Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Maybe you prefer the way things are run in Brazil ?

Place up in a heap...

Did you read my post, I pointed out reasons why government satisfaction ratings are down compared to when Leo was in charge are nothing to do with whether Leo was in charge or not.

Of course maybe Leo would be doing things dramatically differently in which case you might enlighten me.

I don't follow Brazilian politics closely but it does seem to be in a heap. If Leo was in charge there it'd probably be in a heap too but that wouldn't necessarily be down to Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Has any journalists clarified the BS story yesterday about Leo "having to move out"?

I can't understand how anyone could make a "mistake" about that tbh. Lots of fingers being pointed at Neale Photoshop Richmond as the "source" on social media since yesterday, but not sure about that.

Wonder who spotted Leo and Matt at their apartment complex early afternoon yesterday, which resulted in Leo's people having to contact the radio station yesterday to clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's still appearing in yahoo news and pink news. Although they both mention the Sunday Independent as the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Suckit wrote: »
    It's still appearing in yahoo news and pink news. Although they both mention the Sunday Independent as the source.
    Also still on the Liberal where they mention the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's the exact same article on both. I'd say Yahoo are just automatically pulling in content from Pink News, which probably first reported it due to the claimed homophobia angle. They're not an Irish publication, so it probably hasn't come to their attention to amend it or take it down (although the author seems to be Irish and based in Ireland).
    skimpydoo wrote: »
    Also still on the Liberal where they mention the Indo.

The Liberal manage to mention the word "boyfriend" three times in a seven sentence article. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not a bit of it. I'm in my geranium bed up to my ankles in stony grey soil.

Checking boards.ie is good for letting the back relax.

Early to be planting geraniums with the severe frost ahead of us this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think that video was before the escalated threats.

Of course it was, but the fake news manipulators have to keep busy. Try and find where those things start on social media and you really go into the darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

blanch152 wrote: »
    Of course it was, but the fake news manipulators have to keep busy. Try and find where those things start on social media and you really go into the darkness.

I thought you were a fan of Leo? :rolleyes:

Is there a quiet lull before the storm where Leo will be charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1380877300602912769?s=21

God I don’t know how anyone can support this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You're right. Heard through the grapevine that many now in FG are sick and tired of Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,603 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Which one? There's a choice in that tweet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You're right. Heard through the grapevine that many now in FG are sick and tired of Leo.

Yep. Never forget - The grassroots wanted Coveney over Leo

But at the time Leo’s crowd were promising the sun the moon and the stars in the next election ....Leo had the X factor, had wide appeal in the country, was hugely popular apparently....

We all know how that turned out ...

Then the various gaffes since the election and of course this investigation

varadkar is on borrowed time.

He knows it, FG PP know it, the FG members know it.

Which one? There's a choice in that tweet. :)

So you think Paddy Cosgrave is comparable to someone who occupies the office of Taoiseach? Seriously?

Paddy doesn’t pay taxes here, but yet tries to dictate his agenda through SinnFein supporters and now anti Varadkar articles.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/paddy-cosgrave-no-saint-over-us-fund-tax-arrangements-1.3863349

It’s a sad state of affairs that those trying to take down Varadkar would get into bed with this individual. Looks like the Portuguese are getting sick of him too:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/portugal-stands-by-11m-annual-fee-to-host-web-summit-1.4436786?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Ftechnology%2Fportugal-stands-by-11m-annual-fee-to-host-web-summit-1.4436786

But at the time Leo’s crowd were promising the sun the moon and the stars in the next election ....Leo had the X factor, had wide appeal in the country, was hugely popular apparently....

I suppose what separates FG from some other parties is that members and colleagues actually get a vote on who becomes leader rather than have it made by a couple of sinister lads in a Smokey room above the Fenian Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I suppose what separates FG from some other parties is that members and colleagues actually get a vote on who becomes leader rather than have it made by a couple of sinister lads in a Smokey room above the Fenian Club.

Connolly House usually decides that stuff Doc.

Nobody really knows who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well all political leaders are on borrowed time at the end of the day. But FG are doing fine in the polls and don't seem to be bearing the brunt of public anger over the handling of the pandemic. If Leo gets past the leak business (and the government goes the distance) I see no reason he should not serve out his forthcoming term as taoiseach and lead FG into the next election. Obviously if that goes badly his position will come into doubt but that's the rules of the game for most political leaders.

The members of FG voted for Coveney to be leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yep as did the members of FG vote for Varadkar to be leader.

Really? When was that?

Has Leo been charged with anything yet?

• Advertisement

Really? When was that?

Has Leo been charged with anything yet?

3,772 members voted for Leo

7,051 members voted for Simon.

Leo is the leader.

Barefaced cheek isn't a criminal offence sadly.

I never knew FF worked that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

3,772 members voted for Leo

7,051 members voted for Simon.

Leo is the leader.

Barefaced cheek isn't a criminal offence sadly.

So the FG politburo (Oireachtas party) installed their choice as leader against the will of the majority of FG members? Did they buy fake votes in the same way they bought fake likes?

And these people dare lecture others about democracy!

Regards...jmcc

Looks like I was right when I said it was the lull before the storm. Leo has been awful quiet this week. I think he has finally realised it's best when he says nothing at all.

Once the pandemic is over it will immediately be consigned to history and will have very little impact on politics going forward.

This is quite the optimistic take.

Far more likely is FF canvassers calling to doors, to be met with stony faces and "I've friends who work in hospitality", or "My wife is a hairdresser", or "I can't get engineers from the UK to service machines which were vital to my business".

I can assure you that FF's mishandling of the pandemic and their enthusiastic embrace of authoritarianism will be the primary factor in my choice of preferences at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

b0nk1e wrote: »
    This is quite the optimistic take.

Far more likely is FF canvassers calling to doors, to be met with stony faces and "I've friends who work in hospitality", or "My wife is a hairdresser", or "I can't get engineers from the UK to service machines which were vital to my business".

I can assure you that FF's mishandling of the pandemic and their enthusiastic embrace of authoritarianism will be the primary factor in my choice of preferences at the next election.
    There is definitely not only one party to blame for the mishandling. There was another party in charge for the first few months and they didn't do a great job either, even with the shite movie quotes. IIRC the Tanaiste also regularly undermined NPHET. Coalition there at the minute.
    I doubt people will forget their part in it either.

There is definitely not only one party to blame for the mishandling. There was another party in charge for the first few months and they didn't do a great job either, even with the shite movie quotes. IIRC the Tanaiste also regularly undermined NPHET. Coalition there at the minute.
    I doubt people will forget their part in it either.
    FG has been involved since the last election before FF and the Greens joined them at the table. A right rogues gallery.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    FG has been involved since the last election before FF and the Greens joined them at the table. A right rogues gallery.

So...are you suggesting Sinn Féin would be a better option? The party that will be ruled by twitter & tic tok & the latest hashtag?
    Or Soc Dems/Labour? Whatever about the Government’s terrible performance - the opposition has been a laughing stock it’s been so poor, and that’s saying something as I’ve had a good look them following the performance of our Government through this crisis.
    Sinn Fein stated it would ‘never go against NPHET’, a public health advisory body whose only remit is Covid. Sinn Féin that want and still want Mandatory quarantine here, despite other countries looking at vaccine certs, and their northern counterparts looking at travel corridors. Soc Dems who actually support ISAG - who still want Ireland in a permanent state of lockdown until we get to 5/10 cases per day no matter what the cost. Alan Kelly who changes with the wind & talks the greatest load of waffle.
    At least Leo got the country reopened last July when cases were tiny & Holohan wanted to keep everything closed until August 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I think this thread has run out of steam, to be honest.

The real issues have reared their ugly heads, and the implants in the various media both written and audio have had their slates lifted and their pale pond life exposed.

Very strange silence from those allegedly ‘horrified’ by alleged ‘corruption’ and ‘telling lies’ their favourite expression.

Their are happy now their favourite ‘pastime’ reareational rioting has them on the news headlines again.

Time to expose the real issues, I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think this thread has run out of steam, to be honest.

The real issues have reared their ugly heads, and the implants in the various media both written and audio have had their slates lifted and their pale pond life exposed.

Very strange silence from those allegedly ‘horrified’ by alleged ‘corruption’ and ‘telling lies’ their favourite expression.

Their are happy now their favourite ‘pastime’ reareational rioting has them on the news headlines again.

Time to expose the real issues, I feel.

I don't think teenage loyalists in Belfast, Coleraine, Larne and Derry care too much about Leo leaking a confidential document to his friend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement