Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Online legal eagles? You do know that Michael Smith the owner of Village has a law degree and also qualified as a barrister. That qualifies him to make the legal arguments in Village magazine along with having various barristers comment on it too.

But hey I guess your non legal background/education knows better?

For a legal eagle of such esteem, it's curious as to why he went with the front cover title of "Leo, Lawbreaker", given the lack of conviction or even a charge at the time (or 6 months later for that matter). Surely he would be aware of our defamation laws and also have respect for them given his expertise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    He did avoid the word, that's the problem for you. He never said he leaked any document, he never said he leaked this document.

At best you can construe his answer to that question as being that he may have leaked documents before, but they were not in anyway confidential or classified. It certainly does not have the meaning you ascribe to it as an admittance of leaking.

It is quite preposterous the way you are trying to spin this into meaning something other than it is.

He knew what was being reffered to, is the point.
    That his formal apology did not contain the word is moot.
    His boss believed he had leaked it and frankly so do most others bar his most ardent handwavers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He knew what was being reffered to, is the point.
    That his formal apology did not contain the word is moot.
    His boss believed he had leaked it and frankly so do most others bar his most ardent handwavers here.

No it is not.

That is his formal statement. That is all you have, the rest is spin, imagination, fantasy, hatred and fervour. He really brings it all out.

No it is not.

That is his formal statement. That is all you have, the rest is spin, imagination, fantasy, hatred and fervour. He really brings it all out.

Hmmmm I think a quick look at what was being said and what was being talked about all the way through this make those in denial the fantasists tbh.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Leo+Varadkar+leaks+document&oq=Leo+Varadkar+leaks+document&aqs=edge..69i57.10574j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The smile on Varadkar in that picture is great.

He's looking very well on the VM 530 news there too just now,sporting his new hair cut,God bless him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Poor auld Paddy and his online rabble of pirate flags have lost so much time and emotional energy on this story.

What a waste of time. Anger really is an emotion that consumes people. They say meditation is a good tool for handling it. You’d never get women getting this angry and indeed deluded about a story.

maria-bailey-1024x958.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Billcarson

He's looking very well on the VM 530 news there too just now,sporting his new hair cut,God bless him.

Ah fcuk'm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Suckit wrote: »
    maria-bailey-1024x958.jpg

Eh that's a perfect example of men getting angry. You still have a load of angry men giving out stink about a woman who was hounded out of politics by a mob of angry men 2 years ago. It's a very good example of the point Dr. Phil was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Eh that's a perfect example of men getting angry. You still have a load of angry men giving out stink about a woman who was hounded out of politics by a mob of angry men 2 years ago. It's a very good example of the point Dr. Phil was making.

Maria was "hounded out of politics" due to the demands of the Dún Laoghaire branch of Fine Gael passed a motion asking the party HQ to review it's election ticket, to which Maria herself claims that motion resulted in her being "deleted".

I'm unsure how many members of the Dún Laoghaire Fine Gael branch consists of "a mob of angry men", but undoubtedly there's more than likely some women members in that branch that were unhappy about her insurance claim too Patrick.

Maria Bailey deselected as Fine Gael candidate for Dún Laoghaire
    Dún Laoghaire Fine Gael members voted at a meeting on Halloween night for a motion asking the party hierarchy to urgently review the constituency’s general election ticket, putting pressure on Mr Varadkar to strip Ms Bailey of the candidacy.

Surely a proud FG man like yourself would have been aware of this, it was in all the newspapers at the time, as was Maria Bailey's "Comic Sans" cover letter.

https://twitter.com/MariaBaileyR/status/1195086903705579529?s=19

2/10 from me Paddy

If you don't have support in your constituency party,your position becomes untenable
    Thats probably true in all parties
    Not sure how thats relevant to the anger here at the non existance of a crime

• Advertisement

If you don't have support in your constituency party,your position becomes untenable
    Thats probably true in all parties
    Not sure how thats relevant to the anger here at the non existance of a crime

Well that's blatantly obvious. Therein lies the backbone of pintmans spoof. The local branch forced Maria to ultimately be deleted - they are the ones who essentially "hounded her from politics".

She's still a proud FG member though.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Well that's blatantly obvious. Therein lies the backbone of pintmans spoof. The local branch forced Maria to ultimately be deleted - they are the ones who essentially "hounded her from politics".

She's still a proud FG member though.

Untenability was acted upon
    Parties take action,your does,FG does,they all do
    Not relevant to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Eh...
    I am pretty sure she came across as very angry during the interview with SOR as well as arrogant, bullish and many more things, but as Dr. Phibes had also said "deluded about a story", there aren't many others that will compete against her, in fitting that description quite perfectly.
    If deluded hadn't been mentioned, I may have included a photo of herself with KOC, which may have highlighted the ongoing alleged sexism within FG. I think it was referred to as a 'cold house for women'..
    As for the 'load of angry men giving out stink' :D - I am pretty sure that was women too, ad actually, the general public, and it was/is justified.
    I would however love to see how you came to the conclusion that she was hounded out of politics by a mob of angry men. That in itself could lighten the mood in here, as the Dr keeps repeating (a lot) that it is very angry etc.. Almost troll like, with the other lad that had to repeat his funny Tom, Dick etc.
    I understand that most of the time there is nothing to say, and that it is a struggle to try and get something out or make people listen. But maybe best leave it until it's either something constructive or different.

Untenability was acted upon
    Parties take action,your does,FG does,they all do
    Not relevant to this thread

I don't have a party marine, political partys ≠ sport teams, I don't support any particular party no matter their performance.

However, regardless of it being irrelevant to this thread, it's still factually incorrect to suggest it was anyone other than FGs own members including Maria Bailey herself, who "hounded Maria Bailey from politics". No harm whatsoever in correcting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭ooter

Just heard on the radio that a file was sent to the dpp about the Dublin football team training during covid restrictions and they've decided no further action will be taken, done and dusted in 6 weeks. Why is it taking so long for them to come to a conclusion with LV?

Hmmmm I think a quick look at what was being said and what was being talked about all the way through this make those in denial the fantasists tbh.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Leo+Varadkar+leaks+document&oq=Leo+Varadkar+leaks+document&aqs=edge..69i57.10574j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I haven't said that you and other commentators believe a document was leaked. You are entitled to that opinion, flawed or not.

However, you have made a specific claim that Leo Varadkar has "confessed" to a crime of leaking a document. When pressed to present evidence, you are resorting to a google search of the commentariat.

Hardly compelling, and would be laughed out of court.

ooter wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio that a file was sent to the dpp about the Dublin football team training during covid restrictions and they've decided no further action will be taken, done and dusted in 6 weeks. Why is it taking so long for them to come to a conclusion with LV?

The less likely a crime is to be committed, the less time, effort and priority that the Gardai put to an investigation.

On serious crimes, where a suspect is quickly identified and evidence is readily available, a file would be sent to the DPP very quickly.

I haven't said that you and other commentators believe a document was leaked. You are entitled to that opinion, flawed or not.

However, you have made a specific claim that Leo Varadkar has "confessed" to a crime of leaking a document. When pressed to present evidence, you are resorting to a google search of the commentariat.

Hardly compelling, and would be laughed out of court.

No blanch, I have said Varadkar has confessed to wrongdoing. And when asked he said he had leaked the file. His boss, the Taoiseach also believed he had leaked the file as do most people writing and commenting on this story. All backed up with quotes and links in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ooter wrote: »
    Depends on how much work is to be done. Some investigations are pretty cut-and-dried, the witnesses who need to be interviewed are obvious, the amount of investigation into digital or paper records is small.

In the GAA one, they'd only have to interview the photographer, the team and the staff and with that they'd have enough evidence to send to the DPP.

With the LV one, they only have three "witnesses" to interview, so they would likely have to dig somewhat into digital communications to build up more information/evidence about what occurred and what can be proven. This is a more laborious process than taking five-minute statements from 20 football players.

No blanch, I have said Varadkar has confessed to wrongdoing. And when asked he said he had leaked the file. His boss, the Taoiseach also believed he had leaked the file as do most people writing and commenting on this story. All backed up with quotes and links in the thread.

Again, the wrongdoing he confessed to was in the manner of sharing the document - informally rather than through a formal meeting.

You know Francie, I once drove a car at 35kph through an area where the temporary 30 kph for school closing was active. I missed the sign, but I was still in breach of the law. Now that I have confessed to wrongdoing, should I be fired from my job?

The pathetic nature of the attempts to pin something, nay, anything on Varadkar is running more than thin by now.

• Advertisement

Again, the wrongdoing he confessed to was in the manner of sharing the document - informally rather than through a formal meeting.

Which he, his boss and most commentators referred to as 'leaking'. We all new what we were talking about...a senior government minister leaking a confidential document. Gardai are investigating whether it was criminal leaking.
    The document was leaked. He 'shared it in the wrong way' = he leaked it.

That he didn't want to mention the word in his formal apology is moot.

Yeah he should have just called yer man in showed him the document,let him take notes,shred the document
    He apologised for not doing that,fair play

Anything else,capital offence
    Lets have 2 days wasted in the Dáil ,adversaries stir up a complaint about it,100's of pages of waffle,hours of Garda time and off with his head (or not)
    Sounds logical :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Paddy Cosgrave interviewed.
    https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1392119854090575872

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

It's important to find out what behaviour is acceptable and the new norm so other governments and ministers can decide what to share and to who. Seems it's anything goes.
    I don't think that's a good thing.

jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc

I thought the file had gone to the DPP...a ways to go yet on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I thought the file had gone to the DPP...a ways to go yet on this.
    Yep. Wonder if he will provide any updates on Twitter?

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

The precedent has been set now, that any Minister or TD can leak documents in the same way, and apologise and that will be the end of the matter,

That sounds good to me.

Although somehow I doubt that the members of the media who regularly receive leaked documents from unknown political sources will be particularly happy if a precedent of leaking documents only a few days after the relevant press release has been issued will become the new norm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It looks like things are getting more interesting and its squeaky bum time for Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Yep. Wonder if he will provide any updates on Twitter?

Regards...jmcc

He is been hinting with a while now that there was more to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Regards...jmcc

Why is he being questioned? Genuine question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement