Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

blanch152 wrote: »
    Heard Mary-Lou on Newstalk this morning. Couldn't believe her attempt to say that the leaking of a document was a worse crime than ordering the death of a young mother.

Incredible performance, and not in a good way.

As long as it's 'for the cause' it can be excused away in SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

• This story is going nowhere, it'll be buried next week.
    • The Village is a rag anyways!
    • The document wasn't really confidential.
    • But what about Sinn Fein?!?!?!
    • The Gardaí looking at it is just a formality. It's not even an investigation.
    • This thread should be closed now.

Looking through some previous posts in this thread is funny. :)

And we've now moved on to sure the other party leaders have backed him it's grand.

Nail on the head. The mental gymnastics at play here from some posters is a sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,516 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

As long as it's 'for the cause' it can be excused away in SF.

Yep the usual blueshirt tripe. Varadkar facing criminal proceedings,doesn’t even give respect to due process and step aside while the investigation proceeds and FG fans bleat but but but what about Sinn Fein? Pathetic.

The self appointed “law and order party” disregarding and disrespecting due process when it’s one of their own in the dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yep the usual blueshirt tripe. Varadkar facing criminal proceedings,doesn’t even give respect to due process and step aside while the investigation proceeds and FG fans bleat but but but what about Sinn Fein? Pathetic.

The self appointed “law and order party” disregarding and disrespecting due process when it’s one of their own in the dock.

Michelle O'Neill hasn't stepped aside while being investigated by the PSNI, so the hypocrisy from SF is stunning.

Previously, they had a leader being investigated for murder, and he didn't step aside.

The old trope of innocent until proven guilty is applied by Shinners to themselves, but not to anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If the likes of Dara Calleary were expected to resign because they attended a golf event during lockdown then why is Leo still in his position and being investigated by the law? If the cops were called into investigate professional wrongdoing by an average joe, he would be immediately suspended or just fired outright on the basis that he had shared senstive info

So why does the Táiniste get a pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭golfball37

His legacy will be he made SF an acceptable alternative to the electorate.
    If his supporters were genuine in their fear of SF they’d get rid of him. He’s poison and we’ll have to pay for his personality defects when they get into government. Those of us who get up in early in the morning and got nothing from his sound bytes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yes... If the investigation is in relation to actions carried out during the course of performing your role, or a previous role occupied in the same company then you’ll almost certainly be suspended while the investigation is ongoing!

Correct, paid suspension mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

I think she also said on newstalk that a public servant would be sacked if they had done what Varadkar did...
    She obviously doesn't know much about the Irish public service and the complete lack of accountability there...

mikep wrote: »
    I think she also said on newstalk that a public servant would be sacked if they had done what Varadkar did...
    She obviously doesn't know much about the Irish public service and the complete lack of accountability there...

There is very little she has a clue about.

All soundbite, no thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Macneill? I agree 1000000000000000000000000000000%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I have to ask, genuine question here.
    Do people really really really think whatabouting SF is the way to go?

I'm not going to vote for SF, I have never voted for FG ( considered a preference in 2011 but I got better) so as someone with no skin in that game I do wonder why FG supporters persist with this failed strategy.

Yes, SF are FG's main rival (soz FF, but it's true. You are rapidly becoming a mudguard) so obviously some compare/contrast has to happen, but that's not what's happening is it?

FG are asked questions about their own record/activities and along comes 'whatabout'.
    Absolutely SF have some explaining to do but pick yer battles lads.

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I'm not going to vote for SF, I have never voted for FG ( considered a preference in 2011 but I got better) so as someone with no skin in that game I do wonder why FG supporters persist with this failed strategy.

Yes, SF are FG's main rival (soz FF, but it's true. You are rapidly becoming a mudguard) so obviously some compare/contrast has to happen, but that's not what's happening is it?

FG are asked questions about their own record/activities and along comes 'whatabout'.

I am anti-SF, not pro any other party.

I despise their rank hypocrisy on almost every subject, whether it is refusing to increase nurse's pay in the North while wanting to increase it in the South, or their two-faced approach to property taxes and social welfare or most disgustingly, their excusing of their own sins in so many different areas. Is Paddy Holohan still swanning around as a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Rather difficult to ‘argue’ with someone who has thrown stones through windows in the past criticizing you for throwing stones through windows in the present, euphemistically speaking.

You don’t really have much credibility.

Be kinda difficult to take it if a Garda for instance,arrests you for being ‘found on a premises’ when you saw him/her in the same premises after hours and off duty last week.

That’s how it rolls, a chara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Rather difficult to ‘argue’ with someone who has thrown stones through windows in the past criticizing you for throwing stones through windows in the present, euphemistically speaking.

You don’t really have much credibility.

Be kinda difficult to take it if a Garda for instance,arrests you for being ‘found on a premises’ when you saw him/her in the same premises after hours and off duty last week.

That’s how it rolls, a chara.

Agree Brendan, except it's more like someone criticising you for throwing stones at a window, but only because you were helping the owner who lost his keys to get in to their house.

All the while the person criticising you has been convicted of throwing stones at a window, breaking in to a house and blowing out the kneecaps of the teenage boy who lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

One thing I have noticed here is that many posters are claiming outrageous things that they have absolutely no proof of.

From editorial interfere and control of RTE, the Irish Times, from the corrupt awarding of state contracts, to political interfere into a Garda investigation.

All of which are claimed and stated, with no proof to back any of this.
    So, ill ask again, what proof do people have or are they just going down the Trumpian levels of 'preception is my reality' type of logic.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Was driving home today had Newstalk on. They flagged the story on their drive time show but didn’t address it until about 18:45. Unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable. RTE? Clare Byrne trying to help MacNeill to dampen down the SF spokesperson Matt Carthy. Shocking stuff.

Why is Varadkar deemed untouchable?
    jmcc wrote: »
    Even RTE's blatant cheerleading for Varadkar is not helping.

smurgen wrote: »
    wife of former Goldman Sachs director, whose family miraculous got the handsanitizer contract and then gave a defective product to the schools.
    golfball37 wrote: »
    RTÉ spent more time on some no mark sf td tweeting about the Provo’s the same time the Tanaistes ethics were shown up to be not of the standard required.
    For me that’s not normal anyway.

shafty100 wrote: »
    care to explain why the irish times and rte who were contacted by the village magazine in relation to the varadkar leak refused to cover the story ?

With the political interference already gone on its going to be tough.

I don't believe for a second the DPP would have the cajones to charge Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Varadkar sounded shook on Newstalk. Also saying the incoming justice minister commenting on the case didn't matter because she wasn't the minister yet. What a shambles. I wouldn't trust these lads to run a corner shop for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I despise their rank hypocrisy on almost every subject, whether it is refusing to increase nurse's pay in the North while wanting to increase it in the South, or their two-faced approach to property taxes and social welfare or most disgustingly, their excusing of their own sins in so many different areas. Is Paddy Holohan still swanning around as a member?

The exact same can be said about FG and FF as well. It is just your obvious hatred for SF and you blind loyalty to FFG that you can't see how you are no different to SF no different at all and that you and your attitude to anyone who dares questions FG mainly are driving a lot of people to considering SF who would never have done so in the past. The only people to lay the blame at if SF do get into power are the FG, FF and Green party's and supporters like you who are willing to argue over dots on i or crosses on t's just out of hatred.

As Bannasidhe has said why are FFG party's and supporters continuing with this 'Whataboutery' on SF? Why not defend the actions of the party's in government instead of saying look over there at what they did? I have said before that I voted FG, for my sins in 2011, but they literally threw back in face with their behavior in government when they were elected and since then I will not give them a vote, nor have I forgiven what FF did to this country either, SF still have a lot of work to do before I would consider them but I am disgusted at the behavior of FG and FF in this government, it has been appalling from the start and has shown at no stage of improving.

Defend it all you want call me all the name you want such as a Shinner, part of the permanently outraged or special needs but that it is not going to change my opinion of this government all that is going to do is make me look for alternatives.

I guess some people are sick of the blatant hypocrisy. The issue with Gerry Adams and his arrest and investigation into the murder and kidnapping of Jean McConville was well documented and was covered yesterday by numerous programs. If SF and other political parties in the Dail were not asking for Gerry Adams to step down as leader of SF then, while the PSNI concluded their investigation, into, let's be fair a far far more serious matter, then why now should Leo have to step aside for this investigation?

People are right to call out this hypocrisy, IMO.

markodaly wrote: »
    I guess some people are sick of the blatant hypocrisy. The issue with Gerry Adams and his arrest and investigation into the murder and kidnapping of Jean McConville was well documented and was covered yesterday by numerous programs. If SF and other political parties in the Dail were not asking for Gerry Adams to step down as leader of SF then, while the PSNI concluded their investigation, into, let's be fair a far far more serious matter, then why now should Leo have to step aside for this investigation?

People are right to call out this hypocrisy, IMO.

As people are right to call out the hypocrisy of FG it works both ways but you can't or more than likely don't want to see that. Also constantly bringing Northern Ireland into every single thread just to take things off topic or deflect from what the thread is about is not working either. Deal with the issues in this state first. I have no interest what goes on in Northern Ireland, i do care about what happens in this state and the behavior of the partys in Dail Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Absolutely none of that tells me something that isn't already abundantly clear nor does it answer the question I asked.

Doesn't even attempt to answer the question I asked.

It's a rant about SF.

Which is a kind of answer I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Agree Brendan, except it's more like someone criticising you for throwing stones at a window, but only because you were helping the owner who lost his keys to get in to their house.

All the while the person criticising you has been convicted of throwing stones at a window, breaking in to a house and blowing out the kneecaps of the teenage boy who lived there.

Weird analogy, did the IRA leak many documents before kneecapping or is it your position that once the current government don't get involved with an illegal army they can do what they like.

Floppybits wrote: »
    As people are right to call out the hypocrisy of FG

If you can link us to any article where by FG at the time, asked for Gerry Adams to step aside, then you would be right. However, afaik, they didn't do this, hence the hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Varadkar sounded shook on Newstalk. Also saying the incoming justice minister commenting on the case didn't matter because she wasn't the minister yet. What a shambles. I wouldn't trust these lads to run a corner shop for me.

Well put it this way, putting aside the Varadkar element of this. Say that a minister for justice, or soon to be minister for justice, commented in such a way on an ongoing criminal investigation into someone not involved in politics. How could that not be interfering in a criminal investigation? And if it ever went to trial, how could there be a fair trial? There would be hell to pay.

I think this is worse than Varadkar's leak. I'm reminded of what was said about Watergate, that it was the cover up that was criminal.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,747 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Weird analogy, did the IRA leak many documents before kneecapping...

Isn’t it estimated that half of the senior figures within the IRA were paid informants for the the Crown?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Surely because she has already said she fully supports Varadkar when/if she does become Justice minister she wouldn't be seen to be acting in a fair manner....
      She should be excused from the Justice ministry post....

Surely because she has already said she fully supports Varadkar when/if she does become Justice minister she wouldn't be seen to be acting in a fair manner....
        She should be excused from the Justice ministry post....

But the problem is that all the TD's in FF, FG and Greens have voted confidence in Varadkar and all 3 parties have said they fully support him so it doesn't matter who they appoint as interim Justice Minister, all could be seen as not acting in a fair manner. However Humphries needs to questioned and asked to clarify her comments where she seemed to imply that it is ok to commit a crime as long as it is in the interests of the state. This will set a dangerous precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

The above is precisely the reason why you and many others in the thread are completely incapable of looking at what Varadkar has done objectively. It's embarrassing.

Floppybits wrote: »
        The exact same can be said about FG and FF as well. It is just your obvious hatred for SF and you blind loyalty to FFG that you can't see how you are no different to SF no different at all and that you and your attitude to anyone who dares questions FG mainly are driving a lot of people to considering SF who would never have done so in the past. The only people to lay the blame at if SF do get into power are the FG, FF and Green party's and supporters like you who are willing to argue over dots on i or crosses on t's just out of hatred.

As Bannasidhe has said why are FFG party's and supporters continuing with this 'Whataboutery' on SF? Why not defend the actions of the party's in government instead of saying look over there at what they did? I have said before that I voted FG, for my sins in 2011, but they literally threw back in face with their behavior in government when they were elected and since then I will not give them a vote, nor have I forgiven what FF did to this country either, SF still have a lot of work to do before I would consider them but I am disgusted at the behavior of FG and FF in this government, it has been appalling from the start and has shown at no stage of improving.

Defend it all you want call me all the name you want such as a Shinner, part of the permanently outraged or special needs but that it is not going to change my opinion of this government all that is going to do is make me look for alternatives.

The exact same cannot be said of FF and FG, as they are not simultaneously following two different policies in two different jurisdictions.

I see they didn't vote in favour of same-sex marriage in the Assembly last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The above is precisely the reason why you and many others in the thread are completely incapable of looking at what Varadkar has done objectively. It's embarrassing.

Well, if you want to look at things objectively, then acknowledge that SF is only trying to pull this stunt now knowing full well that the Garda / DPP investigation is going to end up concluding that no crime was committed.

If they are so sure otherwise, then why not wait and use the political capital with an actual charge behind it? I saw Matt Carty on TV trying to suggest that they are making a political charge as if there is such an actual thing or try to convince some of their dumber supporters that such a thing exists.

What this is, is SF continuing their tradition of kangaroo court trials.

• Advertisement

I must have been listening to a different interview. He came across very well. He hasn’t been spoken to or even been approached by the Gardai, yet MaryLou wants him sacked! Just shows where her priorities lie. Not with a country reeling under Covid restrictions. Nor Brexit.

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement