Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

McMurphy wrote: »
    The thread is literally about Leo Varadkar leaking a confidential document to his friend. Seems odd some people seem to be throwing strops about how many times anyone is mentioning it tbh.

I think the important thing is to remember that Leo leaked a document to a pal.

If it doesn't contribute anything it is just noise.

The thing that you keep trying to dodge is that Leo leaked to his friend.

I don't understand what you are saying.

Why do you keep trying to distract.

Discord bots are able to advance a conversation better.

There you are with your strawman McMurphy.

What? Do you think complaining people are posting that Leo admitted leaking confidential information to his pal that the whole thing will go away?

You shouldn't be defending this sort of behavior. I may completely disagree with you, but you are able to advance a point, and reply to someone without red herrings.

If there's a thread on say 9/11 somewhere here on boards, and someone keeps saying 'we must remember that the Saudis flew planes into the twin towers' hundreds of times I would consider that to be trolling. Anybody sane would.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The thread is literally about Leo Varadkar leaking a confidential document to his friend. Seems odd some people seem to be throwing strops about how many times anyone is mentioning it tbh.
    Some are doing it to actively stop the fact that Varadkar leaked a confidential document to his friend being discussed and there is an element of exhibitionism ("Look at me, I'm smarter than you all and that's why it is my thread" type activity) with others.

FG is in a very serious situation if the DPP decides that it should go to trial. This will cause serious problems for FG in that some of the Varadkarites will be targets for the Coveneyites. I think that one of the FGers who lost her seat, Kate O'Connell, was already providing some good quotes for an Irish Examiner article. In a normal political party, there would be a smooth transition to a new leader and that would probably be Coveney. The problem is that FG is not a normal party and it is more likely to tear itself apart. (Dumb and Dumber versus John Bruton, Richard Bruton versus Enda Kenny, and Coveney versus Varadkar with the coronation of Leo the Fifth by the FG Oireachtas Party against the wishes and votes of the FG grassroots. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,598 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You shouldn't be defending this sort of behavior. I may completely disagree with you, but you are able to advance a point, and reply to someone without red herrings.

If there's a thread on say 9/11 somewhere here on boards, and someone keeps saying 'we must remember that the Saudis flew planes into the twin towers' hundreds of times I would consider that to be trolling. Anybody sane would.

I click on the thread to read the SAME point being made yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

In this post

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116766120&postcount=8543

I made a prediction about what you would reply with (the text is in white).

I was almost right. You disengage from your own argument, you repeat yourself, and you throw shapes. I didn't expect saying that 'Leo leaked' would require a separate post though.

As amusing as it was getting you to concede ground in relation to your proposition until you have nowhere else to turn, I think that does genuinely sound an end of things for now. Honestly I think doubling down on your position, that you were not saying, what you were clearly saying, was an error on your part.

'Leak' isn't defined in law. It's a colloquial term (that's mainly used here because it alliterates with Varadkar's first name). There isn't the Leaking Act 2008. Essentially you can say that any disclosure of information to a third party is a leak. This clearly was a leak. For better or worse it happens a lot in Irish politics. There was a leak a few days ago in relation to planned changes in lockdown restrictions. That's no comment on its legality.

You are just running interference at this stage.

I click on the thread to read the SAME point being made yet again.

You can find a point?

• Advertisement

What? Do you think complaining people are posting that Leo admitted leaking confidential information to his pal that the whole thing will go away?

Very, very odd.

It seems to be a thing the FG leaning folk do. Try make it foolish to be critical or even speak about things, such as when Leo Varadkar leaked a confidential government negotiation document to his pal, which by the way he is currently under criminal investigation for.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,598 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It seems to be a thing the FG leaning folk do. Try make it foolish to be critical or even speak about things, such as when Leo Varadkar leaked a confidential government negotiation document to his pal, which by the way he is currently under criminal investigation for.

Indeed, it is what Regina is routinely sent out to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I don't think you understand the meaning of a strawman argument, this thread is literally about Leo Varadkar, and him passing confidential information to OTuathail, his friend.

It has been preliminary investigated by the Gardai, and after speaking with Simon Harris and a whistleblower from within dept of health (a senior civil servant by all accounts) it has been upgraded to a criminal investigation.

You can argue all day about what law(s) if indeed any that he broke in doing so, but the very heart of the discussion and this thread, and what landed Leo in hot water is literally because he leaked the document to his pal, which he admitted and apologised for.

You have been here arguing everything from the documents initially not being really confidential, Leo as divine leader being authorised to leak the file, and his apology for how he leaked, not that he actually leaked.

Now it's complaining about mentioning the very thing at the heart of the discussion.

That being - Leo leaking a document to his pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Best analogy of this thread I've seen. Any attempt to discuss anything in detail ends up with a "Leo leaked it to a pal, the end" level of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Best analogy of this thread I've seen. Any attempt to discuss anything in detail ends up with a "Leo leaked it to a pal, the end" level of discussion.

Start another thread in Conspiracy Theories then.

• Advertisement

Start another thread in Conspiracy Theories then.

I don't understand you sorry. I'm not saying any theories, simply commenting on the poor level of debate in this thread in particular.

I find the thread is littered with a few posters constantly trying to stop us talking about the thread topic to discuss things they might be able to debunk. Like it some how cancels out Leo leaking to his pal.

In fact if, which is likely, no charges are brought, we'll see some folk selling it as vindication, when it won't be.

I find the thread is littered with a few posters constantly trying to stop us talking about the thread topic to discuss things they might be able to debunk. Like it some how cancels out Leo leaking to his pal.

In fact if, which is likely, no charges are brought, we'll see some folk selling it as vindication, when it won't be.

It's gaslighting, it's their default tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I think I have broken this thread. Nobody has been able to argue the points I made, and I've lost the energy to keep badgering their pathetic excuses any longer. I genuinely suggest people looking for meaningful conversation who subsequently stumble upon this thread don't engage any further in the echo chamber, it only encourages them.

I don't think you understand the meaning of a strawman argument

Oh McMurphy, I was quoting someone you're defending.
    It's gaslighting, it's their default tactic

You won't comment on this McMurphy, but it's same sort of deal.

Deflect, dodge, regurgitate. Clap each other on the back. Rinse, repeat. You'd need to rinse off some of that grease.

jmcc wrote: »
    Some are doing it to actively stop the fact that Varadkar leaked a confidential document to his friend being discussed and there is an element of exhibitionism ("Look at me, I'm smarter than you all and that's why it is my thread" type activity) with others.

What was the betting that you were going to run away from the argument?

I actually thought you would engage that time as it was kind of last chance saloon. Surely jmcc couldn't peddle the same line again? Not slide away like James Brown? Perhaps retreat from Goodey's letter and suggest another possible motive, or possibly move away altogether from corruption and take a different stance?

But nope, just the same old drivel. FG is bad, Leo leaked to a friend.

I really do intend not to check back on this thread, so feel free to have the last word. Something about FG, about deflection, not understanding what I'm saying, Leo leaking, a mix of the above. I'm sure ye will figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

For somebody that (specifically) mentions white noise a lot, and the thread has no point etc. You're championing yourself a bit much.

I know certain people were trying to downplay it before, but being forced to leave your home must be upsetting. Particularly for his partner Matt Barrett, who seems to get dragged into things and impacted more than any other Irish politicians partner.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/varadkar-forced-to-move-house-due-to-death-threats-40272487.html

I know certain people were trying to downplay it before, but being forced to leave your home must be upsetting. Particularly for his partner Matt Barrett, who seems to get dragged into things and impacted more than any other Irish politicians partner.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/varadkar-forced-to-move-house-due-to-death-threats-40272487.html

I thought Regina said anyone who gets murdered by loyalists was as a result of their own actions

That's a disgrace, and should be condemned by any right thinking individual!

Did he receive the death threats because he passed confidential information to zero craic, or was it for some other reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

This is a disgraceful reflection on Irish society, that a political figure has been forced to leave his residence due to security concerns. Like him or loath him, he has a right to a personal life. And I wonder if the latent homophobia in society today is the reason why Matt is constantly dragged into debates. Certain individuals profess in civilised society to be okay with homosexuality, but dig a little deeper and one realises their extremely conservative views have not gone anywhere

costacorta wrote: »
    That’s the SF/IRA online brigade for you. As Grizzly said We haven’t gone away you know.

Sure that’st the way Scumbags always did their business if you don’t do as we say we will shoot you or kneecap you ..

Remember jean Mc Conville and more recently Paul Quinn that’s what the scum who vote SF/IRA are all about ..

That's about 4 times now you've brought "SF/IRA" into the thread (I thought Ian Paisley had died btw) however you're way off the mark.
    BettyS wrote: »
    This is a disgraceful reflection on Irish society, that a political figure has been forced to leave his residence due to security concerns. Like him or loath him, he has a right to a personal life. And I wonder if the latent homophobia in society today is the reason why Matt is constantly dragged into debates.

The people issuing these threats won't take kindly to being described as "Irish" would be my guess.

Loyalists aren't exactly known for their Irish passports and declaring Irish as their nationality on census forms

It's an interesting development, mad how these things always happen same time there's woeful polls on the govt.

thumbnail_p1-graphic.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That's about 4 times now you've brought "SF/IRA" into the thread (I thought Ian Paisley had died btw) however you're way off the mark.

The people issuing these threats won't take kindly to being described as "Irish" would be my guess.

Loyalists aren't exactly known for their Irish passports and declaring Irish as their nationality on census forms

It's an interesting development, mad how these things always happen same time there's woeful polls on the govt.

thumbnail_p1-graphic.jpg

Are you suggesting the story is made up because of his poll?

Are you suggesting the story is made up because of his poll?

No. I'm suggesting it's still the same story about loyalists threatening varadkar because of the sea border due to the same Brexit they were instrumental in getting over the line.

It's rehashed the same weekend as a disastrous poll.

And it's got absolutely nothing, zero, zilch and nada to do with this thread which is about him leaking confidential documents relating to a €210m contract between the IMO and the Irish govt to his pal, who happened to be the head of the IMOs rival organisation the NAGP, and the criminal investigation by the guards that is being conducted on the back of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Him having to move has more to do with him being useless in other areas of his job and exactly nothing to do with this thread's topic.

Maybe a title change would be preferred "Leo Varadkar - shining example of trendy, competent leadership or serially corrupt, lawless waster?"

Him having to move has more to do with him being useless in other areas of his job and exactly nothing to do with this thread's topic.

Probably has more to do with the death threats I would say plum.

Maybe a title change would be preferred "Leo Varadkar - shining example of trendy, competent leadership or serially corrupt, lawless waster?

Yes of course, probably better suited for the FFG thread or the FG to do nothing one

It's not relative to this thread however, which is about him passing confidential information, and the guards criminally investigations him for that.

And besides...........Leo doesn't seem too bothered by it anyway.

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1378607702188945408?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

"

What an utterly ridiculous comment.

I suppose now it'll be okay to force Stephen Kenny out of his home for the useless job he's doing with the Irish football team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

IngazZagni wrote: »
    What an utterly ridiculous comment.

Please explain how. The thread is currently about how he leaked documents as per the title. Many came on here this morning attempting to point fingers at people who want to discuss that story as somehow responsible for death threats he received due to people in Belfast thinking he's erasing their identity. I don't even know the particulars of that story and had to further research it to respond here because the article posted was behind a pay wall.

So I'm ridiculous for highlighting that the story about him moving house is totally irrelevant. Cool.
    IngazZagni wrote: »
    I suppose now it'll be okay to force Stephen Kenny out of his home for the useless job he's doing with the Irish football team?

I don't know anything about whatever that is either.

Please explain how. The thread is currently about how he leaked documents as per the title. Many came on here last night attempting to point fingers at people who want to discuss that story as somehow responsible for death threats he received due to people in Belfast thinking he's erasing their identity. I don't even know the particulars of that story and had to further research it to respond here because the article posted was behind a pay wall.

So I'm ridiculous for highlighting that the story about him moving house is totally irrelevant. Cool.

I don't know anything about whatever that is either.

Here's a version that's not behind a PayPal, very wishy-washy and light on details, however there's this.
    This news comes just days after Leo and Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney were targeted in graffiti that appeared in Belfast.

Which is undoubtedly a continuation of this.
    A heightened security operation, involving the Garda and Police Service of Northern Ireland, will be put in place when senior members of the Government go to Northern Ireland following an increase in the threat level posed to them by loyalist groups.
    from the 21st of March.

I don't think loyalists care about Leo leaking the details of a vibrant though, hence why it's got zero to do with this thread.

Maybe a title change would be preferred "Leo Varadkar - shining example of trendy, competent leadership or serially corrupt, lawless waster?"

Satisfaction with the government’s handling of the pandemic was at its highest when Leo was in charge.

• Advertisement

To quote my good friend McMurphy in relation to posters claiming a news article about Varadkar is off topic in a thread about Varadkar:
    Imagine talking about Leo Varadkar in a Leo Varadkar thread.

This became a general Varadkar thread months ago. Anything Varadkar related has been put in here over that time. To suddenly have an issue about it right now when an article about him having to move house because of credible death threats is posted, having previously been fine with it, is an odd one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement