Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

McMurphy wrote: »
    The photo where zero craic and Leo are posing in front of well known pacifist, and in no way shape or form, "terrorist" Michael Collins, was certainly not in the public domain until very recently.

I'd imagine it was a real "oh shît" moment when that one surfaced. :eek:

Very recently? That photo has been around for over 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Very recently? That photo has been around for over 4 months.

First I seen it was December, weeks after Leo claimed he was a friend but not really a friend.

Any link to an earlier version by any chance bubs?

First I seen it was December, weeks after Leo claimed he was a friend but not really a friend.

Any link to an earlier version by any chance bubs?

Here you are from mid November. I know time passes differently for everyone, but I wouldn't consider 4 months ago as "very recently" for a story that broke just a short time before that.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1329119009116139520?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Here you are from mid November. I know time passes differently for everyone, but I wouldn't consider 4 months ago as "very recently" for a story that broke just a short time before that.

Some people would say 18 days (the story broke on Nov 1) was a long time...depends on your view I suppose. In political terms last November is fairly recent if you want it to be.

Pedantic.

Some people would say 18 days (the story broke on Nov 1) was a long time...depends on your view I suppose. In political terms last November is fairly recent if you want it to be.

Pedantic.

I took the below post to mean it was a very recent development, which it clearly isn't if Village Magazine were posting it 4 months ago. If that isn't what McMurphy was suggesting then fair enough. I don't know what timeline would be needed for it to be seen as being in the public domain for a while though, before the story ever broke is it? I'd imagine it was in the public domain somewhere, on a twitter account perhaps, but given the story wasn't known until the story broke it wouldn't have been a particularly interesting photo to look at.
    The photo where zero craic and Leo are posing in front of well known pacifist, and in no way shape or form, "terrorist" Michael Collins, was certainly not in the public domain until very recently.

I'd imagine it was a real "oh shît" moment when that one surfaced. :eek:

• Advertisement

I took the below post to mean it was a very recent development, which it clearly isn't if Village Magazine were posting it 4 months ago. If that isn't what McMurphy was suggesting then fair enough. I don't know what timeline would be needed for it to be seen as being in the public domain for a while though, before the story ever broke is it? I'd imagine it was in the public domain somewhere, on a twitter account perhaps, but given the story wasn't known until the story broke it wouldn't have been a particularly interesting photo to look at.

The point is, it came out after Varadkar made his claim about the friendship and undermined that claim.

Very recently/shortly before/in the pipeline/going forward - figures of speech that can be pedantically debated in order to avoid confronting the point.

The point is, it came out after Varadkar made his claim about the friendship and undermined that claim.

Very recently/shortly before/in the pipeline/going forward - figures of speech that can be pedantically debated in order to avoid confronting the point.

I don't see how it undermined it, but I can see why it would for you. I would have plenty of photos with friends too.

Dec/November my bad (I obviously meant when the village published it though) however, it's still recently, and came to light after the initial story broke, if you want to get down to nitty gritty pedanticism, it was very recently after Leo claimed that

'Not a close friend' - Leo distances himself from GP he leaked to
    During an almost two-hour grilling, Mr Varadkar said a "big part" of the controversy was Dr Maitiú Ó Tuathail wrongly suggesting he has "special access" to the then Taoiseach.

Define "special access"?

Numerous photos, including one where he's wearing a campaign for Leo t-shirt, and one in the Taoiseach office for a selfie?

Possibly getting confidential documents couriered to you, no?

Yeah, I'm happy with fairly recently in that regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Dec/November my bad (I obviously meant when the village published it though) however, it's still recently, and came to light after the initial story broke, if you want to get down to nitty gritty pedanticism, it was very recently after Leo claimed that

'Not a close friend' - Leo distances himself from GP he leaked to

Define "special access"?

Numerous photos, including one where he's wearing a campaign for Leo t-shirt, and one in the Taoiseach office for a selfie?

Possibly getting confidential documents couriered to you, no?

Yeah, I'm happy with fairly recently in that regards.

That's not a photo, it's a digital representation, or can you show the negative? :rolleyes:

That's not a photo, it's a digital representation, or can you show the negative? :rolleyes:

It goes back to my original point which I won't let anyone pedant the hell out of it.

I repeat - I bet it was a real "oh shît"! moment when that surfaced farily recently after Leo claimed he was a friend, but not a friend, and zero craic definitely had no special access to him, no sirrreeeee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It goes back to my original point which I won't let anyone pedant the hell out of it.

I repeat - I bet it was a real "oh shît"! moment when that surfaced farily recently after Leo claimed he was a friend, but not a friend, and zero craic definitely had no special access to him, no sirrreeeee.

In the unlikely event Varadkar gets done there'll be much merriment to be had from all the online legal eagles telling us what 'criminality' actually means :D

Maybe it's the angle of the shot? :)

Maybe it's the angle of the shot? :)

Ah.... Those were the days......

Them two fg TDS aren't sitting close together on a park bench, they're far away...... Telescopic lens...... Angle and light you silly boy!

Such waffle. He's even half laughing when he's picked up on it.

Seems the FG line on and off Boards.ie is to make a claim about someone and when called out on it say it was your understanding. Pretty slick.

Great at 5mins in where she says she doesn't know why he keeps bringing it back to Sinn Fein, it's the issue of the Tánaiste being under criminal investigation :D

"If it was so available why couldn't the minister for health get a copy?" Classic.

Have a listen again, shortly after 5 mins in.....

Heydon "the hypocrisy of the Sinn Féin party here, is outstanding"

McInerney "Martin, I don't know why you're bringing it back to Sinn Féin, I want to talk about the investigation....."

Heydon "Ummm, because, because, because..... they're the ones laying the charge here"

McInerney "Dafuq you talkin about*, the Gardai are investigating, that's sweet eff all to do with Sinn Féin....."

*that bit isn't exactly what she said, but you can tell it's what she wanted to say. The whole "but Sinn Féin" is familiar to me...... No idea why.

Who thought it was a good idea to let him near a mic FFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ah.... Those were the days......

Them two fg TDS aren't sitting close together on a park bench, they're far away...... Telescopic lens...... Angle and light you silly boy!

Good thing they're not sitting on swings. Ahem...

Wonder if leak, I mean Leo tuned in, and if he did, wonder if he leaked, I mean liked it?

https://twitter.com/RTERadio1/status/1372959568993607682?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't see how it undermined it, but I can see why it would for you. I would have plenty of photos with friends too.

I have plenty of photos with people, who are not friends.

A photo means nothing in this case.

Asks posters to "produce pics"
    blanch152 wrote: »
    You can produce those pictures then, if you are not spoofing again.

Next post tells us......

So you just asked people to produce pics, which you pre-empted by suggesting, in your opinion they mean nothing anyway.

Well thought out argument all the same. :D

Are you assuming the role of barrister here?

The Gardai no doubt will be looking at how close the friendship was. Let's wait until they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Are you assuming the role of barrister here?

The Gardai no doubt will be looking at how close the friendship was. Let's wait until they do.

The dreams of many will be dashed when Leo springs free.

• Advertisement

The dreams of many will be dashed when Leo springs free.

Leo confessed, he'll never be free of it. FG might defend him but he has dobbed himself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

What are peoples thoughts, will this be the end of him politically after the investigation concludes? What's the most likely outcome in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts, will this be the end of him politically after the investigation concludes? What's the most likely outcome in your opinion?

It will come to nothing. This is Ireland pal. The likes of Leo do as they please. Pandering to big business and the elites, he has nothing but contempt for the ordinary man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It would be nice to see him fall, topped off then by the certain upheaval and damage which would then befall FF in their rush to shift blame elsewhere for their vote of confidence in him at Christmas.

Toss of a coin now on how this investigation will proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Wow are ye still on about this?

There have been no updates on this in.. how many months? Seven?

Last time I looked in here it was Sinn Fein canvassers saying that FrancisFitzGerald resigned, and consequently Varadkar should resign. It was a bizarre tangent that ignored legal aspects, moral aspects, whether FFG was found to have acted in good faith, and the dynamics of the main opposition party (Fianna Fail) threatening to bring down the government.

Now the Sinn Fein canvassers are trying to determine the friendship status of Varadkar and the doctor he leaked the document to. Again, this is entirely irrelevant. I think it's safe to classify them as friends, and for this to have influenced Varadkar's judgement. I find it unlikely that the doctor either paid Varadkar for the documents or was able to provide him payment in kind (such as providing a promotion, or other use of influence for personal gain for Varadkar). I personally assume that the Garda will do their job at least.

I don't actually expect Sinn Fein canvassers to do any investigative work on this matter, as they desperately try to keep the embers of this matter hot.

Which is curious really, when you would think they would focus on vaccinations, children's hospital development, housing, transport development delays, borrowing. All of these would probably require work though, and leaning on an article that was published the best part of a year ago doesn't require much work, so that's what they will lazily go to.

' But IRA'
    ' But GP local health provision draft agreement circulated with the GP union '

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Last time I looked in here it was Sinn Fein canvassers saying that FrancisFitzGerald resigned, and consequently Varadkar should resign. It was a bizarre tangent that ignored legal aspects, moral aspects, whether FFG was found to have acted in good faith, and the dynamics of the main opposition party (Fianna Fail) threatening to bring down the government.

Now the Sinn Fein canvassers are trying to determine the friendship status of Varadkar and the doctor he leaked the document to. Again, this is entirely irrelevant. I think it's safe to classify them as friends, and for this to have influenced Varadkar's judgement. I find it unlikely that the doctor either paid Varadkar for the documents or was able to provide him payment in kind (such as providing a promotion, or other use of influence for personal gain for Varadkar). I personally assume that the Garda will do their job at least.

I don't actually expect Sinn Fein canvassers to do any investigative work on this matter, as they desperately try to keep the embers of this matter hot.

Which is curious really, when you would think they would focus on vaccinations, children's hospital development, housing, transport development delays, borrowing. All of these would probably require work though, and leaning on an article that was published the best part of a year ago doesn't require much work, so that's what they will lazily go to.

' But IRA'

Gardai are investigating this. Not SF.

Have a listen again, shortly after 5 mins in.....

Heydon "the hypocrisy of the Sinn Féin party here, is outstanding"

McInerney "Martin, I don't know why you're bringing it back to Sinn Féin, I want to talk about the investigation....."

Heydon "Ummm, because, because, because..... they're the ones laying the charge here"

McInerney "Dafuq you talkin about*, the Gardai are investigating, that's sweet eff all to do with Sinn Féin....."

*that bit isn't exactly what she said, but you can tell it's what she wanted to say. The whole "but Sinn Féin" is familiar to me...... No idea why.

Who thought it was a good idea to let him near a mic FFS?

' But IRA'

Martin Heydon radio interview....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

At the very worst a cushy EU job. Probably nothing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

At the very worst a cushy EU job. Probably nothing though.
    He has form for leaking. Why hire a serial leaker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

skimpydoo wrote: »
    He has form for leaking. Why hire a serial leaker?

EU department of sieve regulation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement