Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts, will this be the end of him politically after the investigation concludes? What's the most likely outcome in your opinion?

It will come to nothing. This is Ireland pal. The likes of Leo do as they please. Pandering to big business and the elites, he has nothing but contempt for the ordinary man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What are peoples thoughts, will this be the end of him politically after the investigation concludes? What's the most likely outcome in your opinion?

It would be nice to see him fall, topped off then by the certain upheaval and damage which would then befall FF in their rush to shift blame elsewhere for their vote of confidence in him at Christmas.

Toss of a coin now on how this investigation will proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Wow are ye still on about this?

There have been no updates on this in.. how many months? Seven?

Last time I looked in here it was Sinn Fein canvassers saying that FrancisFitzGerald resigned, and consequently Varadkar should resign. It was a bizarre tangent that ignored legal aspects, moral aspects, whether FFG was found to have acted in good faith, and the dynamics of the main opposition party (Fianna Fail) threatening to bring down the government.

Now the Sinn Fein canvassers are trying to determine the friendship status of Varadkar and the doctor he leaked the document to. Again, this is entirely irrelevant. I think it's safe to classify them as friends, and for this to have influenced Varadkar's judgement. I find it unlikely that the doctor either paid Varadkar for the documents or was able to provide him payment in kind (such as providing a promotion, or other use of influence for personal gain for Varadkar). I personally assume that the Garda will do their job at least.

I don't actually expect Sinn Fein canvassers to do any investigative work on this matter, as they desperately try to keep the embers of this matter hot.

Which is curious really, when you would think they would focus on vaccinations, children's hospital development, housing, transport development delays, borrowing. All of these would probably require work though, and leaning on an article that was published the best part of a year ago doesn't require much work, so that's what they will lazily go to.

' But IRA'
    ' But GP local health provision draft agreement circulated with the GP union '

Last time I looked in here it was Sinn Fein canvassers saying that FrancisFitzGerald resigned, and consequently Varadkar should resign. It was a bizarre tangent that ignored legal aspects, moral aspects, whether FFG was found to have acted in good faith, and the dynamics of the main opposition party (Fianna Fail) threatening to bring down the government.

Now the Sinn Fein canvassers are trying to determine the friendship status of Varadkar and the doctor he leaked the document to. Again, this is entirely irrelevant. I think it's safe to classify them as friends, and for this to have influenced Varadkar's judgement. I find it unlikely that the doctor either paid Varadkar for the documents or was able to provide him payment in kind (such as providing a promotion, or other use of influence for personal gain for Varadkar). I personally assume that the Garda will do their job at least.

I don't actually expect Sinn Fein canvassers to do any investigative work on this matter, as they desperately try to keep the embers of this matter hot.

Which is curious really, when you would think they would focus on vaccinations, children's hospital development, housing, transport development delays, borrowing. All of these would probably require work though, and leaning on an article that was published the best part of a year ago doesn't require much work, so that's what they will lazily go to.

' But IRA'

Gardai are investigating this. Not SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

McMurphy wrote: »
    Have a listen again, shortly after 5 mins in.....

Heydon "the hypocrisy of the Sinn Féin party here, is outstanding"

McInerney "Martin, I don't know why you're bringing it back to Sinn Féin, I want to talk about the investigation....."

Heydon "Ummm, because, because, because..... they're the ones laying the charge here"

McInerney "Dafuq you talkin about*, the Gardai are investigating, that's sweet eff all to do with Sinn Féin....."

*that bit isn't exactly what she said, but you can tell it's what she wanted to say. The whole "but Sinn Féin" is familiar to me...... No idea why.

Who thought it was a good idea to let him near a mic FFS?

' But IRA'

Martin Heydon radio interview....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

At the very worst a cushy EU job. Probably nothing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

At the very worst a cushy EU job. Probably nothing though.
    He has form for leaking. Why hire a serial leaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

skimpydoo wrote: »

EU department of sieve regulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

skimpydoo wrote: »

You'll have to ask Phil Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

You'll have to ask Phil Hogan.
    Hogan leaked once and he resigned. Leo like Hogan leaked budget info and he did not resign. Leo also leaked two other times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have plenty of photos with people, who are not friends.

A photo means nothing in this case.

Do you have a photo with someone whom you leaked a contract to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Fann Linn wrote: »

Given how Leo led the campaign to support McCabe, I would be more worried about those in the "long grass" than the Shinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Given how Leo led the campaign to support McCabe, I would be more worried about those in the "long grass" than the Shinners.

Hold on.

So you're saying because Leo listened and supported McCabe in his fight against garda corruption, An Garda síochána will now be out to get him????

Are you happy they might go after someone for helping expose corruption in the force????

Is that the level people will be happy to go to, to get one up in Leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

the only person leo helps is himself - and his mates. Helped himself to a house for himself and his partner - as though two wern’t enough for them already - had to greedy grab one for himself as well off the hard pressed taxpayers back. Greedy Leo. Helping himself to everything. Brown envelopes of confidential information to his mate - what cut wouod he have got out of that business - or another like Philo and the boys giving away Irish offshore oil and gas reserves to ‘mates’ for free and then being elected as directors into their boards. Greedy leo. Was the house and 100,000 payrise you all gave yourselves while the country was on its knees not enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Wonder if leak, I mean Leo tuned in, and if he did, wonder if he leaked, I mean liked it?

https://twitter.com/RTERadio1/status/1372959568993607682?s=09

Have to say Callan takes off Leo brilliantly, he's got his smug, Arrogant persona down to a T along with hapless Murphs :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

the only person leo helps is himself - and his mates. Helped himself to a house for himself and his partner - as though two wern’t enough for them already - had to greedy grab one for himself as well off the hard pressed taxpayers back. Greedy Leo. Helping himself to everything. Brown envelopes of confidential information to his mate - what cut wouod he have got out of that business - or another like Philo and the boys giving away Irish offshore oil and gas reserves to ‘mates’ for free and then being elected as directors into their boards. Greedy leo. Was the house and 100,000 payrise you all gave yourselves while the country was on its knees not enough?

I hate when people talk in riddles. Care to put your rant in plain English with more details, please.
    What house did he help himself to? What did he grab off the taxpayer? What brown envelopes and what was in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I hate when people talk in riddles. Care to put your rant in plain English with more details, please.
    What house did he help himself to? What did he grab off the taxpayer? What brown envelopes and what was in them?

MaryAnne, with all due respect,it might be best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Just a suggestion, just a suggestion.

Long gone are the days when Brenner wanted slates lifted on politicians, lights shone on them etc etc, so on and so on.

Strange times indeed.

Long gone are the days when Brenner wanted slates lifted on politicians, lights shone on them etc etc, so on and so on.

Strange times indeed.

I was referring to the poster MaryAnne was replying to Randle.

You seem very keen to get me banned by the Mods by dragging me down rabbit holes:confused:

Lot of anger out there.

costacorta wrote: »
    But SF are good at having their own enquiries?? Wasn’t Gerry judge and jury for years ? .

Looks over >>>> and shouts 'but SF..... '

• Advertisement

I’m curious about the free house and €100,000 wage increase. I’m only retired 3 months and am getting bored. Thinking of going into politics. The big barrier to any chance I may have of succeeding is my rather low bulls**t threshold.
    I thought that it was only dole scroungers who got free houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

I was referring to the poster MaryAnne was replying to Randle.

You seem very keen to get me banned by the Mods by dragging me down rabbit holes:confused:

Lot of anger out there.

Ya be careful of Twitterman , Another Freddie I’m thinking 🀔. They had a good few Freddie’s n their ranks ..

costacorta wrote: »
    Ya be careful of Twitterman , Another Freddie I’m thinking ��. They had a good few Freddie’s n their ranks ..

Who is Freddie, and who had lots of Freddie's in their ranks:confused:

Hardly another Sinn Fein diversionary tactic is it? :D

I’m curious about the free house and €100,000 wage increase. I’m only retired 3 months and am getting bored. Thinking of going into politics. The big barrier to any chance I may have of succeeding is my rather low bulls**t threshold.
    I thought that it was only dole scroungers who got free houses!

Think he got the use of a house up in the Park for official stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Fann Linn wrote: »

Absolutely! Doesn't stop Sinn Fein trying to endlessly make political hay from it. In the context of this thread it is fairly transparent.

It is weird that 'But Sinn Fein' is actually said more by Sinn Fein supporters than anyone else, which is actually a neat way to ensure they never enter critical discussion. To be sure they started this with
    'It is unfair to bring up discussion of the IRA when the debate is featuring Sinn Fein'
    and seeing that that actually worked, they now simply say
    'It is unfair to bring up Sinn Fein when the debate is featuring Sinn Fein'

And how is the debate featuring Sinn Fein? Because all objective analysis of this matter would have taken a back seat until there was something new to actually discuss, but not Sinn Fein canvassers who desperately want to keep the story alive (what about another discussion about the Bobby Storey funeral? Or we could pretend to update it with the Peggy McCourt funeral from January).

So we have Mary Lou coming on the television giving her position last week, Sinn Fein producing its social media perspective in the last weeks, Sinn Fein bringing it up in the last months in the Dail, the vote-of-no-confidence brought to the floor by Sinn Fein last November, and presumably Sinn Fein and its supporters will have a lot, lot more repetition of the subject before the subject finally disintegrates from the volume of kicking it receives. They even have a schoolyard name for Varadkar. They call him LeoTheLeak on social media. These are adults who want to run the country.

Though I suppose the country has been run by someone who likes posing in socks, making Hamilton references, and handed an agreement to his friend in order to disseminate its contents to a union that he had forced out of the board room due to a tiff about medical cards, so I suppose they are in good company.

Come on Sinn Fein people here, I beg you to open up your horizons. There is so much to criticize, and you retreating to your shells of 'But Sinn Fein' is not the type of behavior I would expect from self professed um.. progressives.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Have to say Callan takes off Leo brilliantly, he's got his smug, Arrogant persona down to a T along with hapless Murphs :)

Yea he has Leo's smugness down to a T.

https://twitter.com/olivercallan/status/1373211373782589440?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Think he got the use of a house up in the Park for official stuff.

He did, the Steward's Lodge at Farmleigh. Every Taoiseach since Bertie gets it if they want it, its a secured location with living and working facilities and good IT/comms.

Its also utterly irrelevant to the matter at hand.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He did, the Steward's Lodge at Farmleigh. Every Taoiseach since Bertie gets it if they want it, its a secured location with living and working facilities and good IT/comms.

Its also utterly irrelevant to the matter at hand.

And, I believe that he paid for the privilege.

I’m still puzzled about the €100k salary increase, though. I’m sure that the poster will clarify and satisfy my curiosity.

• Advertisement

Absolutely! Doesn't stop Sinn Fein trying to endlessly make political hay from it. In the context of this thread it is fairly transparent.

It is weird that 'But Sinn Fein' is actually said more by Sinn Fein supporters than anyone else, which is actually a neat way to ensure they never enter critical discussion. To be sure they started this with
    'It is unfair to bring up discussion of the IRA when the debate is featuring Sinn Fein'
    and seeing that that actually worked, they now simply say
    'It is unfair to bring up Sinn Fein when the debate is featuring Sinn Fein'

And how is the debate featuring Sinn Fein? Because all objective analysis of this matter would have taken a back seat until there was something new to actually discuss, but not Sinn Fein canvassers who desperately want to keep the story alive (what about another discussion about the Bobby Storey funeral? Or we could pretend to update it with the Peggy McCourt funeral from January).

So we have Mary Lou coming on the television giving her position last week, Sinn Fein producing its social media perspective in the last weeks, Sinn Fein bringing it up in the last months in the Dail, the vote-of-no-confidence brought to the floor by Sinn Fein last November, and presumably Sinn Fein and its supporters will have a lot, lot more repetition of the subject before the subject finally disintegrates from the volume of kicking it receives. They even have a schoolyard name for Varadkar. They call him LeoTheLeak on social media. These are adults who want to run the country.

Though I suppose the country has been run by someone who likes posing in socks, making Hamilton references, and handed an agreement to his friend in order to disseminate its contents to a union that he had forced out of the board room due to a tiff about medical cards, so I suppose they are in good company.

Come on Sinn Fein people here, I beg you to open up your horizons. There is so much to criticize, and you retreating to your shells of 'But Sinn Fein' is not the type of behavior I would expect from self professed um.. progressives.

So you'd prefer if SF turned a blind eye to Varadkars shenanigans?
    Everything is hunky dory and the Gardai are just picking on Leo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement