Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

He's the Minister for Foreign Affairs, and also Ireland currently have a seat on the UN Security Council.

It's literally his job

Fair play to him. I’m sure that he’d be happier staying home instead of putting himself through the rigours of repeated tests. Great to see some their jobs abound positions first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Not one poster here would go to Tehran for a holiday if there wasn't covid even if it was all paid for let alone go for work reasons.

Eh I have been there for holidays. It is one of the most beautiful countries in the world with some of the friendliest people

Google image Ishafan if you want see one of the most beautiful cities in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Eh I have been there for holidays. It is one of the most beautiful countries in the world with some of the friendliest people

Google image Ishafan if you want see one of the most beautiful cities in the world

The blue mosque of Isfahan is a sight to see.

I have no issue with Coveney travelling on official government business.

Those comparing it to construction don't have a clue.

Bottom of the barrel being scraped now, guy being blamed for doing his job.

And these are the people that think they will be in power.

Excuse me for laughing, folks.

#SFthepartyofnegativity.

It is absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

blanch152 wrote: »

Those comparing it to construction don't have a clue.

The common denominator of most here and anyway, why are we even discussing Coveny in this thread?

Is this the new 'I want to give out about FG' thread? Do we already have 2 of those?
    Sure, 3 times is a charm! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He's the Minister for Foreign Affairs, and also Ireland currently have a seat on the UN Security Council.

It's literally his job

More than that, Ireland has been appointed by the Security Council membership to be the Facilitator for Resolution 2231, this being the UN terms of engagement with Iran vis-a-vis the JPCOA, aka the nuclearisation accord.

A major vote of confidence in Ireland's diplomatic reputation and also an onerous task.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is absolutely pathetic.

Show one post from an Republican affiliated poster condemning Coveney?

What’s a republican affiliated poster? All I see around here are Social Democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Does Connolly House have a list?

Given the secrecy of the ‘Republican’ movement I think your request might be rather difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Does Connolly House have a list?

Given the secrecy of the ‘Republican’ movement I think your request might be rather difficult.

Well you would fall into the FG/Prone affiliation so work from that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Nobotty wrote: »
    Coveney is in Tehran I see on the six one news on UN business meeting the Ayatollah :eek:
    But Brendan,they will be in power,absolutely no doubt about it :)
    Mary Lou will be our first Female Taoiseach after the next election,we just have to get over the hump of 2 more years of Premier Vradakar up to 2025 first
    Don't shoot the messenger
    I thought from its title it was a thread about the village accusations :confused:

Indeed.
    Make an uncomfortable truth about FG about SF. Hardly new.

Is there literally anything some people don't give out about just for the sake of it?

Why a waste of energy.

They say its healthy to have SF as opposition to hold the government to account.

But all they do is argue against anything the government does just for the sake of it.

That's not constructive, it's trying to score political points at any angle even if it benefits the country.

This Simon Coveney criticism really is scraping the barrel.

Not one poster here would go to Tehran for a holiday if there wasn't covid even if it was all paid for let alone go for work reasons.

Are you assuming the poster is a shinner because it helps you to pile it on?
    Do you think nobody ever has any issues, it's all just political point scoring?
    I think it's great Coveney is reaching out by the way.

markodaly wrote: »
    The common denominator of most here and anyway, why are we even discussing Coveny in this thread?

Is this the new 'I want to give out about FG' thread? Do we already have 2 of those?
    Sure, 3 times is a charm! :pac:

Are you suggesting Nobotty is a shinner?
    I think you lads need start having an early morning Zoom call.

I'm not sure if Coveney even has an account TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Are you assuming the poster is a shinner because it helps you to pile it on?
    Do you think nobody ever has any issues, it's all just political point scoring?
    I think it's great Coveney is reaching out by the way.

Well then why don’t you just say it, and stop trying to score political points.

C’mon dude.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I thought from its title it was a thread about the village accusations :confused:
    Its the general leo thread now is it
    Explains why its busy so I suppose

No regulars here are floating FG or SF voters
    All minds are made up in this place long and ever ago
    Its all predictable tit for tat
    Good place for venting

Leo is a fairly charismatic guy with strong control of his party, which happens to be the most popular party in the country, and he is also the Tanaiste. Course he's going to be targeted.

SF meanwhile is neck-and-neck with FG in terms of popularity, with strong control of Stormont, and showing little internal division, which is why FG is constantly finding an excuse to attack them.

The actual 'topics' which prompt discussion of either parties, like this discussion of a doctors' agreement with a doctors' union, is usually not weapon grade material.

No other party need apply.

Leo is a fairly charismatic guy with strong control of his party, which happens to be the most popular party in the country, and he is also the Tanaiste. Course he's going to be targeted.

SF meanwhile is neck-and-neck with FG in terms of popularity, with strong control of Stormont, and showing little internal division, which is why FG is constantly finding an excuse to attack them.

The actual 'topics' which prompt discussion of either parties, like this discussion of a doctors' agreement with a doctors' union, is usually not weapon grade material.

No other party need apply.

And Leo passing a confidential negotiation document to his pal the head of a rival union would have nothing to do with it?

He's as charismatic as a spoiled hamster. The FG back room boys gifted him the leadership despite the membership wanting Coveney. They hitched the FG wagon to a chap prone to foot in mouth.

"SF meanwhile.." :rolleyes:
    So who's providing 'tit for tat'? Might it be folk raising SF in a Varadker/leak thread?

Leo keeps providing things to be critical of.

And Leo passing a confidential negotiation document to his pal the head of a rival union would have nothing to do with it?

So confidential that the full contents were soon published.

The pall wasn't the head of the rival union, though it was given to him with the intent that he would circulate with all the members of that union.

That union wasn't actively bidding for that contract and in fact soon went bust. Its members though were fairly annoyed about being left out of the negotiation process.

I would be surprised if many people are actually interested in that affair for its own sake.
    He's as charismatic as a spoiled hamster.

Is that meant to mean something?
    The FG back room boys gifted him the leadership despite the membership wanting Coveney.

There was a striaghtforward vote within the FG party in relation to this. Varadkar got 46% of the vote while Coveney got 22%.
    They hitched the FG wagon to a chap prone to foot in mouth.

Most politicians are. Varadkar adds to the mix by being prolific on social media, for better and worse.
    "SF meanwhile.." :rolleyes:
    So who's providing 'tit for tat'? Might it be folk raising SF in a Varadker/leak thread?

No, the tit-for-tat would be The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein thread, which presumably makes complaints about empty promises, connections to past criminality, and the hypocrisy of a party that constantly opposes planning development.
    Leo keeps providing things to be critical of.

That is true.

So confidential that the full contents were soon published.

The pall wasn't the head of the rival union, though it was given to him with the intent that he would circulate with all the members of that union.

That union wasn't actively bidding for that contract and in fact soon went bust. Its members though were fairly annoyed about being left out of the negotiation process.

I would be surprised if many people are actually interested in that affair for its own sake.

Is that meant to mean something?

There was a striaghtforward vote within the FG party in relation to this. Varadkar got 46% of the vote while Coveney got 22%.

Most politicians are. Varadkar adds to the mix by being prolific on social media, for better and worse.

No, the tit-for-tat would be The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein thread, which presumably makes complaints about empty promises, connections to past criminality, and the hypocrisy of a party that constantly opposes planning development.

That is true.

It was confidential until released, yes. What's your point?

That's the problem yes.

Why, we don't know. You are speculating here. My reading is Varakar used this leaking to try garner support from GP's for himself.

No. The leadership gifted him the position. Ordinary members wanted Coveney.

So was Trump. So are all the other trolls. That's how they operate. 'He (Varadkar) might post dog whistle race baiting material, but at least he posts a lot' :rolleyes:

You cited a comment on the 'tit for tat' nature of the thread then said, 'Meanwhile SF..." engaging in same. Here you are doing it again. Personally I find it tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭golfball37

He’s still piling on the votes for the Shinners I see. Did something I thought as a Clare man I’d never see, made Violet Anne Wynne popular for a day.
    He needs to be ran out of FG before he does anymore damage. He’s already made sure SF will be senior partners in next government the longer he stays the more votes they get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Floppybits

golfball37 wrote: »
    He’s still piling on the votes for the Shinners I see. Did something I thought as a Clare man I’d never see, made Violet Anne Wynne popular for a day.
    He needs to be ran out of FG before he does anymore damage. He’s already made sure SF will be senior partners in next government the longer he stays the more votes they get

You can see that statement coming back to haunt him like the other one he made "If you are white, male or even worse middle-class, Sinn Féin doesn’t want you. So much for an ‘Ireland of equals".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

golfball37 wrote: »

Was reading that a while ago, he really and truly is one hell of a first class idiot. There was no need to make that comment today, but Leo being Leo, he just had to make it, and yet again was left looking like an absolute plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That is basic basic stuff.
    Before you open your mouth, check the facts.

Was he just looking for something to moan about when he made that up, or was there a specific question he was replying to when he came out with the obstacle stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Suckit wrote: »
    That is basic basic stuff.
    Before you open your mouth, check the facts.

Was he just looking for something to moan about when he made that up?

He was just being Varadkar, playing straight from the FG handbook.

Racist, sectarian, homophobic, misogyny etc etc etc accusations, it's irrelevant if there's any substance behind the accusations.

It's undeniably happening on this site from certain posters too, all of whom, I think you could fairly described as being sympathetic towards fg.

That's no coincidence btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Got that, I was just curious to what his reasons were for the statement.

I like it when they shout sexism, racism, homophobic etc.. as it looks pathetic and is very very transparent.

Suckit wrote: »
    Got that, I was just curious to what his reasons were for the statement.

I like it when they shout sexism, racism, homophobic etc.. as it looks pathetic and is very very transparent.

Basically he was asked about SF support groups publishing ads looking for movement on a United Ireland and he decided to make a tit of himself. In being a smart arse he ended up looking an arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What was the actual quote? I've read a couple of articles about the protestant thing but all are paraphrasing.

TheChizler wrote: »
    What was the actual quote? I've read a couple of articles about the protestant thing but all are paraphrasing.
    Mr Varadkar made the inaccurate comment on RTÉ's News At One programme, when he contended that Sinn Féin was "an obstacle to Irish unity".

He said: "They have a relationship with unionism that is one of mutual hostility. They're sectarian. They're still very anti-British. They have no Protestant TDs, MLAs or Senators."

He finished off with some cack about there being orange as well as green in the flag.

TheChizler wrote: »

He said they were sectarian, and stated that there were no Protestants in the party as proof.

To counter this Sinn Fein loudly shouted that the mad anti-vaxer TD of theirs is apparently Protestant.

In other news, UKIP had a Catholic MEP, and Marine Le Pen's National Rally has a gay National Assembly member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

More discomfort for poor Leo, just amazing with all his PR and social media team, he couldn't check his facts re SF having protestant members. He's just seems to be obsessed with all things SF, must have been Gut wrenching for him to actually apologise.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement