Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭jay1988

I'm really surprised at the levels of outrage on this?

The document he shared wasn't sensitive. He didn't gain, financially or otherwise, from sharing it. It wasn't best practice or the appropriate channel to share, but at the end of the day, most of the information was public at that stage.

People really think he needs to resign over this? Ha!

People? Or Men? (mostly men)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gadarnol wrote: »
    A vote of no confidence will really nail the govt parties. FF will have to back Varadkar and damn themselves even more for the next election. The Greens are in serious trouble. Varadkar’s resignation may well be the price of Greens continuing in govt. FG will have to swallow it.

It'll be long forgotten about by the time of the next election. The contract was agreed and finalized with the IMO on the third of April - the only issue seems to be that he shared it with a group of doctors instead of the Oireachtas first.
    Can't see the Greens pulling out for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

sabat wrote: »
    My my aren't these four partying gentlemen rather wide-eyed...

https://mobile.twitter.com/fionamacky/status/1322668634473435136

Are their pupils photoshopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Indeed
    Deos.this imply there was further leaks previous to this one??
    Hence the phrase,leo always delivers??

Easy questions for the opposition to Leo as he sits squirming in the Dail? Have you ever shared any other confidential documents? There is a strong possiblility that he has leaked other documents so Leo will not know what information Village magazine has and will have difficulty answering. His big mouth and ego was bound to get him in trouble eventually. Its going to be a fun ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

stayback wrote: »
    See it’s this type of talk about getting elected on the 5th count drive me crazy. We have a system of proportional representation in this country which means you get to give a preference for each candidate. If a party runs more than one candidate then you split the vote. Leo finished second 300 votes off the quota.. FG ran 2 candidates hence the vote was split. For example Sinn Fein ran one candidate in that constituency hence hoovered up all the votes . If they had run 2 candidates they might have won no seat or they might have got elected on the 5th count.

I’m just trying to explain this nonsense I hear about he only got elected on the 5th count. It doesn’t matter once you get elected it’s called vote managment.

For the record I am not an FG supporter.

It kinda does matter though when he was the first sitting Taoiseach ever to not be elected on the first count. Sinn Fein ran two candidates in Dublin mid west and both hovered up the votes so it didn’t go as you explained above. I’m a floating voter btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

FG PR department failing to bury this story. Their pals in the media must have grown tired of their games.

#sackvaradkar

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

There will be no live line outrage about this story like there was with Clifden. It’s already basically buried on the rte website. It’s going nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

manniot2 wrote: »
    There will be no live line outrage about this story like there was with Clifden. It’s already basically buried on the rte website. It’s going nowhere

Perhaps it's not as big a scoop as some people wish it was. I think that realisation hit a few people here yesterday, based on the fact people started to claim things like the Village must have held bits back and/or started trying to find other angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not so sure about that, Morning Ireland gave the story plenty of coverage.

As an aside, Barry Cowans defense of Leo is just Hillarious, Ironic he's defending Leo saying, everyone entitled to make mistakes. Sure Barry, they are but perhaps advisable to be upfront about those pesky mistakes you refer too. The Irony of Barry's interjection, is I'm sure not lost on those who recall Barry's mistakes.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If the leak has an ounce of decency,he will apologize for circulating a private and confidential document that was not for circulation, and resign his position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,697 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Very hard for Leo to say that it was of no sensitivity. As Aodhan O'Riordan has said, we/he were not to know at the time how NAGP were to use the document.

Going to be excruciating for him and FG tomorrow.
    The handwavers are talking rubbish about the story being buried by RTE or anyone else, you can see the ramping up happening all weekend, prolonged coverage this AM about it and no doubt throughout the day.

Popcorn time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Very hard for Leo to say that it was of no sensitivity. As Aodhan O'Riordan has said, we/he were not to know at the time how NAGP were to use the document.

Going to be excruciating for him and FG tomorrow.
    The handwavers are talking rubbish about the story being buried by RTE or anyone else, you can see the ramping up happening all weekend, prolonged coverage this AM about it and no doubt throughout the day.

Popcorn time.

Agreed but I've been wondering is there more about this story, not being discussed, namely what exactly is Leo's relationship with Maitiú Ó Tuathail, more and more photos of the two together surfacing on social media.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The Editor if the Village again this morning saying he 100% stands by the story in every aspect. Surely we'll get the defamation case now too. Interesting times!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You love an aul conspiracy theory. Remember all the predictions you made about the Dean having CCTV of Maria Bailey falling off a swing.

Now you think that the Village have bizarrely decided to hold back the most damaging stuff.... Yeah makes sense....

I'm afraid the weak story they published is all there is to it. A total non story.

Oh look, what's this paddy?

Magazine editor '100%' stands by Varadkar story
    Speaking to the Irish Examiner, Michael Smith, the editor of Village Magazine in which the article appeared, claimed that it has "more information on it still to come”.

As I was saying, Leo's lack of support is deafening, Leo himself is now getting paranoid by his own shadows - he's terrified wondering how much they know.

Gone by the end of the week you reckon?

It’s the major news story on Morning Ireland RTÉ radio right now- far from buried

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

If any other public servant did this, they would be sacked.

Regardless of Leo’s statement on Tuesday, sending the confidential documents across in the manner he did by courier, was out of order - any other serving minister would be disciplined or even forced to resign from office- let’s see just how many knives are out for Leo and just how much support he’ll be left with

What are the odds now on Covney being next T Shock when Martins time is up? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Helen McEntire not able to give a straight answer, getting absolutely grilled

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It’s the major news story on Morning Ireland RTÉ radio right now- far from buried

I think he's in major trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

McEntee had a 'mare on RTE. She won't be thanking Leo.

• Advertisement

dresden8 wrote: »

That certainly was an awful performance. Did she say at the end that she would share a confidential document if she thought she was helping? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

"The limit does not exist".

Why is it only coming to light now? It happened over 18 months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not so sure about that, Morning Ireland gave the story plenty of coverage.

As an aside, Barry Cowans defense of Leo is just Hillarious, Ironic he's defending Leo saying, everyone entitled to make mistakes. Sure Barry, they are but perhaps advisable to be upfront about those pesky mistakes you refer too. The Irony of Barry's interjection, is I'm sure not lost on those who recall Barry's mistakes.

Barry must have been promised a ministers role in the future when the fuss died down and trying to keep the colation parters happy.

dresden8 wrote: »

she was brutal .

Was kinda funny too given the media's lauding of her in recent months.

Why is it only coming to light now? It happened over 18 months ago!

Better late than never

Serious qs need to be asked about what else he's been leaking

As I thought...Village magazine tweeting 'more information to come'.

That is going to put some pressure on the Tanaiste if he is being less than forthcoming.

Helen McEntire not able to give a straight answer, getting absolutely grilled

Surely the straight talking Leo that we heard so much about in the papers a few weeks back will appear on morning tv today and clear it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

smurgen wrote: »
    Surely the straight talking Leo that we heard so much about in the papers a few weeks back will appear on morning tv today and clear it all up.

Another Monday night on Claire Byrne discussing a leaked document..........

I think he'll have to go on tonight and nail it. If he's still explaining tomorrow he's in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

So Leo will address the issue in the Dail on Tuesday.

Probably Tuesday evening to miss the 9 O'clock News. And then the story will be swallowed up by coverage of US politics. Irish journalists have turned into US politics experts lately.

Bizzare publication timing by Village given the oxygen absorbing US election coming tomorrow. Why not wait three weeks?

• Advertisement

The quid pro quo seems strong here. Not a normal situation. One wonders if the Gardai will have to look into the NAGP case again.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1323182900775440384?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement