Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

SmokyMo wrote: »
    As Non-Irish person looking in.. I find it bizarre that people use IRA actions as an argument against SF. Weren't FF / FG complicit in helping catholic church to cover up murders/deaths of 10 000 + babies and children as recent as few decades ago?

If anyone can explain this to me, that would be much appreciated.

It's desperation. Rather than discuss current affairs, they need drag up incidents, which of course opens them up too to past events, but as I say, desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I am an Irish Citizen who moved back here in 1996. My father was an FF supporter. So when I voted in 1997 and 2002 I voted FF. In 2005 I changed my constituency in Dublin and I knew that FF was ****ing up the country. I saw one of my local councilors appeared to be very active so I gave Lucinda Creighton my only vote with no second, third, or fourth preferences.

In 2011 I knew I could not vote FF, FG, or Labour so I voted independent, Paul Sommerville and Dylan Haskins. in 2016 I voted Social Democrats. in the last election, I voted SF and then SD. I did not want what we now have in power.

We need a change in this country, where we can have a government with no ties to big business, banks, finance, and the Judiciary. If SF **** can they **** up as bad as FF, FG and labour have down the years? If they do a bad job we vote them out. Why are people scared of them being in government when for the past 100 years we have had shysters all out for themselves and their pals.

Why are people so readily willing to vote for a party that bankrupted the country and for a party whose members jump ship to become lobbyists?

To those of you who bring up SF's track record in the north, you conveniently forget to mention that their hands are tied because they are in coalition with the DUP.

FF has had 2 TD's rightly resign over Golfgate so it's not too much for Leo to step aside until the Gardai investigation is complete. If the Gardai conclude Leo has nothing to answer for he can go right back in as Taniste and the government portfolios he had.

Leo is arrogant and will never do the right thing until he is forced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

SmokyMo wrote: »
    As Non-Irish person looking in.. I find it bizarre that people use IRA actions as an argument against SF. Weren't FF / FG complicit in helping catholic church to cover up murders/deaths of 10 000 + babies and children as recent as few decades ago?

If anyone can explain this to me, that would be much appreciated.
    Irish politics was, for years, dominated by the two main parties of FF and FG with a second party called Labour that used to make up the numbers for a coalition government. The coalition governments used to bounce between being led by FF or FG. That 2.5 party model began to break down. All during that time, SF struggled to even get a single candidate elected and generally only got less than 5% of the vote in General Elections. Once the Troubles were over and the Good Friday Agreement was signed, support for SF started to grow. Support for Labour peaked in 2011 but it was highly abnormal due to the Bank bailouts and the collapse of FF support. Labour proved to be even more Right-wing than FG when in government with FG. This led to the number of Labour seats collapsing from 37 in 2011 to 7 in 2016 and it only won 6 seats in the 2020 GE. SF had moved into the Left and centre Left part of the political spectrum that had been deserted by Labour and FF. In the 2020 GE, this left FF,FG and Labour competing for the centre Right and Right vote while leaving the centre Left and Left vote largely to SF. SF managed to win the same number of seats as FG and won more seats than FG. FG keeps bringing up the Troubles despite the GFA having been signed in 1998 and that's almost a generation ago now.

Others point out that FG has its own dark past with a faction of FG fighting in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) on the same side as the Nazis (the Blueshirts). It also wasn't helped by one of its TDs praising Hitler's actions against the Jews. His son is also an FG TD and wanted to commemorate the Black and Tans and Auxillaries (British terrorists in the Irish War of Independence) who were members of the Royal Irish Constabulary (an armed British paramilitary force that was used to police Ireland). This directly led to FG going from 30% in the opinion polls in late 2019 to getting 20% in the February 2020 GE. FG has a history of poor leadership choices. FG often claim to be the party of Micheal Collins (one of the main leaders in the Irish War of Independence) but he was long dead when Fine Gael was formed.

SF has more seats than FG and has more support. Now it has a leader (Varadkar) who has admitted to leaking a confidential document to a friend. SF, being the main opposition party is relentless in pursuit of Varadkar and FG over this. FF and the Greens cannot say anything because they are in government with FG. So FGers keep trying to bring up the Troubles and the actions of the PIRA during that time to distract people.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I am an Irish Citizen who moved back here in 1996. My father was an FF supporter. So when I voted in 1997 and 2002 I voted FF. In 2005 I changed my constituency in Dublin and I knew that FF was ****ing up the country. I saw one of my local councilors appeared to be very active so I gave Lucinda Creighton my only vote with no second, third, or fourth preferences.

In 2011 I knew I could not vote FF, FG, or Labour so I voted independent, Paul Sommerville and Dylan Haskins. in 2016 I voted Social Democrats. in the last election, I voted SF and then SD. I did not want what we now have in power.

We need a change in this country, where we can have a government with no ties to big business, banks, finance, and the Judiciary. If SF **** can they **** up as bad as FF, FG and labour have down the years? If they do a bad job we vote them out. Why are people scared of them being in government when for the past 100 years we have had shysters all out for themselves and their pals.

Why are people so readily willing to vote for a party that bankrupted the country and for a party whose members jump ship to become lobbyists?

To those of you who bring up SF's track record in the north, you conveniently forget to mention that their hands are tied because they are in coalition with the DUP.

FF has had 2 TD's rightly resign over Golfgate so it's not too much for Leo to step aside until the Gardai investigation is complete. If the Gardai conclude Leo has nothing to answer for he can go right back in as Taniste and the government portfolios he had.

In my opinion you have a lot to learn......... sorry to burst your bubble.

Things get done with folk trusting your leadership, paying your debts, and looking after the people who employ people, take the risks, keep the SMEs happy.

The alternative is a bunch of idealists who just want a UI and they don’t give a toss how the folk of Middle Ireland get on.

These people want everyone struggling, the harder you work the more you pay in taxes to prop up those who do nothing to advance themselves, those who depend on the State cradle to grave.

That’s how it will pan out folks...if SF get into power... make no mistake about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Things get done with folk trusting your leadership, paying your debts, and looking after the people who employ people, take the risks, keep the SMEs happy.

The alternative is a bunch of idealists who just want a UI and they don’t give a toss how the folk of Middle Ireland get on.

These people want everyone struggling, the harder you work the more you pay in taxes to prop up those who do nothing to advance themselves, those who depend on the State cradle to grave.

That’s how it will pan out folks...if SF get into power... make no mistake about that.

Ah yes those who work hard are so well rewarded currently right?

Massive taxes, a health system on its knees for all of my life, sky high rents, mortgages that will saddle anyone capable of getting them with a massive debt for life. The elderly being forced to work on longer into their golden years then to sign their homes over to nursing homes to see them out.

So great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

We know that and Leo Varadkar is their single biggest usp and vote getter. The amount of people I know who voted sf last year was scary, their backgrounds and families were all fg in the main. Why can’t the membership see what he is doing to the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

costacorta wrote: »
    I’d say Stakeknife was changing a lot of documents before he ordered the kneecapping and murders to make sure Gerry wasn’t suspicious of him .

the ira kept documentation? - thats hilarious :pac::pac::D:D

markodaly wrote: »
    I guess some people are sick of the blatant hypocrisy. The issue with Gerry Adams and his arrest and investigation into the murder and kidnapping of Jean McConville was well documented and was covered yesterday by numerous programs. If SF and other political parties in the Dail were not asking for Gerry Adams to step down as leader of SF then, while the PSNI concluded their investigation, into, let's be fair a far far more serious matter, then why now should Leo have to step aside for this investigation?

People are right to call out this hypocrisy, IMO.

theres a difference in being accused of something, then investigated and proven to be innocent than doing actually something that you admit to, then having the legality of doing it being investigated .

Isn’t it estimated that half of the senior figures within the IRA were paid informants for the the Crown?

back to the age old question - were the brits fighting themselves then?

Clearly not so that alone says a lot about that bit of propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 27,668 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

markodaly wrote: »
    So, that in essence is a very long admission that, No, there is no proof that FG/Leo/Da Gubermnet have editorial control over any media outlet.

Remember, I asked for proof, not long winded storytelling.

Fairy tales and conspiracy theories are probably the lowest form of storytelling.

• Advertisement

skimpydoo wrote: »

So Michelle O'Neill couldn't resign when she was under PSNI investigation (I think she still is) because SF's hands are tied because they are in coalition with the DUP.

Of all the bizarre excuses in the world........

blanch152 wrote: »
    So Michelle O'Neill couldn't resign when she was under PSNI investigation (I think she still is) because SF's hands are tied because they are in coalition with the DUP.

Of all the bizarre excuses in the world........

different ballgame.

the legality of Leo's leaking of info is being investigated by AGS.

Leo openly admitted to handing over the document

O'Neill's investigation by the PSNI (assuming you means last Junes covid claims at the funeral and the one where by Nov 2020 they hadnt even interviewed her) was completed and send to the PPS last December.

O'Neill disputes the claim she broke Covid 19 restrictions.

Those are not the same so I don't see why you pretend they are.

maccored wrote: »
    different ballgame.

O'Neill's investigation by the PSNI (assuming you means last Junes covid claims at the funeral and the one where by Nov 2020 they hadnt even interviewed her) was completed and send to the PPS last December.

I do. Desperation and deflection. The usual.

I do. Desperation and deflection. The usual.

well - besides that (its a given at this stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

maccored wrote: »
    different ballgame.

Oh so she disputes them even though we all seen the TV shots and photographs but I. Suppose she denies that’s her in photos 😀.
    Then you have Gerry denying he was a member of the RA even though half his former comrades have come out and said he was !!

Ye guys are the gift that keep on giving and that’s why nobody cares or takes SF/IRA seriously..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Just keeps getting worse for him optics wise.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1371855099929235461?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Rather difficult to ‘argue’ with someone who has thrown stones through windows in the past criticizing you for throwing stones through windows in the present, euphemistically speaking.

You don’t really have much credibility.

Be kinda difficult to take it if a Garda for instance,arrests you for being ‘found on a premises’ when you saw him/her in the same premises after hours and off duty last week.

That’s how it rolls, a chara.

So finally, your admitting Leo committed a crime.

Well done Brendo lad, wasn't that hard was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Quite extraordinary MM refusing to deal with this, I get he's terrified of collapsing Government but its just shocking that any government minister would be permitted to serve whilst they are being criminally investigated, I guess it says more about Leaky Leo who seems oblivious as to how this looks. The Bizzare argument he gives is He has Legal advice he's done nothing illegal or wrong (but yet he's on record apologising) , I would have thought that's for the DPP to decide and Jury to deliberate on should a prosecution be advised. It's a bit like the lotto saying "it could be you" when it never actually is.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So finally, your admitting Leo committed a crime.

Well done Brendo lad, wasn't that hard was it?

Where did I admit Leo committed a crime..... dude there’s a Garda investigation going on here..... let’s wIt for the outcome.

Stop dreaming dude.

Oh so she disputes them even though we all seen the TV shots and photographs but I. Suppose she denies that’s her in photos ��.
    Then you have Gerry denying he was a member of the RA even though half his former comrades have come out and said he was !!

Ye guys are the gift that keep on giving and that’s why nobody cares or takes SF/IRA seriously..

'cept the electorate.
    Still hurts I see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The electorate voted to give SF more seats than FG. If they don't take SF seriously then what does that say about your beloved FG?

Regards...jmcc

'cept the electorate.
    Still hurts I see...

Only ones I see hurting Is the Shinnerbots as nobody would be bothered with them and now they are where they will stay in opposition .

Michael and Leo Will run the country while Mary The Moaner does what she does best ..

Enjoy next few years and keep up the keyboard warrior work you do for your beloved SF/IRA

Only ones I see hurting Is the Shinnerbots as nobody would be bothered with them and now they are where they will stay in opposition .

Michael and Leo Will run the country while Mary The Moaner tries does what she does best ..

Enjoy next few years and keep up the keyboard warrior work you do for your beloved SF/IRA

Look at the thread title. Then look at your comments.
    Now, what were you saying? :D

Wanting Varadkar held accountable should be the goal of all parties. But if you want to believe it's only shinners...whatever works.

Look at the thread title. Then look at your comments.
    Now, what were you saying? :D

Wanting Varadkar held accountable should be the goal of all parties. But if you want to believe it's only shinners...whatever works.

Yep you’re right there so let the Garda do their job and don’t be listening to Mary the moaner . Wait for the Garda to make a decision and if he is found guilty then yes he should go .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yep you’re right there so let the Garda do their job and don’t be listening to Mary the moaner . Wait for the Garda to make a decision and if he is found guilty then yes he should go .

Do you mind having a bit of respect for our opposition leader please?

Don’t understand why personal attacks on Varadkar are policed but not attacks on opposition.

I for one am happy somebody is highlighting the cabal.

No need to call her Mary the moaner, could be interpreted as misogyny.

That being said, your main point stands. Why Martin would bother his arse responding to a letter from Mary-Lou is beyond me. She has no idea how to build relationships with other politicians and political parties. Not a single clue. That is why all other parties shunned her after the election and Martin can just disregard her.

Crying and whinging when he refuses to answer her letter is loser speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭Floppybits

No need to call her Mary the moaner, could be interpreted as misogyny.

That being said, your main point stands. Why Martin would bother his arse responding to a letter from Mary-Lou is beyond me. She has no idea how to build relationships with other politicians and political parties. Not a single clue. That is why all other parties shunned her after the election and Martin can just disregard her.

Crying and whinging when he refuses to answer her letter is loser speak.

Is it or is it showing the public what an arrogant person he is? I suppose it depends on the view point, me I would see as the leader of the country being arrogant and unprofessional and someone out of his depth. Basically rather than face up to the issue he has gone into hiding and hoping this all goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

As much as I would, on that I see it was an attempt at blowing back their own BS on SF voters. But I haven't ever seen or hear them cry that. Only one party crying sexism, misogyny, racism, ageism, homophobic etc. When unable to deal with anything else.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Is it or is it showing the public what an arrogant person he is? I suppose it depends on the view point, me I would see as the leader of the country being arrogant and unprofessional and someone out of his depth. Basically rather than face up to the issue he has gone into hiding and hoping this all goes away.

Trivial person writing to Taoiseach in trivial terms about a trivial issue gets a suitably trivial response. Why would anyone be surprised by that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Trivial person writing to Taoiseach in trivial terms about a trivial issue gets a suitably trivial response. Why would anyone be surprised by that?

I am glad you see a member of the government being under criminal investigation as trivial. It shall be remember when you come on here moaning, complaining and looking for resignation over 3 year old tweets. You seem to make stupid tweets a higher priority than the Tainiste of the country leaking confidential documents to his mates. I know you have a Hatred for Sinn Fein and anything that does not conform to what you want but still at some stage you will have to climb down off that high horse you love to preach from and admit what Varadkar has done has serious implications.

The arrogance from you astounding. Absolutely astounding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement