Varadkar's dealings with general practitioners as SF voters care about the Republican terrorism links.

smurgen wrote: »
    Can Varadkar be taken seriously at all while he is under criminal investigation? Law adherence and appropriate behavior is not he forte

What criminal investigation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I think Leo is great. It is very disappointing that the topic was opened in the first place, that it has lasted over 4 months, and seeing people here being critical of him, suggesting that he leaked a document marked CONFIDENTIAL to zerocraic when he obviously didn’t, suggesting that he (should) apologise(d) to the Dail for leaking a document marked CONFIDENTIAL to zerocraic when he obviously didn’t (why would he apologise to the Dail for something he didn’t do – never happened), and now this – suggesting that he is being investigated by the Gardai. Very very sad. I love Leo.
    #ILoveLeo #LeonottheLeak #Leoloadsacraic #PopeLeoXIV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

The Gardaí are investigating a complaint
    There is NO criminal investigation
    Theres irony here given your misleading statement!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

markodaly wrote: »
    Imagine having the need to have a Leo thread. Wasnt that what the FG thread was about?

Lads, its ok to be obsessed, but I always question the motivation behind it.
    If you don't want to discuss Leo stay out of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You post a lie in the same post that you wonder whether a politician can be trusted to tell the truth!!!!

Can you see the irony?

• Advertisement

Nobotty wrote: »
    The Gardaí are investigating a complaint
    There is NO criminal investigation
    Theres irony here given your misleading statement!

Depends where you get your news from I suppose.
    McMurphy wrote: »
    I don't know if it's already been mentioned on here, or has been overlooked.

Debbie McCann of the MOS stated in her article that Leo was under a criminal investigation, not a preliminary investigation. I think the mirror reported similar though I'd have to go back and check.

Apparently she's got very good sources within AGS, not sure off the veracity of that claim, but thought it worth pointing out regardless.

Time will tell.

IMG-20210216-102223.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement