Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Beaker abandoning him, Heather FG leader by July?

Micheal Lehane with RTE floating Simon Harris today if Leo were to go which would be ironic considering Harris was minister for health at the time Leo leaked a health related document.

RTE news : Wounded Varadkar retains Fine Gael support 'for now'

http://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0319/1205022-politics-analysis/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Hold on.

So you're saying because Leo listened and supported McCabe in his fight against garda corruption, An Garda síochána will now be out to get him????

Are you happy they might go after someone for helping expose corruption in the force????

Is that the level people will be happy to go to, to get one up in Leo?

After the commissioner smearing McCabe, the paperless contracts, penalty points etc. etc. I think you need revise your hollier than thou image of the Garda.
    As unlikely as it might be maybe he should sort them out with the covid rather than talking about what he'll do if he gets back in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Everything is hunky dory

No, no, the Garda investigation is where it's at.

Good things to have happened:
    • Fact based journalism
    • Garda investigation

Oh, and what's that? Sinn Fein screeching from the sidelines on a loop like a car alarm.
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    the Gardai are just picking on Leo.

Sinn Fein fully back Garda investigations? Apart from when Ferris or Adams were arrested, or when the Garda Commissioner talked about the IRA, at which times the Gardai were apparently 'politically motivated'.

But then, that's if you take anything that that party has to say seriously.

Ferris was arrested for driving while inebriated by the way. He didn't even deny being over the limit! I guess the police were supposed to look the other way for an arms smuggler who openly celebrated the murder of a gard.

Wait, 'But Sinn Fein'. Damn, that defense is a good one!

• Fact based journalism
    • Garda investigation

Oh, and what's that? Sinn Fein screeching from the sidelines on a loop like a car alarm.

Sinn Fein fully back Garda investigations? Apart from when Ferris or Adams were arrested, or when the Garda Commissioner talked about the IRA, at which times the Gardai were apparently 'politically motivated'.

Ferris was arrested for driving while inebriated by the way. He didn't even deny being over the limit! I guess the police were supposed to look the other way for an arms smuggler who openly celebrated the murder of a gard.

Wait, 'but Sinn Fein' indeed...
    Wasn't MLMD leaked a confidential document to a pal. Not MLMD under criminal investigation, which by the way is recent news.
    I can't see how anyone can defend or be okay with Leo and what he did because.. others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

• Fact based journalism
    • Garda investigation

So if your arrested for something your automatically guilty?

That'll be good to know for when the knock comes to Leo's door!

Would you also mind putting up a link to Martin ferris conviction for drunk driving, unless of course your lying for a bit of what aboutery?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,610 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Micheal Lehane with RTE floating Simon Harris today if Leo were to go which would be ironic considering Harris was minister for health at the time Leo leaked a health related document.

RTE news : Wounded Varadkar retains Fine Gael support 'for now'

http://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0319/1205022-politics-analysis/

The vultures beginning to circle lower and lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The most ironic thing about that article is they're floating Simon Harris as a potential future leader.

Was this the same Simon Harris who was responsible for the collapse of the last government, and FG ending up as the states 3rd largest party afterwards?

Have they learnt nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Heather?

If Varadkar is replaced, it'll be Coveney. It should always have been Coveney.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Heather?

If Varadkar is replaced, it'll be Coveney. It should always have been Coveney.

They dont want Coveney , new leader has to have a gimmick, they've been claiming misogyny at everyone who even asks a question of a female member so next leader has to be female, so Heather is not male,not from a city, not RC, doesn't have a D4 accent and drives an Opel Insignia, next to Varadkar no one else comes close on gimmicks unless Richmond decides to get creative with the garden shears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

They dont want Coveney , new leader has to have a gimmick, they've been claiming misogyny at everyone who even asks a question of a female member so next leader has to be female, so Heather is not male,not from a city, not RC, doesn't have a D4 accent and drives an Opel Insignia, next to Varadkar no one else comes close on gimmicks unless Richmond decides to get creative with the garden shears

What's Varadkar's "gimmick"?

So if your arrested for something your automatically guilty?

No you get investigated. If there are grounds you get charged, after which point you may be found guilty or not guilty. In general there is no grounds for doubting the legitimacy of this process.

In fact I have often called for there to be less media presence in criminal matters prior to conviction as I find that trial by media is merely an industry unto itself: interested more in entertainment than justice. I am not sure where you are reading my comment as one that does not upload the legitimacy of our judicial system. My point was that Sinn Fein supports the system only when it suits them.

Would you also mind putting up a link to Martin ferris conviction for drunk driving, unless of course your lying for a bit of what aboutery?

I seemed to be conflating two separate times Ferris was arrested. One time when he was arrested, in 2002, on suspicion of abduction. The claim from Sinn Fein was that this was electioneering on the part of the Garda (not the first or last time that they would make such a statement). It was significantly later that Ferris was arrested for failing a breathalyzer test which he didn't attack as being politically motivated. I never mentioned conviction for this. He did spend 10 years in jail for another matter, but that's not relevant to this discussion.

I can't see how anyone can defend or be okay with Leo and what he did because.. others.

I'm not okay with it. I'm not not okay with it either, and it isn't to do with 'others'. I don't care much about it because the contents of the GP contract should have been known to GPs. The way he went about disseminating it was incorrect however. I do not know if it was illegal because I am not a legal expert. I will accept the Garda's position on the matter. Presumably Sinn Fein will only accept it if it is not favorable to Varadkar.

I honestly don't see any merit in anything that Mary Lou has to say on the matter. I know opposition gotta opposition: but empty rhetoric from the benches has actually always got on my nerves, irrespective of who is making the noises.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Verbal diarroea

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Homosexuality I imagine. And Asian.

Homosexuality I imagine. And Asian.

Paddy Holohan?

Paddy Holohan?

Paddy Holohan is Caucasian and heterosexual (afaik)

McMurphy wrote: »
    Paddy Holohan is Caucasian and heterosexual (afaik)

Next FG candidate for Jobstown apparently,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Verbal diarroea
    ...and tantrums.

It's an apt hypothetical question, any other country and Leos feet wouldn't touch the ground he'd be out so quickly!

https://twitter.com/BowesChay/status/1373284411265970182?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I honestly don't see any merit in anything that Mary Lou has to say on the matter. I know opposition gotta opposition: but empty rhetoric from the benches has actually always got on my nerves, irrespective of who is making the noises.

Just to be clear on this do you think there should be no opposition at all ever no matter who is leading the opposition?

For there is a need for opposition to keep the government in check by highlighting inadequacies in the legislation or having the ministers answer for their decisions such as Varadkar leaking a confidential document to his mate.

I will say though that the lack of respect from successive FF and FG led governments have shown to the Dáil in the way they carry on just running down the clock and avoiding answering the questions has made a mockery of Oireacthas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Why wouldn't Leo just keep denying it was illegal and prolong this?
    I mean, if the worst happens (for him), and he is found to have been ;eaking documents illegally, he walks into another cushy job somewhere, but with less pension.

The longer he stays denying it, he walks into the same job with a larger pension.

Nothing really happens either way except for many it is just confirmation of what they already knew. It is a bullshit system.

McMurphy wrote: »
    The most ironic thing about that article is they're floating Simon Harris as a potential future leader.

Was this the same Simon Harris who was responsible for the collapse of the last government, and FG ending up as the states 3rd largest party afterwards?

Have they learnt nothing?

TBF he handled covid number 18 so well we wouldn't have noticed it at all.

Paddy Holohan?

Well I've never seen Leo or paddy in the same room at the same time....you suggesting they're each others alter ego? Mind the both of them say stupid things about race.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Just to be clear on this do you think there should be no opposition at all ever no matter who is leading the opposition?

No, it's what I stated.

Empty rhetoric has always got on my nerves.

For years in the Dail, Fine Gael and Labour's response to Fianna Fail was that they weren't doing enough to help the poor and disadvantaged, without actually specifying what changes should be brought about. In response to giveaway budgets they would loudly protest that they weren't giveaway enough.

It becomes a white noise that we are better off filtering out. The fact that the Parliament grants, by definition, the right to speak, does not mean that the utterances merit much discussion.

I've always said that the mark of a proficient opposition is the good faith congratulation of the government on its successes. An opposition that does not put any thought into its arguments, that always goes for the soft objectives, that is not constructive or realistic, is one that wastes the opportunity for meaningful debate.

Juvenile repetitive soundbites about leotheleak is second-rate white noise. What response is that supposed to prompt, 'LouThePoo'? Ffs. Christ I shouldn't be giving FG ideas.

What I'm wondering is where would SF be if they weren't picking up crumbs from The Village or The Phoenix or from Alan Kelly's fat twin's daily musings.

I'm not okay with it. I'm not not okay with it either, and it isn't to do with 'others'. I don't care much about it because the contents of the GP contract should have been known to GPs. The way he went about disseminating it was incorrect however. I do not know if it was illegal because I am not a legal expert. I will accept the Garda's position on the matter. Presumably Sinn Fein will only accept it if it is not favorable to Varadkar.

Let's not get confused here. Varadkar did wrong. He leaked a confidential government document to a pal. These are the facts.
    If it were illegal or not won't change that.

The opposition's job is to draw attention to government wrongdoing, bad policy, suggest policy. That kind of thing.
    In cases like the mother and baby homes too we need the government of the day called out. Whether or not you like the ones doing the calling out or why they might be doing it doesn't take away from the fact these issues need looking at.

What I'm wondering is where would SF be if they weren't picking up crumbs from The Village or The Phoenix or from Alan Kelly's fat twin's daily musings.

Where would FG be without SF?

O%27Duffy_Blue_Shirt_Movement_fascist_salute.jpg

Let's not get confused here. Varadkar did wrong. He leaked a confidential government document to a pal. These are the facts.

Yes, but imperatively that's not very wrong. Pragmatically or morally.
    If it were illegal or not won't change that.

No that actually does change things, because even if technically what he did wasn't very wrong, it elevates it into something different (specifically something criminal).
    Whether or not you like the ones doing the calling out or why they might be doing it doesn't take away from the fact these issues need looking at.

I don't think you are getting the point I'm making. The problem is that they are not doing what you are suggesting by banging on, on a loop, on and on, about the GP agreement. It addresses no major issues that we currently face as a nation. None. It is a waste of time. The only people doing actual work in relation to the Varadkar leak are journalists and the Garda. SF are exercising their mouths.

Look, I'm putting it to you that the SF poster quality here is garbage. You need to up your game.

What needs to be said here?

The fact that 1986 SF didn't exist for another 53 years after this photo was taken? SF 1986 was a successor to the provisional movement (with IRA of that name) which independently emerged in Northern Ireland. Unless you are suggesting that Gerry Adams used a time machine to go back to the 1930s to convince the Army Comrades Association to join with Cumann na nGaedheal and the National Centre Party and thereby.. reduce the fascistic elements of the ACA?

What am I talking about. This is just the same sort of inane bleating as hashtag leotheleakkkk emoiji emoji

I think you would be better off pointing to Fianna Fail in this regard as DeValera was prone to hanging both fascists and IRA agitators (but where's the difference there, amiright?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fierce committed bunch of lads/lasses in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Look, I'm putting it to you that the SF poster quality here is garbage. You need to up your game.

To be fair, they can be entertaining.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement