Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I can sense the disappointment around here that this hasn't played out the way the usual cranks wanted it to. There were high hopes of sackings and even criminal charges. People were predicting the fall of the government by now.

Well it's really looks like a damp squib. It's no longer the top story on RTE. Leo has the backing of the taoiseach. Hopes for a secret dossier that the Village magazine inexplicably held back won't be coming forward.

I'm afraid post US election this will be done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

road_high wrote: »
    I think the crux of this is Varadkar has made so many enemies both within FG and outside- I did hear Hogan was furious and he’s not someone I’d like to cross really. Very easy dig dirt on someone if you want to. Ditto Tony holohan and his comrades

Yeah he has stood on a few people's heads along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Floppybits wrote: »
    I never understood why she was given a high profile ministry like Justice. Up until then you never heard her speak, all she ever seemed to do was stand behind either Coveney or Varadkar at news conferences she never said anything. Now maybe she was more vocal in the back ground.

Her and Leo are great pals. He was invited to her wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 68,698 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I can sense the disappointment around here that this hasn't played out the way the usual cranks wanted it to. There were high hopes of sackings and even criminal charges. People were predicting the fall of the government by now.

Well it's really looks like a damp squib. It's no longer the top story on RTE. Leo has the backing of the taoiseach. Hopes for a secret dossier that the Village magazine inexplicably held back won't be coming forward.

Did you mistake here for the FG Whatsapp group?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Holy Mary wrote: »
    Don't know about anybody else, but I think the whole thing stinks of nastiness with elements of blackmail thrown into the mix. Drip feeding snippets and implying 'there is more to come' goes right to the heart of a 'schoolyard bully.' Either out with it all, or take your concerns and evidence of same to the relevant authorities.
    It sounds more like they are allowing anyone to come clean themselves first. Nothing like nastiness or blackmail on any level.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The ball hasn't even started rolling yet. Everyone adopting a wait and see approach until after he responds to the allegations in the Dáil tomorrow.

The Village have more to publish too.

More watery defence from FG colleagues today too. Doesn't bode well for Varadkar long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Zombo-Meme-02112020145214.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

No Greens comment yet that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

statesaver wrote: »

i did laugh at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Don't know about anybody else, but I think the whole thing stinks of nastiness with elements of blackmail thrown into the mix. Drip feeding snippets and implying 'there is more to come' goes right to the heart of a 'schoolyard bully.' Either out with it all, or take your concerns and evidence of same to the relevant authorities.

Well Leo could also come out and give us his version instead of pushing out the Three Stooges to bat for him,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

This is playing out well for the opposition. Leo looking like he is part of the old boys club leaking like a sieve , getting caught and then brazening it out, telling the plebs that it for the good of the country.FG ministers rowing in behind him and making themselves complicit and looking pretty stupid, see Helen.
    MM and FF look like a deer caught in the headlights. MM calling Leo the boss and saying that there is nothing to see. FF grass roots going bananas and seeing that MM is more loyal to Leo that the party because he depends on Leo for his position. Green looking like the best mudguard in history, they understand that if they push things and there is a general election then they are toast. So The opposition parties can stick the knife in tomorrow and see what Leo has. Will be interesting to see if there is a drip feed from Village magazine with extra goodies. If Leo can brazen this out he will be damaging the credibility of the three parties of government and if he gets caught with more excrement and has to resign he will be damaging the three parties of government.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when we first practice to deceive, something Leo has forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Holy Mary

Suckit wrote: »
    It sounds more like they are allowing anyone to come clean themselves first. Nothing like nastiness or blackmail on any level.

I disagree. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40074434.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I sense a lack of it :pac:

Leo has a chance to get everything out in the open tomorrow, that would be some sickener, knowing a media outlet have some damning news on you, but not knowing exactly how much or what it is that they have.

I remember Leo preaching in the Dail to Pearse Doherty about accountability post Bobby Storey funeral, and now it seems Leo's chickens have come home to roost.

There's a tweet that is now coming back to bite him on his hole.

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1304038964337291264?s=09

joemurt wrote: »
    Crime pays. Should be in a cell like Varadkar.

For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I wonder who is going to ask Leo during question time what other confidential documents he has leaked and will he provide a list to the Dail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Holy Mary

That would be some sickener, knowing a media outlet have some damning news on you, but not knowing exactly how much or what it is that they have.

Yes. My point exactly. Mind games and bullyboy tactics. And we complain about bullying in our schools? As stated before, either out with it all or bring the evidence to the relevant authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

That would be some sickener, knowing a media outlet have some damning news on you, but not knowing exactly how much or what it is that they have.

Yes. My point exactly. Mind games and bullyboy tactics. And we complain about bullying in our schools? As stated before, either out with it all or bring the evidence to the relevant authorities.

Accountability isn't bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,698 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Em...it wouldn't happen if there was no wrongdoing in the first place.

We have created this way of doing things our selves. By not demanding the highest standards and fudging issues like this, the only way is this cat and mouse game of giving a corrupt/dishonest/incompetent politician enough rope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭joemurt

No problem with Varadkar trying to bully the IMO into a deal by leaking it to a rival organization though?

Always the victims...........

So far in the thread the Leo-ites have played the following cards.

Homophobia. ✓
    Racism. ✓
    Son of an Immigrant. ✓

Now we are witnessing the bully card.

Full house it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

elperello wrote: »
    I see Joe Duffy is taking a run at the story on Liveline in an hour's time.

Should be interesting.

Sorry for the bum steer, no sign of it on Liveline

I posted the above at 12.45 after hearing J Duffy saying on The Ronan Collin's show that Liveline would be covering the Varadkar story.

I wonder what happened behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

'If ye can't do the time don't do the crime' comes to mind. Leo has absolutely nothing to worry about if he tells all.
    If he tries to play the smart ar$e he may just get caught out.

No one to blame but himself for all of this mess.
    Self inflicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You could have just cut and pasted your comments about Maria Bailey. Your predictions have been spectacularly wrong in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Floppybits wrote: »
    I wonder who is going to ask Leo during question time what other confidential documents he has leaked and will he provide a list to the Dail?

Has to be the main question, Leo has no idea if the Village has any other information, if he does not answer the question the pressure will ramp up. If he says no then we have to see if Village or others have anymore ammunition. As it is he must be feeling the heat.

Leo's personality was always about lots of unguarded comments and showing a sort of arrogance maybe that belies a deeper insecurity. You would have to think that someone with that sort of personality has been less than careful with other restricted documents. I think at some level he wants to be liked and has a slight feeling of insecurity so he shows how powerful and part of the gang he is by showing favour and giving privileges to those he needs to impress. He was always tweeting about him being in the inner sanctum of power and he used that access to gain some personal prestige, he seems needy and that can be dangerous for a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I presume a lot more warnings are being issued

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The criminal charges stuff was silly nonsense, completely overblown by the Village, and taken up by those magpies on here who flock to every anti-government cause and who couldn't even wait to consider what they might be and under what Act.

Acting inappropriately is an issue, but doesn't seem to be enough to be a resigning matter.

The Village are claiming to have more on this, but given their failure to get the criminal charges stuff right, I suspect all they have is O'Tuathail boasting about influence. Now whether that is real or imagined influence is the key. They will undoubtedly feed some question to some gombeen in the Dail to say something - Mick Wallace would have their perfect stooge if he was still there - so they can report on the exchange as it will be under privilege. If it doesn't stand up, Varadkar is ok, but who knows at this stage.

Varadkar won't serve notice of suing until after the Dail questions, as he can't be accused of silencing them before he stands up in the Dail. So today's tweets about waiting in the office mean very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

MM backing Leo. Sinn Fein online troll army and Leo hater fetish crowd going crazy as evidenced in this thread which appears infested with hatred and spite. ' Night all enjoy your echo chamber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

elperello wrote: »
    Sorry for the bum steer, no sign of it on Liveline

I posted the above at 12.45 after hearing J Duffy saying on The Ronan Collin's show that Liveline would be covering the Varadkar story.

I wonder what happened behind the scenes.

The usual clickbait by Joe.

Ronan usually prefaces the promo with 'Here's Joe with what "might be" on the liveline'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement