Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭joemurt

mickdw wrote: »
    Yep martin following the 'party' line.
    Hearing his comments and his little slip and all we have seen of this government to date, Veradkar is the Taoiseach.

This is why the rest of the Fianna Fail TDs need to cut Martin loose now if they want to save the party.

Only opportunity they will have over the lifetime of the gov. Stay apart of this sh+t show FF destroyed, everyone loses their seat. Drop the axe and cut loose, blame everything on Martin and they build back a lot of credibility with the electorate.

Greens too.

Will they but 4 years of money and power before the people who voted for them is the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

mickdw wrote: »
    Unbelieveable. Saw it myself.

Pascal Donohoe did the same yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

joemurt wrote: »
    This is why the rest of the Fianna Fail TDs need to cut Martin loose now if they want to save the party.

this 1000%

Martin is a dire leader at his best. This only serves to cement the fact that he only cares about his stint as Taoiseach and the ramifications for FF are of no concern to him

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Inappropriate for the MoJ to be getting involved as we could be dealing with criminality.
    That would be an ecumenical matter. The MoJ has no authority to influence the criminal process anyway, her involvement strictly speaking is no less appropriate than any other.

But it's a fair point. As soon as the question of legality arose, she should probably have stepped back for PR reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

gadarnol wrote: »
    Martin seems to be indicating support for Varadkar which is no surprise given the political calculus. The Greens will inevitably fall in line. The govt is discredited further. It really is a question of much punishment can it absorb before Green defections on an individual basis begin.

This is common practice. Not everything is known. So you come out with quasi support and see what happens. Look at Maria Bailey. Varadker stood by her until he stopped. Even all the same FG trolls like Blanch, pintman , etc were extolling her saying nothing to see here like now.

You see this in professional sports as well where boards give their vote of confidence in a manager and sack them the next week.

Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Also be interesting to see how all this developed. Veradker has made some enemies, see Bailey, hogan, etc who have an axe to grind.

I’m sensing hogan may be at play here, he knows too much and too many people to not exact revenge. This is how he works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

paw patrol wrote: »
    this 1000%

Martin is a dire leader at his best. This only serves to cement the fact that he only cares about his stint as Taoiseach and the ramifications for FF are of no concern to him

Who would you replace him with?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

this 1000%

He doesn't. The only goal was to be Taoiseach, so he wouldn't be the only FF leader not to be. He had/has no plan for what to do when he got there. This is why for example they insist that schools will stay open regardless of CV-19.. because it was the primary agenda piece for his Government that schools would reopen.

It's like Enda's crusade for setting personal records, notably the only FG Taoiseach to get a consecutive term, previously. Didn't matter that we ended up with a weak, crippled Government with characters like Shane Ross and Katherine Zappone in the mix.... a situation which DIRECTLY led to the current state of affairs when they were punished for it in the last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,697 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ddarcy wrote: »
    This is common practice. Not everything is known. So you come out with quasi support and see what happens. Look at Maria Bailey. Varadker stood by her until he stopped. Even all the same FG trolls like Blanch, pintman , etc were extolling her saying nothing to see here like now.

You see this in professional sports as well where boards give their vote of confidence in a manager and sack them the next week.

Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Also be interesting to see how all this developed. Veradker has made some enemies, see Bailey, hogan, etc who have an axe to grind.

I’m sensing hogan may be at play here, he knows too much and too many people to not exact revenge. This is how he works.

Yes, there is the 'I have full confidence in him' kiss of death to it all.

Jack Chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Paddygreen wrote: »
    We have to keep the provos out at all costs. Even if that means brushing a few relatively minor things under the proverbial carpet if we have to. Really need a distraction now guys.

Random backbench TD to cause a scandal, something like off their face at a house party playing with fireworks in the next town over while wearing a MAGA hat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Acosta

gadarnol wrote: »
    Martin seems to be indicating support for Varadkar which is no surprise given the political calculus. The Greens will inevitably fall in line. The govt is discredited further. It really is a question of much punishment can it absorb before Green defections on an individual basis begin.

How long before new ministers are eligible for the big pension?

The Greens have already lost over 60 members in the last week due to the mother and baby homes debacle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Varadkar desperately hanging on until tomorrow night when the US election saves him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

elperello wrote: »
    I see Joe Duffy is taking a run at the story on Liveline in an hour's time.

Should be interesting.

Really? Whatever is "interesting" it isn't whatever the pompous ass Joe Duffy has to say

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Lads, whatever about anything else, can we please stop sharing Mick Caul in here. The information is out there in enough platforms already to not require the sharing of a Gemma O'Doherty supporters Twitter feed.

Presume a fair few of the anti-Varadkar-ites align with Gemma on a fair few things, tbf.

Just to be clear, I'd rather see him gone and Coveney in all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Not sure who'd want it . The best people mighnt actually want it and that in itself could be/is the problem.

my personal view on FF - I like John McGuinness think he did a good stint on the Public Accounts committee and now on his latest one - public expenditure , but does he want it? Will my bigging-up of him sway him to run ?:pac::pac:

Dara Callery probably has the internal power within FF (says me looking inward with my coffee shop analysis).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

When is Leo speaking to the dail?

It's 4.09 tomorrow - going to speak for 20mins followed by 70 mins of questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Holy Mary

Don't know about anybody else, but I think the whole thing stinks of nastiness with elements of blackmail thrown into the mix. Drip feeding snippets and implying 'there is more to come' goes right to the heart of a 'schoolyard bully.' Either out with it all, or take your concerns and evidence of same to the relevant authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Presume a fair few of the anti-Varadkar-ites align with Gemma on a fair few things, tbf.

Just to be clear, I'd rather see him gone and Coveney in all the same.

As a Corkman, I'd be all for Coveney coming into the role also. 2 Corkmen in a row as Taoiseach then :D

Don't see it happening though. The Village Magazine big scoop has turned out to be a bit of a damp squib based on what has been said by both sides so far.

this 1000%

Martin has been advised badly for the past some time. Very badly. He's a good man at heart.

He also has an opportunity to be ruthless here too and claw back a lot of credit with the electorate and his party.

Pre-empt a backbench revolt throwing him under the bus by not accepting Varadkars statement tomorrow, collapsing the gov and throwing Fine Gael under it instead.

Go into the next GE saying he will now work with SF if its the peoples will.

After 20+ years of watching the next door neighbours destroying entire countries and murdering 100,000s of people without a care in the world no one in Ireland gives a toss about 'SF/'tHe iRa'' and what they did to defend Irish people at this point. Its all for the audience over in Westminster rather than the benefit of people here.

But it will be his one and only chance before Fine Gael take their opputunity to stick the last nail in FF.

Lets see if he steps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Inappropriate for the MoJ to be getting involved as we could be dealing with criminality.

Are you saying that it is ok for the Minister for Justice to interfere in a criminal matter?

If the MoJ can't do that, why is it inappropriate for her to comment on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Really poor from Harris to be honest; completely sitting on the fence in case there is more to come.

What else could he be rationally expected to do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,697 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Are you saying that it is ok for the Minister for Justice to interfere in a criminal matter?

Who the f*** said anything about 'intefere with a criminal matter'.

It's a very simple sentence, read it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ddarcy wrote: »

Hogan himself had to resign in 1995 when as junior Minister for Finance he leaked Budget documents to the media. Given Leos instrumental role in Hogans resignation I doubt there is any love lost between them
    ooter wrote: »

Village magazine are trolling Varadkar at this stage. Id say Vincent Browne is having a good laugh about all this in the office. Vincent had Denis o'Brien personally threatening to sue him with the solicitors letter mentioning that his family home would be in danger. Browne batted that off and o'Brien did nothing in the end, it was just his usual bluster. So Id say Vincent is getting a good laugh at Varadkar threatening to sue Village for defamation when they know they are telling the truth, he is well used to empty threats.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Hogan himself had to resign in 1995 when as junior Minister for Finance he leaked Budget documents to the media. Given Leos instrumental role in Hogans resignation I doubt there is any love lost between them

Village magazine are trolling Varadkar at this stage. Id say Vincent Browne is having a good laugh about all this in the office. Vincent had Denis o'Brien personally threatening to sue him with the solicitors letter mentioning that his family home would be in danger. Browne batted that off and o'Brien did nothing in the end, it was just his usual bluster. So Id say Vincent is getting a good laugh at Varadkar threatening to sue Village for defamation when they know they are telling the truth, he is well used to empty threats.

Vincent eventually did lose his family home over the Village though, while Denis O'Brien continues to live the high life...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Just heard Michael Martin refer to Leo as "Taoiseach" before quickly correcting himself.....the ultimate fruedian slip

Well tbf Leo was Taoiseach at the time in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

blanch152 wrote: »

Are you saying it's a criminal matter?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    As a Corkman, I'd be all for Coveney coming into the role also. 2 Corkmen in a row as Taoiseach then :D

Don't see it happening though. The Village Magazine big scoop has turned out to be a bit of a damp squib based on what has been said by both sides so far.

I dunno, I think Varadkar is more popular with the general public post covid than he is within his own party. I can see plenty in FG just thinking it's time for a change.

Vincent eventually did lose his family home over the Village though, while Denis O'Brien continues to live the high life...

Crime pays. Should be in a cell like Varadkar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think the crux of this is Varadkar has made so many enemies both within FG and outside- I did hear Hogan was furious and he’s not someone I’d like to cross really. Very easy dig dirt on someone if you want to. Ditto Tony holohan and his comrades

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement