Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You tell me, I am sure they will come back with the usual bingo-inducing soundbites to explain.

These are the same people who thought that FG or Leo hired some girl to throw a coffee over him.. Yes that is true, I am not making that up, by the way, that is the twisted nature of some people out there when it comes to Leo living rent-free in some people's brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Surprised to log on to see pages and pages about a letter to Kylie Minogue. Must be a slow news week.

Don't think there was much criticism when the President wrote to his own musical heroes. Only difference appears to be the people involved.

https://extra.ie/2021/05/24/news/irish-news/michael-d-higgins-bob-dylan

Excellent point.

If one did a FOI request of every single thing any Taoiseach or President wrote over the past 20 odd years, you will probably find dozens of examples of notes and letters like this.

Again, the only reason this came about was to embarrass a person, to use it as internet fodder to dumb down the message and reduce the debate to the lowest intellectual form. That is the new politics from those where Leo lives rent-free in their minds. Political discourse by memes and 80 characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Did boards exist back when Charlie was running amok? Are we suggesting that it wouldn't have been discussed if so?

Was anyone claiming the president of Ireland was entitled to write letters to Dylan as his musical tastes are of "no one's business" because - "private life" etc etc?

Otherwise that's 10/10 on the deflection attempt bubba, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Leo is in news against this week from his boyfriend defence letter, Coveney defending and GP friend's blackmail etc.,, he was Taoiseach and is now Tanaiste so he is open to public scrutiny imho and I think he likes the media hoopla around him too, he is nick named Leo the Leak

• Advertisement

My point, Murph, is that nobody gave it a second thought when the President wrote to his musical heroes and expressed a wish to meet them. The way it should be.

I do wonder about the people that get worked up over such things. Must be a hard life.

He's also still the subject of an active criminal investigation by the NCBI lest we forget. 🤐

How do you know "nobody gave it a second thought" can I ask? Have you spoken to every Irish citizen and asked?

As for Leo, I personally couldn't care less either, no more than I care about miggeldy writing to Dylan. However in my case I'm merely correcting those who think Leo wrote to Minogue in a personal capacity, and should be devoid of criticism.

I pointed out that was BS, he clearly wrote to her as the Taoiseach of Ireland, and therefore it's justified that people can comment on it, and it's also justifiable for people to form the opinion he may have abused his position to pull a stroke for him and his mates.

I didn't know Mikey D did that, again wrong too using his position, why not write just as a ordinary fan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That picture of MDH in an open denim shirt at Slane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

whatever the boy wrote to KM it was a harmless letter.

People are human and can have their preferences and likings.

The rubbish folk are writing about this issue would lead one to believe that they have a lifestyle of Carthusian monks.

And don’t start about being Taoiseach and all that , the boy is human, has preferences, has likes and dislikes.

Lot of anger out there, but on this issue, not justified.

Just grunts trying to big non issues up.

Wouldn't certain folks have been better adopting your kind of response to begin with and just try and normalise it bren, instead of trying to piss down necks and claim it was raining with the "personal life" comments?

Would have saved a lot confusion and incorrect inference.

Harmless (like this letter) or possible criminality (like the confidential documents he leaked) though, if he does these things with his Taoiseach/Tánaiste hat on, he's subject to criticism and discussion.

I would say it's futile trying to close it down. Not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

The Kylie thingwas mentioned and some people decided to try use Varadkar's sexuality to claim homophobia. That's what happened. Some people can't get over Mr. Varadkar being a gay man as they raise it at every turn.

He used his position as a representative of the Irish people to try get Kylie. It's an abuse of power and makes the country look a bit like arseholes for electing such a gilly, IMO.

As regards his friend's story coming out about the blackmail, all it does is remind us Varadkar is under criminal investigation. If the idea was to garner some sympathy, I can't see it doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What's curious is why the Indo are reporting on a blackmail allegation from as far back as January, the timing of this story is curious at best and suspicious at worst. I asked quite simply , what was this all about and its timing, perfectly legitimate question's.

And I 100% these stunts trying to insinuate homophopic tendencies toward posters for daring to question Leo's childish and embarrassing antics relating to a pop singer are just pathetic, similar ludicrous accusations of sexism used on various other Leo related threads ultimately falls flat on their arse and are seen for what they are, stunts, Shallow, Demeaning and deflection tactics.

This Blackmail story absolutely reminds us a criminal investigation is still underway and I might add is taking an inordinate amount of time.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brown Sugar

Spot the difference....

Leo Varadkar wrote a letter to a pop star, and signed it off as Taoiseach of Ireland, in which he expressed his desire to meet up with her during her upcoming Dublin gig, and was later photographed with her, along with his mates.

Higgins wrote to Dylan and wished him a happy birthday.

Very poor attempt at deflection there from the poster Bubbaclaus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry for taking so long to get back but it was such a nice day that lunch became a picnic and time flew.

I was sitting under a tree on this lovely Autumn day ruminating about LV and his letter to KM.

I have now read all the posts about this matter and I can honestly say that I saw nothing to persuade me that LV has a case to answer over writing to KM.

An actress turned singer returns to the homeland of some of her ancestors and is reached out to by the Taoiseach, it's a nice story.

One fly in the ointment was the appalling handwriting but I suppose that's just a medic thing 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Fair enough. Would you call someone homophobic because they thought it was silly and a misuse of the office? Because that's why it's been going on for the last few days.

Very proud to see you have dedicated your very first post ever on boards.ie to responding to me 😀

Both letters are complete non events and they were both perfectly entitled to write letters to their musical heroes. Not sure what attempted "deflection" there is here, given there is nothing to deflect from. So it's a bit weird you are suggesting that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I have seen this posting style somewhere before🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm afraid I haven't been following the last few days.

When I get a chance I'll review them , two days is it you are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'll save you the trouble.

Leo went to festival. Said festival was mocked because it was crap music in some peoples opinions. Somebody pointed out that the music at 'The UK's most inclusive festival' was sterotypical.

Then the homophobia accusations.. When it was suggested that's not homophobic, then it transpired into musical tastes, and Leo used the office for personal bullsh*t, that Leo wrote a letter to Kylie, that was disputed, then it was proven. Then back and forth.

It seems it's mainly being used as a deflection tactic. Then somebody will pop in to the thread and say some sh*t like "Woah, there's a lot of anger in here" or "That's a racist remark" as they can't backseat mod according to the rules of the site, they will try and fabricate anger or start accusations of racism, homophobia, sexism, misogyny etc.. That doesn't work either, but they believe if they keep repeating it....

It is also used to try and annoy people into actually being angry, as that too, might get the thread closed down if there are enough of them.

It's just more deflection tactics mostly, and everyone gets caught up in it (which is their purpose),, but it's keeping the thread alive and relevant, so all good.

Where is the Michael D thread where his letter to Bob Dylan is discussed ad-nauseam?

Anywhere?

Here?

Nope.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It sounds like the derived meta arguments have eclipsed the primary substance, which doesn't sound very substantial.

The Kylie thing was brought up by the usual crew, laughing at the thought of Leo 'shaking his booty' to Kylie Mingoue.

It has been discussed and I called people out on their unconscious homophobia. Some posters freely admitted that they thought Leo liking Kylie Minogue was 'funny' and deserved to be laughed at.

It's there in black and white. I cannot control what other write.

With Leo, it all seems to be personal. Find me a post of the last few days that talked about policy, you won't. It's all about Leo picking his nose, Leo dancing to Cheryl COle, Leo writing a letter to Kylie, Leo on a government jet, which turned out to be entirely false. Gutter stuff to be honest.

So again, what is the actual point of this thread these days?

He is still under investigation, he is backing Coveney and his boyfriend posted a letter in a broadsheet tabloid in his defence, it is not all about his music choices and nose picking

So more or less gutter stuff and zero policy discussion.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

Stick to the topic

• Advertisement

It's genuinely one of the funniest things I've seen on this site in ages.

Introduce something completely incomparable with the Leo/Kylie letter,.namely Miggeldy wishing Dylan a happy birthday.

Claim both are equally normal. (Everyone agrees the Higgins happy birthday one is normal, but some opinions differ on the Varadkar letter)

Complain about the lack of a thread on miggeldy, even though both sides seem to agree what he did was normal.

FG arrogance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement