Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McMurphy wrote: »
    Where are people reading about this?

Don't know, just going on posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Once again Francie.

If it's illegal and he is found guilty its game over, we can all accept that.

Simon was asked and didn't.

Leo did.

Sorry but this doesn't tell us anything we didn't know already.

It tells us that Harris knew about the leak all along, and tried to cover for Leo during the vote of confidence.

Leo looking to be goosed to this poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Here we go what banjo?

There is nothing in that headline that we didn't know or that is illegal.

Why don't we let the Gards do their work?

Once again Francie.

If it's illegal and he is found guilty its game over, we can all accept that.

Simon was asked and didn't.

Leo did.

Sorry but this doesn't tell us anything we didn't know already.

Why didn't Simon tell the Dáil this JJ? He's in the doodah here now if this is true.

• Advertisement

Why didn't Simon tell the Dáil this JJ? He's in the doodah here now if this is true.

So he ratted himself out???

So he ratted himself out???

Why didn't Simon tell the Dáil this JJ?

Here we go what banjo?

There is nothing in that headline that we didn't know or that is illegal.

"We knew" Harris was asked to leak the document, and refused?

"We knew" he was fully aware he was asked to leak the success when he was lecturing the Dail during Leo's vote of confidence?

Who is preventing the Gardai doing their work btw?

Leo is goosed I reckon. Possibly Simon too.

What's with the "banjo" reference? Ran out of road, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

My point is he leaked a document. He apologised. Thats the bare facts.

Yes.
    You're the one obsessing about SF's reaction to Varadkar being under criminal investigation.

That's the only thing of substance here. There has been nothing more to say on this subject since last November, yet here we are.
    Id find it odd if they weren't hammering on about it

But not odd that they dedicating so little time to more important matters?
    My point is if FG weren't checked from time to time they mightnt have changed or possibly reverted to the far right leanings.

You said Sinn Fein, so I assume you meant to say checked by Fianna Fail? Sinn Fein has only been in the Irish parliament since 1986, so most of the checking it would have received for its life would have been from Fianna Fail, surely?

Well technically Fine Gael didn't actually exist at the time that photograph was taken, but that doesn't really matter too much when the point was so weak to begin with.

I'd actually say that their coalition partners had more impact than any checking from an adversary in all fairness. Fine Gael knew they could never get into government without Labour, so that probably had an impact on their policies.

Since Fianna Fail was socially ultra-conservative, with Archbishop McQuaid having his hand so far up DeV's backside you'd swear he was a sock puppet, having a more liberal stance would also have likely served Fine Gael as opposition.

'Where would FG be without SF?' .. look I mean at least you said something different but.. this must be one of the worst thought-out sentiments that I've stumbled upon in a while.
    I think your problem here is believing every one critical is a shinner

No, the people who support Sinn Fein are Sinn Fein supporters
    and that somehow what the opposition do has some bearing in what Varadkar did.

Wha.. where do you even get this stuff from? I'm saying that are white noise producers, empty mouths, irritating wastes of spaces in relation to this matter, with cringeworthy social media presence, banging on about a subject that they themselves don't care about, for vapid personal political gain. I can't fathom how you think that that would have any retrospective bearing on anything that Varadkar did, or in any way diminish his personal responsibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

It tells us that Harris knew about the leak all along, and tried to cover for Leo during the vote of confidence.

Leo looking to be goosed to this poster.

He denied this already.

• Advertisement

1. Insurance in case Varadkar is found to not have a case to answer
    2. Scandals are typically more damaging as a drip-drip effect.
    3. Sinn Fein has already stated that they don't care if it was illegal. Their supporters have always said that they expect that Varadkar will 'get off' because the system is 'rigged'. If he is charged with anything they can feign amnesia. If he isn't, well, they don't care about the legal aspects anyway.

Who is preventing the Gardai doing their work btw?

He's talking about presupposition of guilt, publicly doubting the Gardai's competence or ability to investigate the matter, the often trumpeted position that the Gardai's findings have no bearing on what the political consequences should be. There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

He denied this already.

He denied what he's told Gardai during his interview?

He better be on his knees praying that it doesn't go to court, so, as I'm sure his statement will be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Harris couldn't have leaked it before Leo, as he wasn't allowed to see it until after Leo had already leaked it.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

"We knew" Harris was asked to leak the document, and refused?

Yup. From the original village magazine articles in November 2020:

"On 10 April, 2019, Maitiú Ó Tuathail asks then Health Minister, Simon Harris, for a copy of the agreement in the unofficial channel of a Twitter DM. Harris says he’ll make enquiries but ultimately doesn’t comply, “I want to get it over the line, but will be unable to do so without a copy of the deal,” wrote Ó Tuathail. Varadkar then, between 11-16 April, leaked Ó Tuathail the document without consulting his Health Minister, who had refused the request."

People seem so eager for new stuff that they forget what is already known.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

"On 10 April, 2019, Maitiú Ó Tuathail asks then Health Minister, Simon Harris, for a copy of the agreement in the unofficial channel of a Twitter DM. Harris says he’ll make enquiries but ultimately doesn’t comply, “I want to get it over the line, but will be unable to do so without a copy of the deal,” wrote Ó Tuathail. Varadkar then, between 11-16 April, leaked Ó Tuathail the document without consulting his Health Minister, who had refused the request."

Why couldn't O Tuathail read it if it was already public?

What's worse it gave cause for me to see Paddy Cosgrove's stupid mug again.

Nope, try again.

We know the village alleged that Simon Harris was asked, we didn't know he admitted it, IE, we now know (if the times article is accurate) that this is now factual, as opposed to an allegation.

Why didn't he mention it to the Dail during the no confidence motion?

What's worse it gave cause for me to see Paddy Cosgrove's stupid mug again.

SF and Paddy.

What a combination.

Paddy still upset like a 5 year old.

Weak weak witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Nope, try again.

We know the village alleged that Simon Harris was asked, we didn't know he admitted it, IE, we now know (if the times article is accurate) that this is now factual, as opposed to an allegation.

You made a mistake McMurphy and forgot the info already out there. There's no problem with that, people make mistakes and forget sometimes. I won't accuse you of misleading the board ;)

Also, why would he need to mention it during a confidence motion for someone else? Bizarre line of thinking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd like to see Simon Coveney as Taoiseach instead of Varadkar.

Varadkar had his turn and Coveney has earned his corn dealing with the Brits, day in day out, on Brexit in my opinion.

I wonder will he make a move for the leadership of the party.

• Advertisement

SF and Paddy.

What a combination.

Paddy still upset like a 5 year old.

Weak weak witness.

Why would Paddy be a witness to anything going on with Leo/Zero craic and Simon Harris:confused:

You made a mistake McMurphy and forgot the info already out there. There's no problem with that, people make mistakes and forget sometimes. I won't accuse you of misleading the board ;)

Also, why would he need to mention it during a confidence motion for someone else? Bizarre line of thinking that.

Clutching at straws.

As I said let the Gards do their job.

Can you link to where Simon Harris admitted or acknowledged being asked to leak the documents, before the times report that he did so during the Gardai interview bubbs?

Nope, try again.

Seems to me Harris didn't tell the full truth to the Dáil but has to the Gardai, for obvious reasons.

Correct me someone if I am wrong.

Why would Paddy be a witness to anything going on with Leo/Zero craic and Simon Harris:confused:

Well he is one of a few pushing this village
    magazine story.

You surely haven't missed this bit?

Paddy upset at the government for not giving him his annual tech show.

Come on we all know it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/leak-controversy-doctor-settles-libel-action-against-web-summit-chief-39700302.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Well he is one of a few pushing this village
    magazine story.

You surely haven't missed this bit?

Paddy upset at the government for not giving him his annual tech show.

Come on we all know it.

I think you misread my post, you said he'd be "a weak witness".

Why do you think he'd be needed as a witness in this, assuming it goes to court?

Funny tweet..'Simon should resign for not leaking it if it was in the national interest'. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

This story is not going away anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Funny tweet..'Simon should resign for not leaking it if it was in the national interest'. :):)
    This shows that Simon Harris was far from the simple bumpkin that Varadkar expected. If the scandal doesn't take him out too, he could be the deputy leader of FG when Coveney takes over.

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement