Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Fann Linn wrote: »
    So he's not being investigated?
    He didn't make sectarian comment last week?

Don't let them distract you mate, they'll try and drag you down a different path. We're discussing the criminal investigation into fine gael leader Leo varadker. Party of law and order indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭golfball37

One reply on the tweet nails it. He’s admitted he did it so just proceed to see if it’s a crime. Why waste time. I suspect the dpp wouldn’t proceed with it but we don’t need it dragged out. Harris obviously told the Gardai the truth that he was unaware of Leo’s intention to leak this. Had he said he gave the ok then there is no case to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fann Linn wrote: »
    So he's not being investigated?
    He didn't make sectarian comment last week?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

No.

Is the sky blue?
    Is grass green?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Is the sky blue?
    Is grass green?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Doesitmatter21

Yes.

The defenders are defenceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So the current leader of the 'law and order party' is a "person of interest" in a criminal investigation. Interesting.
    Add to that all his stupid divisive comments and FG's hammering in the last election; they must be just keeping him around for ****s and giggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

No.

I wonder would Leo tell us if he believes the DUP are a sectarian party considering they have no Catholic members (amongst other things )

But then again, he is a coward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Highly doubt he'll step a side but this will do him and FG no favours in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

#LeoTheLeak

#LeoTheCriminal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Floppybits

So the current leader of the 'law and order party' is a "person of interest" in a criminal investigation. Interesting.
    Add to that all his stupid divisive comments and FG's hammering in the last election; they must be just keeping him around for ****s and giggles.

All getting a bit serious now for something that we were constantly told on here that there was nothing to see, it wasn't a confidential document, he was entitled to do it as supreme leader.

If we actually had a strong leader they would be telling Varadkar to step aside till this investigation is over. How embarrassing it must be for the FG party that once prided itself on being the law and order party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

https://mobile.twitter.com/caulmick/status/1370862313520181248?s=20

I wonder if he'll do time and if this investigation will be just around this one specific incident or include his leaky history.

Hilariously there was a tribunal in The Thick of It about the "culture of leaking" in Downing Street. A civil servant was to blame :D hopefully there'll be more satisfactory outcome here. He really is absolutely shameless. He'll be having a bad night tonight though, I'll drink to that.

I wonder if he'll do time and if this investigation will be just around this one specific incident or include his leaky history.

Hilariously there was a tribunal in The Thick of It about the "culture of leaking" in Downing Street. A civil servant was to blame :D hopefully there'll be more satisfactory outcome here. He really is absolutely shameless. He'll be having a bad night tonight though, I'll drink to that.

sláinte!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Floppybits wrote: »
    All getting a bit serious now for something that we were constantly told on here that there was nothing to see, it wasn't a confidential document, he was entitled to do it as supreme leader.

If we actually had a strong leader they would be telling Varadkar to step aside till this investigation is over. How embarrassing it must be for the FG party that once prided itself on being the law and order party.

I'm fairness I can racall various TD's and reps from parties getting interviewed and investigated in the past and not stepping aside.

Why should this be different?

Bertie, Gerry Adams, there is a long list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I for one am glad this has been upgraded to a full investigation, as it shows the no one is above the law, and the sly comments about highly corrupt Ireland or FG is mostly nonsense.

One also has to remember that one is innocent until proven guilty. If this case was dropped, we would have a sizeable section of the internet giving out about corruption, underhanded deals and so on, with no proof mind, and this case would be no different.

An independent Gardai investigating something, without political interference is the foundation of a true Republic. Other posters and opposition parties should take note. Just like Francis Fitzgerald resigning from her cabinet position, doest infer guilt, this investigation doesn't infer guilt either. Francie Fitzgerald was 100% exonerated by Justice Charlton after the fact. I am confident the same will happen to Leo, there isn't much there from what I have read about this case.

We also have to remember, before Leo is sent to the Joy, this investigation has to be concluded, sent to the DPP, the DPP has to decide if there is enough there to get a prosecution, it then has to be sent to a court of law, where a judge will hear arguments on both sides and then decide if one is guilty....

As per Leo, stepping 'aside'. Of course not. He is still innocent of anything and this will not stop him from doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'm fairness I can racall various TD's and reps from parties getting interviewed and investigated in the past and not stepping aside.

Why should this be different?

Bertie, Gerry Adams, there is a long list.

That is some group to belong too. Not forgetting Lawlor who went straight to Dail after serving time in jail.

markodaly wrote: »
    I for one am glad this has been upgraded to a full investigation, as it shows the no one is above the law, and the sly comments about highly corrupt Ireland or FG is mostly nonsense.

One also has to remember that one is innocent until proven guilty. If this case was dropped, we would have a sizeable section of the internet giving out about corruption, underhanded deals and so on, with no proof mind, and this case would be no different.

An independent Gardai investigating something, without political interference is the foundation of a true Republic. Other posters and opposition parties should take note. Just like Francis Fitzgerald resigning from her cabinet position, doest infer guilt, this investigation doesn't infer guilt either. Francie Fitzgerald was 100% exonerated by Justice Charlton after the fact. I am confident the same will happen to Leo, there isn't much there from what I have read about this case.

We also have to remember, before Leo is sent to the Joy, this investigation has to be concluded, sent to the DPP, the DPP has to decide if there is enough there to get a prosecution, it then has to be sent to a court of law, where a judge will hear arguments on both sides and then decide if one is guilty....

As per Leo, stepping 'aside'. Of course not. He is still innocent of anything and this will not stop him from doing his job.

why did she resign?

Floppybits wrote: »
    That is some group to belong too. Not forgetting Lawlor who went straight to Dail after serving time in jail.

Yep.

why did she resign?

Fitzgerald was later cleared of blame by the Collins Report in March 2018.[22] In October 2018, the third interim report of the Disclosures Tribunal found that she had "selflessly" resigned in the national interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

The ideal scenario for me is that all of the above happens, he doesn’t step down, and he’s ultimately convicted. He will have dragged his party through the thickest of sh1t if he does and I will love every minute of it. Sectarian comments last week, criminal investigations now.

The party of law and order my h*le. Leo is the gift that SF have been looking for all along. Long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/full-garda-probe-into-varadkar-gp-pay-leak-40193839.html

What will happen him if he's found guilty of breaching the Official Secrets Act?

Edit, I found what happened someone who was convicted in Ireland recently...

https://www.thejournal.ie/dpp-employees-4672836-Jun2019/

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That rather surprises me mark considering your previous attitude to this ongoing saga.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

That rather surprises me mark considering your previous attitude to this ongoing saga.

Sarcasm detector has blown a fuse

On another note, now that An Garda Siochána have considered that there is merit enough to investigate this as a crime, does Jennifer MacNeill FG and Aodhán Ó Riordáin Lab still consider the motion of no confidence to be a waste of time and money?

That said, Varadkar can’t really win now

If the DPP go ahead with investigation it at the very least undermines him, as it could roll on into when he is set to be Taoiseach and if DPP won’t further the investigation, there will be calls of corruption

On another note, now that An Garda Siochána have considered that there is merit enough to investigate this as a crime, does Jennifer MacNeill FG and Aodhán Ó Riordáin Lab still consider the motion of no confidence to be a waste of time and money?

That said, Varadkar can’t really win now

If the DPP go ahead with investigation it at the very least undermines him, as it could roll on into when he is set to be Taoiseach and if DPP won’t further the investigation, there will be calls of corruption

Calls of corruption by who?

And evidence is needed for a call like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Doesitmatter21

Games up for Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

if DPP won’t further the investigation, there will be calls of corruption

Of course there will, hence my previous point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I think FG would do better in the polls without him, wonder is there any appetite within the party to get rid of him. He's divisive, petty and a Dutch persons worst nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Leo is definitely a hindrance to FG at this stage. Between his chronic leaking habits to his public, and reckless, slamming of NPHET right before a massive surge of Covid infections, very very few have faith in him anymore. Time to step down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

When Paul Reynolds is reporting on this story for RTE, will he now describe Leo Varadker as known to Gardai?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement