Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Think you are hyping again, the understanding reported in the media is that the conclusion of the Garda investigation is that there is not likely to be a prosecution, presumably because no crime was committed.

On a lesser scale than the conclusions about the Storey funeral, for example.

Those conclusions came AFTER the PPS and independent counsel had a look at it and did THEIR jobs. The DPP still has to do their job here.

And by the way one was the breaching of regulations with a fine as a penalty and the other is either corruption (with a prison sentence) or the breaking of the OSA also with a prison sentence as a penalty.

What Varadkar is alleged to have done was already far ahead in terms of seriousness and gravity.
    I have no idea why you keep trying to drag the thread to that specific comparison...there is none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Think you are hyping again, the understanding reported in the media is that the conclusion of the Garda investigation is that there is not likely to be a prosecution, presumably because no crime was committed.

On a lesser scale than the conclusions about the Storey funeral, for example.

The word, 'presumably' is doing an awful lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If the DPP decide not to proceed with prosecution, does that make them "corrupt"?

Of course if you're alledged to have done something that never happened,and suggested by a Garda source for the British Times as such,all's good in the hood
    All's not good in the hood mind you for small publications or indeed persons who were definite in saying the Tánaiste is a criminal in those circumstances
    A lot of that on twitter too from the usual cohort
    Lucky,Leo is already magnanimous,can turn the other cheek,just gets on with his job and said he wouldn't be suing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Of course if you're alledged to have done something that never happened,and suggested by a Garda source for the British Times as such,all's good in the hood
    All's not good in the hood mind you for small publications or indeed persons who were definite in saying the Tánaiste is a criminal in those circumstances
    A lot of that on twitter too from the usual cohort
    Lucky,Leo is already magnanimous,can turn the other cheek,just gets on with his job and said he wouldn't be suing
    So Leo never leaked a document?

• Advertisement

skimpydoo wrote: »
    So Leo never leaked a document?

Not illegally anyway if the Garda source of the British Times is to be believed
    He should have got O'Tuathail in to kildare street for a face to face briefing
    Same net effect

Theres going to be a book on this controversy no doubt that will reveal a lot that currently cannot be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Not illegally anyway if the Garda source of the British Times is to be believed
    He should have got O'Tuathail in to kildare street for a face to face briefing
    Same net effect

Theres going to be a book on this controversy no doubt that will reveal a lot that currently cannot be said

It's deja vu. All over again.

I can't remember what reply was given when I made this argument. Probably something along the lines of 'Nobody understand a word you are saying' or some other sand in the face response.

It's deja vu. All over again.

I can't remember what reply was given when I made this argument. Probably something along the lines of 'Nobody understand a word you are saying' or some other sand in the face response.

I can remember it, because you never made that argument at all. In fact I believe you went around the houses with pedanticism insisting that Leo didn't even apologise for leaking the document at all, and when he said he was sorry for not sharing it with OTuathail in a more formal manner, - IE bringing him in and going through the document in a clear and transparent manner, (or the opposite of leaking it as the rest of us would call it).

You implied what Leo was saying was he apologised for not leaking it in a more formal way.

Open to correction but that's certainly the gist of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

McMurphy wrote: »
    I can remember it, because you never made that argument at all.

Let me get this straight before I waste my time digging through stuff about Church abuses and the Spanish Civil War.

You're saying that I didn't state that he should have got O'Tuathail in a face to face briefing but that it's same net effect from a legal standpoint.

Just want to make sure now.

The suspense is killing me. Has Leo been charged with anything yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

There was never any chance of him getting charged. As I'm sure you are aware, this is Ireland.

He's still corrupt imo, but you can fanboy him up as much as you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

You will have to live with the suspense a while longer. It is unlikely he will be charged, but who knows what the ongoing criminal investigation will uncover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

According to a load of posters earlier in the thread, he is doing jailtime now.

Oh, they got it wrong, quelle surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

According to a load of posters earlier in the thread, he is doing jailtime now.

Oh, they got it wrong, quelle surprise.
    Link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Suckit wrote: »
    Link.
    The Sindo has a big spread planned on it for April 1st, 2127. :) Seriously though, the reporting on this has been somewhat patchy at best. The next step will be if and when a file is sent to the DPP. The DPP will have to make the decision on prosecution.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There was never any chance of him getting charged. As I'm sure you are aware, this is Ireland.

He's still corrupt imo,
    but you can fanboy him up as much as you want.

Only a kangaroo court would find him corrupt.
    If he had attended a funeral then we'd also have a thread this long about it and your exact post in it also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Did the Village come up with that?

Understood this thread was about Varadkar Story in the Village.

Francie could you enlighten an auld grunt where the Village come in on this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ah leave the poor soul. The dreams of Leo in lock-up have been dashed and they need some humour to keep them going.

Why would the Village have to come into it?
    You don't seem to get satire and comedy Brendi.

• Advertisement

Why would the Village have to come into it?
    You don't seem to get satire and comedy Brendi.

Not your version of ‘ satire and comedy’ anyway Francie.

Genuine stuff...... not a problem.

Big fan of Bernie Manning, me.

Just a hunch I have here Brenner, but I think you're probably pretending not to see the joke "Dr Harold" made. Let me run through it with you.

The tweet is, In a satirical way stating that "Leo Varadkar welcomes Carphone Warehouse’s commitment to fulfill outstanding ‘burner phone’ orders before closing"

My guess is (most people won't need to guess though) it's a pisstake in reference to varadkar/zero craic correspondence with each other.

There's this you see.
    Both Mr Varadkar and Dr Ó Tuathail were asked by gardaí to surrender their mobile phones, which they did, and contact phone data between them in the period before and after the document changed hands has been reviewed by the Garda investigation team.

A "burner phone" is:
    A “burner phone” is a cheap, prepaid mobile phone that you can destroy or discard when you no longer need it. In popular media, criminals often use burner phones to evade detection by authorities. You might use a burner phone for privacy reasons, as a last resort, or during an emergency.

There in lies the joke. If zero craic and Varadkar had burner phones, popular with criminals they'd not be in the shït bren, nor worry about the Gardai checking data between them before, and if they've been in contact with each other since the story broke.......

You're welcome.

Jaysis.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Just a hunch I have here Brenner, but I think you're probably pretending not to see the joke "Dr Harold" made. Let me run through it with you.

The tweet is, In a satirical way stating that "Leo Varadkar welcomes Carphone Warehouse’s commitment to fulfill outstanding ‘burner phone’ orders before closing"

My guess is (most people won't need to guess though) it's a pisstake in reference to varadkar/zero craic correspondence with each other.

There's this you see.

A "burner phone" is:

There in lies the joke. If zero craic and Varadkar had burner phones, popular with criminals they'd not be in the shït bren, nor worry about the Gardai checking data between them before, and if they've been in contact with each other since the story broke.......

You're welcome.

Jaysis.

Ever think of sending your CV into Betway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭political analyst

Given that official secrets concern government documents, isn't the government the alleged 'victim' in any case in which the Official Secrets Act has been allegedly breached? If it is, then shouldn't it be left to the government to decide whether to press charges?

Given that official secrets concern government documents, isn't the government the alleged 'victim' in any case in which the Official Secrets Act has been allegedly breached? If it is, then shouldn't it be left to the government to decide whether to press charges?

I would say 'the people' are the nominal victims. Hence the DPP will prosecute on our behalf.

I would say 'the people' are the nominal victims. Hence the DPP will prosecute on our behalf.

But government documents are government property. So it's not like a burglary at a private individual's home.

But government documents are government property. So it's not like a burglary at a private individual's home.

They are 'our' property and the government is 'our' government. There is supposed to be separation of powers. The Director Of Public Prosecution works on 'our' behalf not the government of the day.

They are 'our' property and the government is 'our' government. There is supposed to be separation of powers. The Director Of Public Prosecution works on 'our' behalf not the government of the day.

If they're 'our' property then why can't we just walk in and have access to them? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If the Government investigated themselves, cronyism would never end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

if a government was let decide on whether or not to police itself when it comes to corruption and illegality , when would any government ever be held to account ?
    besides that , there is also the small matter of the contract that was leaked also involving the IMO , maybe they should get to decide if charges are pressed too ?

no . better for the dpp to act on the Irish peoples behalf as an independent and neutral body.

it sounds a bit like calling for the police to be allowed to police itself which would be a recipe for disaster !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement