Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

smurgen wrote: »
    Exactly. Take this line here in this message "talk to Leo".
    Who is this person and would this now be considered lobbying? Legally doesn't all lobbying attempts on politicians need to be logged?

also there's a veil of arrogance here and a huge Quid pro quo of sorts implied, if they have leo on social speed dial, what have they got on or with him?
    How do all parties benefit..A stumble always come before a fall, this is a stumble, the whole Watsap back and forth..it will take more than terry prone to dig him out and he's done in many peoples eyes now and good enough for him.

The watsap group itself has a real frat boy feel to it too, you can see them saying the same thing and posting back stage passes to kylie. I'm not saying politicians need to be like enlightenment figures through history but come in, that's not becoming of a leader to be fair..it's elitish tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

yabadabado wrote: »
    If its such a non event and nothing wrong with it, why is Leo seeking legal advise,why did he not ask that it be released to everyone and for it to be released using the proper procedures?

Because you’ve Individuals on twitter asking for criminal charges, instead of coming up with suggestions on how to help Ireland through Covid. Let’s catch Leo out on something all politicians do - this is the real question. Who wants to take him down at this crucial moment in our states history & why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

'Sharing' is the new leaking.
    'Not best practice' is the new helping me mates out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Norma Foley was well scripted in the "not best practice" line on rte earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Because you’ve Individuals on twitter asking for criminal charges, instead of coming up with suggestions on how to help Ireland through Covid. Let’s catch Leo out on something all politicians do - this is the real question. Who wants to take him down at this crucial moment in our states history & why.

What other polititicians admitted doing the very same thing?
    Did they receive any punishment or was there a fair and reasonable answer given and that was the end of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I'm really surprised at the levels of outrage on this?

The document he shared wasn't sensitive. He didn't gain, financially or otherwise, from sharing it. It wasn't best practice or the appropriate channel to share, but at the end of the day, most of the information was public at that stage.

People really think he needs to resign over this? Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The document he shared wasn't sensitive. He didn't gain, financially or otherwise, from sharing it. It wasn't best practice or the appropriate channel to share, but at the end of the day, most of the information was public at that stage.

Hi Leo.

^^

It's comedy hour again.

(I wonder if the kids ate all the popcorn in the house last night,?)

Paddy, considering your "nothing to see here" line surrounding Maria Bailey, you're the equivalent of the fine gael grim reaper, Leo's career is probably searching for a shroud as I type this.

Speaking of whom, jeez he's fairly gone quiet over on twitter. Did something happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

rusty cole wrote: »
    also there's a veil of arrogance here and a huge Quid pro quo of sorts implied, if they have leo on social speed dial, what have they got on or with him?
    How do all parties benefit..A stumble always come before a fall, this is a stumble, the whole Watsap back and forth..it will take more than terry prone to dig him out and he's done in many peoples eyes now and good enough for him.

The watsap group itself has a real frat boy feel to it too, you can see them saying the same thing and posting back stage passes to kylie. I'm not saying politicians need to be like enlightenment figures through history but come in, that's not becoming of a leader to be fair..it's elitish tripe.

Well he's put him self out there as the decision maker on massive state tenders . As was evidenced earlier opposition didn't have the details of contracts to have a debate yet Varadkar put himself out there as the final decision maker. An example here in the national broadband plan:

"Speaking during Leaders’ Questions today, Varadkar said he expects to make a decision on whether to proceed with the last remaining bidder before Easter".

Does he really think it's fair for him to be the only one deciding on matters like this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/national-broadband-plan-cost-4515490-Feb2019/%3famp=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You're right, nothing to see move along etc etc.
    Hopefully Leo will have better success than your prediction about Maria Bailey. That aged well, lol
    A FF minister had to resign because he went for a bite to eat, I'd say this matter is slightly more serious tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭joemurt

Sir Oxman wrote: »

''Not best practice'' is the new I'm above the law.

The most vulnerable of society in Ireland will feel Varadkars wrath next week when he looks for a dead cat to move the news cycle on. Spare a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It would set an extraordinary precedent if the 'I was only trying to help' excuse is allowed to fly.

Just think about how that could be used in the future by various Taosigh and Ministers.
    Has he done this before in other negotiations needs to be fully investigated IMO.

Leo's bona fides in any future negotiations will be questioned. He simply cannot be trusted.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I really doubt all politicians do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Phoebas wrote: »
    You already know the answer to this, so don't be playing dumb.
    Leo acknowledges that he shared the information; he denied that this was illegal.

So in your book there is nothing wrong with giving an official Government document marked 'Confidential / not for circulation' to a third party - is that correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Yep, apparently - and for some the dream is that her be replaced by David "Up the Ra" Cullinane.

There's a man the medical profession will take seriously

Leo's bona fides in any future negotiations will be questioned. He simply cannot be trusted.

Has the IMO made any statement yet, or ICTU?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The FG boys are earning serious overtime today :D

Every week in fact!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    So in your book there is nothing wrong with giving an official Government document marked 'Confidential / not for circulation' to a third party - is that correct

It appears to be the view of a lot of Indo journalists also, Geraldine Herbert also asking 'what's the problem? maybe we all have it wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Cute Hoor wrote: »

I would imagine it depends on the political affiliation of whom is supplying the confidential information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

If he was 'working to get them all on board', why would he have ignored the 40% of GPs that weren't in any organisation?
    But we don't know if he was or not
    I'm sure we'll know more on Tuesday
    If it was no longer applicable, he would have a copy of a later version without the confidential markings. People here are really desperate to play down this leak that undermined his own Minister.
    I'm not desperate to play down any leak
    I think we should get to the bottom of them
    Leaks and the infamous Leo the leak twitter tag refers to leaking to newspapers or media
    This is clearly different
    My posts by the way have mainly been questioning the certainty some of you have about Vradakar breaking the law
    There is no certainty on that
    In fact I haven't seen anything to prove that at all
    A document already in the possession of members of the public ie gp's or their families who are not civil servants,employed by the government or the cabinet and widely bullet pointed to members of the IMO is not a state secret or a cabinet document
    I'll add another thing,how many times has anyone found the first empty document folder around their desk to send something on to someone? I know I have several times
    So the folder mightnt be related to the document at all

These are all simple flaws in the gung ho sack him posts I'm reading here
    Imagine what a legal team would say
    By the way,I'm also wondering whats the legal position of posters here repeating currently unsubstantiated allegations from the village here?
    Its probably not sound
    Anyway looking forward to Tuesday now for the crack in the Dáil and may get at least 2 good nights sleep in readiness for it and the super exciting election night in the States

• Advertisement

I would imagine it depends on the political affiliation of whom is supplying the confidential information.

Nail on head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭joemurt

Truthvader wrote: »
    Yep, apparently - and for some the dream is that her be replaced by David "Up the Ra" Cullinane.

I'd imagine they would prefer that over f+ck the refugees type scum tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

joemurt wrote: »
    ''Not best practice'' is the new I'm above the law.

The most vulnerable of society in Ireland will feel Varadkars wrath next week when he looks for a dead cat to move the news cycle on. Spare a thought.

What's funny is the level of glee Fine Gaelers had when the Tory party talked of breaking the law in a limited and specific way.

https://twitter.com/nealerichmond/status/1303309090966458368?s=19

Nobotty wrote: »
    But we don't know if he was or not
    I'm sure we'll know more on Tuesday

I'm not desperate to play down any leak
    I think we should get to the bottom of them
    Leaks and the infamous Leo the leak twitter tag refers to leaking to newspapers or media
    This is clearly different
    My posts by the way have mainly been questioning the certainty some of you have about Vradakar breaking the law
    There is no certainty on that
    In fact I haven't seen anything to prove that at all
    A document already in the possession of members of the public ie gp's or their families who are not civil servants,employed by the government or the cabinet and widely bullet pointed to members of the IMO is not a state secret or a cabinet document
    I'll add another thing,how many times has anyone found the first empty document folder around their desk to send something on to someone? I know I have several times
    So the folder mightnt be related to the document at all

These are all simple flaws in the gung ho sack him posts I'm reading here
    Imagine what a legal team would say
    By the way,I'm also wondering whats the legal position of posters here repeating currently unsubstantiated allegations from the village here?
    Its probably not sound
    Anyway looking forward to Tuesday now for the crack in the Dáil and may get at least 2 good nights sleep in readiness for it and the super exciting election night in the States

But it wasn't in the hands of GPs, Public or the opposition if we're to go by Donnelly's address to the Dail.

Truthvader wrote: »

Leo hasn't made a balls of being health minister for more than 4 years now, so how in under jaysis you reach the conclusion Cullinane will "be replacing him" is between you and the inside of your head tbh :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It was decided at the start of the talks that they had no seat at the table. It gave them the power to go public against the deal before the deal was finalised.

It could have been catastrophic to the deal itself.

This is a key point. He undermined his own Minister and the Department officials in their discussions with IMO and NAGP.
    Not just in negotiations - it will be difficult for his peers in Cabinet, or his Ministers if he gets back in as Taoiseach to trust that he's not working against them behind their backs.

If there was no big deal, why do you think he shared a paper copy to a home address instead of just emailing it from his Department?

Phoebas wrote: »
    I agree that it should have been done using proper procedures. As does Leo.
    If there was no big deal, why do you think he shared a paper copy to a home address instead of just emailing it from his Department?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

smurgen wrote: »
    What's funny is the level of glee Fine Gaelers had when the Tory party talked of breaking the law in a limited and specific way.

https://twitter.com/nealerichmond/status/1303309090966458368?s=19
    Jaysus the double speak is there for all to see.

He’s DOA. As a doctor he knows what that means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Varadkar is well known for his leaning towards disparaging his colleagues departments while doing fck all in his own.
    It's worked well for the media construct till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Jaysus his own coming out against him and referencing his double speak.

He’s DOA. As a doctor he knows what that means.

???

• Advertisement

???

Dead on arrival.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement