Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

skimpydoo wrote: »
    It looks like things are getting more interesting and its squeaky bum time for Leo.

Unfortunately I doubt it. Let's look at the reality here.

Despite the fact that Leo stood in the Dail and admitted it, despite the screengrabs of the conversation between MOT and others, and despite Simon Harris effectively throwing Leo under the bus as well, we have to remember where we live here.

This in a country where we still have a TD in the Dail who was involved in a high profile scandal in the 90s (another FGer incidentally) and who still is elected and paid by the taxpayer despite the findings of the very expensive and lengthy tribunal. Where AGS have been involved in numerous scandals themselves, and where most of the key people in the justice system are political appointees. Remember the farce with Seamus Woulfe refusing to resign and ignoring the Chief Justice? (his boss).

In a normal country Leo would have already stood aside or resigned in disgrace for bringing the office and FG into disrepute but I really doubt he'll face any consequences on this one - at least not from a prosecution or party expulsion perspective. He might fail to be re-elected next time out (it took him long enough last time), but even at that, or if he doesn't run at all, he can move to a nice cushy EU job or the lobby/lecture circuit.

It's wrong (on a far wider scale than just Leo and this case), but this is the country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

LeakyLime wrote: »
    Are those text messages referred to in today's article, ones previously published?

Doubtful.

Can't get my head around what this could mean, like what's the significance between texts to a publican, from OTuathail and what has Leo's social media pages/a barbecue got to do with it?

Might be a load of nothing tbh.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Doubtful.

Can't get my head around what this could mean, like what's the significance between texts to a publican, from OTuathail and what has Leo's social media pages/a barbecue got to do with it?

Leave it to the professionals, Murf, and enjoy your day. Complete nothingburger. This story shouldn’t be taking up any significant bandwidth with anyone. Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Full article here.

Don't think you're allowed repost entire articles like that when they're behind a paywall?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Don't think you're allowed repost entire articles like that when they're behind a paywall?

There's a month free, we're all on the month free at the moment. If you aren't and you've read it you've broken the rules and should apologise to the Times and avert your eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Doubtful.

Screenshots of text messages published in an online article are not going to be credible pieces of evidence. They need to phone to verify that the screenshots are genuine. Doesn’t mean they’ll get any new information from the phone. However if the messages are to be used in court they’d have to come from a credible source, which is the phone itself.

Doubtful.

My reading of it is that O’Toole forwarded private messages either from Leo or from a group chat to the publican.

Sue me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Doubtful.

I presume they want to find out why the document was leaked. The text messages might reference some unofficial arrangement would be my guess.

"A spokesman for Garda Headquarters said it was not policy to discuss ongoing investigations."

Wow so the other unnamed garda source who said it was case closed was completely blowing smoke.

I never would have guessed it.

Again,the other Garda source said it was nearing completion
    They didn't say it was closed
    A lot of hyperbole in this thread

It looks to me like Cosgrave's interview has prompted the investigation team to look at O'Tuathails texts
    They don't need an old phone to do that as whatsapp messages carry over phone to phone if not deleted and auto back up is on

• Advertisement

Again,the other Garda source said it was nearing completion
    They didn't say it was closed
    A lot of hyperbole in this thread

It looks to me like Cosgrave's interview has prompted the investigation team to look at O'Tuathails texts
    They don't need an old phone to do that as whatsapp messages carry over phone to phone if not deleted and auto back up is on

Only if the Guards or Paddy Cosgrave, have a time machine.
    Detectives learnt about the existence of the messages on April 7 after they took a statement from the witness, a publican from south Dublin. He was interviewed at Irishtown garda station in Dublin, where he was asked if he had copies of text exchanges with Ó Tuathail. His handset was subsequently seized under warrant by detectives from the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NBCI) on April 27.

Paddy was interviewed on May the 11th.

Only if the Guards or Paddy Cosgrave, have a time machine.

Paddy was interviewed on May the 11th.

I was referring to O'Tuathails phone which I thought was the one 'seized'
    Hadnt read the article quoted
    So this was a good while before the Debbie McCann Sunday mail article quoting the Garda source as saying not enough evidence etc ?
    You've posted you think she'd have good sources having been involved in a tribunal,do you still think that?

I was referring to O'Tuathails phone which I thought was the one 'seized'
    Hadnt read the article quoted
    So this was a good while before the Debbie McCann Sunday mail article quoting the Garda source as saying not enough evidence etc ?
    You've posted you think she'd have good sources having been involved in a tribunal,do you still think that?

I believe Debbie McCann has good sources from within the Gardai, still do. She didn't say her info was coming from within Gardai though.

I already went over her article, and stated that it will be a binary outcome for Leo regardless, ie he'll either be charged or he won't. When you go past the glossy headlines, that's actually what she said in the article.
    A source said: ‘There is insufficient evidence to support a charge and gardai will potentially recommend no prosecution, though they may also simply outline the facts and leave it for the DPP to decide.’

Potentially recommend no prosecution, though they might not either = means heads or tails to this poster.

In saying that, wondering why no other paper ran with the "scoop" bar extra.ie, hardly a well known Sunday newspaper now in fairness.

I believe Debbie McCann has good sources from within the Gardai, still do. She didn't say her info was coming from within Gardai though.

I already went over her article, and stated that it will be a binary outcome for Leo regardless, ie he'll either be charged or he won't. When you go past the glossy headlines, that's actually what she said in the article.

Potentially recommend no prosecution, though they might not either = means heads or tails to this poster.

In saying that, wondering why no other paper ran with the "scoop" bar extra.ie, hardly a well known Sunday newspaper now in fairness.

Well she wrote it for the Irish mail on Sunday,so presumably it was in their prited version
    But thats about it
    I'd imagine the other papers are waiting the outcome at this stage

He will either be charged or he won’t. Stunning insight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Is this the end

Well she wrote it for the Irish mail on Sunday,so presumably it was in their prited version
    But thats about it
    I'd imagine the other papers are waiting the outcome at this stage

It wasnt in the Irish Times print version

He will either be charged or he won’t. Stunning insight.

Yeah well done for pointing out something in the article I already pointed out the day it broke doc. Well done.
    Exactly, it's going to be a binary outcome no matter what, and that Garda source is saying he might be prosecuted, but then again he might not. It's up to the DPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

That's two nights in a row you've been up at 1am demanding apologies from me. I'm in bed early as I'm up early working every day.

I've nothing to apologise for. I asked you a genuine question and you answered. I'd never heard that phrase before.

Is that the best you can come up with?

If you have not heard that phrase before, then just apologise saying you have not heard it before.

I will not have accusations of homophobia held against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

extra.ie is owned by the Daily Mail, its their version of Dublin Live which is owned by the Mirror newspaper group.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

That's two nights in a row you've been up at 1am demanding apologies from me. I'm in bed early as I'm up early working every day.

I've nothing to apologise for. I asked you a genuine question and you answered. I'd never heard that phrase before.
    skimpydoo wrote: »
    Is that the best you can come up with?

If you have not heard that phrase before, then just apologise saying you have not heard it before.

I will not have accusations of homophobia held against me.

Mod

Both of you quit the bickering or you will lose your posting privileges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A publican from South Dublin?

Maybe it'll be your lad from the Berlin Bar and footage will emerge of the contract being handed over during a big orgy while dancing on the tables, then someone can call it GUBU and we can all get on with our lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Is this the end

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A publican from South Dublin?

Maybe it'll be your lad from the Berlin Bar and footage will emerge of the contract being handed over during a big orgy while dancing on the tables, then someone can call it GUBU and we can all get on with our lives.

Yeh it's all a big laugh

This “nothing burger” whatever the f*ck that is, is set to continue for quite sometime it seems.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/investigation-of-varadkar-leak-to-continue-into-summer-1.4564580?mode=amp

I’d say that top notch journalist McCann should probably find a new source, or perhaps try and upskill with some creative writing courses.

Still nothing to see here.

Fairly serious implication there. You mean the Gardai don't go by the book when 'mere' mortals are involved?

From the IT piece:

"However, sources said widening the number of interviews arose as gardaí were determined to do a comprehensive inquiry. It did not mean any change in the core allegations or reflect any increased likelihood of charges."

What say you now Francie? I implied it, because unlike you, I am not naive.

However, this remains a nothing burger and the Guards are drawing it out till the silly season so that everyone wi....yawn.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    From the IT piece:

"However, sources said widening the number of interviews arose as gardaí were determined to do a comprehensive inquiry. It did not mean any change in the core allegations or reflect any increased likelihood of charges."

What say you now Francie? I implied it, because unlike you, I am not naive.

However, this remains a nothing burger and the Guards are drawing it out till the silly season so that everyone wi....yawn.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

This is up there with the most idiotic post on any forum I’ve ever read. Anyway...

This is to all the Leo FG fan club and multiple account users, potential members of FG and employees, It may be tough, but time to accept that the Gardaí are still conducting an investigation, there is something to investigate and we’ve yet to see the outcome because in reality, none of us know. But what we do know is that there is definitely not “nothing to see here” which has been shouted from the rafters since its outset.

As an aside, saying the “guards” are “drawing it out till silly season” is hugely disrespectful to the Gardaí and suggests they are corrupt in not doing due diligence. Shameful comment.

Calm down princess, you might strain your farting string.

I don't give anyone my unconditional respect, its a constantly updating situation. I respect the Guards in much of what they do, not so much in other ways.

What I'm saying here really has nothing to do with them, they have been drawn into the circus of hearsay and time wasting and they are letting it die a slow death so as not to have to tolerate some investigation instigated by the same bunch of shytehawks who concocted this waste of everyone's time in the first place!

This is now a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This is up there with the most idiotic post on any forum I’ve ever read. Anyway...

This is to all the Leo FG fan club and multiple account users, potential members of FG and employees, It may be tough, but time to accept that the Gardaí are still conducting an investigation, there is something to investigate and we’ve yet to see the outcome because in reality, none of us know. But what we do know is that there is definitely not “nothing to see here” which has been shouted from the rafters since its outset.

As an aside, saying the “guards” are “drawing it out till silly season” is hugely disrespectful to the Gardaí and suggests they are corrupt in not doing due diligence. Shameful comment.

When it comes to investigating the Tanaiste / Taoiseach at the time, of course the Gardai will be under extreme scrutiny to demonstrate that nothing has been left out.

Which explains the detail in the investigation includes seizing the phone of a publican because:

The text messages were sent by Maitiú Ó Tuathail, the doctor who obtained a copy of a confidential government contract from Varadkar in 2019 when he was taoiseach. The messages make specific reference to a social media post which Varadkar, now the tanaiste, shared on his official Twitter account about a fundraising event. Another text refers to Varadkar’s attendance at a barbecue. Ó Tuathail has previously described the contents of the texts as jokes between friends.

Very serious stuff indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Gardai after grabbing more phones from Leo's mates just to see how close these friends/not friends really were according to the Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It hasn't gone away you know.

The attitude of some of the Leo fan club in this thread is very amusing without of course them meaning it to be. He's developed a bit of a cult following it seems much like Trump did when he could do no wrong in some infatuated peoples eyes.

Much like Trump, Leo is all about his narcistic self and couldn't give a dam about the party he represents. The man needs to step aside until this investigation is complete, the absolute audacity of him to go on the airwaves and declare it will be found he did nothing wrong is mind boggling.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement