Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I was away for a week - haven#t read full thread.

wonder why leo is being shafted now, always rumoured to be leaking to his media buddies. Since they'd never give up their sources he was pretty safe.

Why now? I'd wonder if - since this is a medical matter - if this is to do with upsetting Tony Holohan and NPHET a few weeks back.

NPHET are mostly medical and the knife is clearly from within that circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Why is it only coming to light now? It happened over 18 months ago!

There's obviously a lot more to come. Drip. drip. drip.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

McEntee is useless, allowed a bill through the dail that effectively allows hearsay as evidence of a debt - shocking stuff!!

https://www.matheson.com/news-and-insights/article/a-new-statutory-exception-to-the-rule-against-hearsay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

paw patrol wrote: »
    she was brutal .

Was kinda funny too given the media's lauding of her in recent months.

I didn't see it, but in general, as a minister, I think she is totally out of her depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It kinda does matter though when he was the first sitting Taoiseach ever to not be elected on the first count. Sinn Fein ran two candidates in Dublin mid west and both hovered up the votes so it didn’t go as you explained above. I’m a floating voter btw.

Why does it matter when he was elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Andy454 wrote: »
    McEntee is useless, allowed a bill through the dail that effectively allows hearsay as evidence of a debt - shocking stuff!!

https://www.matheson.com/news-and-insights/article/a-new-statutory-exception-to-the-rule-against-hearsay

I never understood why she was given a high profile ministry like Justice. Up until then you never heard her speak, all she ever seemed to do was stand behind either Coveney or Varadkar at news conferences she never said anything. Now maybe she was more vocal in the back ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I think that the 2 major bodies representing GPs were provided with the document, and that delays (possibly incompetence) in the Department of Health meant there was a 5 week delay to get it up on the website for everyone else that has, for their own reasons, decided not to join IMO or NAGP.

I never claimed everything was done perfectly here. Just that the claims of criminal behaviour are hysterical. What this situation has shown me is that there was extreme inefficiencies within the Department of Health in providing the agreement to the people that needed to see it.

Andrew is entitled to his own opinion also. I don't agree with it, but that doesn't matter. I didn't realise there was seemingly a gang waiting in baited breathe for a response to it, apologies for keeping my fans waiting. There was no question in the post which required a response and I took it as Andrew just giving his own thoughts.

The claims of criminal behaviour are completely hysterical. Those making those claims haven't a clue about the law.

This wasn't a cabinet document, so there is no issue in relation to the constitutional imperative around cabinet confidentiality. Secondly, the Official Secrets Act allows any Minister to authorise the circulation of any document. As the Taoiseach, it was well within his power to circulate any document, confidential or not. So no breach of the law.

Was it appropriate, well that is what we are to hear tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

blanch152 wrote: »
    The claims of criminal behaviour are completely hysterical. Those making those claims haven't a clue about the law.

This wasn't a cabinet document, so there is no issue in relation to the constitutional imperative around cabinet confidentiality. Secondly, the Official Secrets Act allows any Minister to authorise the circulation of any document. As the Taoiseach, it was well within his power to circulate any document, confidential or not. So no breach of the law.

If Leo Varadkar authorised the release of the document to O'Toole, then there would be a record of that. Clearly he did not do that - otherwise he'd be tripping over himself to show it.

You seem under the impression that An Taoiseach is king dick, and can do whatever they want with absolute immunity - in the real world it doesn't work like that thank god.

:D this is Ireland blanch, not Irelandistan, where the Taoiseach can carry on like some Sultan where laws and rules can be dismissed if they're an inconvenience.

Source?
    Another no-mark Twitter dump.

Fair enough, user blanch152. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Another no-mark Twitter dump.

Hi blanch you were missing all weekend. Are you down to being on boards in office hours now only? Must be a cushy number.

timmyntc wrote: »
    If Leo Varadkar authorised the release of the document to O'Toole, then there would be a record of that. Clearly he did not do that - otherwise he'd be tripping over himself to show it.

You seem under the impression that An Taoiseach is king dick, and can do whatever they want with absolute immunity - in the real world it doesn't work like that thank god.

I am not in the habit of writing memos to myself. I doubt the Taoiseach is, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

T Secondly, the Official Secrets Act allows any Minister to authorise the circulation of any document. As the Taoiseach, it was well within his power to circulate any document, confidential or not.

So presumably you have no issue with Government ministers circulating Confidential documents. So presumably it would be grand for Minister of Justice Dessie Ellis to raid the Stephens Green dungeon and courier the raft of Confidential documents to 53 Falls Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

dresden8 wrote: »
    McEntee had a 'mare on RTE. She won't be thanking Leo.

Colm Brophy was terrible on Newstalk yesterday. He really came across badly.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Well Leo, if you had ever helped the "people who get up early in the morning" you might have had enough public support to weather this storm but you never did. Letters to Kylie, colourful socks, shirtless cans with the lads, marathons, low hanging fruit referenda and endless soundbites is what you've delivered. I'm not saying anyone in opposition would have delivered anything better than you but you may find the good will of the early risers lacking.

smurgen wrote: »
    Hi blanch you were missing all weekend. Are you down to being on boards in office hours now only? Must be a cushy number.

I am a former public servant working for myself as I have explained before, hence I don't have a full or normal working week and can choose when to be on. You will also notice I tend to be on for short periods of concentrated time as I don't spend my life on boards.

Unfortunately, unlike one of your friends whose gone missing, I wasn't off in Portugal for weekend sunning myself.

Given you spend 24/7 on here, are you paid to be on or are you paid to do nothing?

I am not in the habit of writing memos to myself. I doubt the Taoiseach is, either.

Deliberately obtuse?

In order to authorise release of sensitive material there are procedures you have to go through - a cabinet Minister or An Taoiseach would be able to approve the release of said document to a person - but they still have to go through the official request procedure.

If they do not go through this procedure, but still release the document - that is a leak of confidential information.

It's not a "memo to Leo", it's a form requesting release of a document. But I expect you already knew that and are just deflecting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Who is Brian Triagain?

Well the gaelacised name should be a clue

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    So presumably you have no issue with Government ministers circulating Confidential documents. So presumably it would be grand for Minister of Justice Dessie Ellis to raid the Stephens Green dungeon and courier the raft of Confidential documents to 53 Falls Rd

That would be one of my fears about Minister for Justice Dessie Ellis.

Only got a chance to listen to it last night, Brophy was bizarre..

G.R "So Colm, was it appropriate for Leo to pass on those sensitive documents"?

Brophy: "it was a very good deal the GPs got"

G.R "dafuq? No-one asked if it was a good deal colm, was it appropriate for Leo to leak the details"

Brophy: "ah but you see, we must not lose sight of the fact that it was a very good deal"

Brophy, depriving a village of its idiot for an hour or two yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

He's terrible Generally, Reminds me of the guy who did wanderly wagon

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Deliberately obtuse?

In order to authorise release of sensitive material there are procedures you have to go through - a cabinet Minister or An Taoiseach would be able to approve the release of said document to a person - but they still have to go through the official request procedure.

If they do not go through this procedure, but still release the document - that is a leak of confidential information.

It's not a "memo to Leo", it's a form requesting release of a document. But I expect you already knew that and are just deflecting

Outline to me the procedures that apply to the Taoiseach releasing sensitive material, with a link if possible. Pretty much certain there is no such procedure applying to Taoisigh.

I didn't see it, but in general, as a minister, I think she is totally out of her depth.

Have to say, I'm generally impressed by her but this was pretty awful stuff, you'd think with Leo's PR team and expertise in Spin, She would have been better prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Get Real

The claims of criminal behaviour are completely hysterical. Those making those claims haven't a clue about the law .

There's two laws here. One is the Official Secrets Act.

The second is the Corruption Offences Act.

"An Irish official who uses confidential information obtained in the course of his or her office, employment, position or business for the purpose of corruptly obtaining a gift, consideration or advantage for himself or herself or for any other person shall be guilty of an offence"

Can you explain how Leo gets around the above paragraph please? Seeing as the rest of us have no clue.

Given that:
    a) by receiving this information "another person" could have benefitted from the info, and could have used it to appear more knowledgeable and recruit more GPS to his union, therefore increasing union dues, and financial revenue.

B) this same person, having received this info via WhatsApp, later went on to campaign for Leo for re-election.

Can you explain how this isn't the case, and how the above paragraph does not apply.

Thanks. Source: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/act/9/section/7/enacted/en/html

Outline to me the procedures that apply to the Taoiseach releasing sensitive material, with a link if possible. Pretty much certain there is no such procedure applying to Taoisigh.

Sure thing - what's your address?

Blanch makes a claim, then asks others to post a source confirming the claim he made.

Very odd behaviour this is, you couldn't make it up. :D

• Advertisement

Does Anyone know or perhaps be able to explain how the Village Got this story, Just seems odd a little known publication got such an explosive story, who gave it to them, what exactly was the motivation? This is the most confusing aspect of this story, 18 months after it happened. I presume someone Leo pee"d off is behind it and God knows he's ruffled quite a few feathers lately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement