Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

“ i'm unsure if cockdown is actually a compliment”

Do me a favour. One homophobic tweet reply is one too many, and Leo doesn’t deserve to be jeered at while out for a walk in his personal time like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Read the quote tweets lads. I'm not making it up. There's a very sinister element to the way he is attacked.
    Not worth the deflection..

https://i.postimg.cc/YC1M609K/Screenshot-2021-03-28-Dubs-life-on-Twitter.png

Screenshot-2021-03-28-Dubs-life-on-Twitter.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Read the quote tweets lads. I'm not making it up. There's a very sinister element to the way he is attacked.

Or one gob****e shouting at two lads out for a walk Paddy.

“ i'm unsure if cockdown is actually a compliment”

Do me a favour. One homophobic tweet reply is one too many, and Leo doesn’t deserve to be jeered at while out for a walk in his personal time like that.
    'Do me a favour,' don't be dishonest and create strawmans.

I never suggested Leo deserved to be jeered at, nor did I say any level of homophobic abuse is acceptable.
    I was replying to someone who conflated disliking or having an issue with Varadkar's behaviour with being homophobic, and implied that a 'barely concealed veil of homophobia' was prevalent.
    Anything but own the barely concealed veil of homophobia in people obsession with Varadkar.

Surprised there wasn't more pirate flags and #think32 in the profiles tbh.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure Leo has been more insulting to others, on the record than anything in that tweet or comments.

But not sure what the issue is, because if that tweet gets x amount of likes, Leo will say he was all for it anyway.

Suckit wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Leo has been more insulting to others, on the record than anything in that tweet or comments.

Any examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

https://twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1376240256341663752?s=19

I see the #leotheleak crowd have taken to abusing him while he's out walking now.

It's disappointing but unsurprising that there is homophobic abuse being levelled at him on twitter.

"Him and the lad on the way back from a cruising spot" "Looks like the two boys are taking cockdown very well" etc.

I'm sure the regulars here will claim that it's staged and really it's a YFG who did it. Anything but own the barely concealed veil of homophobia in people obsession with Varadkar.

'Own'? The idea that we've FG on the one hand and everyone critical of FG all part of the same homogeneous group on the other is worryingly simplistic.
    If you can find any homophobia report it.

Any examples?
    Plenty. And I am glad you asked.

First, could you please point to a 'nasty' comment under that tweet that was made before I posted and I will happily provide one *worse that was made by Leo.

*subject to popular consensus if the comment linked is debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I have no doubt that Varadkar will have been the subject of personal abuse. I'd say that only a small, but not insignificant amount of it has been homophobic. However I think personal attacks on politicians is actually an endemic issue. As it stands I have no idea why anyone would choose to get into politics and allow themselves to be subject to that level of vitriol.

I do think that personalized hashtag campaigns of the style of #PaddyThePieceOfSht does encourage this sort of behavior, and we also have a lot of people saying that they don't care about legal procedure in relation to the subject of the thread (either saying that the police investigation is irrelevant, or that the police cannot be trusted because of vague conspiracy mutterings). Again this doesn't exactly foster healthy political discourse.

• Advertisement

It's possible to be critical/unhappy of LV, FG, the Government etc. There's no issue with that. It's this relatively new thing where politicians are harassed, abused, and threatened mostly on social media, but increasingly in real life as well that is so worrying. We have great access to our politicians in Ireland, but that will change if this nastiness continues. You'll also reach a stage where no one will want to go into politics due to the abuse - Leo out for a run with his partner getting abuse from some incoherent thick, people with pirate flags in their profile hoping Helen McEntee miscarries her child, SF supporters lumping on journalists for having the temerity to write about the largest party in opposition etc.

It's chilling stuff, and if you lie down with dogs then you wake up with fleas.

It's possible to be critical/unhappy of LV, FG, the Government etc. There's no issue with that. It's this relatively new thing where politicians are harassed, abused, and threatened mostly on social media, but increasingly in real life as well that is so worrying. We have great access to our politicians in Ireland, but that will change if this nastiness continues. You'll also reach a stage where no one will want to go into politics due to the abuse - Leo out for a run with his partner getting abuse from some incoherent thick, people with pirate flags in their profile hoping Helen McEntee miscarries her child, SF supporters lumping on journalists for having the temerity to write about the largest party in opposition etc.

First off... If you think the general public are going to pull back on abusing politicians because they don't 'like' or 'accept' it then you should keep hoping, wishing, praying and whatever else it is you do when you don't like something.
    I agree that it mustn't be pleasant being called a w*nker while out on a jog or walk, but it happens to almost all politicians, usually the ones higher up and that are more disliked.
    It will NEVER reach a stage that 'no one' will want to go into politics.
    Do you think that peoples lives are unaffected by a politicians decisions?
    If that is the case then you should stay far away from anything political. Sometimes (often) people have had enough, and until they find a way to lock them down and suppress them, then expect abuse.

FWIW, IMO what Leo got there, is name calling.
    As a politician, he can choose to call it abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Any examples?
    The other day he made some smug quip about everybody thinking he's Taoiseach.

He's a dickhead.

The other day he made some smug quip about everybody thinking he's Taoiseach.

He's a dickhead.

Ya, that's exactly the same as being issued with death threats, being called a wanker while out for a run with his partner, and having homophobic losers on Twitter suggest he's just back from a cottaging session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Where do you stand on people calling members of the public 'scum' or 'slow' based on who they vote for? FG, nor Varadkar are above such behaviour as you describe. We've their defenders abusing minorities to use for deflection.
    IMO if people stick to the politics we won't go far wrong.

Varadkar is a poor public representative with many flaws. He's currently under criminal investigation.

Where do you stand on people calling members of the public 'scum' or 'slow' based on who they vote for? FG, nor Varadkar are above such behaviour as you describe. We've their defenders abusing minorities to use for deflection.
    IMO if people stick to the politics we won't go far wrong.

You're the lad who decided to create an account here with a username of Varadkar's partner, and then proceeded to mention 'Leo', 'LV', 'Varadkar' thousands of times. I'm not suggesting you are homophobic for a second, but, you are, in a small and insignificant way, part of the wider issue. Your animus towards him is obsessional, and it all feeds into this frenzy of nastiness that is affecting politicians from across the political spectrum. Criticise the government, opposition, political ideologies, even statements, but obsession with an individual is weird tbh.

It's not good. It's bad for a social democracy like Ireland, as it individualises everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Sure does prove that he's being targeted and harassed out of a thinly-veiled homophobic obsession .

It proves that he is the target of online homophobic abuse, which was the point.
    I know people like to dress it down and go, 'ah sure its not that bad' but then they are not the target of said abuse.

In the week where there has been a lot of attention brought on social media companies not doing anything about various abuse levelled out on their platform, I would have thought it was a good point to make. But some people are knee-deep in this type of behaviour so....

markodaly wrote: »
    It proves that he is the target of online homophobic abuse, which was the point.
    No, that wasn't the point - but thanks for completely missing the actual point that's already been explained several times.

I know people like to dress it down and go, 'ah sure its not that bad' but then they are not the target of said abuse.

In the week where there has been a lot of attention brought on social media companies not doing anything about various abuse levelled out on their platform, I would have thought it was a good point to make. But some people are knee-deep in this type of behaviour so....
    That wasn't the point made and you're making a strawman.

It'd be nice if you could read the posts you're responding to in the future, ta. You can start with this one.

Suckit wrote: »

FWIW, IMO what Leo got there, is name calling.
    As a politician, he can choose to call it abuse.

So homophobic abuse is not abuse, got it.

markodaly wrote: »
    So homophobic abuse is not abuse, got it.
    He was referring to the video where someone called him a useless wanker - how on Earth do you think 'useless wanker' is homophobic?

• Advertisement

You're the lad who decided to create an account here with a username of Varadkar's partner, and then proceeded to mention 'Leo', 'LV', 'Varadkar' thousands of times. I'm not suggesting you are homophobic for a second, but, you are, in a small and insignificant way, part of the wider issue. Your animus towards him is obsessional, and it all feeds into this frenzy of nastiness that is affecting politicians from across the political spectrum. Criticise the government, opposition, political ideologies, even statements, but obsession with an individual is weird tbh.

It's not good. It's bad for a social democracy like Ireland, as it individualises everything.

Yes, there is a lot of that going on. Perpetual outrage at everything and social media is another outlet where one can abuse others anytime and anywhere, without having to leave the house. Its also effortless, back in the day, if you wanted to abuse someone, you would have to ring them up, or send them a letter. Too much work for many but now, its easy.

He was referring to the video where someone called him a useless wanker - how on Earth do you think 'useless wanker' is homophobic?

Being called a useless wanker would be abuse in my book, not homophobic but abuse nontheless. The comments on Twitter IS homophobic though and people dress it down as nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

It's not surprising to see the usual suspects either playing down the abuse, or excusing it entirely, implying Varadkar deserves it or brought it on himself.

It's very revealing to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Politicians are public figures

They are in the public eye.

Not everybody is going to like them

They often behave in a way unbefitting of their office and pay grade

Some people will take it upon themselves to express their opinions about the conduct of these politicians

We should have stricter laws governing it but as it stands, what happened was harmless enough and people should be able to criticise public representatives, especially when they are embroiled in something smelling as foul as Leo's controversy.

On the whole, if this is the worst thing to happen to Leo all week he's not doing too bad.

I'm not even a politician or public figure or anything and I received a graphic threat of sexual violence from a builder as I was walking down the street on Friday. There are a lot of nasty people out there.

If somebody called me a useless wanker from a car I would piss myself laughing. The only way it would hurt my feelings is if I legitimately was a useless wanker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Fascinating how the the FG supporting media are trying to change the narrative from Varadkar being under criminal investigation to Varardkar getting homophobic abuse. The same attempt to distract from Varadkar being under criminal investigation is evident here. The McEntee puff piece appeared in the ironically named "Sunday Independent", didn't it? No doubt this and the Varadkar homophobic abuse will be pushed as talking points for the media today.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

jmcc wrote: »
    Fascinating how the the FG supporting media are trying to change the narrative from Varadkar being under criminal investigation to Varardkar getting homophobic abuse. The same attempt to distract from Varadkar being under criminal investigation is evident here. The McEntee puff piece appeared in the ironically named "Sunday Independent", didn't it? No doubt this and the Varadkar homophobic abuse will be pushed as talking points for the media today.

Regards...jmcc

Everyone is aware of Leo being under investigation at this stage.

What does deflecting actually achieve?

He will either be charged or not, and a thread on boards will have no bearing on that decision.

Paranoia.

Everyone is aware of Leo being under investigation at this stage.

What does deflecting actually achieve?
    The idea is to change the narrative from Varadkar being under criminal investigation for leaking a confidential document to one where Varadkar is the injured party. It is a rather crass attempt at manipulating public opinion. Remember the milkshake event?
    He will either be charged or not, and a thread on boards will have no bearing on that decision.
    That's up to the DPP.
    Paranoia.
    Has Varadkar been interviewed yet (by the Gardai rather than by some FG friendly "journalist")?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

smurgen wrote: »
    Hopefully he'll get to use a mean girl quote or two when he visits the Gardai station.

He might borrow from the Simpsons. "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything" - Bart

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

jmcc wrote: »
    The idea is to change the narrative from Varadkar being under criminal investigation for leaking a confidential document to one where Varadkar is the injured party. It is a rather crass attempt at manipulating public opinion. Remember the milkshake event?

That's up to the DPP.

Has Varadkar been interviewed yet (by the Gardai rather than by some FG friendly "journalist")?

Regards...jmcc

Most people have made their minds up about him at this stage.

• Advertisement

Most people have made their minds up about him at this stage.
    He admitted to leaking a confidential document to a friend. He led FG to one of its worst electoral defeats ever. He has destroyed the FG reputation, however misplaced, for decency and honourability.

He is an asset to SF. His actions led to SF beating FG in the GE. He allowed Charlie Flanagan and his attempt to commemorate the Black and Tans drag FG from around 30% in the opinion polls in late 2019 to just 20% in the GE.

The more you FGers try to minimise his actions in leaking the confidential document to his friend the worse you are making it. People are tired of the spectacle of middle aged man acting like a schoolgirl on Social Media rather than a politician. And it is damaging FG. But by all means, continue to help SF gain in the polls by not dealing with the Varadkar problem yourselves.

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement