Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Where is everyone good morning, I thought there was loads to debate and nitpick but it seems it's a cooked goose.
    I think that a lot of FGers are wondering why their cornflakes have a strange taste this morning.
    I can not wait to sit down at the desk and listen to what I imagine will be constant coverage of it on RTÉ :D
    Of course. :) The Examiner is owned by the Irish Times so that might be a sign that things are changing.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

There’s more chance of Gerry admitting he was in the IRA

I don't know why you are quoting me.

I looked at the evidence (the WhatsApp messages).

The only person willing to look at evidence was McMurphy. Everyone else here is just to mutter 'Leo Varadkar is toast' using different synonyms. Sometimes they even say leo the leak. I am not sure you see the genius there. Leo leaked the document. But there's an 'Le' in leo and an 'Le' in leak. It's very subtle, and doesn't get in the least bit old seeing this level of sophisticated assessment.
    then there is of LV going without a massive fuss you just have to recal the Francise Fitzgerald debacle, and now she is in Brussels people never learn.

Again a fairly unrelated tangent. I think your compatriots actually use FFG to prove a different point about people resigning rather than creating a massive fuss. It doesn't really matter though as it isn't very relevant anyway, and was a use for 'But Sinn Fein' crew to chew up a couple of hundred pages of this thread.
    The snare is tightening on the leak.and not before time.

Snare on a leak.

Snare on a leak. Yup you heard this piece of rhetorical gold here first. You can put a snare. On a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Martin has his own woes from a few of his senior TD's. The grindstone is being turned on .....

Certainly has. But I have a grudging admiration for how he has handled it all so far. He has surprised me.
    It's Leo who now looks like the ambitious sleeveen career politician - or more like one.

Quite a turnaround and I am sure Micheál is having private smirks at the discomfort of FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Certainly has. But I have a grudging admiration for how he has handled it all so far. He has surprised me.
    It's Leo who now looks like the ambitious sleeveen career politician - or more like one.

Quite a turnaround and I am sure Micheál is having private smirks at the discomfort of FG.

QFT I'd thank this twice if I could, excellent summarisation Francie.

Knives likely be getting sharpened now for Leo from team FG, he's completely and utterly toxic to their brand.

Have the odds on Leo skidaddling before June shortened this morning I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Will he(MM) capitalize now and try hold onto the big seat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I think Micheál Martin will be the happiest of the three in the coalition, he is staying out of trouble while his partners are in turmoil.

If Varadkar doesn't go on his own bat, a spell of FG tearing themselves apart internally while the Greens are doing similar...government of chaos to continue.

Actually makes a refreshing change

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I also think that the timeline after the 16th of April is far, far more valuable than before the 16th. Is there nothing to say about after the 16th of April? Is there an FOI pending for material dated after the 16th? Has there been one and no interested party has chosen to leak this information? Again we have information being hidden from us in this regard. If there were no substantial changes to the agreement after the 16th (which is probably the case, but not confirmed) then much of the issue is moot.

Here's an email from the 17th that shows Simon Harris, the actual minister for health was still trying to get his hands on this document.

https://twitter.com/nwl88444048/status/1375000815639932929?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

McMurphy wrote: »
    Here's an email from the 17th that shows Simon Harris, the actual minister for health was still trying to get his hands on this document.

Looks like 'Leo the leak' may have to be changed to 'Leo the liar' based on the above claim about Harris.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Will he(MM) capitalize now and try hold onto the big seat?

If he handles this debacle right, gets a bounce in the polls, he might be able to leave on his own terms. Stave off a putsch.

Looks like 'Leo the leak' may have to be changed to 'Leo the liar' based on the above claim about Harris.

LeoTheLiar had been trending on Twitter too, it's increasingly hard to see how he'll come through the other side of this. I think he's done personally.

You never know, might be the best thing ever happened fg being shot of him, there's no denying that it certainly wasn't the best thing ever happened them putting him in as leader.

**Looks at the last election results**

Yep. Definitely wasn't.

• Advertisement

He was looking for the “current“ draft. Not the original one. There are usually a number of drafts before the final document, usually just spelling and grammar corrections, but the base is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

You never know, might be the best thing ever happened fg being shot of him, there's no denying that it certainly wasn't the best thing ever happened them putting him in as leader.

This is what I don't understand

- useless Minister
    - useless Taoiseach
    - useless Party Leader

As I often caveat, I can't claim my friends, colleagues and acquaintances are representative but, I don't know anyone who likes him. Smug, arrogant, narcissistic, more interested in social media persona than his job and been to front and centre (in these people's opinions) to mishandling the pandemic (dismissing public health concerns, sitting talking about serious issues while smirking to the camera, bringing film quotes into speeches etc)

Maybe he is unpopular within the party and there are rumblings of discontent in the background but I don't see much of in public (yet)

He was looking for the “current“ draft. Not the original one.
    Not the one that Varadkar leaked to his friend? That Examiner article has destroyed a lot of FG spin. Did Harris know that Varadkar had leaked the document to his friend at the time he was trying to get a copy? Perhaps it would have been easier to get a copy from O'Toole. :)

Regards...jmcc

RTE has been quiet on this story...did Morning Ireland cover it? Missed the first half hour.

CarProblem wrote: »
    Maybe he is unpopular within the party and there are rumblings of discontent in the background but I don't see much of in public (yet)
    He has made a lot of people who fancy themselves as being smart look very stupid. Getting them (the FG Oireachtas people) to admit that they were wrong and the grassroots were right is going to be very difficult.

Regards...jmcc

Well that seems to be the most interesting thing in the last few pages here.

One thing to note that 'the 130 page document relating to the gp agreement' is clearly not the exact same thing as is online, because the online document is 110 pages long. The email on the 15th is less interesting, but there seems to be an assumption that the document might have been totally finished by this stage.

Why is Harris asking someone who signs himself off as Harris' private secretary for a copy?

https://www.hiqa.ie/sites/default/files/2020-08/4.%20Fw_%20VC%20with%20Minister%20Harris%20and%20NHI.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

One thing to note that 'the 130 page document relating to the gp agreement' is clearly not the exact same thing as is online, because the online document is 110 pages long. The email on the 15th is less interesting, but there seems to be an assumption that the document might have been totally finished by this stage.

Why is Harris asking someone who signs himself off as Harris' private secretary for a copy?

https://www.hiqa.ie/sites/default/files/2020-08/4.%20Fw_%20VC%20with%20Minister%20Harris%20and%20NHI.pdf

I don't see the significance of these emails. Harris is looking for the current draft, with the clear implication that he has possession of earlier drafts. If the differences are small, mostly tidying, or the differences are ones that he has agreed to, the request is not significant at all, just a case of getting his hands on a full document.

This is what I don't understand

- useless Minister

He was barely there a dog's watch in fairness.
    - useless Taoiseach

In my opinion Fine Gael in recent years focused too much on silly issues.. like banning the display of cigarettes, cheese adverts, or wanting health warnings to be on beer bottles. Some of their socially liberal agenda (like abortion and same sex-marriage) was positive, but a lot of it was a distraction from more serious issues.
    - useless Party Leader

He is personally quite popular, though more conservative rural voters would be naturally put off somewhat by his sexual orientation, ethnicity, and pseudo trendiness. He was also taking over the reins after a long serving austerity government. It is difficult to maintain popularity after being in a party that promoted property tax, public servant cuts, dramatic fiscal rectification measures, and attempted to bring in water charges (that one sank Labour altogether).

Nonetheless Varadkar himself is clearly politically quite astute, if not altogether careful enough. While he is adept at balancing internal power structures, his courting of public opinion can sometimes backfire. When it works he looks in-touch with the public. When it doesn't he looks narcissistic and smug.
    mishandling the pandemic (dismissing public health concerns, sitting talking about serious issues while smirking to the camera, bringing film quotes into speeches etc)

The mishandling of the pandemic was before there was a pandemic. There was no screening, no testing, no flight bans, no quarantine, no sufficient test and trace, no measures in place. When people criticize the government they usually focus on a period after the proverbial hit the fan, which is not accurate or fair.

But this points to one of Fine Gael's greatest weaknesses: their constant sycophanticism in relation to Brussels. If his betters in the EPP suggested quarantine, or flight bans Fine Gael (and thus Varadkar) would jump at it. Looking, deferentially, to the monumental fck up that was the EU's handling of the pandemic did not serve us well.

There will always be rumblings in a party as there will be always benefit to those low down to backstab those high up. Fine Gael and Sinn Fein seem to have a very solid structure in place where this is difficult to accomplish. Fianna Fail and Green Party, less so.

He was barely there a dog's watch in fairness.

In my opinion Fine Gael in recent years focused too much on silly issues.. like banning the display of cigarettes, cheese adverts, or wanting health warnings to be on beer bottles. Some of their socially liberal agenda (like abortion and same sex-marriage) was positive, but a lot of it was a distraction from more serious issues.

He is personally quite popular, though more conservative rural voters would be naturally put off somewhat by his sexual orientation, ethnicity, and pseudo trendiness. He was also taking over the reins after a long serving austerity government. It is difficult to maintain popularity after being in a party that promoted property tax, public servant cuts, dramatic fiscal rectification measures, and attempted to bring in water charges (that one sank Labour altogether).

Nonetheless Varadkar himself is clearly politically quite astute, if not altogether careful enough. While he is adept at balancing internal power structures, his courting of public opinion can sometimes backfire. When it works he looks in-touch with the public. When it doesn't he looks narcissistic and smug.

The mishandling of the pandemic was before there was a pandemic. There was no screening, no testing, no flight bans, no quarantine, no sufficient test and trace, no measures in place. When people criticize the government they usually focus on a period after the proverbial hit the fan, which is not accurate or fair.

But this points to one of Fine Gael's greatest weaknesses: their constant sycophanticism in relation to Brussels. If his betters in the EPP suggested quarantine, or flight bans Fine Gael (and thus Varadkar) would jump at it. Looking, deferentially, to the monumental fck up that was the EU's handling of the pandemic did not serve us well.

There will always be rumblings in a party as there will be always benefit to those low down to backstab those high up. Fine Gael and Sinn Fein seem to have a very solid structure in place where this is difficult to accomplish. Fianna Fail and Green Party, less so.

Astute? Bizarre, he led FG to one of it's worst ever performances in a GE.

Politically astute my eye. :)

blanch152 wrote: »
    I don't see the significance of these emails. Harris is looking for the current draft, with the clear implication that he has possession of earlier drafts. If the differences are small, mostly tidying, or the differences are ones that he has agreed to, the request is not significant at all, just a case of getting his hands on a full document.

It is hard to understand the full significance. I am not sure why the replies to these emails have been edited out as well. These emails are certainly interesting and provide useful time stamps, but it is a frustratingly incomplete picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Barry Cowen waffling away there on Claire Byrne about not wanting prejudice any investigation into this and yet was not asked about what Leo Varadkar said yesterday.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Barry Cowen waffling away there on Claire Byrne about not wanting prejudice any investigation into this and yet was not asked about what Leo Varadkar said yesterday.

Extraordinary...he bounced the ball right in front of Byrne and she didn't ask about it.

Astute? Bizarre, he led FG to one of it's worst ever performances in a GE.

Politically astute my eye. :)

The longest ever Fine Gael government, which happened to bring in the harshest austerity measures ever witnessed? Technically it was Fianna Fail's for the taking, both that election and the election before. The only thing that riled up people more than austerity though was the financial crash which caused the austerity. An ancillary issue is that concerning housing, but all the major parties hold more or less the same position in relation to that. Varadkar probably had a small window between the economy being crap, to the time of the general election, to make moves towards big infrastructural developments. Some of these were achieved, but he could probably have done a better job here in general.

Sinn Fein has had a policy of blocking housing development in recent years, but their surge was more in relation to the public wanting 'something else'. From the point of view of choosing who leads a government a change is as good as a rest, right? Well that certainly was true in relation to Varadkar who seemingly pushed Fine Gael towards a younger, more progressive dynamic after Enda's reign (who I think was probably a better Taoiseach than most expected, or at least feared).

Of course it helps Varadkar that his main opponent has been Coveney. He is from 'a good family' and a stall-worth, but I think he is probably quite limited. Certainly keeping that enemy close was a good move by Varadkar for his own security. The Fine Gael members who have been first out with the long knives have had little political clout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

This document has traveled further than I have the last year.

The longest ever Fine Gael government, which happened to bring in the harshest austerity measures ever witnessed? Technically it was Fianna Fail's for the taking, both that election and the election before. The only thing that riled up people more than austerity though was the financial crash which caused the austerity. An ancillary issue is that concerning housing, but all the major parties hold more or less the same position in relation to that. Varadkar probably had a small window between the economy being crap, to the time of the general election, to make moves towards big infrastructural developments. Some of these were achieved, but he could probably have done a better job here in general.

Sinn Fein has had a policy of blocking housing development in recent years, but their surge was more in relation to the public wanting 'something else'. From the point of view of choosing who leads a government a change is as good as a rest, right? Well that certainly was true in relation to Varadkar who seemingly pushed Fine Gael towards a younger, more progressive dynamic after Enda's reign (who I think was probably a better Taoiseach than most expected, or at least feared).

Of course it helps Varadkar that his main opponent has been Coveney. He is from 'a good family' and a stall-worth, but I think he is probably quite limited. Certainly keeping that enemy close was a good move by Varadkar for his own security. The Fine Gael members who have been first out with the long knives have had little political clout.

Excuses.

Where has his 'astuteness' led him since leading FG to one of it's worst ever GE performances? To a confession in the Dáil and the centre of a criminal investigation into him.

He was looking for the “current“ draft. Not the original one. There are usually a number of drafts before the final document, usually just spelling and grammar corrections, but the base is the same.

This bit didn't interest you then, no?

He has been caught out lying numerous times Maryann, this 8am email from Brussels is yet another blatant lie that he has told on record.

10th of April, remember that date.

IMG-20210325-104946.jpg

Leo said he requested it "verbally".

IMG-20210325-104850.jpg.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2021-01-28/4/?highlight%5B0%5D=died

Yet this morning we learn....
    New documents, released to Sinn Féin’s Pearse Doherty under the Freedom of Information Act and supplied to the Irish Examiner, show Mr Varadkar also sought clarity as to when the document would be published, thereby confirming it was a private document.

The documents show that at 8am on April 10, Mr Varadkar emailed an official by saying: “Do you have a copy of this [the contract]? SH [Simon Harris] gave it to me but I put it into the recycling bin having read it. Want to look at it again.”

His official said it could be left on his desk. The then-Taoiseach said: “Get it sent out to me in Baldonnel this morning or tonight.”

Later that day, the official replied by saying: “The agreement will be in the car when you arrive in Baldonnel this evening.”

Let the excuses begin.

Extraordinary...he bounced the ball right in front of Byrne and she didn't ask about it.
    It is RTE. It doesn't like asking politicians tricky questions unless they are from SF.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is hard to understand the full significance. I am not sure why the replies to these emails have been edited out as well. These emails are certainly interesting and provide useful time stamps, but it is a frustratingly incomplete picture.

Harris would have been fully briefed on the document, had an earlier version, approved subsequent changes to the document, but having done so, would not have had a later version. He wouldn't necessarily have needed one, unless he wanted to share the document with someone else and in doing so, wanted the latest version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Floppybits wrote: »

If a Taoiseach as head of the executive is immune from osa prosecution re cabinet documents ,then thats it
    Couple that with how much of this document was in the public domain and how it was already circulated outside cabinet
    Thats been my view from the start
    The only hope is this drags on untill the next election,which is very very unlikely
    Tops a few more months,maybe 6 for the investigation and inevitable conclusion that there was no crime
    Top brass in Sinn Féin have more or less accepted this ,with Matt Carty carefull to emphasise the political aspect of this on primetime recently more than anything else
    Expect the spin from FG next to be the 'waste of Garda resources' etc etc
    No one is going to disuade the faithfull centre over to the left/SF and theres no home for your typical FG leaning voter other than FG

I know we are not supposed to talk about SF here but there is that aspect
    So brace yourselves for 2 years of the Teeesh and of course a rehabilitation of murph
    After that it will be Madam Taoiseach :)

• Advertisement

Let the excuses begin.

He dictated the email, therefore he requested it verbally. :rolleyes:

Probably better focusing on the substantive points.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Harris would have been fully briefed on the document, had an earlier version, approved subsequent changes to the document, but having done so, would not have had a later version. He wouldn't necessarily have needed one, unless he wanted to share the document with someone else and in doing so, wanted the latest version.

I was trying to work out how much one can read into the word 'tweaking' but realized that it's close to impossible. At face value it appears that the document was basically finished, but there's no way to determine that at this distance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement