Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

Separate process and not covered by the two pieces of legislation they are currently investigating under.

How do you know with such catogorical assurance that they weren't interviewing him about other aspects related to the inquiry or indeed who inerviewed him in what capacity on the subject ?
    You don't :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Is this the end

How do you know with such catogorical assurance that they weren't interviewing him about other aspects related to the inquiry or indeed who inerviewed him in what capacity on the subject ?

Leo is under Investigation and you reckon they are bringing in suspects about wasting gardai time

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A Garda source told me. 🀔😉

A Garda source told me. ����

I was reading back this thread, and the Gardai source at the weekend said this was all over.

2 days into the new week and people are getting brought in for questioning on a case thats closed. Very bizzare

Is that some kind of veiled homophobic slur?

I generally don't mind your style and shtick, but this is utterly pathetic.

• Advertisement

I was reading back this thread, and the Gardai source at the weekend said this was all over.

2 days into the new week and people are getting brought in for questioning on a case thats closed. Very bizzare

I suggest you take out glasses then and read it again :)
    is in its concluding stages and a file is expected to be sent to the Director of Public Prosecution ‘within days’, the Irish Mail on Sunday has learned.
    The Paddy last interviewee would need evidence of a crime that needed further investigating
    Don't get your hopes up,is my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I don't see an apology coming as Paddy is suddenly keeping a low profile.

I suggest you take out glasses then and read it again :)

The Paddy last interviewee would need evidence of a crime that needed further investigating
    Don't get your hopes up,is my advice

How do you know Paddy is the last they are interviewing?

The need to pillory and nickname the whistleblowers and those who broke this story betrays a nasty bitterness. Barbra J Pym level stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I don't see an apology coming as Paddy is suddenly keeping a low profile.
    That is a rather ominous development.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You'll have heard the phrase, 'going through the motions' before?

The Guards are doing this utterly by the book, they've had quite enough of their time wasted, without having to endure a GSOC complaint of improper procedure.

Who knows, maybe Paddy and Chay will be booked for wasting police time!

Larbre34 wrote: »

The Guards are doing this utterly by the book, they've had quite enough of their time wasted, without having to endure a GSOC complaint of improper procedure.

Fairly serious implication there. You mean the Gardai don't go by the book when 'mere' mortals are involved?

Reporting a suspected crime is not wasting police time. If the police thought it was wasting their time, they would have dropped this months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Reporting a suspected crime is not wasting police time. If the police thought it was wasting their time, they would have dropped this months ago
    They certainly wouldn't have upgraded it to a criminal investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

The need to pillory and nickname the whistleblowers and those who broke this story betrays a nasty bitterness. Barbra J Pym level stuff.

Who? WiFi boy? He's not the whistleblower. Just a loudmouth blowhard.

Chay Bowes is the 'whistleblower'. Odd enough character from what I can gather.

Odd enough character from what I can gather.

QED

The Gardai have previous in making allegations against whistleblowers, i doubt they would go there again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Isn't Chay the person who had homophobic stuff plastered all over his Twitter feed?
    Also had a strange love for Putin...

Odd fellow alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

markodaly wrote: »
    Isn't Chay the person who had homophobic stuff plastered all over his Twitter feed?
    Also had a strange love for Putin...

Odd fellow alright.

You should've seen what Harris had on his.
    Also had a strange love for the old Commies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You should've seen what Harris had on his.
    Also had a strange love for the old Commies.

Who is Harris and how is this related to the topic at hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I generally don't mind your style and shtick, but this is utterly pathetic.

It's just what these type of posters do. Throws these types of grenades and then ignore all posts calling them out on it. I think there's another word for that...?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Fairly serious implication there. You mean the Gardai don't go by the book when 'mere' mortals are involved?

Don't be naive, its unbecoming.

Don't be naive, its unbecoming.

You said it, not I.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Paddy where is your apology?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Paddy where is your apology?

That's two nights in a row you've been up at 1am demanding apologies from me. I'm in bed early as I'm up early working every day.

I've nothing to apologise for. I asked you a genuine question and you answered. I'd never heard that phrase before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

While on the subject, headline in today's Times reports that the Gardai have confiscated the phone from a publican in Dublin and are continuing to widen the investigation.
    Hasn't gone away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Full article here.
    Gardai have seized a mobile phone from a Dublin man as part of the force’s inquiry into the leaking of a confidential document by Leo Varadkar.

The text messages were sent by Maitiú Ó Tuathail, the doctor who obtained a copy of a confidential government contract from Varadkar in 2019 when he was taoiseach. The messages make specific reference to a social media post which Varadkar, now the tanaiste, shared on his official Twitter account about a fundraising event. Another text refers to Varadkar’s attendance at a barbecue. Ó Tuathail has previously described the contents of the texts as jokes between friends.

Detectives learnt about the existence of the messages on April 7 after they took a statement from the witness, a publican from south Dublin. He was interviewed at Irishtown garda station in Dublin, where he was asked if he had copies of text exchanges with Ó Tuathail. His handset was subsequently seized under warrant by detectives from the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NBCI) on April 27.

The witness, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was first contacted by gardai after other witnesses said they believed he was in possession of private texts which Ó Tuathail had sent to third parties about Varadkar.

The seizure of the handset from an ancillary witness suggests the NBCI investigation into Varadkar is widening.

Varadkar is the focus of an ongoing criminal investigation into the leaking of a confidential document while he was taoiseach in 2019. The inquiry is examining whether the leak constitutes a breach of the Official Secrets Act or the Criminal Justice (Corruption Offences) Act 2018, which makes it an offence to provide documents bestowing influence to friends.

Gardai still do not know why Varadkar allegedly used his influence to obtain a copy of a confidential contract held by the Department of Health and discreetly leak it to Ó Tuathail. The investigation has established the two men were good friends, formed part of the same social group and shared each other’s social media posts.

The tanaiste was questioned under caution by detectives on April 9 about why he gave a proposed contract between the Department of Health and the Irish Medical Organisation to Ó Tuathail, a former president of the rival National Association of General Practitioners (NAGP).

Ó Tuathail has also been questioned by officers. Both men have denied knowingly breaking any law. Varadkar has publicly apologised for his actions. The tanaiste has said he passed on the document only to encourage the NAGP to sign up to the same deal.

The bureau is continuing to approach and question people who, it believes, have information about the events under investigation.

Details of how Ó Tuathail acquired a copy of the contract were first revealed by Village magazine in November. Ó Tuathail had photographed the front page of the contract and circulated the image to members of the NAGP on a WhatsApp group with the words: “To be fair, Leo always delivers.”

Chay Bowes, a former NAGP member who disclosed the existence of the messages, has been interviewed by bureau detectives. He is due to be interviewed again.

Paddy Cosgrave, the Tech Summit founder who is a friend of Bowes, met detectives on Tuesday morning. It’s understood gardai wanted to establish if he had possession of any information or evidence which might advance the inquiry. Cosgrave declined to comment when contacted.

The publican, who cannot be named for legal reasons, also declined to comment when contacted yesterday. Calls to Varadkar’s spokesman went unanswered last night. A spokesman for Garda Headquarters said it was not policy to discuss ongoing investigations.

Phone seized because of text messages OTuathail describes as "jokes between friends":confused:

Honestly no idea what that might be about.........but according to that, the case is "widening".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

"A spokesman for Garda Headquarters said it was not policy to discuss ongoing investigations."

Wow so the other unnamed garda source who said it was case closed was completely blowing smoke.

I never would have guessed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭LeakyLime

If there was nothing to see here, this thing would not still be moving along.

Are those text messages referred to in today's article, ones previously published?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement