Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

jackboy wrote: »
    Again irrelevant. Was it a criminal act or not? There is no point focusing on the messengers, no matter their motivation.

The thread title is ‘Leo Varadkar Story in the Village’ last I looked.

Therefore all the components of that title are relevant.

Motivation on all sides is very important in these issues.

Leave the legal stuff to the legal eagles I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

This thread is about Leo leaking documents, have you any comment on that topic

My posts are all in relation to who is behind this hate campaign against him. It had to be someone with money, Paddy Cosgrave. Have you any comment on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

So Leo asked Harris to give a copy of the confidential document to his friend the head union lad and Harris refused?

Then Leo, Mr. Smug, simply makes a copy and sends it to his chum via taxi.

There's no way that man can be trusted in public office.

Source? Does it say it on the next page or something, because the first page of the paper doesn't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

My posts are all in relation to who is behind this hate campaign against him. It had to be someone with money, Paddy Cosgrave. Have you any comment on that?

Japers, that was some jump.

It's not like we don't know exactly who's behind the story, he's hardly hidden behind the fact hardly takes inspector clueso to point out the holes in your theory.

https://twitter.com/BowesChay/status/1372137366060683273?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

McMurphy wrote: »
    No. Paddy Cosgraves tweet just happened to be the first tweet I found with a picture of the front of the mail on Sunday, to suggest he's "behind the story" because he tweeted an article is complete and utter nonsense and highly dishonest.

The rest of your long winded whataboutery is also irrelevant, sang you've been told this each time you appear in the thread to suggest laws and ethics should be suspended because of the pandemic*.

*Speaking of which, I see 3 months later and Leo hasn't given Roisin Shorthall a response on the dodgy ventilators, apparently "events manager" quirke had a political contact personally involved in helping him secure the deal.

Was it Leo?

https://twitter.com/nwl88444048/status/1373326139909935104?s=19

Not true, word for word the Irish Independent have the quote that it was Cosgrave who’s a ‘close friend’ of Chay Bowes that set it all up with the Village. You’re actually spouting lies, nonsense and trying to deflect.
    The fact that someone like Cosgrave is behind this, and wants to destabilise our country at this time with so much anger & dissent out there re the restrictions is a disgrace.
    He does not have your interests on his mind, he has his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not true, word for word the Irish Independent have the quote that it was Cosgrave who’s a ‘close friend’ of Chay Bowes that set it all up with the Village. You’re actually spouting lies, nonsense and trying to deflect.
    The fact that someone like Cosgrave is behind this, and wants to destabilise our country at this time with so much anger & dissent out there re the restrictions is a disgrace.

What's not true?

Are you saying Chay Bowes isn't the one who blew the whistle on this, because of zero craic bragging?

What else do you think the Gardai should turn a blind eye to because of the pandemic while we're on the subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Forget about Paddy Cosgrave, you don't shoot the messenger.

It's in every citizens interest that we do not have a criminal in government.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Forget about Paddy Cosgrave, you don't shoot the messenger.

It's in every citizens interest that we do not have a criminal in government.

Alleged?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭jackboy

The thread title is ‘Leo Varadkar Story in the Village’ last I looked.

Therefore all the components of that title are relevant.

Motivation on all sides is very important in these issues.

Leave the legal stuff to the legal eagles I would suggest.

Motivation of the messengers is only important if the allegations are untrue. As the guards are proceeding with the investigation then they believe that there may be something in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Motivation of the messengers is only important if the allegations are untrue. As the guards are proceeding with the investigation then they believe that there may be something in it.
    Investigations proceed to determine if there may be something to them. It's not unusual for them to halt. Getting to the DPP and the DPP concluding it is worth bringing a case will show there may be something to it.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Investigations proceed to determine if there may be something to them. It's not unusual for them to halt. Getting to the DPP and the DPP concluding it is worth bringing a case will show there may be something to it.

True but it is gas that some people here are ignoring the investigation and trying to claim that paddy cosgrove is trying to destabilise the country. We are talking real conspiracy theory stuff in support of Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

Read the article in print edition. Gardai are seriously peeved about Varadkar going on Pat Kenny and laying out events as he sees it and stressing he did nothing illegal. He especially should not be commenting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

This is absurd.

Anyone can see that this admission changes the situation. The deflection by several here is transparent. It indicates what will certainly be the last gasps of the boards.ie FG defence team.

I don't bat for any of the three government parties.

Now that Harris has disclosed that he was indeed asked to leak the information and but refused to, it obviously shows that the then-health minister (who would have been the person with authority over this document) decided it couldn't go to O'Toole.

That is true, but is not much of a revelation. The GP union (NAGP) had been loudly, and very publicly, calling for the information on Twitter, so the fact that they directly asked Harris should not come as a surprise. Furthermore, Harris may have felt he would require his boss' imprimatur to provide such information: after all the GP union had been blocked from receiving the information because of Varadkar's policy in relation to medical cards. Finally this doesn't imply illegality. It is quite clear that despite vacating the office of minister of health, that Varadkar wanted to mini-manage it. I also feel that he didn't treat Harris with a huge amount of respect in his capacity as Health minister. One might cynically wonder if the very young, inexperienced Harris was given the ministry well known to be a poisoned chalice to be a patsy of sorts.

Leo gave the contract to Matt because they were friends and he was worried their union might turn against their party during the election.

The union was already very clearly opposed to the government.

It also conferred a more advantageous bargaining position to the rival doctors' union.

No it didn't. NAGP was frozen out of negotiations. The deal with the IMO was in no jeopardy. NAGP had already had the legs cut from underneath them and were on the verge of going under (they only lasted another two months before their crippling debt destroyed them).

It also boosted Leo's standing while sh!tting on Harris.

No doubt.

what's the problem with talking about this major news story???

Well at least this is a news story. It's not a particularly revealing one, but at least it isn't inane discourse about how one can measure Leo's friendliness, or using inaccurate analysis in relation to precedents set for resignation, which together must account for about 80 pages of content in this thread.

Do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

True but it is gas that some people here are ignoring the investigation and trying to claim that paddy cosgrove is trying to destabilise the country. We are talking real conspiracy theory stuff in support of Leo.

The same was said of Maurice McCabe shur and official Ireland tried to paint him as the worst kind of offender, one that interferes with children. At least Paddy will be ok.

I don’t understand those who say this is interfering with the govt important work. They should not have someone who cannot be trusted at the he cabinet table. Put someone else in as Tanaiste and continue the important work. If they have tied Varadkars future to that of the government then that’s on them. The work isn’t as important as one man obviously.

Cosgrave is like a boil but nowhere near as smart as he or anyone else imagines. It'll eventually be resolved as it should be, through the mechanism of the legal system , certainly not on the airwaves nor in print.

SIPO seem quite busy these days, hope it doesn’t it doesn’t lead to delays in the justice system.

I’m getting quite irked by all these happenings.

golfball37 wrote: »
    The same was said of Maurice McCabe shur and official Ireland tried to paint him as the worst kind of offender, one that interferes with children. At least Paddy will be ok.

I don’t understand those who say this is interfering with the govt important work. They should not have someone who cannot be trusted at the he cabinet table. Put someone else in as Tanaiste and continue the important work. If they have tied Varadkars future to that of the government then that’s on them. The work isn’t as important as one man obviously.
    The McCabe situation was more complex than that and he got wrongly linked to something by Tusla, which followed him like a bad smell and undermined any credibility he might have had. You can't really bench Varadkar unless they get to a point where a legal case is pending. If that happens FG will probably vote to replace him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

That’s what you’d like to think.

Lot of anger out there, a few slates being lifted and a light being shone into areas it’s obvious it was needed.

So do you have anything to say about the local healthcare GP provision? I'm waiting for someone to actually talk about the item in question. Are you a former NAGP angry at the government?

Some dangerous people hanging around.

'Slab Murphy' dangerous, or 'Maria Bailey' dangerous? Just how worried should we be?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is about Varadkar. Take all discussion of political parties to the relevant threads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I don't bat for any of the three government parties.
    Yet you feel personally obliged to dissect my post.
    That is true, but is not much of a revelation. The GP union (NAGP) had been loudly, and very publicly, calling for the information on Twitter, so the fact that they directly asked Harris should not come as a surprise.
    Great, so there's no doubt that they directly benefitted from Leo leaking it to them. That's one of the requirements for corruption in office.
    Furthermore, Harris may have felt he would require his boss' imprimatur to provide such information: after all the GP union had been blocked from receiving the information because of Varadkar's policy in relation to medical cards. Finally this doesn't imply illegality.
    You're omitting the fact that Harris was requesting a copy of it himself at the time. He hadn't even cleared that version of it and he was the bleedin health minister.
    It is quite clear that despite vacating the office of minister of health, that Varadkar wanted to mini-manage it. I also feel that he didn't treat Harris with a huge amount of respect in his capacity as Health minister. One might cynically wonder if the very young, inexperienced Harris was given the ministry well known to be a poisoned chalice to be a patsy of sorts.
    That seems like exactly what happened. Micro-managing isn't a crime but going behind the backs of those making up your ministry, providing confidential information for personal gain... The fact that he did this will likely be the determining factor in this case.
    The union was already very clearly opposed to the government.
    So there's even less doubt about his motivations for leaking this.
    No it didn't. NAGP was frozen out of negotiations.
    By whom? Not by Varadkar seemingly.
    The deal with the IMO was in no jeopardy. NAGP had already had the legs cut from underneath them and were on the verge of going under (they only lasted another two months before their crippling debt destroyed them).
    You're right, but at the time they seemed pretty happy about getting this on the WhatsApp group.
    Well at least this is a news story. It's not a particularly revealing one, but at least it isn't inane discourse about how one can measure Leo's friendliness, or using inaccurate analysis in relation to precedents set for resignation, which together must account for about 80 pages of content in this thread.
    Agreed. I didn't contribute to any of that because I felt that it was more transparent distraction tactics by Leo supporters and felt it would be a waste of my time.
    Now there's an irrelevant and completely unfounded claim.

Imagine if those of us who are glad to see this corrupt arsehole smeared came out with something that spurious. The FG 4 would be all over us like a bad rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Quite a disturbing development this morning, the Indo reporting Leo to get 24 hour armed protection, relates to odious threats coming from the North. Whatever one's feelings on this story, this behaviour needs to be condemned.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Quite a disturbing development this morning, the Indo reporting Leo to get 24 hour armed protection, relates to odious threats coming from the North. Whatever one's feelings on this story, this behaviour needs to be condemned.

I've a feeling he will quit politics.

There comes a point when enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

I've a feeling he will quit politics.

There comes a point when enough is enough.

Is there ever enough corruption for these guys? I mean Michael lowry was the man he went to when he needed votes for Taoiseach!

Is there ever enough corruption for these guys? I mean Michael lowry was the man he went to when he needed votes for Taoiseach!

Enough that he's getting death threats from loyalists.

Don't worry he will be gone soon probably and you can sleep easy.

Dempo1 wrote: »

Loyalists threatening him. Remember though that Regina Doherty said that victims of loyalists brought it on themselves?

Loyalists threatening him. Remember though that Regina Doherty said that victims of loyalists brought it on themselves?

Regina??

This thread is about Leo.

Enough that he's getting death threats from loyalists.

Don't worry he will be gone soon probably and you can sleep easy.

Regina Doherty said victims of loyalists brought it on themselves! She really is despicable to come out with a statement like that!

Regina Doherty said victims of loyalists brought it on themselves! She really is despicable to come out with a statement like that!

Didn't see that. When was it?

• Advertisement

So now we have moved on from paddy cosgrove to loyalists as a distraction to Leo leaking the document.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement