Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nobotty wrote: »
    As said to you last night,a persons right to their good name isnt so brittle that someone who actually isnt au fait with the status of a document can have it removed simply by that someone claiming it was still subject to the official secrets act

The veracity has to be established first
    No official secret,No crime
    As the document already left the cabinet and was being circulated among private citizens,I expect thats that
    No amount of wishfull thinking will change it
    Gardaí have to investigate every complaint reported to them,however frivolous

:confused: his 'good name' in respect of what happened here is gone when he confessed to wrongdoing after being exposed in the media.

And no, I am not interested in your take of he law, that's in the Gardai's hands now.

So guilty untill proven innocent,I see
    Have you moved to North Korea?

Clutching at straws now Nobotty.

The complainants claims of guilt and Leo's claims of innocence will be ignored in a dispassionate inquiry into what happened. That's what happens when you are investigated or supposed to anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

As said to you last night,a persons right to their good name isnt so brittle that someone who actually isnt au fait with the status of a document can have it removed simply by that someone claiming it was still subject to the official secrets act

The veracity has to be established first
    No official secret,No crime
    As the document already left the cabinet and was being circulated among private citizens,I expect thats that
    No amount of wishfull thinking will change it
    Gardaí have to investigate every complaint reported to them,however frivolous

Just to echo Francie here, his good name, certainly with regards passing confidential information to his pal is absolutely no longer a question.

Unless I was imagining him admitting, and apologising for doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sigh>
    The gardai are investigating if a crime has been committed i.e. a criminal investigation - which may or may not find evidence of criminality on two counts and which may or may not lead to the Tanaiste going to jail.
    All true - all factual.

Investigating if a crime has been committed is NOT a criminal investigation, it is routine preliminary enquiries.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Incorrect. It's a preliminary investigation. If the Gardai feel there could be a crime committed then it will proceed to a formal criminal investigation.

Some posters clearly do not understand the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

:confused: his 'good name' in respect of what happened here is gone when he confessed to wrongdoing after being exposed in the media.

And no, I am not interested in your take of he law, that's in the Gardai's hands now.

He may have no name for not leaking stuff but you know thats not what Im talking about
    Im thinking at this stage theres an episode of Louis Theroux to be made in these threads
    Ler me know when its on and I'll record it

He may have no name for not leaking stuff but you know thats not what Im talking about
    Im thinking at this stage theres an episode of Louis Theroux to be made in these threads
    Ler me know when its on and I'll record it

You arrived back on these threads, highly critical of the entrenched opinions here. Here you are entrenched in trying to keep the words 'criminal and Varadkar' out of the same sentence. :)

It's a criminal investigation Nobotty, be it preliminary or formal. Nobody has suggested Leo has been found to be a criminal..yet.

Relax.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Investigating if a crime has been committed is NOT a criminal investigation, it is routine preliminary enquiries.

Can you not see the problem,some posters here have with what Leo did?
    With FF and FG,they see a never ending whiff of cronyism which handing documents or giving information to your friend privately is easily a possible example?
    Its not much of an extention of that to be hoping for 'criminal investigations'
    In my view if it came to that vradakar would need to step aside and it would be doubtfull he'd be stepping back

The problem for his haters is,his base I expect have accepted him which is why his party are up on their GE performance and thats infuriating

You arrived back on these threads, highly critical of the entrenched opinions here. Here you are entrenched in trying to keep the words 'criminal and Varadkar' out of the same sentence. :)

It's a criminal investigation Nobotty, be it preliminary or formal. Nobody has suggested Leo has been found to be a criminal..yet.

Relax.

In all fairness now,Id do the same for anyone
    Its not an entrenched position,its reality and thats one thing youll always hear from me
    Theres absolutely nothing entrenching about the truth and reality
    Its often uncomfortable
    And No ,there is NO criminal investigation unless the document is found to have been covered by the official secrets act
    All points to it not being as it was already released to private citizens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

markodaly wrote: »
    You are welcome.

There are plenty more 'predictions' from months back as well, none of which have come to pass.

They are not predictions. They are not claims.
    One states there's a potential for jail time based on what he did. The other believes they should receive jail time.

These are not:
    Many a regular poster had grand claims on what would happen to Leo, from being sent to jail to being sacked, to be out on his ear within the week the story broke.

In short complete baloney and spin from youse.

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    Am I wrong? Releasing this story the week of the US presidential election? Amateur stuff, but anyway.

The only people who care about this are some people on Twitter, some people on boards and other forums and The Village Magazine.

Granted it made the news when it was revealed that the Gardai were making preliminary enquires, as it's their job to do. But this story is done unless some other major revelation is brought to bare, which is not at all likely.

Who do you think are on Twitter? I see everyday folk, celebrities, politicians, companies, groups, state boards etc.

If it was held onto for a more opportune time would that be fair and unbiased reporting? Not every publication has the character of the folk shill for FF/FG.
    The FF/FG/Greens should care about this. Stating they don't care just bolsters their shame.

I would guess folk are waiting on any findings from the Garda.
    Facts are he did wrong and wasn't held accountable and was supported by FF/FG/Green. What ever reputations they had have been further damaged.

There isnt a hope in hell of that as he's negotiated 2 more years as Taoiseach for himself
    2 years when the population will be fully vaccinated and Id expect our economy and the worlds to be roaring forward
    To paraphrase haugheys description of Ahern 'the cleverest politician of them all'
    Sinn Féin know this which is why their strategy is virulent towards him in particular as evidenced also by their more prominent supporters typical postings here
    Whats super annoying is,he went into this declaring to be earlier happy to 'relish' going into opposition but instead 'stumbled' back into power and doubtless will express the same again in 2 years
    Nothing goes on forever,there is that

It is my opinion and it is past tense because the opportunity for FF/FG/Green to show any standards has past.
    Will this be recollected as my claiming he'd be sacked?

Varadkar is an opportunist. He doesn't have half the wit I'd attribute to the like of Haughey or Ahern.

SF again, (Obsessed?)? Whatever about SF, you suggest absolutely nobody in public or private life have any real issue with what Varadkar did. That's at best wishful thinking or pure spin designed to dismiss any due criticism.

In all fairness now,Id do the same for anyone
    Its not an entrenched position,its reality and thats one thing youll always hear from me
    Theres absolutely nothing entrenching about the truth and reality
    Its often uncomfortable
    And No ,there is NO criminal investigation unless the document is found to have been covered by the official secrets act
    All points to it not being as it was already released to private citizens

Again you ignore the corruption complaint which is over and above the OSA.

You are trying too hard Nobotty

Can you not see the problem,some posters here have with what Leo did?
    With FF and FG,they see a never ending whiff of cronyism which handing documents or giving information to your friend privately is easily a possible example?
    Its not much of an extention of that to be hoping for 'criminal investigations'
    In my view if it came to that vradakar would need to step aside and it would be doubtfull he'd be stepping back

The problem for his haters is,his base I expect have accepted him which is why his party are up on their GE performance and thats infuriating

The document wasn't confidential, wasn't covered by the OSA.

I have previously given the example whereby the Government enters pay negotiations with ICTU. PDFORRA and the GRA are not part of these discussions because of some recognition issues. As a result, the government shares the confidential negotiation documents with them regularly, early drafts, final drafts etc. There was a situation a couple of years back where one document got leaked to a newspaper and ICTU went mad about it leaking, blaming those outside the process. However, the reason for sharing the document with PDFORRA is the same one as the reason for sharing this document with O'Tuathail. It is the way that these things work and there is no cronyism or criminality involved.

The only difference is that Varadkar knew O'tuathaill and shared it through private channels and not through normal ones. He has apologised for that but there is nothing criminal or cronyism about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There isnt a hope in hell of that as he's negotiated 2 more years as Taoiseach for himself
    2 years when the population will be fully vaccinated and Id expect our economy and the worlds to be roaring forward
    To paraphrase haugheys description of Ahern 'the cleverest politician of them all'
    Sinn Féin know this which is why their strategy is virulent towards him in particular as evidenced also by their more prominent supporters typical postings here
    Whats super annoying is,he went into this declaring to be earlier happy to 'relish' going into opposition but instead 'stumbled' back into power and doubtless will express the same again in 2 years
    Nothing goes on forever,there is that
    I'm not sure I get that point... Haughey said of Ahern that he was the mosdt devious of them all. Are you suggesting that Varadkar is the the cleverest politician of them all?

Again you ignore the corruption complaint which is over and above the OSA.

You are trying too hard Nobotty
    Unless theres something new there like an actual monetary gain,thats going nowhere either
    If you are suggesting that,youll be relying on Vradakar not sueing you because as you know allegations of that nature arent safe to make behind an internet moniker
    Veracity first
    You go to the guards who decide on the veracity
    No veracity,no criminality
    It really is that simple ,no trying hard at all :)

Unless theres something new there like an actual monetary gain,thats going nowhere either
    If you are suggesting that,youll be relying on Vradakar not sueing you because as you know allegations of that nature arent safe to make behind an internet moniker
    Veracity first

I'm not suggesting anything...it is you who are trying the case here and finding him innocent.

P.S. There does not have to be any evidence of monetary gain for it to be adjudged corrupt.

Veracity first

He passed a confidential document to a pal. That's one part. The pal was the head of a rival union. This raises issues of trust regarding negotiations with government, specifically any with Varadkar.
    The other part for me is Varadkar doing it to try get support from members of his pal's union by doing them a solid, 'Leo always comes through' or something to that effect.
    The final part is how FF/FG/Greens shrugged it off.
    I don't put much weight in the Garda investigation. It's unlikely they'll get any truth for any of those they question anyway.
    I think it was you asking why it's still being talked about? Well someone was. It's still being talked about because LV's apologists and defenders come on here all day every day spouting all kinds of nonsense.

I'm not suggesting anything...it is you who are trying the case here and finding him innocent.

P.S. There does not have to be any evidence of monetary gain for it to be adjudged corrupt.

What case?

The Gardai haven't even concluded that there is a case to investigate let alone answer.

What case?

The Gardai haven't even concluded that there is a case to investigate let alone answer.

Head. Meet brick wall. With some force. Repeatedly.

• Advertisement

What case?

Head. Meet brick wall. With some force. Repeatedly.

I see what happened here.
    Francie was saying;

Francie says here that he's not saying anything. So it's not Francie saying it at all. You with me?

He goes on to say that the other poster (Nobotty) is the one seemingly 'trying the case here'.

So when youse are asking what case, there's no case etc. youse got the wrong end of the stick and completely misunderstood Francie's comment.

Not to worry, stuff happens.

Ah we're back to North Korean justice again
    Guilty untill proved innocent and in this instance before even anything illegal has been established
    Its not the politics I advocate or aspire to
    I see (again)

Ah, the well-known kangaroo system of justice. Let the mobs with the pitchforks set the man alight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

One hand washing the other. Leaked commercially sensitive documents being given to an insider friend for him to try and commercially profit from it. Exactly the type of cronyism we have been ridden with for decades. Maybe the Competition Authority should be next in line to investigate. lets face it - they were government documents compiled using state resources that were secretly given to a friend in the business. They should be looking very closely at it and the businesses and practices of all parties concerned - as should revenue.

How many more of these insider deals have given commercial advantage to the families and friends of politicians. Corruption and cronyism and anti competitive practices at their best. there are laws against all of them.

Maybe revenue and cab should start with the self declared assets and business interests listed on that kildare street website the pretends to list all business interests by politicians and their families. CAB and revenue should definately be digging there - especially when this kind of thing is going on and everyone just shrugging their shoulders casually over it.

Ah we're back to North Korean justice again
    Guilty untill proved innocent and in this instance before even anything illegal has been established
    Its not the politics I advocate or aspire to
    I see (again)
    Ah, the well-known kangaroo system of justice. Let the mobs with the pitchforks set the man alight.

Lads, have a look at the law relating to corruption. It is exactly as I said: monetary gain does not have to proved:

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2017/122/eng/initiated/b12217d.pdf

Lads, have a look at the law relating to corruption. It is exactly as I said: monetary gain does not have to proved:

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2017/122/eng/initiated/b12217d.pdf

I think you should write mystery novels,you'd be good at it
    24 hours you're pretending now not to know the difference between investigating a complaint and investigating a crime
    Such levels of reality suspension are prerequisite

24 hours you're pretending now not to know the difference between investigating a complaint and investigating a crime

It's alleged Varadkar broke the law, committed a crime, and the Garda are investigating.
    By your understanding there'd be no such thing as a criminal investigation.
    They aren't investigating the complaint, they're investigating if a crime took place or not.

It's alleged Varadkar broke the law, committed a crime, and the Garda are investigating.
    By your understanding there'd be no such thing as a criminal investigation.
    They aren't investigating the complaint, they're investigating if a crime took place or not.

Sorry James,Thats NOT the procedure
    However much you may want it to be

24 hours ago you thought there was only one complaint. You are bandying about claims about N. Korea etc rather than accept that in order to test the veracity of the complaints the Gardai will have to review all the evidence available. That is a Criminal Investigation Unit looking into criminal behaviour.

• Advertisement

24 hours ago you thought there was only one complaint. You are bandying about claims about N. Korea etc rather than accept that in order to test the veracity of the complaints the Gardai will have to review all the evidence available. That is a Criminal Investigation Unit looking into criminal behaviour.

Yeah,I did say yesterday to you that it was hardly going to be the traffic corps involved
    None of what you're saying changes the process ie that the complaints veracity is investigated first
    No crime,no investigation of a crime
    Veracity first :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement