Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As far as I remember about due process, the accused isninnocent until proven guilty and is allowed to profess his innocence at all times?
    Not a fán of due process Francie?

Exactly, from the start of this thread, people have been stating as fact that Leo leaked the document, whereas, if innocent, he shared the document.

Guilt has been assumed by an awful lot of posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McMurphy wrote: »
    He did answer the question, it's in the second audio clip in that link.

So you're not going to answer the question?

Leo, well I am answering it, I'm saying it's not going to arise!

That charges won't be taken against you:confused:

Leo, correct!

Didn't the NCBI say something about him commenting on the case and what might or might not happen?

Did they?

Haven’t seen any account of that, that’s interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Did they?

Haven’t seen any account of that, that’s interesting.

You're welcome.

IMG-20210324-163519.jpg

The tanaiste discussed the inquiry during an interview with Pat Kenny on Newstalk on Tuesday, in which he again admitted passing the document to o Tua Tuathail. Varadkar insisted he did not do anything "illegal, corrupt or self interested and that his actions conferred no Spe on anyone", while Smagghe document was "not classified A garda source said:

Unlike speeches made in the Dail, interviews given by A politicians on on radio stations about ongoing criminal City investigations are not legally find privileged. It all constitutes wer evidence. It is difficult to comprehend how or why the tanaiste is continuing to elaborate on this matter in such a public fashion."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Floppybits wrote: »
    I'm not sure Varadkar should be commenting on this and saying he won't be charged before anything has concluded. This will only add fuel to the fire now that the Gardai and DPP are under pressure not to press charges. He really doesn't help himself.

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/lmfm-news/varadkar-does-not-believe-he-will-be-charged-over-the-leaking-of-confidential-gp-document/

Strange that link says Gardaí are investigating a "leak". Do they not know it's not a leak, it's just the "manner" in which he shared the public document that's the issue? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I heard his comments on the news at 3..I did wonder if he has now invalidated the investigation by saying that

Just listened to the LMFM clip there and Leo is after going and throwing even more petrol on the fire. First he says he is trying to avoid creating new stories about the issue and then a minute later on the prospect of Garda charges being brought-
    Vardkar:"I dont believe it is going to happen"
    Interviewer:"So you're not answering that question"
    Varadkar: "What Im saying is that it is not going to arise"
    Interviewer:"That charges wont be taken against you?"
    Varadkar:"Thats correct"

If thats not trying to prempt the Garda investigation then I dont know what is. There is a big difference between declaring that you are innocent and claiming that charges wont be brought against you. And has he already forgotten that just a few days ago the Sunday Times quoted a Garda source who slapped him down for talking about the case?

Leo really just cant stop putting his foot in his mouth. His team of spin doctors really shouldnt have him near a microphone at the moment given he just makes things worse.

• Advertisement

You're welcome.

IMG-20210324-163519.jpg

Thanks Randle

Don’t see the NBCI mentioned in that clip, don’t see any definitive names, just “unnamed sources” and ‘concern being expressed’ by ‘senior Gardai’.

Very strange that the Tainiste would ignore advice allegedly ‘given by NCBI’
    specifically on this investigation, when all he has to say is no comment on that particular issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just listened to the LMFM clip there and Leo is after going and throwing even more petrol on the fire. First he says he is trying to avoid creating new stories about the issue and then a minute later on the prospect of Garda charges being brought-
    Vardkar:"I dont believe it is going to happen"
    Interviewer:"So you're not answering that question"
    Varadkar: "What Im saying is that it is not going to arise"
    Interviewer:"That charges wont be taken against you?"
    Varadkar:"Thats correct"

If thats not trying to prempt the Garda investigation then I dont know what is. There is a big difference between declaring that you are innocent and claiming that charges wont be brought against you. And has he already forgotten that just a few days ago the Sunday Times quoted a Garda source who slapped him down for talking about the case?

Leo really just cant stop putting his foot in his mouth. His team of spin doctors really shouldnt have him near a microphone at the moment given he just makes things worse.

One would wonder if this is nothing to but cynical ploy to influence the outcome of the investigation or to kill the investigation. To comment on an ongoing investigation like this and to say what the outcome will be, how often have we read that investigations cannot be talked about. He should have just said I can't comment on it as it is an active investigation and left it at that. After all it is a favorite comment on politicians when asked questions on other investigations.

Thanks Randle

Once again, you're welcome, no problem.
    Don’t see the NBCI mentioned in that clip, don’t see any definitive names, just “unnamed sources” and ‘concern being expressed’ by ‘senior Gardai’.

Look harder bren.

IMG-20210324-172239.jpg

The high ranking officers over the inquiry are from the NBCI bren. This isn't new information here horse.

The investigation is being conducted by the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NBCI) based in Harcourt Square in Dublin. Comparable to the FBI or National Crime Agency in the UK, the NBCI is the State’s primary criminal investigation unit made up of highly experienced detectives trained in advanced interview techniques.

Who is investigating Leo Varadkar?
    Part of its broad portfolio is responsibility for the investigation of allegations of corruption internally and in Government and semi-State bodies, thus their involvement in this inquiry.

What are they investigating?
    A team of detectives has been assigned by the Garda Commissioner to investigate the circumstances surrounding the disclosure two years ago by Mr Varadkar, when he was Taoiseach, of a copy of an agreement between the State and the Irish Medical Organisation to his friend Dr Maitiú Ó Tuathail, the then president of a rival GP organisation, the National Association of General Practitioners (NAGP). The now Tánaiste had admitted that what he did was “inappropriate”.
    specifically on this investigation, when all he has to say is no comment on that particular issue.

Indeed, but then again, Leo always delivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Exactly, from the start of this thread, people have been stating as fact that Leo leaked the document, whereas, if innocent, he shared the document.

Guilt has been assumed by an awful lot of posters.

Because he apologised.

The legality/criminality is all that's unknown.

Strange that link says Gardaí are investigating a "leak". Do they not know it's not a leak, it's just the "manner" in which he shared the public document that's the issue? :confused:

Man: The kitchen is flooded!

Plumber: I apologise for the manner in which the kitchen floor area became wet.

Man: Ah! Grand so.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As far as I remember about due process, the accused isninnocent until proven guilty and is allowed to profess his innocence at all times?
    Not a fán of due process Francie?

He commented on the outcome of a Garda Criminal Investigation into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Why isn't anyone in FG telling Leo to shut the fook up and just say I can't comment because it's an ongoing investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Why isn't anyone in FG telling Leo to shut the fook up and just say I can't comment because it's an ongoing investigation.

It's not in the nature of a politician to shut up. We have seen this on many occasions regardless of who or what party they are from. My favourite from years ago was the lad on Nighthawks who admitted wire tapping was going on.

That ship sailed when Enda was top man, while Leo was giving out pointers on everyone else's department.

He commented on the outcome of a Garda Criminal Investigation into him.

He says the same thing every time.
    1 He hasn’t be spoken to by the Gardai.
    2 His solicitors contacted the Gardai to say that he’s willing to answer any questions.
    3 He doesn’t believe that he did anything wrong.
    4 The legal process has to be followed through.
    5 He doesn’t want to be making more stories about it.

If he went “No Comment” there are plenty who would be screaming even louder than they are now for his blood.

Once again, you're welcome, no problem.

Look harder bren.

IMG-20210324-172239.jpg

The high ranking officers over the inquiry are from the NBCI bren. This isn't new information here horse.

Indeed, but then again, Leo always delivers.

Sorry Randle, not buying that, either it’s right or it’s wrong.

If I was investigating a case, and was a so called senior investigator, and the alleged accused was acting in contempt of case protocol, I wouldn’t ‘have some concerns’

I would be either taking action or shutting my mouth.

Can’t see any record of any action, shaft.

1 He hasn’t be spoken to by the Gardai.
    2 His solicitors contacted the Gardai to say that he’s willing to answer any questions.
    3 He doesn’t believe that he did anything wrong.
    4 The legal process has to be followed through.
    5 He doesn’t want to be making more stories about it.

If he went “No Comment” there are plenty who would be screaming even louder than they are now for his blood.

He said he 'believed there would be no charges', thus pre-empting the outcome of a criminal inquiry.

The Garda are probably glad Leo is doing their job for them.

Couldn't see it.

Gets shown it......

Goes into full on denial mode.
    Sorry Randle, not buying that, either it’s right or it’s wrong.

If I was investigating a case, and was a so called senior investigator, and the alleged accused was acting in contempt of case protocol, I wouldn’t ‘have some concerns’

I would be either taking action or shutting my mouth.

Can’t see any record of any action, shaft.

Remember the denial mode was on display because Debbie McCann (same paper) had a Garda source stating the investigation wasn't s preliminary one, but a proper criminal one too?

It would appear that Leo's up the creek with no paddle now bren.

Couldn't see it.

Gets shown it......

Goes into full on denial mode.

Remember the denial mode was on display because Debbie McCann (same paper) had a Garda source stating the investigation wasn't s preliminary one, but a proper criminal one too?

It would appear that Leo's up the creek with no paddle now bren.

You are beginning to lose the dressing room Randle.

Asked to produce the NCBI....can’t produce.

Produce suggestions, suppositions, nothing concrete in this specific issue.

Don’t buy allegations, some concerns, and the typical newspaper waffle .

I’m afraid Randle, I’d like to see concrete action, names mentioned, departments mentioned, actual transgressions if committed, named and action taken.

auld newspaper waffle dudd’nt light my fire, effendi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He said he 'believed there would be no charges', thus pre-empting the outcome of a criminal inquiry.

Expressing an opinion that he didn't commit and offence and wouldn't be charged is now "pre-empting the outcome of a criminal inquiry".

Come on Francie.

All he has to say is no comment as a criminal investigation is under way. If he did this I doubt anyone would be screaming. People are screaming now because he can't keep his mouth shut claiming he believed there would be no charges. If charges do come which is now looking more likely, will you stop defending Leo and admit he is in very serious Sh1t!.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

blanch152 wrote: »
    Expressing an opinion that he didn't commit and offence and wouldn't be charged is now "pre-empting the outcome of a criminal inquiry".

Come on Francie.

No but expressing an opinion as he did this afternoon that no Garda charges will be forthcoming most certainly is trying to pre empt the outcome

Muahahaha wrote: »
    No but expressing an opinion as he did this afternoon that no Garda charges will be forthcoming most certainly is trying to pre empt the outcome
    I hope the guards come down on him like a ton of bricks. He seems to think he has a golden ticket to do whatever he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I don't have time to get knee deep in this again at the moment, and I also think there's a deficit in necessary detail, but just pointing out one thing that occurred to me.

The IMO casually shared the draft contract with all of its members. About 20% of all doctors in the country were members of the IMO at that time if I remember correctly. That's thousands of people presumably receiving the contract.

That's not what I would consider secretive boardroom context. Were all these IMO members negotiators of the contract? Hardly. They may vote on the final deal, but they wouldn't all be in the room when it was being discussed. For one thing, they wouldn't all fit.

And I wonder if any IMO member shared this contract detail with any of his colleagues? Indeed some (but presumably not many) IMO members were also members of NAGP. I would imagine that some people from that profession would feel their colleagues being kept in the dark was somewhat inequitable. I would really like to hear the position of a couple of doctors to be honest.

It's worth noting over the past 3 years other TD's have fallen for less.

Niall Collins very shaky defending Leo's comments on the Tonight Show. Like a rabbit in the headlights, had to depend on the 'I didn't hear what he said' line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Niall Collins very shaky defending Leo's comments on the Tonight Show. Like a rabbit in the headlights, had to depend on the 'I didn't hear what he said' line.

When everyone else heard it, he must have been sleeping beside Eamonn Ryan!

Ah, that old chestnut, 'I didn't hear what he said'. I think he was about to say that Leo should say nothing when he was interrupted by Matt, but he did look shakey alright. Dev would be turning in his grave at FF defending a FG leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Ah, that old chestnut, 'I didn't hear what he said'. I think he was about to say that Leo should say nothing when he was interrupted by Matt, but he did look shakey alright. Dev would be turning in his grave at FF defending a FG leader.

He would have been called into Charlie’s office first thing tomorrow morning!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement