Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Doesitmatter21

blanch152 wrote: »
    You are indeed correct, the best corollary with Trump is SF not Leo.

Don’t we always hear them on here complaining how the media is against them, and didn’t they tell us they won the election, even though the numbers disagreed and they needed up in opposition.

Blanch have a beer. Its been a bad day

Was it not SF had the numbers if they talked to other parties but didnt want to be in Govt? Trying to rewrite history here Blanch?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Interesting how far down the page the Irish Times have placed the upgrading of the investigation (below a report on a Dutch anti-lockdown protest and above a report on an error on the PC World's webiste). There's also no mention of the investigation being upgraded to a criminal one, just a 'formal' one.

I'm also beginning to suspect that the top read column on the IT's website is bullshít, unless more people are clicking on the PC World story (no. 8 most read story today) than a criminal investigation of the Tanaiste (not on the list).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,670 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Interesting how far down the page the Irish Times have placed the upgrading of the investigation (below a report on a Dutch anti-lockdown protest and above a report on an error on the PC World's webiste). There's also no mention of the investigation being upgraded to a criminal one, just a 'formal' one.

I'm also beginning to suspect that the top read column on the IT's website is bullshít, unless more people are clicking on the PC World story (no. 8 most read story today) than a criminal investigation of the Tanaiste (not on the list).

Maybe Irish Times readers consider it a non-story?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It's a conspiracy.

In the age of social media, it's a cover up.

Noone will hear about it.

And if noone hears about it the Gards won't prosecute Leo.

That's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Was it not SF had the numbers if they talked to other parties but didnt want to be in Govt?

LMAO :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Worrying for their intelligence if so.

Particularly as there's no other way of looking at it than an absolute, definite story: an investigation into a serving Tanaiste - and previous Taoiseach - is upgraded to a criminal one. If that's not a story, shít, I don't know what is. It's the sort of thing that brings down governments, and would be front and centre if it was any of the other political parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

If only Leo followed through with his pledge for helping those getting up early in the morning. But he didn't; he did the exact opposite, so he will not get the support of the majority in the country who could get him out of this mess of his own doing. He is a snake, and his actions are finally coming home to roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It's a conspiracy.

In the age of social media, it's a cover up.
    Not even the aptly nicknamed Wokus Dei on Social Media believe Varadkar at this stage. It is rapidly turning into a "Live by the tweet, die by the tweet" situation for Varadkar in that he is being demolished on Social Media by people who simply don't believe what laughably passes for the media in this country.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Funny because everyone I spoke to today, about fifteen different people from all walks of life and demographics. All but one brought up that story without prompting.

Actually I instigated the first conversation, because I thought they might not have been following it to now. But they knew the whole case. And that person is in their 70s and watches predominantly RTÉ and read the Sunday Times today, and even they knew the entirety of the story.

It's parochial gossip. It's absolutely scandalous. It doesn't help that Humphries stuck her beak in it first thing this morning.

"Nobody will even hear about this" is the new "Nothing will come of this". And before that, the denial was "nobody will even hear about this". Next it's going to be "Nothing will even happen to him" and after that it will be "Hardly anything will even happen to him" and after that it'll be further revisionism.

Funny because everyone I spoke to today, about fifteen different people from all walks of life and demographics. All but one brought up that story without prompting.

Actually I instigated the first conversation, because I thought they might not have been following it to now. But they knew the whole case. And that person is in their 70s and watches predominantly RTÉ and read the Sunday Times today, and even they knew the entirety of the story.

It's parochial gossip. It's absolutely scandalous. It doesn't help that Humphries stuck her beak in it first thing this morning.

"Nobody will even hear about this" is the new "Nothing will come of this". And before that, the denial was "nobody will even hear about this". Next it's going to be "Nothing will even happen to him" and after that it will be "Hardly anything will even happen to him" and after that it'll be further revisionism.

Just proves my point of the nonsense here that the media are trying to bury the story.

In this day and age its impossible.

Absolute conspiracy theory waffle.

• Advertisement

Yeah shur it's not worth even putting on the news because everyone will hear about it anyway.

Is that about right?

Death throes, for Leo and his defenders both.

Yeah shur it's not worth even putting on the news because everyone will hear about it anyway.

Is that about right?

The interesting thing to watch will be the number of them that reinvent themselves as Coveney voters/supporters. There does seem to be a chill wind blowing around FG tonight as Varadkar loses favour. Perhaps the FG grassroots were right and the FG Oireachtas gang were terribly wrong after trying to reinvent themselves after Enda Kenny's reign of error.

Regards...jmcc

Is that about right?

It is worth putting in the news like it has been put in the news.

The fact its in the news even further proves my point that there is no big conspiracy to bury the story like some have in their heads here.

It is worth putting in the news like it has been put in the news.

The fact its in the news even further proves my point that there is no big conspiracy to bury the story like some have in their heads here.

RTE and The Irish Times have done there best to try keep it quiet. Not a peep out of them until it was everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

https://twitter.com/Sal_feeko/status/1370883577542545409

So when Sinn Fein held a motion of no confidence on Leo Varadkar for leaking the GP contract to his friend Dr Zero Craic Fine Gael then called on Sinn Fein to pay for the cost of the motion of no confidence, 25,000 euro. They attacked Sinn Fein for daring to call a motion of no confidence in their Dear Leader and spread this message all over social media.

Well doesnt this now mean the Blueshirts up on their moral high horse should pay for the cost of the Garda investigation into their leader Leo the Leak? Thats the standard they've set after all. Fine Gael are now wasting taxpayers money because a rake of detectives are now investigating the nefarious activities of its leader and by their own standards they should be the ones to foot the bill. Will it happen, not a hope. But it will be just another example of the hypocrisy of Fine Gael.

And for what its worth the 25k spent on that motion of no confidence was worth every single penny. Because we now have the entire Fine Gael parliamentary party on record in the Dail voting confidence in Varadkar over this very issue. If Leo goes down over this then what does that say about the judgement of every member of Fine Gael? They will have voted confidence in a criminal, nice work lads icon14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Muahahaha wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Sal_feeko/status/1370883577542545409

So when Sinn Fein held a motion of no confidence on Leo Varadkar for leaking the GP contract to his friend Dr Zero Craic Fine Gael then called on Sinn Fein to pay for the cost of the motion of no confidence, 25,000 euro. They attacked Sinn Fein for daring to call a motion of no confidence in their Dear Leader and spread this message all over social media.

Well doesnt this now mean the Blueshirts up on their moral high horse should pay for the cost of the Garda investigation into their leader Leo the Leak? Thats the standard they've set after all. Fine Gael are now wasting taxpayers money because a rake of detectives are now investigating the nefarious activities of its leader and by their own standards they should be the ones to foot the bill. Will it happen, not a hope. But it will be just another example of the hypocrisy of Fine Gael.

And for what its worth the 25k spent on that motion of no confidence was worth every single penny. Because we now have the entire Fine Gael parliamentary party on record in the Dail voting confidence in Varadkar over this very issue. If Leo goes down over this then what does that say about the judgement of every member of Fine Gael? They will have voted confidence in a criminal, nice work lads icon14.png

This is it. They're in too deep. You'd have to wonder what the tipping point will be. The level of unity in support is startling. Looks almost like coercive control. You'd have to wonder what sort of intimidation is done behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The claims of a mainstream media cover up by some in here, when all the main newspapers have reported on it (one even broke it) is a bit too deep state QAnon territory for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Floppybits

smurgen wrote: »
    This is it. They're in too deep. You'd have to wonder what the tipping point will be. The level of unity in support is startling. Looks almost like coercive control. You'd have to wonder what sort of intimidation is done behind closed doors.

There is no tipping point all those who voted confidence in Varadkar. They know if the government falls they are going to be slaughtered by the electorate. The wagons will be circled to protect Varadkar and their own arses

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The claims of a mainstream media cover up by some in here, when all the main newspapers have reported on it (one even broke it) is a bit too deep state QAnon territory for my liking.

Whats your opinion on the actual story about Leo or are you here just to nit pick at silly things?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,862 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement

There's hardly a claim that they didn't cover the story at all. It's just supposedly not a well-read story according to the Irish Times, and RTÉ have been sparse with their coverage as well considering it's former and intended (supposedly) future Taoiseach and a hairy AF corruption scandal. It's unusual that there's a "business as usual" attitude to this by the conservative media when everybody knows the story regardless of RTÉ/IT lack of enthusiasm for it.

There's no doubt about it now. The targets are fixed and the guns are loaded like. It's not possible to unpull the trigger.

Whats your opinion on the actual story about Leo or are you here just to nit pick at silly things?

I've given my opinion in this thread previously on several occasions. Nothing new has come to light in a good while so I don't feel it is necessary to rehash all that. If and when new information is released at the end of the investigation then I can give any updated thoughts then.

The deep state conspiracy stuff in here today though certainly is alarming - I don't find it "silly" (as you put it) in the slightest. Stuff like that has shown itself to be a danger to democracy elsewhere.

Please clarify, what is a danger to democracy. Politicians being exposed as criminals when they commit crimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭golfball37

It’s not on the independent front page as of four hours ago. The current Tanaiste and former Taoiseach is less newsworthy than Ireland beating Scotland or some X factor contestant.

Have a look at their top stories section. The story is nowhere in front page. It’s not Qanon to call that strange or even deliberate

https://m.independent.ie/

golfball37 wrote: »
    It’s not on the independent front page as of four hours ago. The current Tanaiste and former Taoiseach is less newsworthy than Ireland beating Scotland or some X factor contestant.

Have a look at their top stories section. The story is nowhere in front page. It’s not Qanon to call that strange or even deliberate

There's no Varadkar related items in the top 50 twitter trends in Ireland right now either. Is the big cover up going all the way to Silicon Valley?

https://getdaytrends.com/ireland/

People need to step back from the edge a bit. Deep State/QAnon type stuff can suck people in without them even realising.

The first ever Walrus to land in Ireland (the replys to that on twitter suggest the first one was in the 1800s) is more important

The first ever Walrus to land in Ireland (the replys to that on twitter suggest the first one was in the 1800s) is more important

I was wondering why Walrus was trending on twitter, that explains that one then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭golfball37

There's no Varadkar related items in the top 50 twitter trends in Ireland right now either. Is the big cover up going all the way to Silicon Valley?

https://getdaytrends.com/ireland/

People need to step back from the edge a bit. Deep State/QAnon type stuff can suck people in without them even realising.

Keep deflecting. I find it strange that a national newspaper does not consider this a story worthy of being on their homepage. They have stories about a walrus in Kerry and a former X factor contestant in their top story section. No mention at all of the current Tanaiste being investigated as a criminal however. Maybe we just differ on what’s newsworthy

If that’s a definition of a qanon however in finding that fact bizarre?

Keep deflecting. I find it strange that a national newspaper does not consider this a story worthy of being on their homepage. They have stories about a walrus in Kerry and a former X factor contestant in their top story section. No mention at all of the current Tanaiste being investigated as a criminal however. Maybe we just differ on what’s newsworthy

If that’s a definition of a qanon however in finding that fact bizarre?

Ah yes, "keep deflecting", the stock response when someone doesn't have anything of substance left to say. You were the one that responded to me remember.

Feel free to find it "bizarre" all you like. I often have big interest in various things and would likewise find it bizarre that the general population doesn't share the same interest. Nothing wrong with that.

Stepping into conspiracy land however, and believing there is a coordinated cover up across all irish media and global social media websites like Twitter along with it is a bit more 'out there' though, to put it nicely.

• Advertisement

Keep deflecting. I find it strange that a national newspaper does not consider this a story worthy of being on their homepage.
    Look at the stories with which they are leading. They are trying to get people to subscribe rather than to provide news. The other aspect is that yesterday was Sunday and the main focus for the front page will be different to that of a weekday. Even RTE uses wireservice content from PA, AFP and, I think, Reuters to pad out the relatively low level of locally generated content. It isn't a conspiracy. It is the news business.

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement