Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

jmcc wrote: »
    Wasn't there a letter to Martin Heydon (?) outlining the effects of MO'T's organisation campaigning against FG?

Regards...jmcc

Yeah you are correct jmcc.
    A letter of 11 February 2019 to Martin Heydon, Chairman of Fine Gael from Matt O Tuathail expressly threatened that a meeting was needed to “avoid further escalation in the dispute about representation and reform” – that they “will individually [campaign] against their local Fine Gael TDs, Councillors and Senators”.

EwrgIM2WgAcI0gW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

What? :):)

Reducing taxation is not illegal.

Argument over, come back when you wish to genuinely debate the issue.

I actually think that disclosing Cabinet information about the Budget prior to a Dail vote would be more serious, but you do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I actually think that disclosing Cabinet information about the Budget prior to a Dail vote would be more serious, but you do you.

Whether it is or isn't, is not the point of this discussion.

If this proceeds to a court, it will be because Varadkar is accused of an illegal act.

In that case the law states that if he is accused of gaining an advantage then the burden of proof is on him...advantage is 'presumed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yeah you are correct jmcc.

EwrgIM2WgAcI0gW.jpg

That's the nail in the coffin right there.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

That's the nail in the coffin right there.
    I would have to be investigated and the only way out for FG and Varadkar would be if it could be established that Varadkar was unaware. Perhaps that's why the mobile devices have been interrogated.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I would have to be investigated and the only way out for FG and Varadkar would be if it could be established that Varadkar was unaware. Perhaps that's why the mobile devices have been interrogated.

Regards...jmcc

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Leo helped him word that letter.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Regards...jmcc

Trawl of Heydons emails?

He sounded fierce nervous on the wireless with McInerney there tbh.
    Martin Heydon challenging Maria Bailey for the most cringe radio interview ever.

I thought he was going to cry on a number of occasions.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/?s=08#/radio1/21924573

Have a listen again, shortly after 5 mins in.....

Heydon "the hypocrisy of the Sinn Féin party here, is outstanding"

McInerney "Martin, I don't know why you're bringing it back to Sinn Féin, I want to talk about the investigation....."

Heydon "Ummm, because, because, because..... they're the ones laying the charge here"

McInerney "Dafuq you talkin about*, the Gardai are investigating, that's sweet eff all to do with Sinn Féin....."

*that bit isn't exactly what she said, but you can tell it's what she wanted to say. The whole "but Sinn Féin" is familiar to me...... No idea why.

Who thought it was a good idea to let him near a mic FFS?

Trawl of Heydons emails?

He sounded fierce nervous on the wireless with McInerney there tbh.
    Sarah is probably one of the best journalists in RTE. She has an instinct for news.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Fascinating how the the FG supporting media are trying to change the narrative from Varadkar being under criminal investigation to Varardkar getting homophobic abuse. The same attempt to distract from Varadkar being under criminal investigation is evident here. The McEntee puff piece appeared in the ironically named "Sunday Independent", didn't it? No doubt this and the Varadkar homophobic abuse will be pushed as talking points for the media today.

Regards...jmcc
    That's the squirrel I had mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It might be more serious but he has not been charged with this. Let's just stick to what he has been charged with.

• Advertisement

skimpydoo wrote: »
    It might be more serious but he has not been charged with this. Let's just stick to what he has been charged with.
    Nothing at the moment. (Better check Twitter to see if Leo the Leak has tweeted that he has been charged. :) ) The Gardai are still investigating and may forward a file to the DPP.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Nothing at the moment. (Better check Twitter to see if Leo the Leak has tweeted that he has been charged. :) ) The Gardai are still investigating and may forward a file to the DPP.

Regards...jmcc

Whatever happens - remember if it’s not on Twitter it’s not real. The story is dead and Leo did nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Stick to what he has been charged with? So stick to nothing then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You're the lad who decided to create an account here with a username of Varadkar's partner, and then proceeded to mention 'Leo', 'LV', 'Varadkar' thousands of times. I'm not suggesting you are homophobic for a second, but, you are, in a small and insignificant way, part of the wider issue. Your animus towards him is obsessional, and it all feeds into this frenzy of nastiness that is affecting politicians from across the political spectrum. Criticise the government, opposition, political ideologies, even statements, but obsession with an individual is weird tbh.

It's not good. It's bad for a social democracy like Ireland, as it individualises everything.

If you can find one post were I talk about him that doesn't relate to something he said, did or government policy it will be a surprise to me.
    I think using the man's ethnicity or sexuality, (as you do here and Blanch does regularly and Mark O'Daly and more recently Pintsmanpaddy) to deflect in an unrelated discussion is a form of abuse.

The man is gaffe prone, lacks empathy and is under criminal investigation for passing a confidential government document to his pal. Using his sexuality to distract is despicable and shouldn't be allowed IMO.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Stick to what he has been charged with? So stick to nothing then?
    He has admitted leaking a confidential document to his friend.

Regards...jmcc

Regards...jmcc

However he has not been charged with anything, like that poster I was responding to was suggesting, correct?

However he has not been charged with anything, like that poster I was responding to was suggesting, correct?

It's whether the act was criminal or not. He did the deed. Nothing will change that. Criminality will compound the disgrace for FF/FG/Green.

It's whether the act was criminal or not. He did the deed. Nothing will change that. Criminality will compound the disgrace for FF/FG/Green.

Sorry James, but this is the post I am referring to.

This is factually incorrect as he has not been charged with anything, can you agree?

This is factually incorrect as he has not been charged with anything, can you agree?

Yet.

The Gards are currently preparing a file to be sent to the DPP, which the DPP will have to consider, the file will come with a recommendation from the Gards, which the DPP can choose to take into consideration or ignore.

Leo hasn't spoken with the Gards yet, not sure if that's any sign of what's to come or not. But it certainly appears Leo's in trouble.

No, You quoted this:

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Of course he has not been charged. I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting otherwise.

It's also worth noting that the cabinet at the time of the incident being discussed was comprised of FG and Independents relying on FF through the Confidence and Supply agreement.

It's hard to see how FF and GP will be disgraced whatever the outcome.

No, You quoted this:

No James, you need read the full trail. He was responding to me and I replied.

Has Varadkar been charged with anything James, yes or no?

elperello wrote: »
    If Varadkar is charged then Martin is going to look very weak and will be deposed. The impact on FF support could send it below 10% in the opinion polls as Martin will be seen as nothing other than a puppet for FG even though FF has more seats than FG. The downside of this is far worse for FF. It will, to the electorate, be another confirmation of "vote FF, get FG".

Regards...jmcc

Yet.

The Gards are currently preparing a file to be sent to the DPP, which the DPP will have to consider, the file will come with a recommendation from the Gards, which the DPP can choose to take into consideration or ignore.

Leo hasn't spoken with the Gards yet, not sure if that's any sign of what's to come or not. But it certainly appears Leo's in trouble.

So, you are in full agreement with me then that he hasn't been charged with anything and the other poster was factually incorrect.

Thanks.

Of course he has not been charged. I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting otherwise.

It's also worth noting that the cabinet at the time of the incident being discussed was comprised of FG and Independents relying on FF through the Confidence and Supply agreement.

FF GP endorsed his leaking of a confidential document to a pal, when they voted confidence in him.

If Leo is charged and convicted, they endorsed an illegal act.

FF GP endorsed his leaking of a confidential document to a pal, when they voted confidence in him.
    I think that FF and the Greens said it was an FG problem and that FG had to deal with it. To date, it has not.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If Varadkar is charged then Martin is going to look very weak and will be deposed. The impact on FF support could send it below 10% in the opinion polls as Martin will be seen as nothing other than a puppet for FG even though FF has more seats than FG. The downside of this is far worse for FF. It will, to the electorate, be another confirmation of "vote FF, get FG".

Regards...jmcc

If Leo is charged and convicted, they endorsed an illegal act.

A couple of ifs and a bit of speculation and personal opinion but I'm not seeing the impact on FF and GP. But that's just my opinion.

A couple of ifs and a bit of speculation and personal opinion but I'm not seeing the impact on FF and GP. But that's just my opinion.

There's no ifs about what Leo did, he admitted it and apologised. FF and the Greens endorsed it.

Agreed, not seeing the FF/GP impact. If criminal charges are brought then it is because of information found during the investigation that isn't currently in the public domain, you can't blame FF/GP (or indeed other members of FG) for not having the full details of a subsequent investigation at the time they gave him their confidence. They are going on the facts currently available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Agreed, not seeing the FF/GP impact. If criminal charges are brought then it is because of information found during the investigation that isn't currently in the public domain, you can't blame FF/GP (or indeed other members of FG) for not having the full details of a subsequent investigation at the time they gave him their confidence. They are going on the facts currently available.

Complete speculation in the bolded bit and pre-empting the outcome.

FF and the GP endorsed Varadkar in the vote of confidence. They will be asked to own that decision and that is where the damage will be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement