Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yes, RTE, the Indo et all, all have a conspiracy to subvert the justice system...
    Trump would be very very proud of the level of debate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Doesitmatter21

markodaly wrote: »
    Yes, RTE, the Indo et all, all have a conspiracy to subvert the justice system...
    Trump would be very very proud of the level of debate here.

You have yet to comment on the news today, just smart comments as per

Interesting week ahead for the party of law and order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭golfball37

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Ah yes, "keep deflecting", the stock response when someone doesn't have anything of substance left to say. You were the one that responded to me remember.

Feel free to find it "bizarre" all you like. I often have big interest in various things and would likewise find it bizarre that the general population doesn't share the same interest. Nothing wrong with that.

Stepping into conspiracy land however, and believing there is a coordinated cover up across all irish media and global social media websites like Twitter along with it is a bit more 'out there' though, to put it nicely.

I never mentioned a co ordinated cover up at all, you did. I said I find it strange and probably deliberate one national newspaper doesn’t deem it newsworthy.

To try and pass that opinion off as what you present is deflection imo. It’s like tarring people who criticise varadkar as a shinner no matter what their politics are.

golfball37 wrote: »
    I never mentioned a co ordinated cover up at all, you did. I said I find it strange and probably deliberate one national newspaper doesn’t deem it newsworthy.

To try and pass that opinion off as what you present is deflection imo. It’s like tarring people who criticise varadkar as a shinner no matter what their politics are.

But do you know there was a funeral in Belfast last year?

Funny because everyone I spoke to today, about fifteen different people from all walks of life and demographics. All but one brought up that story without prompting.

Ah lads, come on, this is one of those Enda Kenny stories. :pac::pac:
    Also, 15 people in the middle of a level 5 lockdown?
    I think not.

• Advertisement

You have yet to comment on the news today, just smart comments as per

Interesting week ahead for the party of law and order

I have, it is just you either forgot or ignored it.

smurgen wrote: »
    This is it. They're in too deep. You'd have to wonder what the tipping point will be. The level of unity in support is startling. Looks almost like coercive control. You'd have to wonder what sort of intimidation is done behind closed doors.

Leo the dictator..... wow, the level of paranoia and utter disdain for the Gardai is something else to behold with some posters here.

It is very easy to say stuff like that, but there is no proof of course to back any of these scenarios.

golfball37 wrote: »

I for one am glad this has been upgraded to a full investigation, as it shows the no one is above the law, and the sly comments about highly corrupt Ireland or FG is mostly nonsense.

One also has to remember that one is innocent until proven guilty. If this case was dropped, we would have a sizeable section of the internet giving out about corruption, underhanded deals and so on, with no proof mind, and this case would be no different.

An independent Gardai investigating something, without political interference is the foundation of a true Republic. Other posters and opposition parties should take note. Just like Francis Fitzgerald resigning from her cabinet position, doest infer guilt, this investigation doesn't infer guilt either. Francie Fitzgerald was 100% exonerated by Justice Charlton after the fact. I am confident the same will happen to Leo, there isn't much there from what I have read about this case.

We also have to remember, before Leo is sent to the Joy, this investigation has to be concluded, sent to the DPP, the DPP has to decide if there is enough there to get a prosecution, it then has to be sent to a court of law, where a judge will hear arguments on both sides and then decide if one is guilty....

As per Leo, stepping 'aside'. Of course not. He is still innocent of anything and this will not stop him from doing his job.

I for one am glad this has been upgraded to a full investigation, as it shows the no one is above the law

Did you call for Brian Stanley to resign over some tweets??

You tell me? As a new poster ;) you should know how to search my posts.
    Anyway, its a tad off-topic, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Ah lads, come on, this is one of those Enda Kenny stories. :pac::pac:
    Also, 15 people in the middle of a level 5 lockdown?
    I think not.
    It was mother's day, and I rang two of my friends who had their first child this year to see what they were up to. I called four sisters, my mother and grandmother on the phone / went out for 2 walks with individual friends, zoomed with my cousins. I also said hi to next door because they work nights so I hadn't seen them in ages and a lad from up the road went past when I put out the bin so we were chatting briefly. Pretty sad anyone would consider that exceptional.. standard enough Sunday, esp given the fact that it was an "occasion" anyway.

Poor Leo.
    Issuing a standard warning that anything Mr Varadkar says will be taken down and may be given in evidence is a commonplace precursor to interviewing a witness or potential defendant in a criminal investigation, sources said.
    Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

It was mother's day, and I rang two of my friends who had their first child this year to see what they were up to. I called four sisters, my mother and grandmother on the phone / went out for 2 walks with individual friends, zoomed with my cousins. I also said hi to next door because they work nights so I hadn't seen them in ages and a lad from up the road went past when I put out the bin so we were chatting briefly. Pretty sad anyone would consider that exceptional.. standard enough Sunday, esp given the fact that it was an "occasion"

Varadkar's gestapo will be knocking on your door after that admission of restrictions breaching :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

But do you know there was a funeral in Belfast last year?
    I for one am glad this has been upgraded to a full investigation, as it shows the no one is above the law

MOD.

Don't post here again.

You are just intent of shoehorning Sinn Fein into this thread.

Varadkar's gestapo will be knocking on your door after that admission of restrictions breaching :pac:
    I literally didn't breach restrictions

I literally didn't breach restrictions

You said you went out for 2 walks with individual friends?

I thought that was allowed.

Well balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Sure he's fond of a lockdown party himself another area he'd be hypocritical in:P. I hope he held onto them yellow socks :D

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/927935574887010306?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

There's no Varadkar related items in the top 50 twitter trends in Ireland right now either. Is the big cover up going all the way to Silicon Valley?

https://getdaytrends.com/ireland/

You know you can go back and see what was trending when the story actually broke? LeoTheLeak was number 2. It was also the longest trending (for 11 hours).

People need to step back from the edge a bit. Deep State/QAnon type stuff can suck people in without them even realising.

It's hardly QAnon to question why the story doesn't appear on the front page of the website of the Independent (at all!) whereas the first sighting of a walrus in Ireland is featured prominently.

You know you can go back and see what was trending when the story actually broke? LeoTheLeak was number 2. It was also the longest trending (for 11 hours).

It's hardly QAnon to question why the story doesn't appear on the front page of the website of the Independent (at all!) whereas the first sighting of a walrus in Ireland is featured prominently.

The poster was querying why it still wasn't there yesterday evening, I was trying to show that it had moved off the main news cycle by pointing out none of the top 50 trends on twitter related to it either at that point. I'm well aware it was a news item earlier in the day. It was even on the front page of the Independent's print version too. Pretty bad cover up job by them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is it. They're in too deep. You'd have to wonder what the tipping point will be. The level of unity in support is startling. Looks almost like coercive control. You'd have to wonder what sort of intimidation is done behind closed doors.

I think the problem is that like FF, there's no clear successor if Leo goes.

Coveney would seem to be the obvious choice of course but remember he was passed over despite grassroots support. The likes of Harris and McEntee (FG's "new generation" and some of the worst ministers we've had yet) owe their careers to Leo and are of much the same mold.

Additionally, I personally think Coveney would be worse for Ireland in the long run given his ties to the late Peter Sutherland and the European agenda - as bad as Leo is (and he is) the level of damage he can do on the wider scale is minimal as Leo is all about Leo.

If he does go it'll destabilise an already fragile Government only held together by their desire to keep SF out, so FF won't be too keen on pushing him out either (Martin has enough problems as it is).

SF seem to be quiet so far which is surprising. Maybe they'll keep their mouths shut and let the Government implode in front of them, after which they'll sweep the board no doubt - something I think will be disastrous for our small FDI-dependent economy and those of us who pay for everything.

Whatever happens here, I think the moderate middle-class worker who DOES "get up early in the morning" will lose out badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Coveney would seem to be the obvious choice of course but remember he was passed over despite grassroots support. The likes of Harris and McEntee (FG's "new generation" and some of the worst ministers we've had yet) owe their careers to Leo and are of much the same mold.

Additionally, I personally think Coveney would be worse for Ireland in the long run given his ties to the late Peter Sutherland and the European agenda - as bad as Leo is (and he is) the level of damage he can do on the wider scale is minimal as Leo is all about Leo.

If he does go it'll destabilise an already fragile Government only held together by their desire to keep SF out, so FF won't be too keen on pushing him out either (Martin has enough problems as it is).

SF seem to be quiet so far which is surprising. Maybe they'll keep their mouths shut and let the Government implode in front of them, after which they'll sweep the board no doubt - something I think will be disastrous for our small FDI-dependent economy and those of us who pay for everything.

Whatever happens here, I think the moderate middle-class worker who DOES "get up early in the morning" will lose out badly.

never interrupt your enemy when hes making a mistake.

• Advertisement

They are quiet because the precedent was set some years back when Gerry Adams was arrested by the PSNI over the murder and disappearing of Jean McConville. Even though he was questioned over a number of days, no political party asked him to step down as leader of SF.*

Also, other parties have to be careful as if they blow their top, they can rightly, be charged with harming the prospect of a fair trial, if it comes to that.
    So, in essence, this has gone from the political arena to the justice arena. The Gardai will take it from here, so best for others to stay quiet and let them do their job.

*Hugh O'Connell made this point on Newstalk yesterday and I am not trying to shoehorn SF into this, as I am responding to a poster.

You tell me? As a new poster ;) you should know how to search my posts.
    Anyway, its a tad off-topic, no?

Mod Snip

1 week forum ban for a threadban breach

Yep. Unfortunately the backing of Varadkar has left the party exposed. There's also serious quality issues with some of their other TD's. If Coveney stepped up to the plate it would really help strengthen the party. Harris is a useless bluffer and weak.

When's Leo going to wipe the floor with the Village? Must be really hard for the Irish Time blueshirt reporters right now.

https://ibb.co/P4Ddbvm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yep. Unfortunately the backing of Varadkar has left the party exposed. There's also serious quality issues with some of their other TD's. If Coveney stepped up to the plate it would really help strengthen the party. Harris is a useless bluffer and weak.

The fact that Harris and McEntee are being discussed a future leaders of FG and Chambers being discussed as a future leader of FF, if they survive the next few years, we really are scrapping the bottom of the barrel for leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Poor Leo, the most distressing thing to date for him is being mentioned in the same article as one Charles Haughey

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/how-some-of-our-most-high-profile-politicians-had-brushes-with-the-law-40196277.html

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

When's Leo going to wipe the floor with the Village? Must be really hard for the Irish Time blueshirt reporters right now.

The state of this one gleefully backing Leo. And her a former solicitor.

As a matter of interest, what reporters are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've not really paid much heed to this, I am firmly in the camp of Ministers and TDs alike should be working their backsides off to keep our economy and health service afloat. These distractions are a pain and need to be dealt with but I know all the opposition will focus on this week is this, again and the government will be answering questions about it. Leo should step aside and let the rest get on with things.

I am disgusted that the Justice Minister in waiting felt it appropriate to comment, nevermind back him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I've not really paid much heed to this, I am firmly in the camp of Ministers and TDs alike should be working their backsides off to keep our economy and health service afloat. These distractions are a pain and need to be dealt with but I know all the opposition will focus on this week is this, again and the government will be answering questions about it. Leo should step aside and let the rest get on with things.

I am disgusted that the Justice Minister in waiting felt it appropriate to comment, nevermind back him.

Sure the current one did also. Just not right that our sitting ministers can back something without knowing all the facts.

I re-watched heathers attack on Sinn Fein during Leo’s confidence speeches back in Nov - she spent the entire time saying she has faith in Leo but did not say one factual thing as to why she had faith in him.
    Bizarre that a person like that can be in a position of such power.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement