Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

According to the first paragraph, Bernard Durkan is also going to give a sworn statement.

"Former Fine Gael TD Kate O’Connell has been interviewed by gardaí as a witness in the Leo Varadkar leaked document investigation, while party colleague and TD Bernard Durkan is due to meet officers this week to provide a sworn statement."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/former-td-kate-oconnell-interviewed-over-leaked-documents-investigation-40378429.html

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

Whole lotta effort to go to when they’ve already decided the document wasn’t confidential...

I’m looking forward to the “Gardai Overtime Scandal” thread

Whole lotta effort to go to when they’ve already decided the document wasn’t confidential...
    The Sindo or the Gardai?

The Examiner also had an article on how Varadkar's allies in FG are getting out of politics.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40278788.html

Regards...jmcc

Just ordinary witness statements, doubtless backing up the government's version of events
    If this was not being conducted as thoroughly as it is, given it involves the top branch of government, there'd be reason to question its veracity :)

A lot of straw clutching going on here these days.

• Advertisement

Just ordinary witness statements, doubtless backing up the government's version of events
    If this was not being conducted as thoroughly as it is, given it involves the top branch of government, there'd be reason to question its veracity :)

Shock, horror. Leo’s phone wasn’t seized after all. He simply handed it over!

That's like a Fr Ted money was just resting in his account deflection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I do love to see this thread active on a Sunday morning bright and early.

Badly fukt wrote: »
    That's like a Fr Ted money was just resting in his account deflection!
    Don't think that the phone was given back to Varadkar either when he asked.

Regards...jmcc

Like moths to a flame, the usual suspects appear! Page 625 and counting.

It’s a pity the Gardai don’t read this thread. They could have saved themselves a lot of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So Leo complained about his phone been taken by Gardai is completely ridiculous, as he simply handed it over to them voluntarily to begin with?

Comical Ali wouldn't get a look in with some of you Leoites.

Lol.

Like moths to a flame, the usual suspects appear! Page 625 and counting.
    I am just working on a database (Internet rather than voter) and have some breaktime. Wonder if other Oireachtas committee members will be interviewed?

Regards...jmcc

The best thing about this story was lots of angry men online spent months, huge emotional effort, and no amount of intellectual heavy-lifting trying to make this a big deal. Just because Paddy Cosgrave had a score to settle, and used his brainlet followers.

What a waste of time!

jmcc wrote: »
    Don't think that the phone was given back to Varadkar either when he asked.

Regards...jmcc

Oh did he ask for it back?
    Link?

Nah, the best thing is watching the same posters move the goalposts for 626 pages to declare "victory". First there was nothing in it. Then it wasn't an official investigation. Now Leo handing over his phone willingly to the Gardai rather than it being seized is considered a win!

If this is a waste of time and there's nothing in it, the Gardai are either corrupt or incompetent. "It really is that simple :)"

Oh did he ask for it back?
    Link?
    Mentioned up-thread.

Regards...jmcc

Even by this thread's standards, this is a pearl. On the one hand extolling the virtues of a thorough investigation (Sinn Fein! Kangaroo Court! Bobby Storey! etc) while on the other commenting that the statements are "doubtless backing up the government's version of events"!

I'm not buying the sindo, is p3 free anywhere?

Edit
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/former-td-kate-oconnell-interviewed-over-leaked-documents-investigation-40378429.html

Paid only but you can sign up with an email to get 3 free articles

attachment.php?attachmentid=552034&d=1619940496

Seems like the case is flying along. if somebody in pubic office needs to be removed from where they are, it will be promptly decided.

Possibly not a good look for Kate with the upcoming election seeing as she will be running for FG?

Phibes posted a scan of it above in a link.

Regards...jmcc

"It is understood that the Gardai intend to outline all the facts of the case to the DPP and it will be left up to the state prosecutor to make a decision on whether or not charges should be brought"

As you would expect.

As I said previously, establishing whether the document is confidential under the relevant legislation is not something the Gardai would be involved in. It's a legal question. Now maybe it's well known within the Gardai that the DPP will adopt that position but that seems unusual to me.

Also, if the evidence gathered so clearly demonstrates that the document wasn't confidential then as far as I can make out, the remainder of the investigation is rendered obsolete, so why are they putting so much effort into it?

• Advertisement

Also, if the evidence gathered so clearly demonstrates that the document wasn't confidential then as far as I can make out, the remainder of the investigation is rendered obsolete, so why are they putting so much effort into it?
    "Fairness", "to be seen to be doing it" are the answers you will no doubt be hearing.

jmcc wrote: »
    Mentioned up-thread.

Regards...jmcc

I just wanted a link to where Vradakar said he requested his phone back as this is what you said happened, can you link to that please :)

Would you like to be the investigative branch that didn't?

A lot of files are sent to the DPP every year and not actioned
    What we do know is we would expect the filed investigation to be thorough given its involving the top branch of government and not wanting its veracity to be questioned
    I would want that too :)
    Even by this thread's standards, this is a pearl. On the one hand extolling the virtues of a thorough investigation (Sinn Fein! Kangaroo Court! Bobby Storey! etc) while on the other commenting that the statements are "doubtless backing up the government's version of events"!

As you quoted me, if you could point to where I made the above comments about the Storey investigation or SF kangaroo courts(the what now?) that would be good thanks, otherwise would you kindly get up the yard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Well at least the headlines are getting smaller for Leo and this nothing story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭golfball37

He’s considering resigning soon according to Dan McDonnell. Of course it’s still a nothing story however !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

golfball37 wrote: »
    He’s considering resigning soon according to Dan McDonnell. Of course it’s still a nothing story however !

This has been on the cards for a while.

He said he wanted out at a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭golfball37

This has been on the cards for a while.

He said he wanted out at a young age.

Yes but if he goes now this is his legacy no matter what he said previously, which I agree he has said more than once. The link between this and quitting will be permanent and inextricable no matter how it’s spun.
    For me his legacy will always be he foisted SF on the rest of us, his way of doing politics was so insincere and lacking conviction he let the wolf in the door. He has damaged FG and what the stand for traditionally, Ira bashing aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yes but if he goes now this is his legacy no matter what he said previously, which I agree he has said more than once. The link between this and quitting will be permanent and inextricable no matter how it’s spun.
    For me his legacy will always be he foisted SF on the rest of us, his way of doing politics was so insincere and lacking conviction he let the wolf in the door. He has damaged FG and what the stand for traditionally, Ira bashing aside.

Is he resigning immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Certainly an interesting interpretation of that McDonnell opinion piece. At no point does he state that Varadkar is considering resigning.

Of course, Varadkar has long stated that he doesn't see himself as being a life long politican, so its a fair opinion for the writer to come up with, however McDonnell never claimed to have some inside scope in that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Well a lot of the traditional FG votes, including my own, left under his leadership. In fairness to him he handled the pandemic well considering how Martin has performed. He stood up to Tony as well, might have been wrong in hindsight but I admired his backbone on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why are the gardai interview O'Connell and Durken?

oh heres the reason NAGP got support from four of the party’s Oireachtas members after lobbying campaign https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/doctors-group-at-centre-of-leak-controversy-had-threatened-fine-gael-with-protests-1.4397854

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement