Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yes, based on facts.

What facts?
    Show us these 'facts' where FG or Leo or the government exercise editorial control over the Irish Times or RTE.

I would suggest it's an opinion ..

Oh, so now its not a fact, merely an opinion, an unproven one at that and these false.

OK, good to know at least you have nothing to back up your statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

markodaly wrote: »
    What facts?
    Show us these 'facts' where FG or Leo or the government exercise editorial control over the Irish Times or RTE.

Oh, so now its not a fact, merely an opinion, an unproven one at that and these false.

Mark Tighe reported in The Times in August of last year, that a representative of Denis o brien had rang someone in INM to take "whatever steps are reasonably necessary" to prevent a story about Phil hogan being printed in that weekends independent.

Denis o brien is fine gaels sugar daddy, as was seen with all the "deals" he did with Michael lowry etc and the massive amounts of money he donates to the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What facts?

If you read back its all there. Not reposting chief.
    I'd stated an opinion based on the facts. Thats how people roll.
    Seriously you are looking foolish. Best read back before trying to get involved.
    The opinion referenced wasn't even mine :D

If you read back its all there. Not reposting chief.

I did read back and no, there is no proof available or posted to support the claim that FG/Leo/Government have editorial control over RTE or the Irish Times.
    None.
    Nada.
    Not a bit.
    Zilch.
    Zero.
    Not any....

Stop trying to 'pretend' something was posted or happened when you know well that its fairytales.

You can of course remove all doubt by posting up some proof. Otherwise, we are all aware of the fact that there is none available.

Mark Tighe reported in The Times in August of last year, that a representative of Denis o brien had rang someone in INM to take "whatever steps are reasonably necessary" to prevent a story about Phil hogan being printed in that weekends independent.

Care to link to this story?

massive amounts of money he donates to the party.

That isn't true at all by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

jmcc wrote: »
    This is a live criminal investigation into the activities of one Leo Varadkar who was taoiseach and admitted leaking a confidential document to his friend. The results of the Garda investigation will be submitted to the DPP. Your leader is the subject of a criminal investigation. He's not quite the honourable FG type, is he? Otherwise he would have had the decency to have stood down while being investigated.

Regards...jmcc

Why didn't Mary Lou demand Gerry Adams stand down while the PSNI arrested him and were investigating him re a crime: Jean McConville’s murder in 2014?
    Double standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Anyone saying there was no material benefit in the action of sharing the document needs to read this letter.
    That is a very clear and specific threat to Fine Gael and by extension Leo.

Sharing the document was clearly intended to diffuse this threat.

The fact it's even being debated shows how corruption is endemic.

https://twitter.com/pohara/status/1372155473034612740?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Why didn't Mary Lou demand Gerry Adams stand down while the PSNI arrested him and were investigating him re a crime: Jean McConville’s murder in 2014?
    Double standards?

There's some fairly obvious differences in the two scenario's.

Adams denied any involvement in the Jean Mcconville saga (and was subsequently deemed to have no case to answer), whereas Leo has admitted to his actions - hence why the investigation was upgraded to a criminal one, and charges might be forthcoming.

Also, it goes back to the well used analogy - would you leave a carer in charge of your elderly parents or your kids if they were accused of beating them?

The real double standards here are why others resigned for misleading the Dail, and Leo hasn't. The most comparable example of course being the last FG Tanaiste (justice minister at the time) who resigned for misleading the Dail.

Leo thinks he's of different stock though apparently.

Obviously there's the little fact that Michaél was threatening to bring down the govt last time if the Tanaiste didn't walk. This time Michaél knows if the Tanaiste walks, the govt will also likely be brought down but the polls aren't friends of his own or his coalition partners right now.

Party before country..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McMurphy wrote: »
    There's some fairly obvious differences in the two scenario's.

Adams denied any involvement in the Jean Mcconville saga (and was subsequently deemed to have no case to answer), whereas Leo has admitted to his actions - hence why the investigation was upgraded to a criminal one, and charges might be forthcoming.

Also, it goes back to the well used analogy - would you leave a carer in charge of your elderly parents or your kids if they were accused of beating them?

The real double standards here are why others resigned for misleading the Dail, and Leo hasn't. The most comparable example of course being the last FG Tanaiste (justice minister at the time) who resigned for misleading the Dail.

Leo thinks he's of different stock though apparently.

Obviously there's the little fact that Michaél was threatening to bring down the govt last time if the Tanaiste didn't walk. This time Michaél knows if the Tanaiste walks, the govt will also likely be brought down but the polls aren't friends of his own or his coalition partners right now.

Party before country..

I think Michael has more on his plate for the running of this country rather than worrying whether LV ‘walks’ or not.

Some folk actually have a genuine concern for their country dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I think Michael has more on his plate for the running of this country rather than worrying whether LV ‘walks’ or not.

The vast majority have a genuine concern for their country dude, that's why they didn't vote for Leo and his team at the last election.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,620 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The vast majority have a genuine concern for their country dude, that's why they didn't vote for Leo and his team at the last election.

The fact that 78% got FG anyway will have a bearing on future elections if this 'coalescing' to maintain the power is going to be a thing.
    Will the electorate put up with the lying about 'not going into coalition with x' or 'would you put John Delaney back in control of the FAI' rhetoric?

Hmmmm........ wonder why they are in Govt. then ?

I must have slept through the coup when no one would touch the alleged ‘winners’

Why would no one touch them with a forty foot pole ?

Has me fierce puzzelated,so it has.

Any ideas, Bub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It's quite apparent he has too much on his plate when it comes to running this country. Worst ever.

Hmmmm........ wonder why they are in Govt. then ?

I must have slept through the coup when no one would touch the alleged ‘winners’

Why would no one touch them with a forty foot pole ?

Has me fierce puzzelated,so it has.

Any ideas, Bub.

Because it would have meant the end of the power swap/control Brendi. That is why they didn't.
    Michael did the usual stock thing that FG and FF have done since the foundation of the state. He pretended/lied that he wouldn't coalesce with anyone, then when the count began and it looked like he would have a 50+ majority and would be the largest party he opened the door to SF...then shut it again when it turned out they wouldn't get those seat numbers after all and that he might not get the first go at being Taoiseach.

Cynical all day long. And he fooled very few but the most blinkered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Must be the only government in the world that wants to keep Covid going,

Maybe - but does that not prove my point?

He was quite prepared for the last govt to collapse over Fitzgerald resigning, her fate and the running of the country was in his hands.

Will be interesting to learn what this whistleblower has said in his or her protective disclosure Brenner, AGS definitely think whatever it is, and whatever Simon told them is worth looking at.

Surely must be unprecedented to have a past Taoiseach, sitting Tanaiste to be a suspect in a criminal investigation.

Months and months of entertainment to look forward to with this one horse. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Must be the only government in the world that wants to keep Covid going,

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Double standards?

Adams claimed he was innocent.
    Varadkar confessed.

Adams claimed he was innocent.
    Varadkar confessed.

I don't think anyone has asked that Varadkar step aside from leading FG either. Many hope FG are going to keep him as leader I would suspect.

I don't think anyone has asked that Varadkar step aside from leading FG either. Many hope FG are going to keep him as leader I would suspect.

Oh definitely, and I hope that he leads them into any new election also, his last achievement in that regard was outstanding.

Think his performance was only topped by one other leader, second worst election result for FG since the party was formed.

There's a record still to be broken Leo. Go for it chief.

• Advertisement

The fact that 78% got FG anyway will have a bearing on future elections if this 'coalescing' to maintain the power is going to be a thing.
    Will the electorate put up with the lying about 'not going into coalition with x' or 'would you put John Delaney back in control of the FAI' rhetoric?

We have been there before.
    75% didn't vote for SF yet they claim to have 'won' the election.

Ireland has had coalition governments since 1977. It will always be thus, so spouting off percentages like that as if they mean anything is just foolish.

Ireland has had coalition governments since 1977. It will always be thus, so spouting off percentages like that as if they mean anything is just foolish.

SF got the largest vote that any party got in the election. No amount of standing on your head is going to change that fact. If you wish to see the election as a competition then they 'won' it, hands down.

Ireland has never had a 'coalition' like the present one. You can stand on your head about that one as well. Everybody else has accepted that it is unique.

The point is, if it emerges that it doesn't matter if you vote FF or FG, you are going to get them both, I think that will factor hugely in people's choices in the electoral booths and we will see that vote share, which has declined from a high of 86% falling even more into the mid to low 30%'s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

FF won 84 seats in 1977, not a coalition

SF got the largest vote that any party got in the election. No amount of standing on your head is going to change that fact. If you wish to see the election as a competition then they 'won' it, hands down.

And?
    We have had many instances where the largest party didn't go into government, mainly FF. This has been a feature of our politics for decades. Ignore it if you want, but the largest party doesn't get a 'right' to be in government. That is not how our constitution works. Again, you should really get grips with the basics of how the Dail works.

FF won 84 seats in 1977, not a coalition

Sorry, I should have said after 1977, not since. You get the point. 1977 was the last time we had a single-party government, and likely ever will be the last time.

And?
    We have had many instances where the largest party didn't go into government, mainly FF. This has been a feature of our politics for decades. Ignore it if you want, but the largest party doesn't get a 'right' to be in government. That is not how our constitution works. Again, you should really get grips with the basics of how the Dail works.

Nobody ever claimed there was a 'right'.

You guys keep inventing things that are said.

Maybe - but does that not prove my point?

He was quite prepared for the last govt to collapse over Fitzgerald resigning, her fate and the running of the country was in his hands.

Will be interesting to learn what this whistleblower has said in his or her protective disclosure Brenner, AGS definitely think whatever it is, and whatever Simon told them is worth looking at.

Surely must be unprecedented to have a past Taoiseach, sitting Tanaiste to be a suspect in a criminal investigation.

Months and months of entertainment to look forward to with this one horse. ;)

I think you are going to be a bit disappointed Randle.

I wouldn’t be looking at stuff like that for entertainment, shaft, get out and get a bit of fresh air after the few days holiday you had.

It will do you good..........:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

Sorry, I should have said after 1977, not since. You get the point. 1977 was the last time we had a single-party government, and likely ever will be the last time.

That’s not accurate either. Coalition is defined by more than one grouping represented in cabinet . Pretty sure we had a Haughey govt that was propped up by Tony Gregory and few indos for voting purposes. Not that it matters coalitions are here for eternity

I think you are going to be a bit disappointed Randle.

I wouldn’t be looking at stuff like that for entertainment, shaft, get out and get a bit of fresh air after the few days holiday you had.

It will do you good..........:cool:

To be added to the other accurate predictions in this thread, such as:

Will be forgotten about in a few weeks.
    Already in the public domain.
    Zero craic not really a friend.
    The document wasn't confidential.
    Leo was supreme leader, he could authorise himself to release it.
    No personal advantage to him passing it to his bud.
    The guards are not investigating Leo Varadkar.
    It's a preliminary report.
    Debbie McCann not a reputable source.
    Not a criminal investigation.

Noted.

I'll keep it in the back pocket with all those other gems bren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,406 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

To be added to the other accurate predictions in this thread, such as:

Will be forgotten about in a few weeks.
    Already in the public domain.
    Zero craic not really a friend.
    The document wasn't confidential.
    Leo was supreme leader, he could authorise himself to release it.
    No personal advantage to him passing it to his bud.
    The guards are not investigating Leo Varadkar.
    It's a preliminary report.
    Debbie McCann not a reputable source.
    Not a criminal investigation.

Noted.

I'll keep it in the back pocket with all those other gems bren.

to be fair with the time dilation effects that the lockdown seems to produce it may only be a few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement