Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

Lots of wagon circling going on!

Needs something new
    All that's being posted here is repetition of opinions or people trying to get a rise out of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ergo the government have moved on letting the process play out :)
    Seems a bit more complex than that. Initially, it was the government position that this was an FG problem rather than an FFG problem. Then there was the FG claim that there was nothing to see. The Village Magazine published WhatsApp chats that effectively landed Varadkar and his friend O'Tuathail in the crap. Then there was the claim that there was nothing to see and the Gardai were wasting their time. The Gardai took a look and then upgraded the investigation into a full criminal investigation. Varadkar and O'Tuathail were questioned under caution. Now Kate O'Connell has been interviewed as a witness and Bernard Durkan is to give a sworn statement this week. There were other members of the Oireachtas health committee but there's no news on whether they were asked for witness statements.The Gardai still have not submitted a file to the DPP on this case. No amount of handwaving and blaming Paddy Cosgrave will deflect from the reality that this is making FG and by extention the FFG government look bad.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Huge difference of course between taking a shortcut to inform a gp representative of what's in a contract the government would like signed by as many as possible to improve the health service and corruption of course
    This is classed by our government as something they won't allow create a precedent that can be used by any Tom Dick or Paddy Cosgrave to disrupt the running of the country

The 'government' are out of the equation. What happens next has nothing to do with them or Tom Dick r anyone else other than the Gardai and the DPP.

The 'government' are out of the equation. What happens next has nothing to do with them or Tom Dick r anyone else other than the Gardai and the DPP.

The government are 100% in the equation when deciding what does or does not disrupt the business of government
    Much to the disappointment of any Tom dick or paddy cosgrave who may try via instigating processes like what's playing out
    Ergo, they've moved on :)

The government are 100% in the equation when deciding what does or does not disrupt the business of government
    Much to the disappointment of any Tom dick or paddy cosgrave who may try via instigating processes like what's playing out

If they locked up Michael MArtin this morning the government will keep functioning.

Any chance you could stop with the waffle about this? The government circled the wagons and it has moved beyond them.
    The government is working away but this STILL hangs over it.

They will be brought back in if this is adjudged to be a crime or worthy of prosecution.

• Advertisement

If they locked up Michael MArtin this morning the government will keep functioning.

Any chance you could stop with the waffle about this? The government circled the wagons and it has moved beyond them.
    The government is working away but this STILL hangs over it.

They will be brought back in if this is adjudged to be a crime or worthy of prosecution.

I will continue with the facts thanks,for as long as you continue to opinion your wishes :)

I will continue with the facts thanks,for as long as you continue to opinion your wishes :)

The government continues to function...we know this fact. They always do until they are no longer able and collapse. They are just ignoring Leo's predicament because it is out of their hands, they, like us are bystanders as a process of criminal investigation and DDP consideration completes.

That of course is your opinion
    It is mine that some here wish to have an innocent man tried and convicted of a crime that doesnt to our knowledge exist
    The governments position is,they've moved on,content that there's no crime and closing the door to any Tom dick or paddy cosgrave disrupting the running of the country for a crime they believe not to exist
    Proper order in my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

Needs something new
    All that's being posted here is repetition of opinions or people trying to get a rise out of each other

I don't know
    What I do know is the government are so confident in that not happening that they've moved on
    Someone stepping aside would be an indication that they weren't
    Instead rather than set a precedent/opportunity for any Tom dick or Paddy Cosgrave to disrupt government they moved on whilst letting the process play out
    Their action is really that simple
    It should also be pointed out though that one of those two could have been a super spreader disease event leading to deaths and the other is believed by the government not to be a crime at all,only a process that any Tom dick or paddy cosgrave could stir up
    Wonder which is which?
    Yeah,if I had a Fanny,I'd be a woman
    That type of charade?
    The justice system is not a charade
    The government are so confident in their position on this that noone is stepping aside
    No president created for any tom dick or paddy cosgrave to in their opinion spuriously interupt government in any way
    They've moved on and let the process play out
    It really is that simple
    It seems simple enough actually

They dont want to set a precedent whereby any Tom Dick or Paddy Cosgrave can engineer a process like the one thats ongoing and unseat a Minister in cases where they don't believe the accusation that a crime happened,and certainly have no regard for the bonifidé's of the accusers
    If they did,their government would be gone
    They must be very confident of the outcome
    I didn't say the government had anything to do with the process
    They are just continuing confident in the opinion that no crime exists and letting the process instigated by a competitor of theirs or any Tom dick or paddy cosgrave play out like a huge percentage of investigations that dont conclude a crime always do
    The justice system is not a game
    It really is that simple
    The government don't believe a crime was committed and have moved on letting the process (they appear very confident) instigatable by any Tom dick or paddy cosgrave play out
    No crime has been admitted to
    Not really
    Outside of Sinn Féin and those typically virulently anti Vradakar,this is spun as a process any Tom Dick or Paddy Cosgrave could get rolling against anyone including a Taoiseach
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if when its concluded,several will speak to put what they see as misinformation about it to bed
    Also as I said in the government thread,I think relying on it as a political football in the next election would be a mistake as its got too many angles for the then Taoiseach Vradakar to mince it,chief among them,its disgruntled originators and of course the opportunity to highlight the advantages of getting as many to sign up to the gp contract as did
    Jaysis...

Could we get back on topic now
    I'll start
    The reason no one has stepped aside over this document thing,is the government believe no crime happened and don't want to be seen to be entertaining what they see as spurious processes instigated by any Tom Dick or Paddy Cosgrave designed to disrupt government
    They've moved on and let the process play out
    No tender hooks from the government,right from the start, when faced with what they believe to be mischief making posibilties available to any Tom ,Dick or Paddy Cosgrave
    They're steadfast
    But sure,they've nothing to protect,believing there to be no crime
    Its more a case of preventing any Tom Dick or Paddy Cosgrave with a vandetta instigating investigations of what they believe not to be true
    It seems the Times source has confirmed them right on that
    No Crime,no charge
    It really is that simple
    Here I've stuck to the known facts, that the government are confident that there's no crime and that they've moved on, letting the process that can be instigated by any Tom dick or Paddy cosgrave play out
    The government who are in possession of the facts, have decided that this is not the stuff for precedent setting, opening the door for any Tom dick or Paddy Cosgrave to disrupt the business of running the country
    This is classed by our government as something they won't allow create a precedent that can be used by any Tom Dick or Paddy Cosgrave to disrupt the running of the country
    The government don't want to set a precedent where any Tom Dick or Paddy Cosgrave can disrupt the important business of the running of the country by setting in train processes like the one that's ongoing that they believe to have no basis
    It's not, because they have all the facts of the matter and are confident in their decision that processes like this that can be instigated by any Tom dick or paddy Cosgrave should not be allowed create a government disrupting precedent

The FineGaelBot3000 needs some fine tuning.

Edit: missed another one while I was putting it together!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That of course is your opinion
    It is mine that some here wish to have an innocent man tried and convicted of a crime that doesnt to our knowledge exist
    The governments position is,they've moved on,content that there's no crime and closing the door to any Tom dick or paddy cosgrave disrupting the running of the country for a crime they believe not to exist
    Proper order in my opinion :)

This is the completely farcical thing here. We still have no evidence to confirm a crime has been committed.

When someone is raped or assaulted or murdered, you can clearly see that a crime has been committed. In this case, we don't have that evidence, it is speculation that a crime is being committed.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    This is the completely farcical thing here. We still have no evidence to confirm a crime has been committed.

When someone is raped or assaulted or murdered, you can clearly see that a crime has been committed. In this case, we don't have that evidence, it is speculation that a crime is being committed.

Wow, just wow.

So are you saying it is wrong to investigate because it isn't clear a crime has been committed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

If that's the case why do the majority of rape cases go unpunished?? Jesus Christ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Nobody has leaked any documents.
    i hate the way the word 'leak' is being used about what's going on.

it's a leak if you give it to a journalist in the expectation that it will make it into the public domain.
    what varadkar is accused of is better described as insider trading. this was *not* intended for public disclosure.

Wow, just wow.

So are you saying it is wrong to investigate because it isn't clear a crime has been committed?

He did'nt say that and you know that
    It is the governments position that such investigations are independent
    They are so confident that the result will be no crime existed,that they've moved on
    I'm not surprised,because governments have full control of the official secrets status of documents
    Vradakar hate doesn't change that fact

Wow, just wow.

Disingenuous twist of my post.

Gardai are right to investigate whether a crime has been committed. The point is, we have no evidence to suggest that there has been a crime committed. Moving from that place to people stepping aside is ludicrous one-eyed politicking.

Disingenuous twist of my post.

Gardai are right to investigate whether a crime has been committed. The point is, we have no evidence to suggest that there has been a crime committed. Moving from that place to people stepping aside is ludicrous one-eyed politicking.

We have the evidence of Leo's confession to what he did, after being exposed in the media. Something he was keeping hidden from the record, so much so, others in his government were not aware of what he did.

The DPP...not you, not me, not a Garda source will decide if that was a criminal act.
    You have been handwaving this all away since the get go and as it went through the various stages, vowing that it would NOT proceed to the next one. Hardly an expert view or even an informed one.

We have the evidence of Leo's confession to what he did, after being exposed in the media. Something he was keeping hidden from the record, so much so, others in his government were not aware of what he did.

The DPP...not you, not me, not a Garda source will decide if that was a criminal act.
    You have been handwaving this all away since the get go and as it went through the various stages, vowing that it would NOT proceed to the next one. Hardly an expert view or even an informed one.

You mean, we have Leo's explanation for what he did, and why it wasn't a crime?

In terms of evidence, there is the following:
    1. There is the confession by Varadkar that he leaked the confidential document to his friend.

2. The WhatsApp conversations.

3. The mobile phones and their activity logs.

4. The e-mail conversation between Varadkar and his assistant where he proves that he knows the document is not in the public domain and has not been distributed to the IMO members.

Deciding what laws, if any, have been broken is up to the DPP but there have been mentions of the Official Secrets Act and the Corruption legislation.

Regards...jmcc

You mean, we have Leo's explanation for what he did, and why it wasn't a crime?

You call it what you want.

The DPP will view it in the context of the two pieces of legislation they are investigating it under.

*and no, I do not want to hear your learned opinion of the legislation. As I said you have undermined that by handwaving this a way through every stage it has progressed through. We will leave that to the 'experts'.

Suppose those with a legal background will now have the pleasure of learning what it was like to have so many database "experts" displaying their knowledge. :) Hope they've stocked up on the popcorn.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

*and no, I do not want to hear your learned opinion of the legislation. As I said you have undermined that by handwaving this a way through every stage it has progressed through. We will leave that to the 'experts'.

How is the viewpoint of innocent of a crime untill proven guilty handwaving?
    Sure any tom dick or paddy cosgrave can instigate a crime investigation
    In this case,the government are the ultimate authority on the status of the document
    Ergo they've moved on, an indication of the facts in front of them
    No amount of vradakar hate changes this :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The FineGaelBot3000 needs some fine tuning.

Edit: missed another one while I was putting it together!

Threadbanned

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I have updated the OP of this thread with a list of threadbanned users, I would advise posters to check on this before posting in the thread again or a forum sanction will be imposed for breaching same.

If you want to discuss your threadban feel free to PM the banning mod (or myself if you can't remember who that is and I'll point you in the right direction).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

In this case,the government are the ultimate authority on the status of the document

The whole point of a Garda investigation is to ascertain either:
    1) was a crime committed
    or
    2) given that a crime was committed, who committed said crime

Given we know Varadkar is the man in question here, the investigation is of the the 1st type. At this stage whether its a crime or not a crime nobody here can categorically say - thats up to the courts. So obsessing over whether it definitely is or isnt is just semantics. Mad that after how many months we still have people arguing over this point - I feel like I'm in a time warp.

Also about the highlighted - no, only the Gardai can instigate a criminal investigation. Members of the public can go to the Gardai if they believe a crime has taken place, but the investigation is up to the Gardai whether to start a case or not.

And as for that phrase - :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

jmcc wrote: »

Deciding what laws, if any, have been broken is up to the DPP but there have been mentions of the Official Secrets Act and the Corruption legislation.

Regards...jmcc

Conor Lenihan stated in an interview that on his first day as minister he was explicitly warned about his duties under and signed the Official Secrets Act.
    A senior official from my Department made an appointment with me and produced a rather formal letter which, with an impressive solemnity, he insisted I sign there and then. On the day of my appointment the then Taoiseach Bertie Ahern also assiduously underlined my obligations under the Official Secrets Act.

Paul Murphy stated that Varadkars actions could be in breach of the Corruption Act.

Also from Lenihans first interview
    Ministers from two separate parties, in the last week, have pointedly brought my attention to Section 7 of the Criminal Justice (Corruption Offences) Act of 2018 which casts a wide definition of corruption to include “obtaining a gift, consideration or advantage” [emphasis added].

Even if Leo Varadkar did not see his leak to a medical-doctor friend as being wrong, once an advantage is passed to one or both, above and beyond competitors, then the Corruption Act is triggered.

I am not a fan of Lenihans by any means, but I believe him on this.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

timmyntc wrote: »

And as for that phrase - :pac:

Marcos wrote: »
    Conor Lenihan stated in an interview that on his first day as minister he was explicitly warned about his duties under and signed the Official Secrets Act.

Paul Murphy stated that Varadkars actions could be in breach of the Corruption Act.

Also from Lenihans first interview

I am not a fan of Lenihans by any means, but I believe him on this.

I think that Paul Murphy is a lawyer so it is an interesting opinion. Conor Lenihan has a reputation for straight talking.

Regards...jmcc

I suppose,since we are quoting a newspaper article and the village,I think it usefull to point out Vradakar has never said that he is immune from the official secrets act only that the document isn't coverrd by it
    The government would know if this is the case
    I've not heard yet of investigations into any other cabinet confidentiality question
    Secondly we have the Sunday Times and Independent from a few weeks back telling us Garda sources haven't found any benefit from the document to vradakar

This is not surprising given the governments approach and that was to have the Dáil debate and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

That was not an endorsement.
    I suppose,since we are quoting a newspaper article and the village,I think it usefull to point out Vradakar has never said that he is immune from the official secrets act only that the document isn't coverrd by it
    The government would know if this is the case
    I've not heard yet of investigations into any other cabinet confidentiality question
    Secondly we have the Sunday Times and Independent from a few weeks back telling us Garda sources haven't found any benefit from the document to vradakar

This is not surprising given the governments approach and that was to have the Dáil debate and move on

Varadkar stating that his own actions were lawful is hardly a surprise?
    In investigations into misconduct of a member of the government, said government member is not to be used as any kind of authority into whether their actions were lawful.

• Advertisement

Your insistence that 'the government has moved on', as something significant is the 'handwaving'.

The government are bystanders, just like you and me. It has no more influence on the course of events (we hope).

We await the outcome of what looks to be either a very thorough look at the evidence of a very complex one.

Either way, the 'government' have a senior minister who is the subject of a criminal investigation that they cannot 'move on' from. The government continues to function as it does, it even continued to function through a country closing pandemic.
    Your handwaving means nothing in effect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement