Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Thankfully we can still embarrass the authorities in at least being seen to do the right thing.
    With that kind of record, I'm surprised that the Irish Times has not given Paddy his own column. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The boy Losty is perfectly correct, let’s wait for the ....outcome.......... before celebrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I don't believe for a second the DPP would have the cajones to charge Leo.

I'd ****ing love it if they did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

With the political interference already gone on its going to be tough. The new justice minister not being put in place would be the only hope. A bizarre turn of events for any modern democracy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Why would they not have the cahunas to charge if the charges were valid :confused:

Can you expand on that assertion.

Are you implying corruption on their part.

Have you evidence to back those assertions up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

dr matt o tuathail is contemplating emigration apparently, thats how much heat hes getting from his interactions with leo varadkar !!!! it will be interesting to see if leo varadkar is charged by the dpp, the village magazine had a very interesting article over the weekend that explained why in the opinion of two different barristers leo varadkar clearly broke the law !!!!!

if he did indeed break the law he should rightfully face prosecution but either way he should not be allowed to stsy in place at the minute , not until the an garda siochana investigation has concluded and the dpp make their decisions !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I think she will charge him as there will be enough evidence to secure a conviction.

That will be the only consideration given to the file and the Gardai wouldn't have proceeded with a full criminal investigation without giving it some serious consideration.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just as well the Gardai are the ones who'll have the final say. Would be a cold day in hell before the GP would grow a spine.

It's not even that. The GP have another chance to push their fantasy ideology (which in reality will only make matters worse as it did last time they had a whiff of power).

No way are they going to give that up (just as they propped up the FF Govt long past its sell-by date as well last time)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

Mary Lou trying to play political games. People see right through this whole sham. SF will gain no new followers with this silly side show.

would you care to explain why the irish times and rte who were contacted by the village magazine in relation to the varadkar leak refused to cover the story ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

shafty100 wrote: »
    would you care to explain why the irish times and rte who were contacted by the village magazine in relation to the varadkar leak refused to cover the story ?

I guess they are in cahoots with Leo and FG? The only plausible explanation, am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

markodaly wrote: »
    I guess they are in cahoots with Leo and FG? The only plausible explanation, am I right?

Something about the establishment and control of the media.

Something about the establishment and control of the media.

Yeap, some Trumpian conspiracy akin to stealing an election or hiding news stories akin to Pizzagate or something.
    I've asked a few posters to explain some of their posts regarding this line of questioning and conspiracy-lite claims, with little success.

But the narrative is nice and cuddly for those who don't like the government parties, the government/Leo/FG/someone is telling the Irish Times or RTE what stories to run or not run, with no proof mind. The proof isn't needed anymore to make such claims, the claims themselves are enough.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Nothing more than cowardice. They are afraid to face the electorate and are clinging on to get the pensions. This is not putting the country first, this is nothing more than greed.

They'd be decimated. Deeply deeply unpopular with the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

Yeap, some Trumpian conspiracy akin to stealing an election or hiding news stories akin to Pizzagate or something.
    I've asked a few posters to explain some of their posts regarding this line of questioning and conspiracy-lite claims, with little success.

But the narrative is nice and cuddly for those who don't like the government parties, the government/Leo/FG/someone is telling the Irish Times or RTE what stories to run or not run, with no proof mind. The proof isn't needed anymore to make such claims, the claims themselves are enough.

The proof was enough to warrant a criminal investigation. Not only that he admitted he did it.
    RTÉ spent more time on some no mark sf td tweeting about the Provo’s the same time the Tanaistes ethics were shown up to be not of the standard required.
    For me that’s not normal anyway.

golfball37 wrote: »
    The proof was enough to warrant a criminal investigation. Not only that he admitted he did it.
    RTÉ spent more time on some no mark sf td tweeting about the Provo’s the same time the Tanaistes ethics were shown up to be not of the standard required.

The Leo story when it broke was covered at length by both RTE and the Irish Times.
    There is no proof of any conspiracy of Leo/FG exercising editorial control over the content RTE and the Irish Times put out, NONE!

So please, stop peddling Trumpian levels of falsehoods.

golfball37 wrote: »

The conspiracy theories seem to be on the side of those left to explain Leo's actions. They're abandoning reason to support dodgy politicians. Maga-esque!

About Varadkar's connection with Trump and that planning permission... :)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/varadkar-reveals-aid-he-gave-to-trump-over-doonbeg-golf-course-1.3428608

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Varadkar’s position is entirely untenable. Disgusting to watch Jennifer MacNeill get aggressive in support of him. The weak media uncomfortable in due diligence of this. Poor stuff.

This chancer can not continue as Tanaiste and return as Taoiseach.

The Leo story when it broke was covered at length by both RTE and the Irish Times.
    There is no proof of any conspiracy of Leo/FG exercising editorial control over the content RTE and the Irish Times put out, NONE!

Stop calling him Leo. Varadkar is his name and he is the Trump of Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Stop calling him Leo. Varadker is his name and he is the Trump of Irish politics.

Varadkar

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Varadker’s position is entirely untenable. Disgusting to watch Jennifer MacNeill get aggressive in support of him. The weak media uncomfortable in due diligence of this. Poor stuff.

This chancer can not continue as Tanaiste and return as Taoiseach.

Christ how did they think putting her on was a good idea? she's the Bailey replacement clone, wife of former Goldman Sachs director, whose family miraculous got the handsanitizer contract and then gave a defective product to the schools.
    She is an example of all that is wrong in Irish Politics.

Varadker’s position is entirely untenable. Disgusting to watch Jennifer MacNeill get aggressive in support of him. The weak media uncomfortable in due diligence of this. Poor stuff.
    It didn't work out well for Varadkar. Carthy concentrated on the ethical and political ramifications whereas Carroll MacNeill tried to argue about the criminal investigation and the process. Even Clare Byrne with the Gerry Adams tangent couldn't save Varadkar.

Regards...jmcc

Varadkar

Whatever. This is the biggest scandal in Irish politics in recent years and yet he’s being protected and the story pushed down the agenda in Irish news bulletins on national airwaves. Quite unbelievable and disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Stop calling him Leo. Varadker is his name and he is the Trump of Irish politics.
    Whatever. This is the biggest scandal in Irish politics in recent years and yet he’s being protected and the story pushed down the agenda in Irish news bulletins on national airwaves. Quite unbelievable and disturbing.

No, Varadkar.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

jmcc wrote: »
    It didn't work out well for Varadkar. Carthy concentrated on the ethical and political ramifications whereas Carroll MacNeill tried to argue about the criminal investigation and the process. Even Clare Byrne with the Gerry Adams tangent couldn't save Varadkar.

Regards...jmcc

It’s amazing to witness. His position is entirely untenable. Brazen arrogance of the kind that saw FG lose their position as most popular political party in the state in the most recent General Election.

No, Varadkar.

Yes. You said that. Varadkar should be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's the fifth time I've seen/heard the story aired on RTE today.

elperello wrote: »
    That's the fifth time I've seen/heard the story aired on RTE today.

Was driving home today had Newstalk on. They flagged the story on their drive time show but didn’t address it until about 18:45. Unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable. RTE? Clare Byrne trying to help MacNeill to dampen down the SF spokesperson Matt Carthy. Shocking stuff.

Why is Varadkar deemed untouchable? Get him out, he’s corrupt. At the very least he should step aside while the investigation is carried on towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Was driving home today had Newstalk on. They flagged the story on their drive time show but didn’t address it until about 18:45. Unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable. RTE? Clare Byrne trying to help MacNeill to dampen down the SF spokesperson Matt Carthy. Shocking stuff.

Why is Varadkar deemed untouchable? Get him out, he’s corrupt. At the very least he should step aside while the investigation is carried on towards him.

I don't know about Newstalk but it was on Morning Ireland first and on all news shows and bulletins that I saw/heard.

There is no conspiracy to cover it up.

He is not untouchable, time will tell.

• Advertisement

It’s amazing to witness. His position is entirely untenable. Brazen arrogance of the kind that saw FG lose their position as most popular political party in the state in the most recent General Election.
    She represents the kind people that FGHQ thinks vote for it. The problem is that this is really pissing off the Laura Norder vote in a way that the Baily Swinggate mess did not. This is about a taoiseach who leaked a confidential document to a friend. The emphasis has also shifted from the Official Secrets Act to corruption legislation. The way that FF and the Greens have repackaged this as an FG problem is even worse as they are effectively washing their hands of the problem. In the event of a no confidence vote, there is no guarantee that FF backbenchers will support Varadkar. There is probably a lot of anger in FF about how Cowen Junior and Calleary were treated. Even RTE's blatant cheerleading for Varadkar is not helping. SF has the correct approach on this in the way that it is presenting it as an ethical, moral and political failure by Varadkar and FG. It is not seeking to pre-empt the Garda criminal investigation into Varadkar's activity but it is forcing FFG to make a choice that it does not want to make. FFG either forces Varadkar to resign or it faces losing votes in the upcoming GE.

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement